So how buggy is NWN2?

Atreides

"I didn't think she would be a 'serious problem' to even a Paladin, more of an Imoen-ish problem, just with a bit less inherent sugary goodness."

She brags about being a theif, and other things a paladin should (and would not) approve.

She's obviously an unscrupulius person.

More importantly, she's simply a horribly written character.Want a wellw rittenc haarcter? That's Sand. Or even Bishop who is a nasty SOB. Or even the gnome. The gnome may be annoying; but it fits the character therefore he is wellw ritten. They tried to get cute with Neeshka and her antics; but failed.

She joins the crap List with deekin and Minsc. Disgusting!!!

"Hell, half the time you're completely illogical to me, and I don't dispute your realism as a human being."

Point. Not. Found. This thread is about NWN2. Not Volourn.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

She brags about being a theif, and other things a paladin should (and would not) approve.

Imoen brags about being a thief.

More importantly, she's simply a horribly written character.

OPINION OPINION GOGOGOGO

I did like Sand and Bishop.

"Hell, half the time you're completely illogical to me, and I don't dispute your realism as a human being."

Point. Not. Found. This thread is about NWN2. Not Volourn.

I learnt about metaphors when I was twelve, Volourn. Didn't you?

edit; because I know you'll argue that its not a valid metaphor or whatever, sure, here; the point was that you mainly say Neeshka is poorly written because she doesnt make sense to you and to you she has no real consistency. Firstly, I showed you before that such a call was founded on poor evidence, since you yourself enver even looked at the dialogue; Secondly, my metaphor wasi ntended to you show you that people need not be absolutely consistent, and people's beliefs need not make sense to *you* for it to be a well written character. On the contrary, if I find beliefs in NPCs I find hard to accept then I take it as I would if I couldnt understand a real person's beliefs; either respect them, or try to persuade them temporarily, or ignore / force my way through, depending on what is necessary.

Edited by Tigranes

"OPINION OPINION GOGOGOGO"

O RLY? That news to me. Or is it? :crazy: :) :crazy:

"Imoen brags about being a thief."

And? How does this change a thing? A paladin shouldn't approve of Imoen being a thief either. What w asted reply you did here as you accomplished nothing. LOL

"learnt about metaphors when I was twelve, Volourn. Didn't you?"

This thread is about NWN2. Not Volourn.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Okay, I can't be screwed explaining every obvious logical connection to someone selectively devoid with logic, since it's going to be futile.

Conclusion: Volo doesnt like Neeshka and thinks she is a crap character. Some agree. Tigranes likes Neeshka and thinks she is a good character. Some agree.

Magical Volo wins yet again, game over, etc.

moving on.

Paladins are not allowed to journey with evil companions. Neeshka is of true neutral alignment. At no point in D&D is a paladin barred from journeying with rogues or thieves.

On the other hand, paladins are supposed to immediately lose their paladinhood if they willingly commit an evil act and that's not implemented in the game.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I just had my first CTD :p

But I think playing the game for 5 hours straight had something to do with that.  :ph34r:

Have you been saving often?

I have experienced a few so far. Good thing I save every fifteen minutes or before a fight.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

And yes, hate is a powerful word these days. My usage is rather ancient and I'm used to discussing it with my friends, so I sometimes forget not everyone has that background.

Not to take things too far out off topic, but how ancient exactly was this usage?

alanschu:

"Not to take things too far out off topic, but how ancient exactly was this usage?"

Classical greek.

O.E. hatian "to hate," from P.Gmc. *khatojanan (cf. O.S. haton, O.N. hata, Ger. hassen, Goth. hatan "to hate"), from PIE base *kedes- "feel strongly" (cf. Avestan sadra- "grief, sorrow, calamity," Gk. kedos "care, trouble, sorrow," Welsh cas "pain, anger"). The noun is O.E. hete "hatred, spite," from P.Gmc. *khatis-, altered in M.E. to conform with the verb.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

The Oxford Concise says it arrived to English from German ... not sure if this supports or contradicts your statement, Maria ... :blink: (In other words I'm not sure if the Greeks had much influence over the old Germans).

hate

n verb feel intense dislike for or a strong aversion towards.

n noun

1 intense dislike; strong aversion.

2 informal a disliked person or thing: Richard's pet hate is filling in tax forms.

