Music: Sharing and Listening - Where words fail, music speaks

ShadySands

Once upon a time, there was a great UK psychedelic blues rock band that moved to the US and replaced some of their staff with the locals. I remember Fleetwood Mac from the 70's and early 80's as just awesome rock music. For me, Tango in the Night was the beginning of the end. Mostly pop music. But before that...

(deja vu warning, I may have posted one or two of those in years past)

For me, approx 4:30 to 6:30 is just Stevie Nicks being one heck of a front "man" of a rock band. You can feel that she "feels it" 😁

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

2 hours ago, Gorth said:

Once upon a time, there was a great UK psychedelic blues rock band that moved to the US and replaced some of their staff with the locals. I remember Fleetwood Mac from the 70's and early 80's as just awesome rock music. For me, Tango in the Night was the beginning of the end. Mostly pop music. But before that...

(deja vu warning, I may have posted one or two of those in years past)

For me, approx 4:30 to 6:30 is just Stevie Nicks being one heck of a front "man" of a rock band. You can feel that she "feels it" 😁

I'm a huge, huge, huge Fleetwood Mac and Stevie Nicks fan. Was a fan of their music even when I was a kid back in Asia in the '70s. I think I even posted something here when Christine McVie died.

Sometimes, with songs like Go Your Own Way, Say You Love Me, Second Hand News, Seven Wonders, etc., I put them on repeat on my old CD player and just listen again and again. Takes me back to when my life was simple and carefree.

Edited by kanisatha
  • Like 2

My parents are huge fans of Fleetwood Mac, and I don't doubt I've heard all of their songs atleast a hundred times.

• Like 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Just a small tribute to the late Meat Load

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Pretentious cheese.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

22 minutes ago, bugarup said:

...well I don't know what I expected when I clicked on that link above. 😬 Must've been momentarily

Ah, damn, now I want to play Kingpin :(

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

A big name when I was a teenager in the early 80's... didn't include the obvious I love rock'n'roll because it's usually the only thing most people associate with Joan Jett (and she and her band did release quite a few albums)

• Like 1

Wait, he's part of the Ringo Starr and His All-Starr Band, in the past and now?
Colin Hay still has that voice. The man playing the bass/back vocals was cheery-infectious to watch. Had to look him up, had no idea who he was. I still have no idea who he is, but his name is apparently Hamish Stuart.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The 80's will for me always be a "golden age" when it comes to music... (I do love a lot of 60's and 70's band/artists too though)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Gorth said:

The 80's will for me always be a "golden age" when it comes to music... (I do love a lot of 60's and 70's band/artists too though)

I'm similar.
To be fair, despite having a very musical parent who kept trying to get me to play instruments, I was never a huge music/bands is life sort. Outside of the brief age 13-16 stage. Parents got me into their generation stuff. Brother got me into the Beatles. Hubby got me into the 60's/70's rock.
I think my interest in general popular hits or even searching for new music waned in direct proportion with how much my PC gaming interest peaked. eg, the mid1990's. 😛  Also, I stopped listening to radio because I stopped driving a zillion miles every year, so exposure dropped to almost zero. Hubby and I rarely listen to any music and I only listen to it while gaming or a nostalgia wave hits.

...these day's I mostly only know of music or big popular hits thru films/TV, games, or occasionally a random YouTube recommend or something. And even more rarely, a specific search because I suddenly get a hankering to hear some choir/orchestra or monks chanting or drum solos or ....

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Posted (edited)

Also:

My parents/family had me liking this version:

But the 80's had me also liking this version.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Gorth said:

Yup, exactly the same for me. I was high school class of '86 and college class of '89, so the '80s was the decade when I was young and into music. Got exposed to a lot of '70s and '60s music as well because I always had the radio on while doing my homework or building my model airplanes which was my afternoons after school. I literally don't know any music after about 2000.

Edit: Gotta' love that '80s hairdo on Stevie. ;)

Edited by kanisatha
  • Like 1

I'm technically, what, youth of nineties, but I'm somehow not nostalgic for majority of its music, as for eighties, methinks its music is only slightly less goofy than its fashion. :p Seventies and sixties are my decades through and through. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bugarup said:

I'm technically, what, youth of nineties, but I'm somehow not nostalgic for majority of its music, as for eighties, methinks its music is only slightly less goofy than its fashion. :p Seventies and sixties are my decades through and through. 

Moody Blues is one of my favs too, and I especially have a soft spot for them because it was to 'In Your Wildest Dreams' that I got to dance with an American girl for the first time, at a college party a couple of weeks after I arrived in the US. 😀

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

I sat down yesterday and started to think... (I know, better late than never, right?). How many bands and records I listened a LOT to in the 80's but haven't really played much the last 20 years. It's a staggering long list, so I try to stick to a self imposed limitation of 3 videos per post (as said, self imposed to keep my spamming urges in check)

Ozzy... bought most his early albums on CD in the 90's. Both the Zach Wylde era and the Jake Lee era albums

Oldie but goodie, bought this on vinyl in the 80's, then on CD in the 90's

W.A.S.P. I have most of their early records on CD. Bought them in the 90's. I should dust them off and put in the player again

Warning, video title contains profanity, hence the spoiler

• Like 1

On 7/8/2024 at 1:17 PM, bugarup said:

I'm technically, what, youth of nineties, but I'm somehow not nostalgic for majority of its music

Liar, I know for a fact that you celebrated every Scooter video I ever linked to. :p

On that note, not Scooter, but something that only could have come from the 90ies:

Edited by majestic
  • Confused 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

10 hours ago, majestic said:

On that note, not Scooter, but something that only could have come from the 90ies:

God is real, but He hates us.

• Haha 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I guess I'm on a "are they still alive/how they doing" kick. Happily the answer here is yes (he's 68 now). I think I might actually like this live, slightly (I think, could be wrong) lower pitched version more than the original English/MTV version. Or maybe I just like a live version better.

But what I've always wanted to know - is Major Tom dead? Does coming home = crashing/burning up in the atmosphere? That's what I always thought but ... shrug. :)

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

But what I've always wanted to know - is Major Tom dead? Does coming home = crashing/burning up in the atmosphere? That's what I always thought but ... shrug. :)

The German original is a retelling of David Bowie's Space Oddity, down to having the same Major Tom. With the reference to a guiding light the entire song can be seen as a metaphor for death (i.e. letting go). Major Tom is pretty dead, I would argue, or at the very least he is dying. Literally (it is all but explicitly stated in the text) and allegorically (journey into the unknown with no apparenty return while still "coming home").

• Thanks 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.