NWN2 Discussion Thread

roshan

have not played nwn2... yet. however, we gots Qs for some of you that has played.

we perused manual and we can't figure nothing 'bout crafting. anybody can tell Gromnir 'bout item crafting in nwn2? can any party member craft, or only pc? is there xp costs for crafting? is like toee crafting, or complete different?

also, am really disliking warpriests in d&d... poor balance. pretty much all the advantages of being a fighter/cleric plus some special powhaz... and no loss of turning level. however, after reading manual we not see if warpriests have their turning level increase. any answer?

we gots a friend with an okie dokie pc similar to Gromnir's: 6800 gs 256mb pci, athlon 3800+ x2... though he got an asus mb and we is using msi now, and he gots dual raptor's hd's in a raid config, and we gots a seagate that ain't near as crappy as josh seems to think it is. 1 gig crucial ballistix. that being said, when our friend loads up 1st time, nwn2 reccomends min settings, which our friend ignores. friend says this game is a hog and he gets weird lags and warping effects, and he cannot turn up graphic settings much beyond min.

am kinda holding off for the time being, but we can't believe that nwn2 is so badly built that you needs a super computer to get graphics that looks better than nwn1.

*shrug*

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

we perused manual and we can't figure nothing 'bout crafting.  anybody can tell Gromnir 'bout item crafting in nwn2?  can any party member craft, or only pc?  is there xp costs for crafting?  is like toee crafting, or complete different?

Crafting:

A.

-get a "mold" which is a single use recipe for a weapon or an armour

-get steel ingots or similar

-place the stuff in a workbench, which is just a container really

-use an smiths hammer on the workbench

-your thingie is ready

B.

-get a "recipe" book

-gather ingredients like gems or weird energy blobs you get from breaking down zombie limbs etc

-put it all in a workbench

-now cast the spell described in the recipe on the workbench to create your magic amulet or whatever

To do this you need various item creation feats like "craft wondrous item" aswellas as ranks in a craft skill like "craft alchemy". the better stuff you tryto make, the more ranks you need and the more expensive the ingredients will be.

Still, you can get away with a +2 fullplate armour at a cost of just 2-3000g instead of 6-8000 which is the store price. from what I can tell there is no XP cost

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

can joinable npcs do crafting too? am curious 'cause we is deciding whether or not to play cleric or bard and we ain't sure how much we wants to devote skills/feats to crafting. w/o xp costs it seems kinda bad balance, but what does Gromnir know.

oh, and thanks.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I think the smartest thing is to let an NPC handle it and focus your own character towards powergam.. I mean "optimization" :dancing:"

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

friend says this game is a hog and he gets weird lags and warping effects, and he cannot turn up graphic settings much beyond min.

am kinda holding off for the time being, but we can't believe that nwn2 is so badly built that you needs a super computer to get graphics that looks better than nwn1.

I make your friend about right, Grom. NWN2 is a greedy sonofabitch with what I am assuming are some esoteric engine quirks. Even my machine doesn't really like the highest resloution with maxed settings, and it's a fairly new, well-maintained Dell XPS gaming rig with all the bells and whistles. Basically, NWN2 is one of those games you have to sit and tweak for a bit to see which bits your 'puter likes and which bits it doesn't.

The graphics are better than NWN even on the sucky settings, it just isn't cartoony, the clothing on the character models aren't straight out of a pantomime, and the scenery is nice. And the D&D hardcore rules are quite a lot of fun in combat, it feels a little bit more tactical than NWN1.

Have abandoned wife and child to play NWN2 today. This is a good sign, well perhaps not for my family but I don't play games as often as I'd like to anymore so well done Obsidian.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

anyone have a list of recruitables for the keep an how to get them? Guyven is pissing me off. In chapter 2 The Luskan bitch told me he was in Old Owl Well or Duskwood, I found him in both, then found him in ember, an now I can't find him. Heres a suggestion for the next patch: Change her informant ability so you can ask about multiple people for recruitment, instead of only one at a time.

EDIT: Dude, they don't bleep Bitch anymore.

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Hope I'm not OT here, but .. what's with the auto-respawn on death? You're not supposed to die? If you die, you just respawn and the game continues. I play on "normal"-difficulty. The story is 110% linear (so far), and you can't die. How fun is that? :aiee:

Sorry about the whining..

J.

Edited by Junai

Hope I'm not OT here, but .. what's with the auto-respawn on death? You're not supposed to die? If you die, you just respawn and the game continues. I play on "normal"-difficulty. The story is 110% linear (so far), and you can't die. How fun is that?  :aiee:

J.

