Halo 3 Gone Gold

Meshugger

I think the whole point of that update was to say the game is finished and is being manufactured.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Heh. PvP/competitive multiplayer is completely irrelevant to me. Co-op is virtually all I play nowadays (except for some sp titles - but those need to be really good).

There are many things I don't find particularly enticing about Halo. Admittedly, it doesn't have good level design, particularly the second half, once you're introduced to the second faction of losers. In fact, sometimes it's downright cut-and-paste, which can lead to several areas in a row looking quite similar to each other. I would have a problem with this if the individual battles weren't enjoyable in and of themselves. But this forum is made mostly of RPG fans, criticizing repetitive gameplay here seems hilarious.

Otherwise, story/characters/music/production values overall seem greatly overrated. If no one would have told me that the series was one of the most popular last gen, I wouldn't have noticed.

One could argue that this warrants the game's dismissal as not worth playing, but I find it succeeds quite well at the '30 seconds of fun' philosophy the devs were aiming at, which complements the co-op really really well. The previous design points are pretty disappointing overall, but there are many things that it executes exceptionally well. Now, it didn't break any new ground in any particular field, but I don't really give a crap. Recharging shields, lots of ammo lying around, respawning in co-op when out of danger, among other things, add greatly to focusing the co-op experience on the fun gameplay itself, rather than managing other things instead. I find them quite conducive to co-op.

Lastly, and I know I wouldn't like the game nearly as much if this wasn't there, the Legendary difficulty is awesome. Especially in the early levels, I can't even remember the number of times my brother and me have gotten ourselves killed over and over and over and over again fighting completely overwhelming numbers/odds. In this diff, depending on the circumstances, even fighting a few of the stock enemies can be quite challenging, especially given how quickly your shield runs out when you're out in the open. This led to a lot of creative planning, heroic kamikaze actions, or hectic escape missions while being attacked from every front. This wouldn't be nearly as fun without co-op, either. With both of these elements (Legendary diff + co-op), I probably would have dismissed the game, but they completely make up for the rest of the game's flaws and so much more.

I'm fully aware of its flaws, yet it's my favorite FPS. Other games like HL2 may theoretically have superior design aspects in almost every way, but they don't have those two. In that, I get much more fun out of generic co-op FPS #235 (lol halo) than I would out of a great sp FPS (such as Bioshock, supposedly). Halo 3 is pretty much my GOTY by default unless some other game completely surprises me.

Now, this doesn't really apply if you're not the type of gamer who likes to share awesome gaming experiences, or if you'd rather be killing other players instead. Now, depending on the game, though, killing the other players can be a very frequent occurrence even in co-op ('whoops').

I'm not even a Halo fanboy or a populist or whatever label you people call Eddo anyways, I don't like a lot of aspects in Halo. I'm just a co-op player, and Halo excels at that. And that's all I need.

Nick and me are playing quite a bit of Rainbow 6: Vegas co-op while waiting for Halo 3. If any of you co-op players are interested in jumping in, or preemptively so for once Halo3 comes out, PM some death threats.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

I'll PM your face!

I mean, I would, would it be that I actually owned a 360.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Coop is fun, but sometimes you want to scream at the developers to include the four player mode (gears, i'm looking at you) yes it would take a little reworking but hey you can make it happen.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I played Halo and Halo 2. Didn't like either one.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

At least I gave them a try in the efforts to expand my gaming horizon. :(

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Yeah Sand, atleast you tried them... So open minded for you LOL....

You're right though even hardcore FPS fans I know don't rate it. I certainly don't see it as anything but sub-par, nice story I suppose, but the story isn't the game.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

Even mediocre games become good with co-op, and the Halos are known for their excellent co-op.

That is totally true. It even applies to horrible games. A couple of years back, a friend of mine had a really awful Dragonball Z game on his Gamecube. But we ran through it in coop mode, and had a lot of fun. :/

But yeah, I honestly don't care about Halo 3 at all. I have Bioshock and Warhawk. Those two games will hold me over just fine for a little while. Halo 3 is going to be infinitely more popular than both titles, and receive much more praise...but I know I won't like it to anywhere near the extent.

Halo. Bleh.

I played through both Halo and Halo 2 in coop with one of my friends who is a die hard Halo fan, and I didn't really enjoy either of them too much... They just didn't impress me -- not story-wise, not gameplay-wise and not that much in terms of visuals either -- and near the end of the 2nd one I was bored to tears. I had a hell of a lot more fun playing through Dark Alliance with my girlfriend tbh.

I guess in the end it just comes down to taste. I know I'll pass on Halo 3, coop or otherwise.

L.

Edited by Lorfean

Shadow Thief of the Obsidian Order

My Backloggery

I played through both Halo and Halo 2 in coop with one of my friends who is a die hard Halo fan, and I didn't really enjoy either of them too much... They just didn't impress me -- not story-wise, not gameplay-wise and not that much in terms of visuals either -- and near the end of the 2nd one I was bored to tears. I had a hell of a lot more fun playing through Dark Alliance with my girlfriend tbh.

I guess in the end it just comes down to taste. I know I'll pass on Halo 3, coop or otherwise.

L.

Did you try shooting your friend in the back during a rather tense moment?

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Did you try shooting your friend in the back during a rather tense moment?

Um. No.

I was under the impression that that's what the competitive multiplayer modes were for... :mellow:

L.

I was under the impression friends like to make friendly jabs once in a while. It makes life interesting. And funny.

It's like stealing your best friend's girlfriend. She's not really your type, but you just wanted to see the look on his face when he catches you two sleeping together. And after he stops trying to kill you and you stop laughing, you two can compare notes!

Edited by Tale

It's like stealing your best friend's girlfriend. She's not really your type, but you just wanted to see the look on his face when he catches you two sleeping together. And after he stops trying to kill you and you stop laughing, you two can compare notes!

Right. Well, see, I never did that either so that probably explains it then.

Look, of course we took jabs at each other while playing, just not the shooting-each-other-in-the-back-during-a-tense-moment type of jabs. We did that in the competitive multiplayer modes.

Bottom line is that I simply didn't enjoy the Halo games that much. Taste differs and all that :thumbsup:

L.

Shadow Thief of the Obsidian Order

My Backloggery

So, my friend turns out to have a 360. Totally going to be playing it with him. Didn't know when he'd get one for my to leech off of.

Sorry, had to post it.

20070914.jpg

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I enjoyed Halo 1, i thought it was entertaining. I would like to play the other two, but i don't see myself running out to the store just to get Windows Vista or an XBox for one game. One game isn't worth $150 - $400 dollars too me for the upgrade, unless its Duke Nukem.

Yarr!

Edited by WITHTEETH

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

I sure as hell wouldn't have bought a 400$ system just for Halo 3. I bought the 360 because eventually Kotor 3 will come out on it, and Mass Effect, and Burnout, and other games.

I bought the 360 because eventually Kotor 3 will come out on it

Hah!

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Just bought my 360 today. Got blue dragon and hopefully I'll be able to get an order of halo 3 even though I doubt it. :'(

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.