DERIVATIVES

hatable (also hateable) adjective

hater noun

ORIGIN

Old English hatian (verb), hete (noun), of Germanic origin.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

OT: Don't have references in front of me but it was used back in the days of the Hebrews (Jacob 'hated' Leah, or loved her less than Rachel). Greece had four words for varying degrees of love, and likely also for hate though I don't know them off the top of my head. That is, Koine Greek (pardon lack of diacritic), or common Greek did. I've little knowledge of the upper class, Epsilon (Classic) greek. Back then it was more powerful to say someone was 'despicable' or that you 'despised' them. Hate didn't carry as much weight as it does in modern times, where it is used in the absolute sense.

Bugs...

Last night I noticed another AI glitch (imagine that). When I tell my characters to Stand Ground, they will stand still and ignore any creatures attacking them, even in melee. They shouldn't follow me around, but they should stay in the area I selected and defend themselves. As it was, they behaved as if I'd enabled Puppet Mode, which I hadn't.

Normally I put them in a safe place, but since this game employs the ages-old spawn crutch (rather than populating the map realistically to begin with), it's not unusual to have creatures spawn right on top of you, out of thin air. :blink: As well, spawning causes a bit of lag as the creatures are loading in. I don't mind ambush spawns if they come from out of the ground or from behind a door, but popping out of thin air (unless they're shadows) is unrealistic.

I see occasional flickering polygons in the horizon, but I attribute that to drivers. It's not too big a deal, though I did catch one artifact in a screenshot. I'm planning a hardware upgrade which should take care of the performance issues. And not just for this game; Half-Life Episode 2 is going to take some processor power as well what with dynamic physics, larger outdoor areas, and HDR. Also Dragon Age is on the horizon.

metadigital:

"The Oxford Concise says it arrived to English from German ... not sure if this supports or contradicts your statement, Maria ... (In other words I'm not sure if the Greeks had much influence over the old Germans)."

It supports it. The Goths got it from Greeks. The original word we can trace it to is "*kedes-" which is "feel strongly."

Edited by Maria Caliban

roshan:

"Well Marias statement says that it entered classical Greek from germanic."

No, it says the opposite.

"I think its more likely that the word was always an English word rather than being imported from Greek."

Every (actually 98% I'd guess) English word comes from non-English languages. It was always an English word as it predates the English language.

I just had my first CTD :mellow:

But I think playing the game for 5 hours straight had something to do with that.  :ph34r:

Have you been saving often?

I have experienced a few so far. Good thing I save every fifteen minutes or before a fight.

Usually. :ph34r:

Sometimes I forget. :sorcerer:

Thankfully when I went back, I found I'd saved just before the crash. Well, before the fight that was before the crash... so I didn't lose much. :)

metadigital:

"The Oxford Concise says it arrived to English from German ... not sure if this supports or contradicts your statement, Maria ...  (In other words I'm not sure if the Greeks had much influence over the old Germans)."

It supports it. The Goths got it from Greeks. The original word we can trace it to is "*kedes-" which is "feel strongly."

Actually looking at it again it mentions absolutely nothing about it being a greek word or coming from greek. It traces it to old english and from there to proto germanic. It them mentions cognates accross the different branches of the germanic language tree including gothic and german. Proto germanic is the reconstructed ancestor language of all the germanic languages(which includes English). It then states that this proto germanic word comes from proto indo european, which is the reconstructed ancestor of a wide number of languages all the way from Europe to India.

After it mentions the theoreticized proto indo european root, it provides several cognates accross the various branches of indo european including avestan(indo-persian branch), greek, and also Welsh(Celtic).

O.E. hatian "to hate," from P.Gmc. *khatojanan (cf. O.S. haton, O.N. hata, Ger. hassen, Goth. hatan "to hate"), from PIE base *kedes- "feel strongly" (cf. Avestan sadra- "grief, sorrow, calamity," Gk. kedos "care, trouble, sorrow," Welsh cas "pain, anger"). The noun is O.E. hete "hatred, spite," from P.Gmc. *khatis-, altered in M.E. to conform with the verb.

In other words it is basically saying that hate is a native English word.

Found a visual bug. The fight at Riverguard Keep some of the goblins where half way below the ground fighting me. Pretty funny. I saw this error before in Bloodlines at the Guivanie Mansion where some of the guards had half their body above the ground.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

Perhaps the walkmeshes conflicted with the elevation. It happens in Morrowind, Oblivion, Gothic 3 as well. (I remember when I was walking downa corridor then fell through the floor. The floor of the 6th floor.)