This thread is reserved for the Fallout 3 teaser...

Wow, except for seing pipboy, that was a bit underwhelming.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

OOOO

I bet the online community's smarting over that one. That song was Tim Cain's original choice for Fallout 1's theme music. Couldn't get the rights.

I really do not like the game engine. But we know it'll be out in '08. That's all I could ask for.

Now let's continue with Sand's debate over whether or not everything that flies is a bird.

it's up at voodooextreme (www.ve3d.com) as well, and loaded rather quickly for me. i suppose they captured the appropriate feel, but i never got into 1 or 2 so it's hard for me to judge.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Is it just me or does it look too much like the intro of Fallout 1? If it really does then I consider it not a good thing, as that means lack of creativity. I think that they can "capture the appropriate feel" without doing the same thing as FL1. Something like what Fallout 2 did with its intro. But I guess it's just a teaser so one cannot really tell what is to come...

I think therefore I am?

Could be!

Or is it really someone else

Who only thinks he's me?

I'm glad we don't live in an age where just about anyone can cobble up something that's made to look like Fallout. Power Armor, ruined city, Ron Pearlman... I guess that's an indication Bethesda know what Fallout is about and I have to say "I'm sold!" or something like that?

Wake me up when someone has any information on the gameplay. ktnxbie

I'm glad we don't live in an age where just about anyone can cobble up something that's made to look like Fallout. Power Armor, ruined city, Ron Pearlman... I guess that's an indication Bethesda know what Fallout is about and I have to say "I'm sold!" or something like that?

Right, because teasers are usually made to get people in the mind-set of first day purchases, not to simply arouse interest.

And it's Perlman.

Edited by Vic

Right, because teasers are usually made to get people in the mind-set of first day purchases, not to simply arouse interest.

Yes, because there's definitely no one in the whole of the intardnet falling into the pedestrian mindset I was joking about.

****'s sake.

I think I'm with Kotaku posters and am sick of these countdowns to every little thing. Not that long ago we had a countdown to the announcement of a company name. Not even a game, not even the name of a game, a name of a company that makes games. Next we'll be getting countdowns to them hiring new employees, including when they get a new accountant.

Because countdowns are so rad.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

As far as I'm concerned they nailed the intoro movie at least. So I think it shows they at least have a clue at what they're doing here. Obviously nothing of relevance was revealed, other than that the estimated release date is Fall 2008. But it did get me a little excited. Damn it, I don't want to be excited about this game. I want to be indifferent. But so far Bethesda has done a lot of good things and none really bad. Then again, the more important stuff is yet to be revealed (game play, rules set etc) so it could still go either way.

None the less, that teaser left me wanting more, which I suspect is damn good grades for a teaser.

Saw the teaser and to tell the truth I am not impressed. Nothing of substance was released so I shall remain skeptical that Bethesda will make a decent Fallout game. I shall still be expecting Oblivion with Guns.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Nothing of substance was released

teaser

If they are going to hype up that much they should have something worthwhile to hype about in there.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

If they are going to hype up that much they should have something worthwhile to hype about in there.

Countdown was much hype? Or was it the four pics released?

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Don't think it matters what Bethesda does, as it's near impossible to please the hardcore Fallout community. Oh well, the teaser was decent enough. I think it did a good job of capturing the atmosphere of Fallout and Fallout 2's opening movies. Am looking forward to seeing some in-game footage, and hearing more about the gameplay (the really important stuff) in the coming months.

Edit: Had a link to a post on Bethesda's Fallout forums about someone wanting a WoW-style MMORPG that I was going to copy here, but the site seems to be down at the moment.

Edited by mr insomniac

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

As far as opening movies go, I actually think it was better than FO2s. That whole revealing the big enemy of the game in the intro kinda ruined it for me. Although I can (somewhat) agree with the criticism that this one borrowed maybe too much from the original one, I don't see that as a problem really. It serves FO3 well to establish the new setting through familiar means.

^ Yeah, but did you know that was the big enemy of FO2 the first time you saw the opening?

Obviously this teaser likely isn't the opening movie for Fallout 3, but I just meant that when I saw the opening movies for Fallout and Fallout 2 for the first time, they created the atmosphere of the game well. This teaser also does that, as far as I'm concerned, mainly by, as you say, using familiar elements.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

No, I didn't know that. But I knew badasses in Power Armor existed before starting the game, which did spoil the surprise a little.

I'm thinking this will be the opening movie of FO3. With more Ron Perlman text to follow of course (that jump starts the plot to a degree).

^ Yeah, but did you know that was the big enemy of FO2 the first time you saw the opening?

Well, they did shoot vault people with their big miniguns.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

This does not change the fact that it was a teaser and was advertised as such. Some teasers are little more than a moving movie poster.