Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

So how buggy is NWN2?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
230 replies to this topic

roshan

roshan

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2425 posts
Well the part about characters being forced on you is not completely true. You can choose who you want to some extent but there are always characters being forced into your party whether you like it or not. Often you have to boot out characters you want to make space for those required. You also cannot play through the game solo. Youre always stuck with someone or the other almost continously.

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 9060 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Well the part about characters being forced on you is not completely true. You can choose who you want to some extent but there are always characters being forced into your party whether you like it or not. Often you have to boot out characters you want to make space for those required. You also cannot play through the game solo. Youre always stuck with someone or the other almost continously.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can you have them die and play solo that way, by just dragging their unrevived "corpse" around? Or does the game do something to prevent that?

Deraldin

Deraldin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4033 posts

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can you have them die and play solo that way, by just dragging their unrevived "corpse" around? Or does the game do something to prevent that?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dead characters will auto-rez outside of combat. :thumbsup:

kumquatq3

kumquatq3

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3477 posts
I got a bug for you, some how the Silver sword of gilth (or whatever) copied itself

I'm dual wielding them now :thumbsup:

Deraldin

Deraldin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4033 posts

I got a bug for you, some how the Silver sword of gilth (or whatever) copied itself

I'm dual wielding them now :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had a ring of insight do that to me. One of them I couldn't unequip though. Eventually fixed itself. :thumbsup:

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 9060 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Dead characters will auto-rez outside of combat. :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:) indeed. That sounds...convienent. :-"
Thanks for the answer.

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 9073 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

This statement certainly isn't true if you were only counting bioware forum feedback. There is one thread of satisified players, and 3 threads of dissatisfied players nearly foaming at the mouth about game stopping bugs and that always ambiguously phrased lack of "wow factor".

I have a decent system and still find this game unplayable ,even with the 1.01 patch.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why would you trust forum feedback? First of all, a small percentage of game purchasers actually spend time on forums. Secondly, people are WAY more likely to go to a forum to complain than they are to cheer it on. In fact, that's typically why people visit forums...they can't get the game running so they go for help or just to vent.

Now this is a forum that I've spent a few years on, and I've heard plenty of good feedback from the people I consider regulars, so I take that as way more important than folks who jump on a forum just to complain.

Pop

Pop

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4039 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Aqua Regis
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
I've suffered from some fairly common bugs, like the cutscene bug and "sit-on-your-hands" party AI, but my game is running pretty good at mid resolution and high settings ( - shadows) not amazingly well, but even if I knock down the textures and AA the game still runs choppy. Better to have it good-looking and functional than shoddy-looking and... functional.

It's very odd how rigs that by all reason should slay this game are turning out bad performances, while a fairly econ rig like mine is doing pretty well. Hopefully this will all be straightened out in time.

Oerwinde

Oerwinde

Treacherous Decepticon

• Members
  • 2912 posts
  • Location:Cybertron, hidden in an extradimensional space in Canada.
  • Xbox Gamertag:Oerwinde (also Playstation Network ID)
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Most of the time the characters are required for story purposes. Such as one character knows a back way in to a stronghold and will lead you there. Without him, you have no idea where to go. They aren't just randomly forced on you, its mostly just situations where if you wanted to go alone, then you wouldn't get very far.

Jorian Drake

Jorian Drake

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2593 posts

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Most of the time the characters are required for story purposes. Such as one character knows a back way in to a stronghold and will lead you there. Without him, you have no idea where to go. They aren't just randomly forced on you, its mostly just situations where if you wanted to go alone, then you wouldn't get very far.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So they are NOT randomly forced on you? They are forced on you PLANNED? :dancing:

I like the NPC-s in the game, really, but I do understand why some people would like to go solo, or leave behind certain dwa....people. Or even to kill them. Or not even to let them join at the start. It's like a holiday what was forced on you (wake up at 4 go via taxi to the plane, and go to tibet) maybe you will have fun there, but its still forced on you and that's sure annoying/angering.

Let's say I am an elven bard, CE or CN. Now why the hell should I let the insulting dwarf go with me?
Can I kill him behind the corner? Nooo! Can I Throw him into a well? Nooo! Can he atleast sing correctly? What!? A dwarf? And what about burning his beard? Nada.

