BREAKING NEWS: NEXT GENERATION OF RPG REACHED

Llyranor

"A new generation of RPG players have taken over. The new generation demands a combination of fast paced action with some of the older RPG elements such as character building, questing etc.

By this I mean - if you do not like these new kinds of RPGs - where Oblivion is by far the best ever!! - go buy yorself a piece of paper and a pen and draw out your own old fashion wuzz D&D RPG where you sit around and talk and talk and read and read - and you can be your own dungeon master deciding exactly what is going to happen ;-) Or you can dust of one of the old 2D RPGs and play for sentimental value as you miss "the good old days" so much. OR you can take a hike out to the forest and run around screaming yor "stats" at each other being really geeky.

Bethesda has never promised that they were going to be the "protectors" of the old generation of RPGs which has so much sentimental value to some older RPG players - they are a flexible modern company that adjust themselves to the market demands, whereas they have implemented a lot of changes in this new edition of TES. Flexibility + meeting market demands = High sales... can you blame them?

If yes, you do not belong in the target group of RPG players of today - so go dry your eyes and write your own RPG on a piece of paper if that is what you miss so much - for the rest of us - the new generation - we are having a blast!!"

Oh, right. The source. http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.p...howtopic=313238

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

ROCK IS DEAD!

PUNK IS DEAD!

DISCO IS DEAD!

Catch my drift?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

RPG ARE DEAD

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

He's sort of right if less than diplomatic. The more people who play CRPGs who did not come from a PnP background the less relevent PnP will become to CRPG design.

Although on the other points he's dead wrong.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

He's sort of right if less than diplomatic. The more people who play CRPGs who did not come from a PnP background the less relevent PnP will become to CRPG design.

Although on the other points he's dead wrong.

Correct. PNP has nothing to do with preferring the old style of CRPGs.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

"A new generation of RPG players have taken over. The new generation demands a combination of fast paced action with some of the older RPG elements such as character building, questing etc.

By this I mean - if you do not like these new kinds of RPGs - where Oblivion is by far the best ever!! - go buy yorself a piece of paper and a pen and draw out your own old fashion wuzz D&D RPG where you sit around and talk and talk and read and read - and you can be your own dungeon master deciding exactly what is going to happen ;-) Or you can dust of one of the old 2D RPGs and play for sentimental value as you miss "the good old days" so much. OR you can take a hike out to the forest and run around screaming yor "stats" at each other being really geeky.

Bethesda has never promised that they were going to be the "protectors" of the old generation of RPGs which has so much sentimental value to some older RPG players - they are a flexible modern company that adjust themselves to the market demands, whereas they have implemented a lot of changes in this new edition of TES. Flexibility + meeting market demands = High sales... can you blame them?

If yes, you do not belong in the target group of RPG players of today - so go dry your eyes and write your own RPG on a piece of paper if that is what you miss so much - for the rest of us - the new generation - we are having a blast!!"

Oh, right. The source. http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.p...howtopic=313238

Someone sounds ****y...

ROCK IS DEAD!

PUNK IS DEAD!

DISCO IS DEAD!

Catch my drift?

I think Disco is dead... I'm sorry...

Edited by Craigboy2

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

The ES forums do not have the brightest and most interesting posters on the net. Not to say they are all bad, but the quality is pretty low. It used to be a pretty cool place to hang-out, back in the pre-Morrowind release days. And afterwards it was still ok for a while. Then Bethesda nuked the boards and forced everyone to reregister. I never borthered at that point.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Someone sounds ****y...

ROCK IS DEAD!

PUNK IS DEAD!

DISCO IS DEAD!

Catch my drift?

I think Disco is dead... I'm sorry...

Die disco die! I hate disco and the 70's.

Anyone else starting to feel old?

Wise perhaps, not old. :D

Anyone else starting to feel old?

Why are you looking at me when you say that? 8)"

The problem isn't being old, it's being surrounded by idiots like those.

Correctamundo!

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

That RPGs have to contain realtime action combat to sell is one of those classic misconceptions that some idiot bastard publisher go into their heads. The same applies to the RTS vs. TBS row.

Good, well-made games sell well. Thats the only rule there is. Most people Ive talked to think Fallouts combat ws a lot more fun than Olbivions where its more of something you need to do rather than something you play the game for.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

And the rest : Wizardry, Diablo, Elder Scrolls, Might & Magic, Ultima.

What do these games have in common? :huh:

How do you even dare to put Ultima and Diablo in the same category?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Comes down to preference and overall quality.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast