What are you playing now?

Darque

MLB 2K7 (xbox 360) - Pretty decent game. Too many homeruns is the most glaring flaw. Not as good as MVP Baseball 2005 though.

NBA 2K7 (xbox 360) - Could be an okayish game. Computer makes too many free throws, and is too easy to foul. Player fouls hoots are simply a crap shoot.

MVP Baseball 2005 (PS2) - Best sports game ever. Top 3 game ever.

Fable: the Lost Chapter (PC) - Off kilter start; could have potential.

Call of Duty 3 (xbox 360) - Just finished it, and about to try online. Pretty fun game despite being a FPS.

Gears of War (xbox 360) - Overrated.

NWN1/NWN2 (PC) - Still trying to complete my NWN1 module. Hoping something will come out of NWN2...

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Beat MGS3 again, then graduated to Subsistence, and I'm beating that slowly. Certainly my favorite Metal Gear Solid so far, and I think they'll have a hard time topping it with 4 (although I am curious as to what kind of supernatural superteam of superbaddies they'll cook up)

I'm itching to play NWN2 again, but it's hard for me to get too far through the beginning. I'm in a bad way with games these days. BG and BG2 have almost gone the way of the Fallouts, that is, games I love but can't squeeze enjoyment out of playing anymore. That's pretty distressing for me.

*edit - So, uh, anybody know of good mods for NWN2?

Edited by Pop

God of War 2; Primary

Dawn of War: Dark Crusade (as Necrons); Secondary

NeverWinter Nights 2; Tertiary

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

BG1 + 2 + ToB, no reloads. Working my way slowly through BG1 at the moment.

NWN2, now with multiselection! It feels a bit clunky, which i'm sure will get fixed in the actual patch.

Also EU3, FM07 and a bunch of free arcade games. I need to replay Cave Story soon.

I just have to add a few more facts for my Jade Empire combat (I'm surprised that even two people seem to have problems with it): I used swords on everything organic, because they are fast, powerful and has a good reach. I never used magic for anything but healing. If there were ghostly creatures around, I'd switch to my hands (because swords don't hurt them). When I got the Jade Golem, I only used it on the last boss encounter (except for toying around with).

Basically I only put my points in speed and damage on the two or three skills I used (I kind of remember switching hands style after a while.. don't know why). I never used Chi attacks (and subsequently never put points in raising that part of the skill), because that's just a waste of healing power. Find a style that looks cool (they're all the same anyhow) and spend all your points on speed and damage.

Because I concentrated on so few skills, I got a lot of extra points to spend. Whenever I got something new I wanted to try out, I could immediately max out that skill. If it didn't do anything for me, I just reload and try another one.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

My second playthrough of Dark Crusade is almost done. Chaos is suprisingly satisfying. Especially Khorneans.

My pal is playing through FF12 and I help her out. Fun game, alhtough the grinding is a bit tedious.

Also, I occasionally play the original Halo and GoW on co-op, plus some DOA 4(Zack ftw).

I should probalby buy NWN 2 soon, otherwise I'll just be left from the train again.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

*edit - So, uh, anybody know of good mods for NWN2?

Pool of Radiance-Remastered Chapter 1: http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NWN2M...etail&id=63

Tragedy in Tragidor: http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NWN2M...etail&id=83

Those are the only two I messed with and they aren't too bad. The only downside to them is that they do the who cinematic view when it comes to conversations even though the conversations have no voice to them. I much prefer the standard method, unless the module has full voice.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Find a style that looks cool (they're all the same anyhow) and spend all your points on speed and damage.

Eh, no.

JE's combat has its flaws but overall its quite awesome. All I need is more variety. And Jade Golem is ridiculously overpowered. Well, I don't whine because it saved me in Imperial Engagement. :p

I really want to know what would be better way make combat for this. Turn based? There isn't more ridiculous thought than turn based Kung Fu. :thumbsup: Kotor styled real/turn based hybrid based on stats? Meh, this is kung fu game and action RPG. I want to throw punches and kicks by myself in this kind of games.

