Mass Effect

Bokishi

There are four different endings plus the choices of three romances and atleast 1 or maybe two more party member deaths (for a total of 3 possible). If memory serves...

Wrex, Kaidan or Ashley can die.. but per game it's max 2 members, Wrex + Kaidan or Ashley. As far as I know anyway.

oh and I'm interesting in hearing about the endings as well, I've only seen the "human joins the council"

Fortune favors the bald.

So is there any parts of the game that make the game replayable that isn't just a specific part of the game that changes in a not very important way?

Sure there are different endings but I have to go through a lot of stuff that I've already seen to get there, it's the same with the Kaidan/Ashley choice and I'm not replaying to watch another Bio romance.

edit: I guess I'm looking for the same replayability that KOTOR had with their dark/light choice.

Edited by Moatilliatta
sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

what are the four endings?

Human empire

Human led council

humans join the council

and...

Depending on your PC's alignment, be it paragon or renegade heavy, there are some significant dialogue changes that reflects your character. For example:

If you are a paragon and you saved the council, the Council would comment what a goodie goodie things humans are and all races in the galaxy should take guidance from the race and blah blah. On the other hand if your character is a renegade, they would comment how ruthless and efficient and blah blah the human race are.

Eventually you won't need money anymore so you'll omnigel your equipment instead of selling it. Then it gets easy.

only after you get the rich achievement! (LOVE the HMW weapons.)

386 damage for an assault rifle? 287 damage for an assault rifle? Not to mention the insane accuracy ratings. All you really had to do was throw on some frictionless materials and it was too easy. I enjoyed the early game more, having to use tactics, managing my powers, and using cover to survive. Like Kotor, by the time you got to the end, nothing could really stop you. The only reason the endgame offered any challenge at all in Kotor was because of the cheap abilities the bad guys had, infinite respawns for the battling through the star force part, and Darth Malak and his health fill up machines.

Eventually you won't need money anymore so you'll omnigel your equipment instead of selling it. Then it gets easy.

only after you get the rich achievement! (LOVE the HMW weapons.)

386 damage for an assault rifle? 287 damage for an assault rifle? Not to mention the insane accuracy ratings. All you really had to do was throw on some frictionless materials and it was too easy. I enjoyed the early game more, having to use tactics, managing my powers, and using cover to survive. Like Kotor, by the time you got to the end, nothing could really stop you. The only reason the endgame offered any challenge at all in Kotor was because of the cheap abilities the bad guys had, infinite respawns for the battling through the star force part, and Darth Malak and his health fill up machines.

Just wondering, you're refering to insane difficulty?

The game to me was easy with the difficulty setting ranging from normal to hard. Up to the point of insanity, the enemies suddenly seem to have an increase in armor stats and their regen ability almost became too fast for my damage to keep up. I had taken several reloads just to complete Fist's bar and I wonder how would the game difficulty be in the later half.

• 3 weeks later...

I just finished Mass Effect and may I say "meh".

I didn't particularly enjoy the FPS feel to it and the story line felt forced. The romance felt horribly tacked on and it was just... meh...

I guess I'm one of those girls who does't really play games, I watch interactive movies... and as movies goes, ME just doesn't have anything particularly memorable.

Anybody here catch that? All I understood was 'very'.

I have to agree. Bioware was going for emotion, but Mass Effect had no emotion at all. It was just "Serious soldiers in space".

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

The side quests got me. Every uncharted planet was the same thing. Out of my 30 hours of gameplay 15 of it was driving around surveying minerals, solving some random problem occuring on the planet in a paragonic or renegadic (words? lol) way, and running into the tremors monsters. Go to the next planet rinse and repeat.

They set up something though I think with a lot of potential.

Mass Effect 1 and Jade Empire 1 had the same problem; All flash, no substance.

Edited by Maverick4101

How moddable is ME? Not that this fact could make up for the DRM, but it's nice to know anyways - just in case they end up putting out a "light" version. :shifty:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Yeah, we haven't heard comments like these before. Please stop saying (game) pwns (other game), it really doesn't help at all.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

The protheans died 50k years ago right? then why is there a monument that makes you relive the memories of a Cro-Mangon man from maybe 7k years ago?

