BG3 - Butt kicking for goodness!

Hawke64

I hear you both on the Baldur's Gate III awards. I get where MrBrown's coming from with the voice acting; some parts were a bit over the top, even in the game. But like Bartimaeus says, awards often go to games that capture the zeitgeist, even if they're not everyone's cup of tea. For me, it was the world-building and the character interactions that really clicked. What aspects of the game resonated most with you guys?

1 hour ago, bjhbgjh said:

What aspects of the game resonated most with you guys?

Personally, the dice failures. For a long time I'll fondly remember trying to scare the owlbear, failing miserably, and then getting attacked. There's a level of storytelling in that which hasn't been there in the last few rpgs I've played and it made me much more likely to just roll with failing instead of reloading.

Other than that....I really liked the vibe of the shadow cursed lands as close to a complete 180 compared to the previous area. Maybe that's because there isn't a day/night cycle in BG3 (my biggest problem with the game) and being in an eerie darkness was a nice change of pace from the normal nature areas of the grove. The music is in general on the top end of videogame music but that undead infested wasteland was just on point.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

4 hours ago, bjhbgjh said:

That BG3 just didn't resonate with me is a good way to put it. I didn't find characters endearing or interesting, I didn't find games premise to be well explored, I can't think of many choices that I particularly found difficult or interesting to make. Combat was a bit to messy for me to really engage with. A lot of systemic interactivity, but nothing that resulted in interesting problem solving. And just overall the "vibe" (visuals, music, character design) of the game didn't work for me. 

It's a very broad title, with many things to like and appreciate, but it felt like all promise and little payoff.

Edited by Wormerine
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Gasp! 1

5 hours ago, Wormerine said:

That BG3 just didn't resonate with me is a good way to put it. I didn't find characters endearing or interesting, I didn't find games premise to be well explored, I can't think of many choices that I particularly found difficult or interesting to make. Combat was a bit to messy for me to really engage with. A lot of systemic interactivity, but nothing that resulted in interesting problem solving. And just overall the "vibe" (visuals, music, character design) of the game didn't work for me. 

It's a very broad title, with many things to like and appreciate, but it felt like all promise and little payoff.

Wormie you cant be serious, you joking right?  What about the bear sex scene, that was unique and interesting?

:aiee:

• Haha 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, bjhbgjh said:

Unironically, being able to jump and to skip the monologues from the corpses-to-become. Granted, the final boss monologued anyway, but significantly less than usual. And the "inspirational" speech could be skipped by attacking that Flaming Fist. Discovered it only on the last playthrough, but it was satisfying, nonetheless.

14 hours ago, Wormerine said:

I would add that the social systems were either partially implemented or broken, e.g. when a Harper guard tries to arrest you for stealing from the Moonrise Towers or a 1XP citizen attempts to prevent you from looting a freshly-killed Steel Watcher. I don't think that the non-combat spells could be used for anything except making the skill checks slightly easier (e.g. Guidance or Friends). Though, I once got a unique dialogue after casting the Ray of Frost cantrip on a companion.

Edit to avoid double-posting. Not exactly specific to the game, but I find the auto-upload feature to be rather intrusive and undesirable. Then again, I do not have an Xbox.
https://www.pcgamer.com/larian-and-microsoft-working-to-address-annoying-and-uncool-xbox-account-bans-caused-by-the-unfortunate-combination-of-baldurs-gate-3s-notorious-horniness-and-automatic-gameplay-uploads/

some Xbox Series X-S owners who have found their accounts suspended after their consoles automatically uploaded gameplay clips of, as one redditor put it, "naked camp fun time."

Edited by Hawke64
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, ShadySands said:

I didn't enjoy it but I really, really wanted to. Funny how that works. 

This is *exactly* how I feel as well, and @Wormerine can vouch that I said this very thing on the Larian forums over and over again when I kept coming under attack for criticizing the game. I really and truly *wanted* to belong to the BG3 fan community. But the game just isn't good for me in far too many ways.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

Danny Devito could single handedly defeat the Netherbrain.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I really fell in love with Shadowheart's story and had a screaming good time moment with it - really made my week.  I think its amazing that they gave you these pre-generated characters to play, and did so well with them, but also gave you the option to create your own.   The lore crafting was excellent for each character.

I got to say they killed it in a good way with this, and happy that everyone on this forum is buttkicking hurt it did so well lol :) No love lost I am sure.  Anyway, this game really took it to the next level and deserves all the hype.  It still amazes me that I never liked BG2 because of how much it stepped away from the classic Ultima games, but as BG3 goes back closer to the Ultima experience and away from the Infinity engine games, I understand why I am liking it so much.

“How do you 'accidentally' kill a nobleman in his own mansion?"

"With a knife in the chest. Or, rather, a pair of knives in the chest...”

The Final Empire, Mistborn Trilogy

I started playing Solasta and it's given me a proper and good UI/UX for D&D5e. BG3 was a tiresome mess in comparison. Having to rearrange all those icons for every character...

• Like 1