BETTER STORYLINE

KOTOR or KOTOR2  

236 members have voted

1. 1. KOTOR or KOTOR2

• KOTOR
    • KOTORII

i kinda found the story in kotor1 very monotonous. even the big twist was incredibly obvious (i figured it out when i first spoke to the jedi council!!!)

if you remove all the sidequests, kotor1 takes me about 6 hours at MOST!

first playthrough of kotor2 i found the story kinda boring, but thats coz i skipped through half of the conversations and never really payed attention to what was being said. after playing through a second time, i played close attention to the dialogue, and i have to admit, it intrigued me.

i have to say i liked kotor2's storyline better than kotor1, in part because it forced you to look beyond the normal light/dark ideas. i admit that it was listening to jolee's dialogue in kotor1 that started me on the path, but kotor2's storyline continued it in a lot of depth

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

Oh by the way... is Jedi Academy worth buying?

Could someone tell me how the game works... :)

Only worth buying if you're a die hard Star Wars fan and love twitch-gaming.

Basically the entire game is broken up into different missions on various planets. Completing a mission grants you new Force Powers, which can be light or dark. After completing a certain number of missions, you have the choice of advancing the plot (which is thoroughly lame), which will result in more missions (yay!), or going back and completing the previous missions.

The combat is just like that of any other FPS (guns, grenades etc),...with the exception of the lightsaber - which the game is really about: Lightsaber combat is done in 3rd person real-time and is pretty manic stuff, never really giving you the impression of control that an elegant weapon from a more civilised age would. Instead, it degenerates into a click-fest. However there are various styles you can acquire over the course of the game (e.g double bladed , dual wielding, fast, strong etc).

Furthermore the game can get seriously frustrating as there's a lot of "jump here then there then over here in a this exact way in this exact time, then push that tile whilst pulling this lever". Oh, as for that choose your destiny bullcrap, there's really just one key moment pretty much right at the end, where you choose the Light or Dark path...which was outstandingly lame.

When all's said and done and if you insist on purchasing this game, only bother to select the Heal and Choke powers, as the others are pretty much a waste of time. When you have these two maxed out you can effectivley heal on the fly whilst tossing people off edges to their demise. Oh, and lighsaber combos/moves can be aesthetically pleasing if you can be bothered to get good with them.

:lol:

manthing2.jpg

Two wins hands down. If there is one thing I hate in a supposed RPG it's having to play stupid until the plot catches up with what I know.

If it has nothing to do with in game clues then thats ok , i'm a sharp cookie with lots of RPG experience and I tend to see through plots. Cant blame the writers for that. But when they effectively have ye olde plot twist and do all but illumiate it with a neon sign it dosnt make me a happy camper.

Shryke really nailed what seperates KOTOR I and KOTOR II. KOTOR I your better off not paying attention, in KOTOR II paying attention is a requirement of piecing together the story.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

KotOR II had the potential to have a better story than the first. However, OE/LA produced a script-fest that was incomplete and relied too much on bug-ridden quests and cut-scenes.

Since the poll is asking about what is better from two on-the-retail-shelf games, I'll give the nod to K1. If you're going to ask which would have been better if OE/LA actually finished the game and worked out the bugs, then K2 may be better (we may never know...).

To the person asking about Jedi Academy, get it only if you can find it for less than $10. Jedi Outcast was a much better game overall.

KOTOR 1 had great climate, but story? Story is a too big word for that naive sham bioware came up with. No comparison to Throne of Bhaal or Shadows of Amn - K1 story is worst of all bioware games... another mechanical sith, another superweapon, another princess and that Revan twist that semi-intelligent gamer can foresee long before... goosh

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

Two wins hands down. If there is one thing I hate in a supposed RPG  it's having to play stupid until the plot catches up with what I know.

If it has nothing to do with in game clues then thats ok , i'm a sharp cookie with lots of RPG experience and I tend to see through plots. Cant blame the writers for that. But when they effectively have ye olde plot twist and do all but illumiate it with a neon sign it dosnt make me a happy camper.

Shryke really nailed what seperates KOTOR I and KOTOR II. KOTOR I your better off not paying attention, in KOTOR II paying attention is a requirement of piecing together the story.

Totally agree SP,

I found when reading the complaints, on these forums, when game first released. A good 80% of the complaints were because people were to use to not reading what was said and treated K2 like every other RPG/RTS game recently and ran into trouble.

Im like you, plots and twists very very rarely surprise me in games. But K2 did it far better in making the plots matter to the story then other games. Also the Party NPC backstories were not transparent like party NPCs in K1. So I found that made those characters more interesting over all as well.

Im like you, plots and twists very very rarely surprise me in games. But K2 did it far better in making the plots matter to the story then other games. Also the Party NPC backstories were not transparent like party NPCs in K1. So I found that made those characters more interesting over all as well.

Very true. Kreia actually made me question my beliefs which isnt something that normally occurs in a game. When playing lightside first time I used to dread visits to her because what she said made sense and that frightened my character far more than a horde of dark Jedi ever could.

By being the knight in shining armour I was becoming strong at the expense of others and making them reliant on me rather than self reliant. Which in the long term did them more harm than good.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

When playing lightside first time I used to dread visits to her because what she said made sense and that frightened my character far more than a horde of dark Jedi ever could.

I had the same thing. :cool:

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Oh by the way... is Jedi Academy worth buying?

Could someone tell me how the game works... :devil:

People have already told you how it works, so I'll just give you what I thought of it (I'm a big fan of JK series, even though I suck online, so I just stopped playing MP).

