What are you playing now?

Darque

I'm, uh...I'm addicted to the free trial of Eve Online.

Oooo, this sounds encouraging. Can you tell us more about the gameplay, the style, the ambience (is it a fantasy MMORPH or a Sci-Fi MMORPH) and what about the game you find particularly addictive?

I've been hearing some good things about it. I should probably just Google up the game's home page, but would prefer direct player feedback if I can get it.

Oooo, this sounds encouraging.  Can you tell us more about the gameplay, the style, the ambience (is it a fantasy MMORPH or a Sci-Fi MMORPH) and what about the game you find particularly addictive?

Scifi spaceship type thing, the strong points are a very freeform universe, you can mine, do missions, bounty hunt, pirate other players, form corporations, build spacestations, craft ships and trade them. It's hard not to admire a game which allows bounty hunting orginisations to exist, but at the same time the game is VERY gank friendly and skills increase over time, not with use, so those who have been playing since the same was released still have a huge advantage over you, even if they only play 1 hour a week while you play 10.

A game which has always tempted me but I have never been quite brave enough to try out.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Scifi spaceship type thing, the strong points are a very freeform universe, you can mine, do missions, bounty hunt, pirate other players, form corporations, build spacestations, craft ships and trade them. It's hard not to admire a game which allows bounty hunting orginisations to exist, but at the same time the game is VERY gank friendly and skills increase over time, not with use, so those who have been playing since the same was released still have a huge advantage over you, even if they only play 1 hour a week while you play 10.

A game which has always tempted me but I have never been quite brave enough to try out.

Thanks for the info! It doesn't sound like it would float my personal boat. I'm seriously turned off by the whole PvP/Gank thing. Still it seems like an ambitious product that would be a godsend to certain kinds of players. Just not me. :)

Quake 4, its better then Fear. Graphics run as smooth as butta and look great,

True. Its a very well made game.

However, the game itself is boring. Typical sci-fi weapons, armor, setting. Story is pretty boring and ends up just getting in the way a lot of the time... The gameplay itself is to generic.

Agreed. :blink: I do think they could have beefed up the story and gameplay by giving it a Dues Ex Feel after you know what, glorifying it and showing the benefits off what being one of "them". Also a little humor goes a long way, my favorite FPS was NOLF 1 and 2 for a reason.

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

Are the skellies worth anything after entering Nightmare? I've never played necro for long.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Still playing Diablo 2 and my hc druid died yesterday on lvl 77. So I made myself a necromancer(bonemancer in this case).

You're having really bad luck it seems >_<

No, not bad luck. I should never go and play with dolls. Undead stygian dolls that when one dies near me I lose about 80% of my hp and they never travel alone. Basicly it

Edited by kirottu

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Picked up KOTOR (playing that at the moment) and KOTOR II over the holidays, also the Halflife anthology and Halflife 2, LOTR: Battle for Middle Earth, and NHL 06, and am considering getting the NWN Diamond Pack if I can find it, so I'm gonna be busy leading up to NWN2.

Also still have to install and play Morrowind GOTY edition, and *cough* Lionheart *cough at some point, I guess.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

Thanks for the info! It doesn't sound like it would float my personal boat. I'm seriously turned off by the whole PvP/Gank thing. Still it seems like an ambitious product that would be a godsend to certain kinds of players. Just not me. :p

From what I've seen of it, it's not -entirely- like that. There certainly are PC pirates around, but they can be avoided for as long as you like. Various star systems are security rated, from 0.0 (completely lawless) to 1.0 (very lawful). Anything at 0.5 or above has the NPC galactic police patrolling pretty frequently, and usually always at the jumpgates, which is where ganks tend to take place. That said, some of the most lucrative trade routes and mining opportunities can be found in the dangerous zones.

Another thing that doesn't often get mentioned about the game is its size. There's only one server. It's huge. It'd probably take you a couple of days to fly across the entire map.

Speaking of days, the skill system is the one thing I don't like about the game; skill advancement takes place simply by clicking a button on your character sheet, and then watching a little timer slowly count down to zero. I'm only a couple of days in, but I'm already to the point where I've got skills that take a day or more to train up to the next level.

Fortunately, there is plenty to do, and though I'm not a big PvP guy, it does add an element of danger to the game. I made about two million isk (the currency in the game), and decided to rather wrecklessly spend it all on a potentially extremely lucrative cargo of spirits; I found out that the station I intended to sell to considered spirits as contraband (it belonged to the religious faction), and so I was stuck out in pretty dangerous space with all of my cash tied up in cargo sitting in my hold; I could sell for a massive loss in the same system that I bought them in, or risk a very long route to a system that had a buyer willing to pay even more for the liquor.

A PC pirate decloaked on the very last jump gate and took me out. I was tense as hell the entire ride, and I wasn't even ticked when he did it, just because that sort of emotional investment in a game is rare - at least for me. I suppose it's pretty common in the MMORPG world.

All in all, it's a fourteen day risk-free trial, so you don't lose anything by trying it out. If anyone does, feel free to PM me, I'll hook you up with who I am in-game, at least as long as my live-in cook continues to tolerate such behavior.

Edit: Oh, one other thing...the playerbase, for the most part, is amazingly friendly and helpful. I had a guy spend a good two hours teaching me some tricks to mining that I never would've come up with on my own. There are plenty of people who hate the player 'rats as well, and voluntarily provide security to various systems.

Second edit: God, I'm lame.

Edited by Commissar

Still playing Diablo 2 and my hc druid died yesterday on lvl 77. So I made myself a necromancer(bonemancer in this case).

The one thing I liked about the Necormancer is all the cannon fodder he can summon to take all the hits.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I went out and bought Bloodlines and it runs (albeit barely) on my computer! I thought for sure I would have to get a new graphics card, but several of the tweaks posted in the other thread have helped my machine run that beast.

I just played through the Ocean House hotel, and it's been a long time since I was that immersed in a game. What a fantastic quest.

I've got most of the high-end options turned off and my page file cranked up. Even with low graphics options the game still looks better than anything else I've played on the computer.

If anyone's interested, I have a AMD 2600 (~2.08 ghz), with 512 MB of RAM. However, my video card, an integrated GeForce 4 MX, is sharing 64 of that 512 MB. I do have a 120 GB hard drive though, so increasing the page file up past the recommended 1.4 gigs was not a problem at all.

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

[ I made about two million isk (the currency in the game), and decided to rather wrecklessly spend it all on a potentially extremely lucrative cargo of spirits; I found out that the station I intended to sell to considered spirits as contraband (it belonged to the religious faction), and so I was stuck out in pretty dangerous space with all of my cash tied up in cargo sitting in my hold; I could sell for a massive loss in the same system that I bought them in, or risk a very long route to a system that had a buyer willing to pay even more for the liquor.

A PC pirate decloaked on the very last jump gate and took me out.  I was tense as hell the entire ride, and I wasn't even ticked when he did it, just because that sort of emotional investment in a game is rare - at least for me.  I suppose it's pretty common in the MMORPG world.

That's f%@& awesome. Even reading that got me so excited I almost wet myself. I love space sims. I want this game. This is my kind of game.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

That's f%@& awesome.  Even reading that got me so excited I almost wet myself.  I love space sims.  I want this game.  This is my kind of game.

Download the free trial, then. It gives you fourteen days to play around with everything and decide if you like it. I'm still on mine, and if I don't get bored in two weeks, I'll likely go ahead and buy it.