You can die if your entire party dies. It's like as long as you have one person left you can drag the rest of your parties bloated and decaying corpses back to a temple to raise them, but without the tedious trip back to the city. :(

I wonder if I should install the patch. I heard it will make your saved games unplayable and you will have to start over.

which patch? i have both 1.01 and 1.02 and no issues so far. they pulled the 2nd due to MP server issues and i haven't checked to see if it has been reissued.

so far, no crashes, very few real bugs, and a lot of fun on nearly 25 hours of play. there are minor bugs (like my selected character running towards a selected item and suddenly jumping back 20 feet), but nothing game stopping and nothing that causes problems.

my current settings are: low shadows, no water effects, medium textures, no bloom, no "normal texture mapping" (or whatever that box is), 1024x768 @ 85 Hz (i assume 85 Hz as that's my normal for windows), linear on all the filtering. 45+ fps outdoors and nearly 60 fps indoors except around water which seems to be a hog even with effects turned off. fortunately there isn't much water to worry about. oh, v-sync is turned off in the nVidia control panel.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

NWN2 may be a resource sucker but at least its not like Bloodlines.

I wonder if I should install the patch. I heard it will make your saved games unplayable and you will have to start over.

I was wondering the same thing too.

Might be safer to just play the game to the end, then patch, then start round two.

Hope I'm not OT here, but .. what's with the auto-respawn on death? You're not supposed to die? If you die, you just respawn and the game continues. I play on "normal"-difficulty. The story is 110% linear (so far), and you can't die. How fun is that?  :ermm:

J.

Beacuse most of t he time, death is utterly pointless and the unconciousness works the same apart from the fact you don't have to spew rezz spells after every battle at mid-high levels. If I have to choose between Die and become revived through magic or being incapacitated and wake up after the battle, I'd choose the latter any day. The constant dying and become alive again was a pest in NWN1, especially in MP.

which patch? i have both 1.01 and 1.02 and no issues so far. they pulled the 2nd due to MP server issues and i haven't checked to see if it has been reissued.

so far, no crashes, very few real bugs, and a lot of fun on nearly 25 hours of play. there are minor bugs (like my selected character running towards a selected item and suddenly jumping back 20 feet), but nothing game stopping and nothing that causes problems.

my current settings are: low shadows, no water effects, medium textures, no bloom, no "normal texture mapping" (or whatever that box is), 1024x768 @ 85 Hz (i assume 85 Hz as that's my normal for windows), linear on all the filtering. 45+ fps outdoors and nearly 60 fps indoors except around water which seems to be a hog even with effects turned off. fortunately there isn't much water to worry about. oh, v-sync is turned off in the nVidia control panel.

taks

i dont get it, my FPS is 20-30 outdoors and 10-15 indoors.

have you both checked your control panel option for v-sync? that doubled my performance immediately. i think v-sync is good for FPS games where tearing is an issue, but not with this game.

also, turn off shadows and cut your lights down. i have mine set to 3.

another issue i've commonly seen is with games running in the same resolution as your normal windows settings. conflicts from running any game with different settings seem to cause problems.

taks

oops, i may have my frames numbers backwards. i can't check at the moment. i know for sure, however, that with complete minimum settings, there's a point in act 2 where you're in a water filled cave. i got 15 at best in there. fortunately, there wasn't much going on in said cave.

taks

have you both checked your control panel option for v-sync?  that doubled my performance immediately.  i think v-sync is good for FPS games where tearing is an issue, but not with this game.

also, turn off shadows and cut your lights down.  i have mine set to 3.

another issue i've commonly seen is with games running in the same resolution as your normal windows settings.  conflicts from running any game with different settings seem to cause problems.

taks

Wow! v-sync worked! I've got 15-30 FPS outside now! Hurray! So much better than 12 FPS! :cat:

Just thought I'd pop in. I still don't have my copy, but checking with Amazon.co.uk there are a lot of negative reviews. What the feth is going on?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

ayup.  they need to default v-sync to off, IMO.  many, many posters have seen the same improvements from this.

taks

I dont even have an option for Vsync it seems? Cant find it under options and not in the *.ini file :cat:

Id better look again.. edit: nope, its not there?!

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

I dont even have an option for Vsync it seems? Cant find it under options and not in the *.ini file :(

Id better look again..  edit: nope, its not there?!

it's not an NWN2 option. only through your windows control panel can you set it.

right click on your desktop. click the "Settings" tab. click the "Advanced" button at the bottom. one of the tabs will be either "GeForce <whatever>" or something similar for ATI. if it's a GeForce, click that tab and a little sticky will pop up on the left. the top option will be "GeForce FX <whatever>". click that and then "Performance & Quality Settings." there will be several things on the next screen, including a scroll-bar list titled "Settings" under the "Global driver settings" box. scroll down to "Vertical sync" and click it. at the bottom, a slider will appear with another check-box that says "Application-controlled." uncheck that box and move the slider to the left (or wherever the "off" position is).

taks