The All Things Political Topic - A conservative is someone who makes no changes and consults his grandmother when in doubt

Keyrock

"Columbia is a far different place today than it was in the spring of 1968 when protesters took over University buildings amid discontent about the Vietnam War, racism and the University’s proposed expansion into Morningside Park. After a weeklong standoff, New York City Police stormed the campus and arrested more than 700 people. The fallout dogged Columbia for years.

It took decades for the University to recover from those turbulent times..." -- Columbia News

Kind of hilarious, now. Plus ça change, plus ça même chose in action I guess.

6 minutes ago, Zoraptor said:

"Columbia is a far different place today than it was in the spring of 1968 when protesters took over University buildings amid discontent about the Vietnam War, racism and the University’s proposed expansion into Morningside Park. After a weeklong standoff, New York City Police stormed the campus and arrested more than 700 people. The fallout dogged Columbia for years.

It took decades for the University to recover from those turbulent times..." -- Columbia News

Somewhat tangential, but wasn't the Kent State shooting one of the first mass shootings at a US educational institution?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

But these protests are not the same as anti-Apartheid, anti-Vietnam war or even many modern day protests like fracking on Native American land. These campus protests dont have  achievable or realistic goals

And then another difference is these  other legitimate  protests weren't in flagrant disregard of the Universities own recently created rules where all students have rights to " safe spaces " and an environment where they arent harassed or intimated. And many Jewish students are definitely feeling intimidated  

So most of these  campus  protests have ended up being both illegal  and or violent  like the taking over  of the Columbia building 

And this is why the police are acting and they being asked by the Universities to intervene 

But the main point is the protestors demands are completely unrealistic and Columbia has spent days trying to negotiate 

Interestingly  enough it appears many  of the people arrested now at Columbia arent students so this is another example of a protest being hijacked by external groups with there own agendas to spread chaos and anarchy 

Edited by BruceVC
  • Confused 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, Gorth said:

Somewhat tangential, but wasn't the Kent State shooting one of the first mass shootings at a US educational institution?

Technically correct, I guess.

The juxtaposition of British Bobbies managing not to shoot some guy waving a sword about while having a psychotic episode vs The New York Basij Department turning up in Full Tactical for a fight with a group of peacenik hippies could not be stronger.

(well, maybe the bobbies wouldn't have been so lenient if the sword wielder had been an unarmed Brazilian electrician. After all, the commander of that Op- Cressida ****, with wholly appropriate damnatio memoriae via the naughty word filter- actually got promoted a year later)

3 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

But these protests are not the same as anti-Apartheid, anti-Vietnam war..

lol.

Interestingly  enough it appears many  of the people arrested now at Columbia arent students..

Citation Needed. And actual citation showing they weren't students, not some mealymouthed CNN article repeating what the University head had to say.

The student paper's livestream seemed to recognise an awful lot of the 'paid agitators' as fellow students.

2 minutes ago, Zoraptor said:

Technically correct, I guess.

The juxtaposition of British Bobbies managing not to shoot some guy waving a sword about while having a psychotic episode vs The New York Basij Department turning up in Full Tactical for a fight with a group of peacenik hippies could not be stronger.

(well, maybe the bobbies wouldn't have been so lenient if the sword wielder had been an unarmed Brazilian electrician. After all, the commander of that Op- Cressida ****, with wholly appropriate damnatio memoriae via the naughty word filter- actually got promoted a year later)

lol.

Citation Needed. And actual citation showing they weren't students, not some mealymouthed CNN article repeating what the University head had to say.

The student paper's livestream seemed to recognise an awful lot of the 'paid agitators' as fellow students.

The protests arent the same for the reasons I mentioned, the primary goal of " divest " from Israel cant be realistically implemented 

Apartheid sanctions were about companies leaving South Africa and then  any company that still traded with South Africa you publicly  vilify them and dont use there products, so you protest with your wallet which is effective . Obviously the Universities and the students themselves are not going to stop  using the products of Microsoft, Google, FB or Twitter because all these companies trade with Israel or have an Israeli footprint. And this is just IT companies. So the entire " divest " from Israel is completely unrealistic if you serious about what BDS says they believe and thats where the students got the demand from. Its based on BDS Apartheid  sanction activism 

https://bdsmovement.net/what-is-bds

But we will see if  all the protesters are all from the University, I doubt they are but lets wait  now that hundreds of people have been arrested 

• Confused 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

These poor disenfranchised Ivy League students need a baton-induced reminder who really holds all the power and privilige in the Land of the Not-So-Free-After-All.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

If those students were not put down, there'd be a mushroom cloud over NYC before we knew it.

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

47 minutes ago, Malcador said:

If those students were not put down, there'd be a mushroom cloud over NYC before we knew it.

https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news/columbia-university-pro-palestinian-protests-occupy-hamilton-hall/

Malc  lets  not be too cynical, here  are  some very convincing and reasonable words from  Eric  Adams about why the police  needed  to be deployed in NY. And as  we know he is not some right-wing, neo-nazi,  police  fascist  so his opinion should be credible and believable 

@Zoraptor its  further evidence of outside influence in the  protests

"I have been saying for days, if not weeks now, that what should have been a peaceful protest, it has basically been coopted by professional, outside agitators," Adams said Tuesday. "We were well aware based on a series of observations that what should've been a peaceful protest that's part of a constitutional rights of Americans has clearly been coopted. A right that this administration supports and defends to support your concern." 

Adams urged everyone violating Columbia's policies to "leave the area, and leave the area now. And if you're a parent of a student, please call your child and urge them to leave the area before the situation escalates in any way. This is for their own safety, and the safety of others." 

"We are seeing professional, external actors getting involved in these protests, including in the occupation of a university building," Police Commissioner Edward Caban said. "These people are not Columbia students. They are not affiliated with the university and they are working to escalate the situation. We are seeing their tactics changing in a way that's endangering public safety. These once peaceful protests are being exploited by professional outside agitators and the safety of all students, faculty and staff are now a concern." 

John Milton 

10 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news/columbia-university-pro-palestinian-protests-occupy-hamilton-hall/

Malc  lets  not be too cynical, here  are  some very convincing and reasonable words from  Eric  Adams about why the police  needed  to be deployed in NY. And as  we know he is not some right-wing, neo-nazi,  police  fascist  so his opinion should be credible and believable 

He's an ex-cop, you know.  And yes, I heard those vague statements, undoubtedly all Soros funded Leftist Commandos.

Heh.

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Lexx said:

https://twitter.com/JoshuaPHilll/status/1785480782875955437

lol. You'd think they are fighting some huge paramilitary force and not some stupid school students. This **** is hilarious.

Lexx   some of those protesting students have water bottles and flags ....those  can become deadly weapons :grin:

But on a serious note, if you watch some of the police  arresting people it can take 2-3  cops to restrain and arrest one protestor.  Sometimes  protestors  have to be  carried out  so you  do need  a fairly large and effective police contingent  if you have to arrest dozens or hundreds of people   and remember  this was  after the protestors   had hijacked the building and barricaded  the entrance so the police  didnt know what to expect 

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

It's wild how so many politicians, pundits, police, officials, and other overpaid dip****s think that this is going to be the time that sending in the police to terrorize students is being on the right side of history. This is at least the fifth time as farce right?

Here in Texas Abbot's personal army, the DPS, has been behind a lot of violence towards the campus at UT Austin. This is the same agency that played on their phones while children got gunned down in Uvalde by the way. Kinda hard to believe some college students camping is a bigger threat than a guy shooting kids, but I guess I don't have the galaxy brain for politics.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

29 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Do  you remember you and I have spoken about  this for  years and how drones could be used to subdue violent and chaotic protests and now they getting adopted to exactly that  purpose 

This is a  good first step,  drones are  incredibly versatile  🤖

John Milton 

Yep, I remember. Some might even say we're visionaries. With bullet point advantages like this its stupid NOT to use them:

Impede violent offenders by precisely dispensing deterrent smoke (OC, CS, or colored) or aerosol spray(OC, CS, inert, or marking)

Engage and deter crime scene suspects from a safe distance (up to 600 yards away) while better protecting innocent civilians and officers
Prevent injuries by eliminating canister impact wounds and burns
Eliminate canister throwback by offenders
Decrease liability by using safer enforcement methods and avoiding potentially deadly use of force

Everyone wins. :yes:

• Like 1

Is it illegal to have EW equipment as a regular civilian?

I dont think so because its not transmitting. I knew a guy who knew a guy that used to have a cell phone jammer in his car and would use it whenever he was driving because distracted drivers are a real nuisance around here. Im not sure of the transmitting distance but it worked like a champ on the cars in his immediate vicinity. Ive always wanted one of those gizmos that turns the traffic signals green whenever an emergency vehicle is coming, but those bastages in the FCC say civilians cant have those either. ;( 

• Like 2

If you need high tech drones with gas dispensers to curb your violent citizens, I'd say your government has already failed. This stuff is dystopic as hell.

• Like 2
  • Gasp! 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

5 hours ago, Elerond said:

At least they didn't send national guard to shoot the protesting students. So there has been some progress in last 54 years.

Give it time. Kent State was 1970, and protests for Vietnam started much earlier than that. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lexx said:

If you need high tech drones with gas dispensers to curb your violent citizens, I'd say your government has already failed. This stuff is dystopic as hell.

Freedom and human rights  also have civilian responsibilities, the right to protest is enshrined in all Constitutional Democracies but thats the right for peaceful and legal protests

Using drones is only a measure to be used when there is illegal and violent protests. It wont be necessary in any peaceful protest which  is what most  protests in the US are 

John Milton