KOTOR III MMO Confirmed?

I don't know the validity, but it's hit the front page of digg and would fit the rumors based on Bioware's new Austin studio for MMO.

http://www.primotechnology.com/2007/10/19/...kotor-universe/

"Working for Davik was like driving a spike in the side of your head. Sure, you got something new up there, but in the end, you've lost something as well." - Canderous

"But I though Jedi weren't allowed to love." - Handmaiden

"But some do it anyway. We call it pulling a Bindo." - The Exile

The site has the credibility of a duck. I know a source close to Bioware that told me they're working on the Firefly MMO.

There's absolutely no reason why "a source close to Bioware" would give an official confirmation to some random weblog that can't even get a working frontpage.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I don't know the validity, but it's hit the front page of digg and would fit the rumors based on Bioware's new Austin studio for MMO.

http://www.primotechnology.com/2007/10/19/...kotor-universe/

I would hate for this to become true. KOTOR doesn't belong in the MMORPG world, period.

Some things are made for singleplayer modes, and that's it.

Amen :brows:

"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster - and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes into you"

QUOTE(The Architect @ May 9 2007, 05:18 PM)

And if LA announces KotOR III will never be made shortly after TSLRP is shut down, is it reasonable to assume that what happened to Alderaan in A New Hope would happen to LA HQ?

Bioware and Lucasarts must've listened to the very large groups of people complaining about the lack of multiplayer and co-op :brows:

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Gamespot has a rumor control report on this. It's certainly not confirmed, but I accept the point that, alas, a Kotor MMORPG has a sort of inevitable logic about it. An announcement wouldn't honestly suprise me.

A KotOR MMORG wouldnt surprise me either, really its something that has to happen regardless of the very few naysayers that cant see the big picture.

Bioware doing it would surpise me thogh, Id expect a Mass Effects MMORPG from them before they did anouther companies IP again.

Still though Im crossing my fingers and toes for a KotOR MMORPG by a company that knows the product and can deliver a quality game (unlike SWG). Just way to many Fantasy MMORPGs out there and The new TR by Richard Garriot is a terrible terrible game.

Still though Im crossing my fingers and toes for a KotOR MMORPG by a company that knows the product and can deliver a quality game (unlike SWG). Just way to many Fantasy MMORPGs out there and The new TR by Richard Garriot is a terrible terrible game.

KOTOR is Fantasy. Even moreso than Star Wars proper.

I really hope this rumor is true. A KOTOR MMO would be da filthy. I've been playing WoW for the last two years and am so ready for a change. ;))

Just thinking about a KOTOR MMO, though, what kind of classes would they have? I assume the same ones from the KOTOR single-player games. Guardians would be DPS, Consulars would be healers and buffers, and Sentinels would be a hybrid class? They would have to come up with a new class to be a tank. I never played SWG so I'm not sure how they worked out the classes in that game.

But man, can you imagine a KOTOR MMO done by BioWare? There would be full PvP. You could probably play as either Sith or Jedi, and maybe they would even open the race selections. Human, Twilek, Yoda's race (Whills?). I don't know. I'm just having a fanboi moment.

Needless to say, I hope this all true. :))

WoW ruined Warcraft Mythos. Kotor MMO would do same thing to SW (although EU has already done severe damage to it)

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

I rather have them do a Jade Empire MMO.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

As long as they bring the KOTOR story arc to some satisfying conclusion, I'll be happy.

In an MMORPG? Highly unlikely, I would think. :shifty:

Yeah.

If it is a MMORPG, I probably wouldn't play it anyways. Oh well, nothing is certain yet. I would much appreciate a strong story driven single player K3 of course.

KOTOR is Fantasy. Even moreso than Star Wars proper.

KotOR is sci fi but thanks for that oh so important addiction you made.

To answer someone elses question

SWG had pretty much every class you could think of, including classes that didnt exist in SW (creature Handler...LOL I didnt see any people running around the planets with pet rancors following them in toe in any of the movies).