There really isn't another option. And it must not become too hard/complex, because this is RPG, not e.g. Ninja Gaiden. Attack-Power Attack-Block is simple but it works like clockwork. I think this needs more variety (e.g maybe two kind of blocks and normal attacks?) but not very much. Besides, combat is very fun and it's all that matters.

I've never been player who gets kicks from ultra hard battles and solving them, all I want is that combat is fun and challenging enough.

Apart from JE I'm eagerly awaiting C&C3 ;)

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Actually it is pretty repetitive. You do the same key punching for every style. Now if there was a bit of variation such as using the anolog stick in a rotation while hitting the attack button which allows you to do a roundhouse kick, or something like that, would increase the interactivity of the game. As for the RPG side of things, it is very very very rules light and they could have easily made it completely hidden in the backgroun, making it a story driven action game, and along with the increase in combat control and interactivity made a better game.

Would it still be a CRPG? No, but I think the game overall would have been better for it.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Actually it is pretty repetitive. You do the same key punching for every style. Now if there was a bit of variation such as using the anolog stick in a rotation while hitting the attack button which allows you to do a roundhouse kick, or something like that, would increase the interactivity of the game. As for the RPG side of things, it is very very very rules light and they could have easily made it completely hidden in the backgroun, making it a story driven action game, and along with the increase in combat control and interactivity made a better game.

Would it still be a CRPG? No, but I think the game overall would have been better for it.

Eek, don't strip JE's small amount of RPGness it still has! Main reason why it's so simple is because there is too few variables. Body, mind and spirit sounds and feels wuxia enough, but it still should've been more complex. 3 variables is way too few. Even one more would've helped, preferably more.

And I don't mind the fact its very light in rules. However JE's is still above my border for acceptable "ligthness".

I like your idea. They are not too hard to implement and not too complex for action crpg. I hope JE2 will have something like that. Few add-ons like that would really enhance action. Overall (yeah yeah, I'm repeating myself) I think that action is good, even with its clear flaws.

I disagree that game would've been any better without RPG elements.

Romances are silly. I greatly prefer K2 style over ego stroking, silly Bioware way does them. :sad:

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

Find a style that looks cool (they're all the same anyhow) and spend all your points on speed and damage.

Eh, no.

Actually, yes. Mkreku hit it on the nail: obvious exceptions aside - such as Spirit Thief and Jade Golem - I haven't found much that separates most styles. Martial styles are pretty much all the same among themselves, and so are weapon, support and transformation styles. Also, dumping points into speed and damage makes increasing their duration unnecessary since they're quickly effective. Even if Chi is depleted, you can't bump into a corner without finding some Spirit font.

I really want to know what would be better way make combat for this. Turn based?

Funny you should bring that up, considering 'reku is known for not suggesting that combat model. Unless you're the usual IGN forumite that gorges on repeating the kiddie mantra that turn-based is outdated and goes on to every forum repeating it to score with his CS clannie trash friends, there wasn't any point in even bringing it up.

There isn't more ridiculous thought than turn based Kung Fu. :thumbsup:

I don't know, lightsabers that work like yon standard D&D swords rank pretty high in teh stoopid too.

There really isn't another option. And it must not become too hard/complex, because this is RPG, not e.g. Ninja Gaiden.

And who's to say RPGs can't have a deep role-playing system coupled with a deep combat system as featured in Ninja Gaiden Black, Devil May Cry 3 or God of War? "Because it's an RPG" doesn't mean anything other than it needs to have recognizable role-playing elements indigineous to the genre, and action combat has seeped into the genre for a long time for console platforms at least, where action combat models like that of Jade Empire don't rank to well in the face of the examples I gave. Aside the D20 rules, nothing really prevented Knights of the Old Republic from having Jedi Outcast or Jedi Academy-styled combat, which would certainly be more fitting to the setting and gameplay of titles who use the license.

I think my god of war 2 finished my PS2 off...

Insane load times, every so often it'll freeze and I hear the disk spinning like a 2 year old off the tilt-a-wheel, every so often the sound will cut in and out...

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Eh, no.

