Anime and Manga - How do you Live? Edition

Bartimaeus

14 hours ago, Lexx said:

So I don't know why, but I watched this My Happy Marriage on Netflix. The tl;dr is ... jeez, what a load of conservative garbage. At first it started fine, but then they steadily slipped into that "I want to be a good housewife and love my husband"-stuff and it just lost me. Feels weird seeing people drool over that anime.

the entire acg culture have that problem

the conservative side are so overwhelming they couldn't even see anything else

it was the main reason pull away from acg in the last 6 years

at least it is not some harem garbage

yuri side of acg are the least problematic despite the audience it carter to

so maybe give houbunsha anime a try

Edited by uuuhhii
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, I'm not watching all that much anime, but it does get more and more noticeable for me.

Funny, I just remembered Horimiya. Liked that anime so much, I even bought the mangas to get more of it 😄 However, you don't really have to dig deep to find the conservative garbage in it. In hindsight, it even feels like propaganda to me. The main characters are very modern on the outside, but in private they actually want conservative values. Hell, the female protagonist even has a fetish about getting manhandled by the male protagonist.

Makes me wonder how much this stuff affects the youth.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Well, in Japanese, the honorific term for someone else's wife literally means inside (the house), coming from a term that originally used to express that something is out of sight and inside (a house, or some other enclosure). :shrugz:

Edit: It is the polite way to talk about someone else's wife, because indirect address is polite in Japanese, so basically many of the polite words - or words that used to be polite but no longer aren't - indicate the direction of someone, up to a point where the respectful word for person is "direction" with an addad modifier. Example: 日本人 (nihonjin) means Japanese (person), while the respectful variant used to talk about or adress people of higher social standing is 日本の方 (nihonnokata), meaning "from the direction of Japan".

So, well, in a way it makes sense to talk about someone's wife by adding the location of where she is supposed to be if you want to be polite. Which is where women belong, after all. Back home in the house. :p

Edited by majestic
  • Haha 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Had nothing better to do, so checked out Lookism. The premise sounded stupid, but turns out the show is pretty good. Watched all 8 episodes in one go and want more now. No season 2 in sight yet, though. :(

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Kagurabachi chapter 1, from the author of Hunters Guild: Red Hood (that guy who did a meta ending of his manga getting the axe). Strong first chapter, but then again so was Red Hood.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

The second season of Mushoku Tensei is not as good as I hoped, but still pretty good. I'm pleasantly surprised they gathered almost all of the pervert characters in the same place but didn't show much of their behavior.

Anyway, next season is looking good, with the return of Spy x Family, Goblin Slayer and another Attack on Titan movie. I'll probably pass on Shield Hero, considering how bad the previous season was.

sign.jpg

6 hours ago, InsaneCommander said:

I'm pleasantly surprised they gathered almost all of the pervert characters in the same place

A furnace? A gas chamber, perhaps?

• Haha 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

14 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

A furnace? A gas chamber, perhaps?

Not sure why they are necessary. A guy who is attracted to statues? A nymphomaniac elf (clearly an old woman, at least in age) in a magic school with underage boys? At least this time the protagonist wasn't guilty of stealing a girl's underwear, despite actually ending up with one in his hands.

• Thanks 1

sign.jpg

tried to watch a few episode of some recent season of yuki yuna wa yusha

really couldn't get into it despite liking a lot other post modoka magical girl anime

there are also much less magical girl light novel in recent year

hard to hope light novel industry improve in anyway

The local film club recently featured Satoshi Kon's Paprika (2006). Loved or at least liked everything else Satoshi Kon did, but Paprika did not click for me at all. Will a second watch change my mind any?

bLUUr474Go1DfeN1HLjE3rnZXBq.jpg

Um...kind of! It's a visual treat, especially impressive for a 2006 film...well, minus the little random cost-saving 3D CGI bits here and there, but I still struggled to really fully 'get' it, though I did feel like I at least enjoyed it more this time around. I can't fault Satoshi Kon for making exactly one thing I can't quite seem to fully into, try as I might. Regardless, it's an awful shame that Dreaming Machine (and everything else he might've made if his life hadn't been cut so horrifically short) was never completed. RIP to that brilliant weirdo: it's utterly tragic that the man died at 46, long before many of the best creators would ever complete their finest works.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Hmmm 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

New Castlevania has dropped. Watched 5 episodes so far. Not bad, but at the same time it doesn't give me the same feelings as the first show had. Also I'm probably really bummed that it's only 8 episodes again and soon I'll have to wait another year or something until season 2 is out. Man, I hate waiting.

Castlevania: Nocturne 

I'm confounded about how the hell this got approved by Netflix, and I say that utterly as a positive. The show presents the French and Haitian revolutions as good things with the nobility and the Catholic church low-key supporting vampires before and now supporting evil vampire God Queen building an eternal empire where vampires lord over the world in the name of stopping the masses. Not only is it a weird serendipity/synchronicity with El Conde, which also had a vampire turn into an unlife long counter-revolutionary in the wake of the French revolution, but it practically endorses beheading the aristocracy.

Anyways some of the animation is rough and it is definitely sequel bait, but overall I enjoyed it. I think if you liked the first series you'll like this.....and @Bartimaeus would probably appreciate that the closest thing to a bard in the party gets killed off pretty quickly.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

13 minutes ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

I think if you liked the first series you'll like this

I didn't, but I do appreciate a good Bard slaying.

4 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

I didn't, but I do appreciate a good Bard slaying.

I know, so much so that anytime a Bard or adjacent thing gets killed in something I watch or play I'm going to let you know. Speaking of which, my murderetwink Bard died a lot in the last fight of BG3.

• Thanks 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

1 hour ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

Anyways some of the animation is rough

Yeah, noticed that too. Some scenes have surprisingly few frames. It's like "hey, the first thing was very popular, let's make a new thing! ... But with half the money, ok?!"