Really though, the classes wouldnt be that hard to make, start with soldier, scout, smuggler like KotOR 1 did and at some point allow players to trade up to a more advanced class, be it jedi, sith, bounty hunter, which ever and have a interesting and complete story line of quests to attain those classes. Problem solved.

At one point in SWG history they created the force sensitive village, this was by far the best creation they ever made, just they FORGOT that going jedi was a solo thing and they forced grouping in the village which ruined the idea. Any KotOR MMORPG could make the same type of thing but created for solo play with more story and its all over but the crying.

Anyways, again I still think a Mass Effects or Jade Empire MMORPG more likely from Bioware but at least there is hope in there being a DECENT SW MMORPG

KotOR is fantasy, not scifi

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Fantasy is a genre that uses magic and other supernatural forms as a primary element of plot, theme, and/or setting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantasy

If wikipedia is not to your liking.

Also, fantasia. Literature. an imaginative or fanciful work, esp. one dealing with supernatural or unnatural events or characters: The stories of Poe are fantasies of horror.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fantasy

Star Wars does not elaborate or explore science or technology enough to truly be considered Sci-Fi. KOTOR goes all out and does little else but explore the supernatural aspects of the setting. An MMO of it would be only cosmetically different from the fantasy MMOs. We'd still have everyone running around with swords, wizards casting spells, and all that nonsense. Only the castles would look grey and shiny and instead of flying the griffin to a mountain named Blackrock to fight an old god, we'll fly a ship named Griffin to an asteroid named Blex'ock to fight an ancient creature of the Dark Side.

We do indeed require a Sci-Fi or otherwise non-fantasy MMO, however KotOR won't fit the bill. EVE does, but it has its share of problems. Perhaps because of it's non-traditional design.

Edited by Tale

Fantasy is a genre that uses magic and other supernatural forms as a primary element of plot, theme, and/or setting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantasy

If wikipedia is not to your liking.

Also, fantasia. Literature. an imaginative or fanciful work, esp. one dealing with supernatural or unnatural events or characters: The stories of Poe are fantasies of horror.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fantasy

Star Wars does not elaborate or explore science or technology enough to truly be considered Sci-Fi. KOTOR goes all out and does little else but explore the supernatural aspects of the setting. An MMO of it would be only cosmetically different from the fantasy MMOs. We'd still have everyone running around with swords, wizards casting spells, and all that nonsense. Only the castles would look grey and shiny and instead of flying the griffin to a mountain named Blackrock to fight an old god, we'll fly a ship named Griffin to an asteroid named Blex'ock to fight an ancient creature of the Dark Side.

We do indeed require a Sci-Fi or otherwise non-fantasy MMO, however KotOR won't fit the bill. EVE does, but it has its share of problems. Perhaps because of it's non-traditional design.

Yeah.

I think a lot of people get the two genres mixed up. I've always seen fantasy as pretty much what your first definition said. It's usually a completely fictional setting, a make believe kingdom, world, galaxy or whatever. In a completely made up timeline. Using magic or other forms of supernatural abilities to advance or enhance the story plot.

Science Fiction takes place in an actual setting but with ficitonal elements. Like Blade Runner for example. Blade Runner is sci-fi. It takes place here on Earth, in a futuristic Los Angeles, in an actual year. There was no magic in it at all. The superpowerful beings so to speak, were Replicants. Androids that were near perfect in every way. These Replicants were then used to explore the meaning of human life, and how life itself is such a short thing, that in the end we realize when it's all said and done, we wish we had more time.

That's sci-fi.

Another good example of sci-fi is Star Trek. Now, it definitely has a TON of fantasy elements in it, but by and large it's roots are here on Earth. Earth makes numerous appearances throughout the Star Trek universe. And they explain mystical things and events not as magic, but as advanced science. Star Trek often explores the exact same themes that Blade Runner explored. All sci-fi does.

So, even though the two genres are very similar, there are some very noticeable and distinct thematic differences that distinguish the two.

