Real Breaking News: Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer

Sand

from games radar

"Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer is currently scheduled to release on December 10. "

tack on another few months? can't recall the last expansion that got this kinda development time... but we didn't pay attention to that oblivion expansion, so maybe over a year is now nomal? hope it pays off with a better product.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

from games radar

"Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer is currently scheduled to release on December 10. "

tack on another few months? can't recall the last expansion that got this kinda development time... but we didn't pay attention to that oblivion expansion, so maybe over a year is now nomal? hope it pays off with a better product.

HA! Good Fun!

Maybe they're trying to do a 'Blizzard', or so to speak :)

On the Planescape references, yes Chris Avellone has written the story and characters for MotB. But the media were pulling the same shtick about KotOR 2.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I hope that the mentioning of Torment in the press release will mean that we get a good as story and as great a dialogue as was in Planescape: Torment. The elements in MotB seems fascinating and remarkable as the expansion seems to target a specific audience....

As for the expansion period being prolonged, this is a very good thing :lol: It means that they will have enough time to make the game as bugfree as possible...

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.

Please support, Andrew Bub, the gamerdad - at http://gamingwithchildren.com/

On the Planescape references, yes Chris Avellone has written the story and characters for MotB. But the media were pulling the same shtick about KotOR 2.

"Kevin Saunders: We (creative lead designer George Ziets, that is) crafted a story that

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

"Kevin Saunders: We (creative lead designer George Ziets, that is) crafted a story that

Psh, we all know the delay is due to Cant's crazy bug finding skills.

Wait, Cant has been working on our game too? Are you someone here in disguise? You're Avellone's double while he's at conventions, huh?

Let me get back to sleeping. I'm tired...

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Wait, Cant has been working on our game too? Are you someone here in disguise? You're Avellone's double while he's at conventions, huh?

he is eldar... which probably doesn't help any. there was also some speculation, mostly started by me, that he may be sand/visceris/hades/<insert nom du jour here> in disguise, but that probably doesn't help either. :lol:

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Yeah, Ziets is main writer. However, Avellone has done at least some dialogue writing for MotB - how much I do not know.

For proof check his blog o' romance or whatever it's called (in other words his newest update in blogs)

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Looks like my MCA stalking skill deliver once again.

http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=47595

Chris Avellone: I'm Chris Avellone, Creative Director at Obsidian Entertainment. "Creative Director" is basically a shape-shifting designer, which allows me to change my design title at will depending on what game or project I'm contributing to at the moment. On the last project, I was senior designer on NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer, and now I'm the Creative Lead Designer on the forthcoming Aliens RPG from SEGA.

http://www.gameshark.com/features/339/p_10...r-Interview.htm

Without a doubt, Mask of the Betrayer has the strongest storyline and characters yet in a Neverwinter Nights game. That's not to say previous NWN stories and characters haven't been great, just that I feel we've really outdone ourselves this time. (And it's not my story or characters - the credit goes to our creative lead, George Ziets, our module designers Jeff Husges, Eric Fenstermaker, and Tony Evans, and our companion writers Matt MacLean and Chris Avellone.)

http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=154

I just finished designing a few of the companions for Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer expansion (Kaelyn the Dove and Gannayev-of-Dreams
Edited by Llyranor

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Without a doubt, Mask of the Betrayer has the strongest storyline and characters yet in a Neverwinter Nights game. That's not to say previous NWN stories and characters haven't been great, just that I feel we've really outdone ourselves this time. (And it's not my story or characters - the credit goes to our creative lead, George Ziets, our module designers Jeff Husges, Eric Fenstermaker, and Tony Evans, and our companion writers Matt MacLean and Chris Avellone.)

No thats ok you can say some of the NWN story lines haven't been great. Because some of them were not.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

i never minded the story lines as much as the way you progressed through them with NWN... think fed-ex. HotU was actually fairly well done in both regards (issues, of course, but not like the OC).

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Nice interview and it sounds great. But doggone it let's get some details on the content we are getting here! New interior tiles? New monsters? New textures? C'mon guys!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Well, story wise I would have to say NWN2 is the best out of the bunch, with HotU being second, SoU being third and the story in NWN1 being dead last.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

The story for MotB far outshines the story for NWN2, with all respect the creative design team for NWN2.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Well, story wise I would have to say NWN2 is the best out of the bunch, with HotU being second, SoU being third and the story in NWN1 being dead last.

That sounds about right.

That interview was a good read also.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

You are right on the money there. I always thought of the NWN OC as a half-a**ed showcase for game content. As story goes, they clearly threw it together at the last minute. NWN2 looked more like they had a story in mind and built a game around it.

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

No, they threw in the oc to appease IE-fanfolk. Seriously, I read a quote recently that had some top guy on Bioware explaining that they had an incredible backlash from their old demographic for not including a single player campaign "worthy of their previous games", so Bioware, in their infinite wisdom, had some of the team spend a couple of months cobbling the oc together. Voila, we have the crappiest crpg story ever.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

The story for MotB far outshines the story for NWN2, with all respect the creative design team for NWN2.

I shall reserve judgment till I actually play it. I have no doubt that it will be good but it is still just an expansion.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I shall reserve judgment till I actually play it. I have no doubt that it will be good but it is still just an expansion.

The idea is, Cant has actually played the through the story, if you are not up to date with forum happenings, he was in QA for MotB. So give him some slack.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds