Cinema and Movie Thread: coming at you at 24fps

Raithe

"Viggo, Western? Maybe."
(28 seconds into trailer) "Wait, is this a sappy romance drama of the sort I don't enjoy?"
(30 seconds into trailer) **(fully) Written and Directed by Viggo**

....now I must check it out.  (and it appears to be a sappy love+revenge movie). I still need to watch Falling, too, which was his directing debut (also, co-writer). But it isn't as much in my potential wheelhouse as a Western, plus I watch so minimal TV/flim now, so haven't gotten around to it, even w/Lance Henricksen as a co-star interest pull. Maybe when this comes out for rent I'll do a double-bill.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The Boy Friend (1971) by Ken Russell.

285441.jpg

Ken Russell said he made this film...um, "[...] to prove to people I'm not totally deranged; I love the innocence and charm of musicals", but I came away from this becoming certain that he must be. I think it's one of the most fun films I've ever viewed, but I feel I lost my sanity watching it through. I don't know what I was expecting after having seen Altered States and Crimes of Passion, but I certainly wasn't prepared for whatever that was.

clockwork-orange-27.jpeg

• Confused 1
  • Gasp! 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Me Before You. It's good in that sappy sort of way. If you liked About Time you will like this I think.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Watched LATE NIGHT WITH THE DEVIL

I liked it, but feel like there were a few things that ultimately didn't come together and ultimately I don't think it came together as well as it could have. 

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Mutant (1982) - More commonly known as Forbidden World, this is a Roger Corman Alien ripoff. A mercenary type and his robot sidekick get sent to a research facility on a remote planet. Before they arrive they get into a space battle that's stitched together from likely entirely reused footage, I'm certain I recognized some Battle Beyond the Stars in there. It wouldn't be a Roger Corman movie without recycled footage. Anyway, at the facility genetic scientists are doing genetic scientist stuff and wouldn't you know it things go horribly wrong. It's basically Alien from the moment our merc arrives at the facility. Instead of a xenomorph it's a metamorph, a being that's constantly mutating. It's actually awesomely gross looking when it's in its, shall we say, larval state, once its fully formed it looks like they ordered the xenomorph from Wish.

It's a movie co-written by Jim Wynorski and you know if Jim Wynorski is involved you're getting nudity and ol' Jim does not disappoint, there is a more than ample amount of boobs and butts. There is some really awesome and truly disgusting gore in this movie and some fun deaths. It's a Roger Corman movie, you know what you're getting, a cheap but sufficient movie. I'd say this movie is even a little above sufficient, it's an entertaining sleazy horror movie. Also, what I watched was not the theatrical Forbidden World version. After a test screening when the movie was still called Mutant that had the audience laughing several times, Roger Corman cut roughly 5 minutes of mostly comedic bits out of the movie because he didn't want the movie to be funny at all. Director Allan Holzman hung on to a copy of the original cut and many years later the folks at Shout! Factory released The Holzman Cut . My blu-ray copy has both the theatrical Forbidden World and the director's cut, if you will, Mutant

It's a good Alien ripoff and it you want to see some awesomely gross gore then this movie has got your hook up. Having seen both versions of this movie I do believe Holzman's original Mutant is better. The comedy bits weirdly work with the horror. The movie gets really dark at times but the comedy bits never undercut the tension. I like the Mutant version better, but either one is worth watching if you're into a sleazy and gory but entertaining Alien ripoff.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Sleepwalkers (1992)

It's a 90s horror flick. Not really much else to say, it doesn't do anything particularly noteworthy.

The Devils (1971)

I think this is the film Ken Russell followed up with The Boyfried (1971) that took @Bartimaeus last shred of sanity. So I went into this mostly blind and was expecting something completely unhinged and got something that was all too hinged. It's an incredible film, perhaps one of the best I've seen, but it hits much closer to what The Crucible (1996) wanted to be than the hyper-sex crazed Excorcist I went in expecting. There are some truly striking scenes and transitions filled with top notch acting and dialogue that hits wonderfully.

I'm just at kind of a place where my brain is so broken that "wildest film evar" doesn't really move my weird-o-meter....but I guess that's just me being a big ol weirdo.

Altered States (1980)

I got to say that it very much reminded me of another Ken Russel film, Lair of the White Worm (1988) in terms of composition of the hallucination sequences. Observation aside, movie is god damn incredible. I love when time jumps are handled relatively organically instead of just plastering "5 years later" over the film, Altered States does this several times which helps reinforce the psychedelic atmosphere by playing with the viewers' sense of time. Definitely enjoyed the shift from depicting hallucinations from the perspective of the hallucinator to that of the one viewing them, particularily when the main character started to.....deconstitute???? It's a very weird ride

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I think the thing that really strikes me with The Boy Friend is that there's really no reason for a silly 1920s matinee show quasi-musical to seem deranged whatsoever, especially when the stated goal of the filmmaker was just to make it sweet and innocent, and yet I could feel a nuclear meltdown starting in my brain about a third of the way through as I tried to make sense of the choices that the director was making, and it didn't really ever stop. There was a distinct sensation of fire and smoldering in the top left part of my brain even after the film had finished. I'd definitely appreciate someone else's take on it to determine whether or not maybe I'm just cracked for reasons unrelated to the film - perhaps it was just all the characters staring with the full whites of their eyes straight into the camera for what felt like half the film that did me in.

I should probably watch The Devils sometime, it is rather infamous. Probably a little outside my wheelhouse, but that's exactly how I got into this mess in the first place.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Hmmm 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

6 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

I'd definitely appreciate someone else's take on it to determine whether or not maybe I'm just cracked for reasons unrelated to the film

I'll do it. The one I can get is the director's cut I think, it's about half an hour longer than the US release.

6 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

I should probably watch The Devils sometime, it is rather infamous. Probably a little outside my wheelhouse, but that's exactly how I got into this mess in the first place.

I'd tentatively reccomend it to you, compared to a lot of films today it's not quite as outrageous as when it dropped. Like I said it wasn't what I went in expecting and frankly turned out to be a much better film because of it.

I'd also be curious to see your take on Lair of the White Worm and how it relates to Altered States. They're very different (hallucinogenic fantasy vs horror) but the hallucinations scenes felt like they could be transplanted.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

On 4/3/2024 at 9:41 AM, Howrdwallt said:

Reminds me of the magic of cinema, you know? Speaking of which, caught a movie out now last weekend with friends.

Uh, why was this obvious spam not deleted?

Fun fact: if you Google the username "Howrdwallt" (with quote marks around it for an exact search), you can find a bunch of similarly generic comments around the internet, on threads both new and years old...but their posts all date to yesterday: #1, #2, #3, and so on. It's probably some kind of AI experiment, and I've seen somebody who was posting similar comments get banned on a different forum once moderators realized what was up...uh, admittedly, once I informed them: the point stands, :p. We're entering a brave new world of spam, and our moderator team needs to be prepared for it, :yes:.

Edited by Bartimaeus

42 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Fun fact: if you Google the username "Howrdwallt" (with quote marks around it for an exact search), you can find a bunch of similarly generic comments around the internet, on threads both new and years old...but their posts all date to yesterday: #1, #2, #3, and so on. It's probably some kind of AI experiment, and I've seen somebody who was posting similar comments get banned on a different forum once moderators realized what was up...uh, admittedly, once I informed them: the point stands, :p. We're entering a brave new world of spam, and our moderator team needs to be prepared for it, :yes:.

I remember hearing fantasies if how AI/automation would free us from tedious work and allow creativity/leisure, I see countless panels featuring some soulless tech dip****s giddy at the idea of AI making all the art so we can do tedium even harder, but the truth is that all AI is spam or scam.

• Gasp! 1

57 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Now that you've quoted them, you will be targeted for assimilation. :p 

• Gasp! 1

What post?  I don't see no post?

:shifty:

• Gasp! 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Re: AI - I feel like half the short docs. on YT now are AI-voice generated. Sometimes it's fine, sometimes it's a little creepy, sometimes I can't tell/could be wrong. But point is, it's feeling weirder and weirder wondering if there's an actual human being behind the narrator. I suppose it shouldn't matter simply in terms of whether I like watching a short doc, but just saying. Feels weird. :shifty:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I took the family to see Dune part 2 in the theaters. It was pretty good. We just re-watched part 1 last weekend, so it was fresh in our minds. I preferred part 1, since it is a relatively simple story. Part 2 definitely gets a bit bogged down in the complexities, particularly at the end. But hey, I was raised on the Lynch version and never read the books, so what do I know? :p 

Basically I missed Sting hamming it up at the end. 

I suppose it at least means he doesn't have the opportunity to ruin anything else in the meantime, a la James Cameron and the Avatar series.

Edited by Bartimaeus

Amadeus (1984) Director's Cut

Like the recent Elvis movie, this is a biopic where the main character isn't the subject. Unlike Elvis, instead of a greedy manager in the spotlight we have a seething Salieri who is disgusted that a vulgar creature like Mozart is more talented than him while also being in awe of him. It's also got ye olde costumes that look hilarious now like the powdered wigs. Yuge reccomend.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

Amadeus (1984) Director's Cut

Like the recent Elvis movie, this is a biopic where the main character isn't the subject. Unlike Elvis, instead of a greedy manager in the spotlight we have a seething Salieri who is disgusted that a vulgar creature like Mozart is more talented than him while also being in awe of him. It's also got ye olde costumes that look hilarious now like the powdered wigs. Yuge reccomend.

You forgot the most important reason of all, Austria's greatest contribution to the world, Falco.

LmpwZw

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I didn't watch but came across a movie called "The Man Without a Body". The title made me curious as to how many movies there are that start with "The Man".

Spoiler
The Man Who Finally Died
The Man Without a Body
The Man Who Loves to Hurt Himself
The Man Who Killed Hitler and Then Bigfoot
The Man Who Wasn't There
The Man from Majorca
The Man They Could Not Hang
The Man Who Quit Smoking
The Man Who Loved Haugesund
The Man Who Could Not Laugh
The Man With the Glass Eye
The Man They Called Pirate
The Man Who Played With Fire
The Man Who Is Talked About
The Man on the Wall
The Man on the Ramp
The Man Who Thought Life
The Man Without a Future
The Man With the Missing Finger
The Man of Tomorrow
The Man Who Wanted to Be Guilty
The Man from Swan Farm
The Man Who Would Live Forever
The Man from U.N.C.L.E.
The Man from Earth
The Man from Nowhere
The Man Who Fell to Earth
The Man With the Golden Gun
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
The Man Who Knew Infinity
The Man Who Would Be King
The Man Who Killed Don Quixote
The Man Who Knew Too Little
The Man With the Iron Fists
The Man from Toronto
The Man in the Machine
The Man Who Planted Trees
The Man and His Dream
The Man Without a Past
The Man in the Iron Mask
The Man Who Saved the Game
The Man Who Knew Too Much
The Man With Two Brains
The Man from Snowy River
The Man in the White Suit
The Man Who Invented Christmas
The Man Behind a Legend
The Man Who Laughs
The Man Who Sleeps
The Man on the Train
The Man Who Brought Down the White House
The Man Nobody Knew
The Man from Laramie
The Man in the Moon
The Man With the Iron Heart
The Man With the Golden Arm
The Man Who Painted Totoro's Forest
The Man from Earth
The Man from Acapulco
The Man from the Future
The Man With the X-Ray Eyes
The Man Who Never Was
The Man from Hong Kong
The Man Who Skied Down Everest
The Man Between
The Man With One Red Shoe
The Man Who Stole the Sun
The Man from Planet X
The Man Without a Face
The Man Who Came to Dinner
The Man Who Sold His Skin
The Man from London
The Man Who Cried
The Man Who Haunted Himself
The Man Standing Next
The Man Who Could Cheat Death
The Man Who Copied
The Man in the Silver Saddle
The Man With the Answers
The Man You Loved to Hate
The Man Called Flintstone
The Man Who Had His Hair Cut Short
The Man Who Cheated Himself
The Man Who Left His Will on Film
The Man Who Stole Banksy
The Man I Killed
The Man of the Year
The Man in Grey
The Man Who Lies
The Man With a Thousand Faces
The Man in the Gray Flannel Suit
The Man Who Saved the World
The Man Who Souled the World
The Man Without a Map
The Man Who Waited
The Man from Colorado
The Man Who Sued God
The Man Who Sells the River
The Man With Two Heads
The Man With No Shadow
The Man Who Cheated Life
The Man Who Surprised Everyone
The Man
...the list keeps going for sometime, I got to like a hundred and thought that was enough

I've decided that I won't ever be watching any movies that start with "The Man". To my delight, I looked through my list of watched movies and I haven't already accidentally seen one.

2 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

I've decided that I won't ever be watching any movies that start with "The Man".

You're missing out on The Man Who Fell To Earth (1976). Easily one of the best movies I've seen.

• Gasp! 1

4 hours ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

You're missing out on The Man Who Fell To Earth (1976). Easily one of the best movies I've seen.

Ditto with The Man from Earth (2007). The movie has no right being as good as it is, considering that the whole movie is people sitting in a room.

• Like 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

19 hours ago, Sarex said:

Ditto with The Man from Earth (2007). The movie has no right being as good as it is, considering that the whole movie is people sitting in a room.

Yeah, it's a really good movie full of Trek actors.

Three in a row that I liked. ...from Earth, ...from Nowhere, ...Who Fell to Earth.

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Is there a movie simply called The Man? Let's just distill all those The Man <Something Something> movies into one neat and tidy package.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