BREAKING NEWS: MCA NWN2 DESIGNER DIARY

The problem is that we have about 3500 icons in NWN2 and Menze's icons could only really account for maybe 200-350 of those.  Ian and krew re-used some of them, but they still had to make boatloads of new ones.

What 3500 icons! I assume these must be for weapons, special abilities, throwing apparatus

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

hypothetically speaking, if a modder wants to use obsidian assets then why not request formally... rather than trying to be a sneaky little punk 'bout it?  write a letter and ask.  build a game or some other media that uses obsidian resources in the hope that they won't come after you likes LA does is just plain gutless... you deserve to get your arse handed to you if you take the coward's approach... hypothetically speaking.

HA! Good Fun!

In Josh Sawyers words:

When even the angriest and most rabidly unruly Fallout fans at satellite websites produce more useful feedback than you are, something's wrong. Rosh would probably blow my foot off with C4 as soon as look at me, but even he has given me more useful feedback on the development of this project.

:thumbsup:

Since you have a track record of bad advice i'll ignore your remarks once again, Gromnir. Thank you for your time.

if you somehow take josh's words as a suggestion that it is ok to steal obsidian assets, then you is beyond help, regardless of the quality of our advice. noting that useful feedback comes from nma and dac means that it is a good notion to steal from obsidian? wacky. must be that language barrier thing again.

am not sure which track record you is talking 'bout though. perhaps you refer to Gromnir suggesting that people should not buy games on day 1 if they wants to stop getting buggy games, or pointing out that toee looked like it were doomed even before it were released.

HA! Good Fun!

ps

Gromnir is honestly at a loss to recall when josh told Gromnir that "even the angriest and most unruly fans" at places like dac and nma were producing more useful feedback than Gromnir. please post whole thread or a link or somesuch. would be fun to take a stroll down memory lane. perhaps it were when we slammed him for his ammo notions?

*shrug*

in any event, the quote w/o context gives us little of your vaunted useful feedback.

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I believe that quote was once directed at Visc. Or it could have beend irected at me. Who knows.

Anyways, as for the 3500 icons. It's a lot; but I'm not that shocked. NWN2 should have lots of icons due all the spells, feats, skills, weapons, armours, etc., etc. likely to be in the game.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

NWN1 had lots of icons too... does anyone have any numbers so that we can compare?

BTW, Jefferson FTW!!!!!!!!!!! >_<:p:)

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

I believe that quote was once directed at Visc. Or it could have beend irected at me. Who knows.

Anyways, as for the 3500 icons. It's a lot; but I'm not that shocked. NWN2 should have lots of icons due all the spells, feats, skills, weapons, armours,  etc., etc. likely to be in the game.

No, it was for Gromnir. Yet again he's not doing a productive and valid contribution, i'm interested in Sawyer's view, since he's not the BS type of guy.

Oh and IWD art was the only thing i liked about the games.

Anyways, as for the 3500 icons. It's a lot; but I'm not that shocked. NWN2 should have lots of icons due all the spells, feats, skills, weapons, armours,  etc., etc. likely to be in the game.

No, it was for Gromnir. Yet again he's not doing a productive and valid contribution, i'm interested in Sawyer's view, since he's not the BS type of guy.

no link or context? not very helpful. was limited to a game or a specific issue? maybe you is right and josh gots 0 respect for Gromnir pov. josh could clarify if he wished we s'pose, but otherwise we would have to take your word... and as your track record for such things is suspect...

is doubtful that josh would be so foolish as to give you advice in favor of stealing obsidian assets on a public accessable message board. if a person wanted seemingly useless obsidian assets then the obvious thing to do is to be a man, sack up, and write a letter to the powers that be at obsidian requesting the use of such things. ask a developer if stealing would be ok on a board like this is just plain stoopid... but that should come as no surprise to us.

if the hypothetical assets is indeed useless, then why not simply ask for them? have your hypothetical yutz steal 'em first and then hope that obsidian don't care 'nuff to get angry is the wrong way to do things.

am not sure why some hypothetical folks gotta try and do things the cowardly way.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

no link or context?  not very helpful.  was limited  to a game or a specific issue?  maybe you is right and josh gots 0 respect for Gromnir pov.  josh could clarify if he wished we s'pose, but otherwise we would have to take your word... and as your track record for such things is suspect...