And what If I create a Monk dwarf? Well, I didn't find any extra dialogue regarding this with him yet. <_<

I guess I will play a CE next time and just kill anyone becouse of frustration. >_< ...oh, I can't do that? What? Immortal peasants? Dammit! :'(

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 17067 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
"Most of the time the characters are required for story purposes. Such as one character knows a back way in to a stronghold and will lead you there. Without him, you have no idea where to go. They aren't just randomly forced on you, its mostly just situations where if you wanted to go alone, then you wouldn't get very far."

No, they are forced on you. You telling me you need Neeshak when you metter her? Khelgar? Brognar? And, on and on. It's lame. Plain, and simple.

Oerwinde

Oerwinde

Treacherous Decepticon

• Members
  • 2912 posts
  • Location:Cybertron, hidden in an extradimensional space in Canada.
  • Xbox Gamertag:Oerwinde (also Playstation Network ID)
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

"Most of the time the characters are required for story purposes. Such as one character knows a back way in to a stronghold and will lead you there. Without him, you have no idea where to go. They aren't just randomly forced on you, its mostly just situations where if you wanted to go alone, then you wouldn't get very far."

No, they are forced on you. You telling me you need Neeshak when you metter her? Khelgar? Brognar? And, on and on. It's lame. Plain, and simple.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess my JPRG background makes me not care. I'm used to it.

kumquatq3

kumquatq3

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3477 posts
When they arn't forcing companions on you, they are taking them away, aka you can't pick them.

Maria Caliban

Maria Caliban

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3945 posts
I haven't finished the game but I've only encountered a few bugs: fire beetles, stag beetles, and bombers. Depending on your definition of bug, there's also a massive one in my basement.

Invoker

Invoker

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 200 posts
I can't for the life of me get past the first act. I've rounded up all the milita and when I speak to them, they tell me to go speak to Georg. I do that. Only thing is, Georg doesn't want to speak to me. I can't advance at all so I'm stuck.

Fun, innit?

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 17067 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
"guess my JPRG background makes me not care. I'm used to it."

Eh? I like JRPGs just fine. In fact, I love them. But, JRPGS have never bragged about being about the type of role-playing D&D games - or 'Western RPGs' are supposed to be like. Forcing companions on players is NEVER cool when it's supposed to be about player choice.

Oh btw, The bugs keep on coming! Now, I got a major one when dealing with the Lizardfolk Chief in ch3. After beating it; it says "Do as you wish" and my only option is to press continue. After that, it no longer talks, and I am absolutely TRAPPED in a small area. R00fles! Reloading doens't help! HAHAHAHAHAHA!

And, here I thought NWN2 was a a relativley unbuggy game. Oops... That's two major bugs found in the last 24 hours including one game ender. I'
ll have to avoid that entire area now which means I'll likely lose potential allies. YAHOO!!!!!

:joy: :joy: :joy:

Tigranes

Tigranes

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 10491 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
He meant that thanks to being forced this kind of stuff so often in JRPG, he doesnt mind too much anymore. Surely Volo, you are smarter than that.

But yes, the only 2 major gripes I have with NWN2 are that companions are forced (one for freaking 1/3 of the game?! you have to admit its a poor design choice even if you love the said char, Volo), and you cant attack neutrals / friendlies. You can't make any choice that the devs did not account for. Furthermore, even the quests seem to be odd; for example, in a particular quest
Spoiler
, instead of doing the quest-giver's bidding I simply pickpocketed the item I wanted from her. The journal, and thus the quest-scripts never recognised this, and when it came to the trial, the scripts didnt realise that I had this item! NWN2 is much mor erestrictive than IE games when it comes to this, and this was not necessary at all. In most cases it would require very little extra scripting.

Pop

Pop

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4039 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Aqua Regis
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
I'm sure with a few months of work modders should be able to create more playable NPCs to add to the campaign so that you can not get pidgeonholed into having Khelgar or Neeshka for 9 hours of gameplay. Given some dedicated modders, NWN2 could be expanded to at least BG's CNPC pool, where there are always 2 characters that can perform the same function. I think Dark Raven could do that well.

Now to just sit back and wonder if it'll happen :(

Edited by Pop, 14 November 2006 - 02:46 AM.

Maria Caliban

Maria Caliban

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3945 posts
Tigranes:
"The journal, and thus the quest-scripts never recognised this, and when it came to the trial, the scripts didnt realise that I had this item!"

There's no journal entry for "I now have powder X" There's only a journal entry for the quest she gives you, which you admitted you didn't complete.

How do you know that the "scripts didn't realize" you had that item. Did you talk to Sand?

Spider

Spider

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2172 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I never got a journal entry for her quest. Probably because I convinced her to give me the thing needed straight up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users