The Worst Game Endings

Pop

Just curious Wistrik, what is it like having a photographic memory?

I've always been pretty curious about that. Do you have to study for tests at all? Is it more like a blessing or a curse?

I mean do you remember ever good thing that happened to you in picture perfect detail and do you continuously live through those horribly bad moments as well?

Heh, this could go on for hours, but I'm not going to type a novel.

Studying for tests was easy, because I didn't have to. All the previous week's material came rushing back so that my test answers often looked like I'd copied from the source material, though I had none with me save what was in my memory.

After I've played a game the first time, I may not know everything there is to do or find in the game, but all the non-random portions I did encounter will never be forgotten.

I can remember things that happened when I was two years old, despite that being 37 years ago, and I can describe much in detail, as if I was reliving it. Of course, this is easier with things I got to spend more time with. The rush of the workplace tends to be forgotten as so much blends together from day to day, but things I do at home, in a more relaxed environment, tend to stay with me for a long time. I play games at home, so this is why I remember them so well.

Anyway, I'm getting older so my memory is less stellar than it used to be, but I can still surprise my friends on occasion, and static-content/plot games continue to be less interesting the second time around. I still ace tests on a regular basis too.

It's been a blessing and a curse, because I can remember the nightmares and bad experiences as easily as the dreams and good experiences. I have no control over it outside of what I choose to feed into my mind.

• 10 months later...

You might have just won Teh Internets for today.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I knew cinematics were bad a few years ago, but this is amazing.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

This thread reminds me of how unusual it is for me to actually finish a game. I don't think that I've gotten to the end of a story-based video game (i.e., Civ 4 & TW games don't count) since IWD2. My gaming time has been in serious decline over the past few years, so I tend to abandon games at the point where playing on would be less fun than starting a new Civ campaign.

Edit: Just remembered-- I have finished games of Link to the Past and Super Mario World on my GBA.

Edited by Enoch

Mythologies: Sub-Zero was hard. Cheap and hard. Mostly cheap. The only difficulty Mortal Kombat knew until at least 4 came out. Stopped playing them then.

I actually liked the cinematics back then. They were good for the time. Compared to some of Final Fantasy VII's and other games such as Starcraft, those were terrific.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Well the question to ask is this:

1. Have you not finished games because they did not interest you?

2. Or because you have better things to do? (Including playing other games)

3. The game sucked

4. None of the above

Personally I have found that the more free time I have had, the more game I have finished.

This year alone I finished (Lots of free time this year)

COD

KotOR

IWD2 - 2nd time

NWN2 - 2nd time

NWN2 numerous fan made modules and MOTB

FO

PS:T

BG - 4th time

TOEE

*and many many games of Madden, NHL 2K5, MVP 2005, Collage Hoops 2K5, MVP 2006, NFL 2K5,

I only stoppped finsihing games when I began earning enough money to buy more than three games a year.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

If I don't finish a game, that shows something's seriously wrong with the game. After all, it's the story that's often the main hook for me, so of course I want to see it through to the end. That said, for many games, the end is the weakest part - perhaps some marketing executive somewhere has found out about all the gamers who never reach the end, and so tells developers not to 'waste' money on good endings?

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Why the crap has nobody mentioned Homeworld yet?

An RTS with a story that actually makes you care? An awsome last level followed by a satisfying and artful ending helped by actually good VAing?

Blah blah blah, anyone who cares already knows, i'm just a nostalgic fanboy.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Mortal Kombat Armegeddon ending was pathetic. All that work and the ending is you on the same arena that you defeated the boss, as you punch and kick in the wind for practice. And a few lines of drivel...

And the Fatalities are all the same for every character, theres no specializes fatalities! Mortal Kombat without its fatalities is like Kool Aide without sugar!

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

The Longest Journey. Throughout the game I was absolutely loving everything about the story and characters, then the ending comes and I'm like "**** YOU!"

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines

Quake 1 (though the two expansions improved endings quite a bit. 'You beat shub-niggurath, id salutes you!' is not an ending.)

Half Life 2 (One of the worst. All that way for a repeat of HL1's ending, except even worse)

Deus Ex 1 & 2 (Loved these games, but all that play time, excellent story telling for 30 second endings was weak)

KoTOR 2 (Ending wouldn't have been so bad if they had tied up the zillion loose strings everywhere.)

I thought Bloodline's ending was great.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Star Wars: Republic Commando

Forgot about that one.

They should have killed off 40 instead, Sev is too awesome.

But hey, it leaves the game open for sequels (playing Sev after being captured and escaping or something like that)... but then he'd have to still be alive.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines

Quake 1 (though the two expansions improved endings quite a bit. 'You beat shub-niggurath, id salutes you!' is not an ending.)

Half Life 2 (One of the worst. All that way for a repeat of HL1's ending, except even worse)

Deus Ex 1 & 2 (Loved these games, but all that play time, excellent story telling for 30 second endings was weak)

KoTOR 2 (Ending wouldn't have been so bad if they had tied up the zillion loose strings everywhere.)

Ehh perhaps, but the filling in those all of those games was great! I didn't find myself playing the games just to see the ending, the whole way through all of those games I was entertained. With exception to Deus X 2, never played it.

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

Forgot about that one.

But hey, it leaves the game open for sequels (playing Sev after being captured and escaping or something like that)... but then he'd have to still be alive.

I assumed it was a lead in to the Republic Commando novels.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Forgot about that one.

I assumed it was a lead in to the Republic Commando novels.

I don't know, maybe. I don't read books based on video games.

I guess the ending I was most disappointed in was Icewind Dale II. I loved the setup to the Isair and Madae battle and the fact that your different choices would effect the outcome (it was basically do all the goodie goodie stuff for an easier fight though, and while I almost always play good, I could see why evil players wouldn't like it), but the actual meeting seemed pretty forced and abrupt. Not to mention there was no satisfaction from seeing that Orrick the Grey in the end. :(

I really would have liked the ability to kill Orrick in the game. Hopefully there's a mod for that...

Other than that I liked or was satisfied the endings for my other games that actually have an "ending".

Why the crap has nobody mentioned Homeworld yet?

An RTS with a story that actually makes you care? An awsome last level followed by a satisfying and artful ending helped by actually good VAing?

Blah blah blah, anyone who cares already knows, i'm just a nostalgic fanboy.

Never mind the damn ending. I got torn up by the third mission. That background music as the camer pans around and ... (serious spoiler)

the platform is gone and your world is on fire!

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.