It was a joke, but it was helpfull to ilustrate your tendency to post irrelevant drible, mixed with some interesting thoughts and ideas from time to time, of course. Again i'm not interested in your opinion, it is completely irrelevant to me on this issue.

no link or context?  not very helpful.  was limited  to a game or a specific issue?  maybe you is right and josh gots 0 respect for Gromnir pov.  josh could clarify if he wished we s'pose, but otherwise we would have to take your word... and as your track record for such things is suspect...

It was a joke, but it was helpfull to ilustrate your tendency to post irrelevant drible, mixed with some interesting thoughts and ideas from time to time, of course. Again i'm not interested in your opinion, it is completely irrelevant to me on this issue.

ah. we see why you not wanna initially give context.

nevertheless, our advice in this instance is sound. try to get josh to ok theft on board is probably not best approach. why not have your hypothetical person do like an adult and formally request? suggest that only jerks would put the kybosh on thefts as a way to get a obsidian developer to ok theft is probaly not the best approach we has seen.

btw, Gromnir likes the iwd2/ps:t icons... but if there ain't enough, then there ain't enough.

HA! Good Fun!

I must say I prefer when they just scale down the weapon/armour/item models and place them in the inventory that way, before drawn icons. I think that's how they did it in Gothic and if I remember correctly the items were somehow animated when the focus was on them.. I think.

Seems like a waste of time and effort to draw 3500+ tiny icons.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

am recalling the nwn radial menu and all the choices that you could access from it. turn undead ability and spells and feats and skills n' such. we suspect that each o' those things needs an icon. doubt it is simply weapons and armour that is accounting for +3000 icons. though we agree that where armour and weapon icons is needed, mk's solution works just fine.

HA! Good Fun!

Speaking of art, here's a ton of NWN2 concept art by Justin Cherry http://nivbed.livejournal.com/62795.html#cutid1

And here's a new Q&A with MCA http://www.totalvideogames.com/articles/Ne..._0_0_0_0_20.htm

If I were to point to one of the distinguishing features of Neverwinter Nights 2, I would have to say it'd be the stronghold mechanics (recruiting and building your home base) - it's one of the design backbones in the game, and it sees a lot of use throughout the campaign.

The quests run the range of module-spanning dramatic quests that require a great deal of exploring, investigating, and even debating at points, to simple fetch and exploration missions of the local environment... but as players will discover, hacking and slashing isn't going to be enough to reach your goals in the intrigue-ridden city of Neverwinter. There are always politics and factions to keep in mind, and how the player handles both them and the immediate threat plays a big role in the game.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Thanks for the links and to Cherry for posting the pics. Some of the concept scenery's going to see rotation on my desktop background.

Spoiler: You can get info by checking out the pic filenames.

Spreading beauty with my katana.

That's very pretty, and it has a waterfall! It's now my new desktop. :geek:

(I'm a sucker for waterfalls.)

Edit - Ooh, my two thousandth post! :)

Edited by SteveThaiBinh

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Could you also go into a little detail about the creatures through Neverwinter players can expect to come across?

We've chosen monsters not only for their involvement in the story, but for their usefulness to the mod community. If I were to cite a specific creature, I guess I would point to the Succubus, since it has popularity hereto unseen by most denizens of the monstrous manual. This is probably because they "attack" most victims through a means they find pleasurable. If you have to die, it's a hell of a way to go. You may not even mind seeing the death screen as long as you took screenshots of what happened shortly before your character's death, who knows.

:geek:

2 new PrC were leaked today! They look possibly cool too. :cool:

Don't tease them just post a link... :wub:

http://www.nwn2news.net/modules/news/artic...hp?storyid=1142

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

HA! That shouldn't sound as big news. The eldricht knight is one of the crappiest prestige classes afterall...

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

both prcs is lame. all prcs is lame, but these is worse than most. ek has been beat to death on why it is sucky, and war priests...

you wanna play a fighter/cleric that is still good at turning undead? play a war priest. is all a war priest really is... a way to get 'round the relative sucky turning ability o' a fighter/cleric and throw in some bonus super powers to get 'round lack of bonus feats for fighter classes not took. is pure cheese.

HA! Good Fun!