I didn't experience this in ME, where can you do that?

Fortune favors the bald.

7000 years ago humans were pretty much at their modern stage. Cro-Magnom species was more about 70,000 to 50,000 years ago.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

From Wikipedia: Cro-Magnons lived from about 45,000 to 10,000 years ago in the Upper Paleolithic period of the Pleistocene epoch. Cro-Magnon were anatomically modern, only differing from their modern day descendants in Europe by their more robust physiology and slightly larger cranial capacity.[3] Of modern nationalities, Finns are closest to Cro-Magnons in terms of anthropological measurements.

haha I knew something was wierd about the Finnish people.. :*

Fortune favors the bald.

Hey, we can't help having been the dominant culture before somebody decided to invent farming! I mean, how was we to know that you can actually replant those weird looking things?!

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

• 2 weeks later...

ME is better. KOTOR series is oevrrated. ME has a better story, combat, writing, characters, music, graphics, quests, C&C, enemies, powers, character creation, character customization, and pretty much everything else.

Only inventory is crap. Then again, so is KOTOR series'. *shrug*

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I preferred KOTOR's party interaction to Mass Effect's. I hated the fact I had to be aboard the Normandy to talk to my companions (other than conversations in cutscenes). IMO, it flows better if you can speak to them at any time.

Which isn't to say the KOTOR interaction was perfect, as the whole [so and so looks like he wants to talk to you] was a bit lame. But overall, I'd take the party interaction and dialogue about their backstories in KOTOR over what we got in ME.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

The only character interaction that ME had over KOTOR was lesbian sex and that's it

Well, uh... that IS a pretty big bonus. :shifty:

• 1 month later...

The game was fun. Though, it only makes me even more against character romance threads. At least until they can do it right. It's either Ashley, the cheesy poetry quoting religious girl who feels the need to prove herself (she lost me at poetry), and who looks like a stroke victim (though everyone in the game has lazy eye, that just makes it more creepy) or tentacle haired girl with a baby face who is more socially awkward than Sand/Hades.

Some of the dialogue was unintentionally hilarious. "Relax... EMBRACE ETERNITY"

But the gameplay was tons of fun. The AI was slightly dissapointing. They have these interestingly laid out areas with traps and choke points, but the main tactic of enemies is to rush towards you, so you're rarely fighting beyond the front door. Though the mini-expansion was much better about that.

The ending was undeniably awesome. And I look forward to the sequel.

And now I get the joke:

You're right.

I'll stop him.

Not if I can help it!

That's some deep choice right there. The way the game treated your dialogue "choices" has me wondering if the different choices actually result in different responses 3/4 of the time.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

The game was fun. Though, it only makes me even more against character romance threads. At least until they can do it right. It's either Ashley, the cheesy poetry quoting religious girl who feels the need to prove herself (she lost me at poetry), and who looks like a stroke victim (though everyone in the game has lazy eye, that just makes it more creepy) or tentacle haired girl with a baby face who is more socially awkward than Sand/Hades.

Some of the dialogue was unintentionally hilarious. "Relax... EMBRACE ETERNITY"

But the gameplay was tons of fun. The AI was slightly dissapointing. They have these interestingly laid out areas with traps and choke points, but the main tactic of enemies is to rush towards you, so you're rarely fighting beyond the front door. Though the mini-expansion was much better about that.

The ending was undeniably awesome. And I look forward to the sequel.

And now I get the joke:

You're right.

I'll stop him.

Not if I can help it!

That's some deep choice right there. The way the game treated your dialogue "choices" has me wondering if the different choices actually result in different responses 3/4 of the time.

I was always just annoyed when you put a certain inflection on a line and figured "eh that'll net me a paragon point" then you get a renegade. Of course this is before you realize right responses are always top:paragon Middle: grey bottom: renegade.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.