Jedi Academy Single is more like an add-on to Jedi Outcast, and the story means nothing (at least it makes sense and sticks to the point...).

I basically consider it a "Movie Simulator", since, well, I guess that's what the game moves are modelled after.

I've already said my bit K1/K2 earlier, but I'll just add that K2 had good ideas, but in the end it was poor execution. (and yes, I voted on the end result, not what could've been)

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Pure Pazaak website (big thank you to fingolfin)

KOTOR2 was as black, and white as it gets and there were no surprises yet you were forced to travel with kreia despite knwoing she was as evil as she come. You did not have to think in KOTOR at all. Everything was handed to you on a golden platter.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

KOTOR2 was as black, and white as it gets and there were no surprises yet you were forced to travel with kreia despite knwoing she was as evil as she come. You did not have to think in KOTOR at all. Everything was handed to you on a golden platter.

Nice theory , except that you could be more evil than Kreia if you so chose and she would admonish you for it.

478327[/snapback]

Admonish me? Hahha.. That sounds like Saddam Hussein admonishing Hitler for being responsible for murdering more people. ie. It means nothing.

You cna't be more evil than Kreia. She's as evil as they come. Afterall, she is full of hate. She kills, tortures, threatens, mind rapes, mass murders, and helps destroy entire worlds including all women, children, and men as well as animals. I'm sorry, if I don't take her admonishments of anothers' evil seriously.

Whats really wierd is she doesn't to any of that evil stuff for gain...she does it just to prove a point!!

I think Kriea needs to see a Force Shrink.

"My leadership was taken, my power was taken, my dignity was taken, my hand was taken, and my mask was taken!! But don't worry. I will be Sion's master again cause I say so...he won't be mad that I tryed to use you to kill him..nahhh he will be my apprentice again just cause im old and crazy!! *wispers* besides...I know where is real left eye is and he won't get it back till he kills you muhahaha!!"

Yeah thats Kreia in a nutt shell and boy do I mean NUTT shell.

Admonish me? Hahha.. That sounds like Saddam Hussein admonishing Hitler for being responsible for murdering more people. ie. It means nothing.

You cna't be more evil than Kreia. She's as evil as they come. Afterall, she is full of hate. She kills, tortures, threatens, mind rapes, mass murders, and helps destroy entire worlds including all women, children, and men as well as animals. I'm sorry, if I don't take her admonishments of anothers' evil seriously.

Kreia is a constant whichever extreme you take she counterpoints it.

The PC can do all those things too and for much less purpose than Kreia does them for. My DS female was way more evil than Kreia 90% of her kills were slow painful force choke affliction combinations. Now thats a character that enjoyed death.

478327[/snapback]

So did Kreia. Death, and being hurtful towards other sis probably the *only* things that kreia loved. Sorry; but your two bit hooldum has nothing on Kreia's evil. Nothing.

The fact that she'll amdonish the PC for both good and evil acts doens't prove she's neutral it proves she's a souped of Volourn who is purposely being difficult and contrary as well as being a mass murderer. A line even I won't cross.

So did Kreia. Death, and being hurtful towards other sis probably the *only* things that kreia loved. Sorry; but your two bit hooldum has nothing on Kreia's evil. Nothing.

Your way off base...

Turning death into a slow fine art is hardly the mark of a hoodlum. More like a very twisted artist :p

Kreia had a larger purpose , my character didnt. She beats Kreia hands down.

478327[/snapback]

Sorry, 'killing the force' is not a higher purpose. Espiciailly when she uses hypocrisy in her attempt.

Yes it is a higher purpose. Especially if she is correct as the force has killed and will continue to kill more people than she ever could.

She does what it takes to achieve her goal, not like she ever makes a secret of that.

478327[/snapback]

Sorry,

'killing the force'

is not a higher purpose. Espiciailly when she uses hypocrisy in her attempt.

Yes it is a higher purpose. Especially if she is correct

as the force has killed and will continue to kill more people than she ever could.

She does what it takes to achieve her goal, not like she ever makes a secret of that.

You seem to be arguing that because your character is a mindless psychopath, therefore your Exile was a "baddamuddafugga" than Kreia. Or not. Disseminating mindless pain and suffering may prove you are more evil, but using your intelligence to spread it even further -- like if Kreia was lying and the Force

was not malevolent and indeed was either neutral or a force for goodness; or even not powerful enough to alter the future, merely give the odd vision to some of the more talented Force Sensitives,

then she was much, much more evil than the Exile could ever be.

I agree Kreia was certainly singleminded in her determination to

destroy the Force

, and if she sincerely believes what she spouts, then it is indeed arguable whether she is the epitamy of evil that she is being made out to be, or just a freedom fighter.

As for how this relates to the two stories and their relative merits, I would agree the K2 had the potential to be a much better story: more complex characters and deeper issues, like the grey areas between Atris, Atton and Kreia.

Unfortunately this potential was let down by shoddy writing. Yes, one had to read the dialogue more closely in K2; it didn't do any good, however, as under this scrutiny the script displayed no cohesion nor intellectual rigour.

K1 wins by default. Even though the plot was one-dimensional and simple, it was a complete story. K2 was a dog's breakfast.

PS Discussing plots should be done in the SPOILERS forum, and -- at the very least -- plot elements should be hidden with the conveniently supplied SPOILER tags.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

You seem to be arguing that because your character is a mindless psychopath, therefore your Exile was a "baddamuddafugga" than Kreia.

Not in the slightest. That particular Exile simply held the view that everything was there for her amusement nothing to do with being a mindless psychopath, rather that she was infinately better than anyone else around her. She was as far removed from them as you are from an ant. :D

478327[/snapback]