Actually, yes. Mkreku hit it on the nail: obvious exceptions aside - such as Spirit Thief and Jade Golem - I haven't found much that separates most styles. Martial styles are pretty much all the same among themselves, and so are weapon, support and transformation styles. Also, dumping points into speed and damage makes increasing their duration unnecessary since they're quickly effective. Even if Chi is depleted, you can't bump into a corner without finding some Spirit font.

I really want to know what would be better way make combat for this. Turn based?

Funny you should bring that up, considering 'reku is known for not suggesting that combat model. Unless you're the usual IGN forumite that gorges on repeating the kiddie mantra that turn-based is outdated and goes on to every forum repeating it to score with his CS clannie trash friends, there wasn't any point in even bringing it up.

There isn't more ridiculous thought than turn based Kung Fu. :lol:

I don't know, lightsabers that work like yon standard D&D swords rank pretty high in teh stoopid too.

There really isn't another option. And it must not become too hard/complex, because this is RPG, not e.g. Ninja Gaiden.

And who's to say RPGs can't have a deep role-playing system coupled with a deep combat system as featured in Ninja Gaiden Black, Devil May Cry 3 or God of War? "Because it's an RPG" doesn't mean anything other than it needs to have recognizable role-playing elements indigineous to the genre, and action combat has seeped into the genre for a long time for console platforms at least, where action combat models like that of Jade Empire don't rank to well in the face of the examples I gave. Aside the D20 rules, nothing really prevented Knights of the Old Republic from having Jedi Outcast or Jedi Academy-styled combat, which would certainly be more fitting to the setting and gameplay of titles who use the license.

Wow, that was fierce post.

None of the styles are same. They deal different amount and type of damage with differing speeds. Jade Golem should've been cut, it made end game way too easy. It crushes everything.

Bringing Death's Hand down with few silly strikes? C'mon! That's anticlimatic as it can get!

I've never even visited IGN's forum.

And of course I know mkekru didn't bring turn based combat up. Really, from style of your post it looks like you thought I did some kind of personal attack, geez. >_<

I only brought turn based combat up as an example. There's nothing more in it.

Which is really D20's fault, not Kotor's. Besides, it just proves that Kotor is RPG, not action game. Heck, you can't even jump or slice doors open with your lightsaber. Actually you can't do that in Jedi Knights either...

And turn based kungfu is much worse than any "silliness" due engine/game design limitations. Kotor's combat works. Turn based combat wouldn't.

Aside the D20 rules, nothing really prevented Knights of the Old Republic from having Jedi Outcast or Jedi Academy-styled combat, which would certainly be more fitting to the setting and gameplay of titles who use the license.

There's no worse idea than dropping Kotor's battle system behind and replace it with JA's one! Dear God, that would suck. Kotors and ROTS games have best lightsaber combat in games. "Yon standard" lightsabers are ten times better than ridiculous jump jump jump combat of Jedi Knight series.

And who's to say RPGs can't have a deep role-playing system coupled with a deep combat system as featured in Ninja Gaiden Black, Devil May Cry 3 or God of War? "Because it's an RPG" doesn't mean anything other than it needs to have recognizable role-playing elements indigineous to the genre, and action combat has seeped into the genre for a long time for console platforms at least, where action combat models like that of Jade Empire don't rank to well in the face of the examples I gave.

JE's combat system is very, very far away from best crpg ones I've played, but it's still (IMO) good. It really catches spirit of wuxia. And is there other games with melee combat like JE except from remotely similar Bloodlines melee combat? JE's combat system is hundred times better than Bloodlines melee combat. There isn't any other crpg's to compare against.

And really, I'm not saying JE's combat doesn't need improvements. It should be more complex, but can you really compare JE to Ninja Gaiden, GoW or Devil May Cry? They're from different genres. JE still is crpg, not action game with roleplaying elements. Some might like it more that way, I would not.

Improving JE's combat wouldn't be hard. We already have harmonic combos, it would not be too hard to create some kind of "combo system". Sand's "analog stick rotation" is another easy thing to implement that would enhance combat. Few ways to do normal attack and different ways to block them? These aren't hard or too complex to be implemented by devs for sequel.

It doesn't need to get into level of Ninja Gaiden and other that kind of action games, just little improvements.

And combat system got only minority of my notice when playing (minus for Jade Golem which should've got axe or serious dumping down. It ruined some mood in the end game :sad: ). Combat, talking, wandering... It all was just something I had to do to see how plot unfolds and what wonders this strange setting has to offer. Above all we need more this kind of original milieus for crpg's.

And for those who say combat is too easy: Just test Jade Master difficulty. :ermm:

Edited by Xard

JE is awesome. Anyone who disagrees is simply wrong.

JE is the apex of what an Action RPG should be. Great combat, and great role-playing.

'Nough said.

P.S. Sure, it could be improved. All games can. Espicially that overrated KOTOR series. Even the FO series, and BG series needs improvement.

LONG LIVE JE!

DOWN WITH KOTOR!

The problem isn't that Jade Empire's styles aren't different, it's that the differences are for the most part fairly inconsequential. On the same vein, I wouldn't disagree that wielding a longsword would be, erm, different than using a battleaxe in a DnD CRPG, but it's mostly from a statistical/aesthetic viewpoint. I certainly wouldn't replay a game just to switch around the weapons, or the styles.

JE's combat was fun enough, and probably benefitted from the game being relatively short. I question how long it'd have been able to sustain a longer game because some players would grow tired of it.

It was a decent Bioware game. But doing justice to Wuxia? HA HA HA HA HA HA

And RP, the argument that a RPG can have good roleplaying elements and character development while having the fast action-paced combat of a system like NG/DMC/GoW is one I fully endorse, but fairly bold. The problem with that is that I wouldn't be surprised if many CRPGers couldn't be able to handle anything remotely complex control-wise. Then they pull the intellectual superiority card. Because most RPG's combat systems are so tactically demanding.

Edited by Llyranor

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

I'm getting annoyed in God of War II. Ever since I got the Barbarian Hammer, the game likes to randomly switch to it in mid-combat. In fact, I think the game likes to take my square button press and randomly substitute it for another key. He'll grab enemies, he'll jump, he'll switch to his hammer. Maybe my controller is broken.

It was a decent Bioware game. But doing justice to Wuxia? HA HA HA HA HA HA

>_<

And RP, the argument that a RPG can have good roleplaying elements and character development while having the fast action-paced combat of a system like NG/DMC/GoW is one I fully endorse, but fairly bold.

Well, I got some spanking new form-fitting pants today so I'm feeling quite bold, if you know what I mean and I bet you do! WOOF WOOF!

The problem with that is that I wouldn't be surprised if many CRPGers couldn't be able to handle anything remotely complex control-wise. Then they pull the intellectual superiority card. Because most RPG's combat systems are so tactically demanding.

Granted, but you can implement the action without, for instance, including such a complex combo system or incredibly high difficulty. It comes down to transposing the plethora of options you usually get in more traditional role-playing games and placing them into a realtime framework, and letting the player adapt to them. As I've said in the past this isn't my ideal design for a CRPG but as long the character isn't exclusively defined by player reflexes then I'm game - and Jade Empire would benefit from a more complex system that still retained its character development system while adding other layers of interactivity in combat. You could pick up on something like God of War's combat model and construct a kickass CRPG around it. Currently, and aside Bioshock, that's my dream game.

Oh and if it wasn't clear, uh, I'm playing Jade Empire: Special Edition. Actually, already finished it and clocked at little over 20 hours. Now replaying for the Closed Fist path.

JE is the apex of what an Action RPG should be. Great combat, and great role-playing.

'Nough said.

Nah that would be Diablo. But thanks for playing.

DOWN WITH KOTOR!

*Fap, fap, fap?*

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

'Nough said.

Nah that would be Diablo. But thanks for playing.

Dark Messiah, imo.

"Nah that would be Diablo. But thanks for playing."

Diablo isn't an AQction RPG. It's an Action game. Games like JE, BL, ES games, and G3 are Action RPG.

P.S. I like Diablo just fine for what it is; but let's not be fooled into thinking it's soemthing it's not.