So how would a series with only single-player iterations and a serious accent on story be a good MMO idea?

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Science Fiction takes place in an actual setting but with ficitonal elements. Like Blade Runner for example. Blade Runner is sci-fi. It takes place here on Earth, in a futuristic Los Angeles, in an actual year. There was no magic in it at all. The superpowerful beings so to speak, were Replicants. Androids that were near perfect in every way. These Replicants were then used to explore the meaning of human life, and how life itself is such a short thing, that in the end we realize when it's all said and done, we wish we had more time.

That's sci-fi..

Actually, no. Otherwise Orson Scott Card's Alvin series is scifi, because it is set in an alternate timeline of American history.

The dividing factor here is that fantasy doesn't aim to explain it's phenomena, like magic - it just is. Like the Force and how it can be used and why people become ugly when they wear black and telepathically strangle others. Science fiction on the other hand is just that, most often there is a scientific basis for what is happening. For instance, Dragonriders of Pern looks lot like fantasy from it's thematic elements - dragons, kingdoms, whatever. It has no relation to Earth, or is an "actual setting" in any other way. Nevertheless, it is science fiction because all the magic in the setting is explained, there may be undisclosed phenomena, but that's only because the characters have yet to verify the origins of it. The dragons are genetically modified and specially bred telepathic lizards, whom they feed sulphurous rock to make them breath fire. The great evil is a virulent fungus infestation that can spread through vacuum of space as well. Everything has a basis on laws of nature, physics even, no matter how extraordinary(or stupid, in case of dragons of Pern :blink: ) something seems.

Scifi doesn't need to have it's roots on anything that happened on Earth or anything that has existed, as long as it shares the basis on science.

Of course, if we add space opera, anachronistic history and Vonnegut here, things become a bit muddled. This, however, is the literary argument.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

You know... I don't know how I'd feel if this were true.

My first reaction is that KOTOR succeeded as a single-player and that was where it belonged. Today we don't see many single-player RPGs in the spotlight, and I really enjoyed what KOTOR did. While I enjoy playing with other people a lot (I am a World of Warcraft player), somehow running around the galaxy and bumping into other Jedis on the "same" journey doesn't seem the same. KOTOR I or II wouldn't have worked out if there were a galaxy full of Revans or Exiles. Yes, they would write the story so it wasn't based on you, the one special Jedi, but I enjoyed that very much...

Then again, if there was a company to do a KOTOR MMO, I believe that Bioware would do a fantastic job with it. And an MMO would be perfect of KOTOR's "there is no one ending..." I think that it would be a quality game and that I would still enjoy it greatly and that the plot would be well written and executed.

Overall, I don't think that this is true, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was...

"Working for Davik was like driving a spike in the side of your head. Sure, you got something new up there, but in the end, you've lost something as well." - Canderous

"But I though Jedi weren't allowed to love." - Handmaiden

"But some do it anyway. We call it pulling a Bindo." - The Exile

Take away the droids and starships you still have the same basic plotline that Star Wars has. Take away the Force and the plotline of Star Wars crumbles to dust. The Force is Star Wars' magic system and it cannot exist without the Force therefore Star Wars is fantasy.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Guest The Architect

I can't believe some people actually think that there's even a chance that KotOR III will be a MMORPG. I mean seriously, LA isn't anywhere near stupid enough to do that. They know better than to rip out the heart of the KotOR series thus far and replace it with ****.

I know what the classic argument against the above is, however, there is a difference between opinion and common sense.

I can't believe some people actually think that there's even a chance that KotOR III will be a MMORPG. I mean seriously, LA isn't anywhere near stupid enough to do that. They know better than to rip out the heart of the KotOR series thus far and replace it with ****.

That's what makes this rumor crazy enough to be true. Publishers these days don't tend to give a flying **** for the "heart" or "spirit" of a game series. As long as they can rake in $cash$ to line their executive pockets, most of them will happily rape a franchise so hard, that even its DOS ancestors will feel it.

Edited by jaguars4ever
manthing2.jpg