Anime and Manga - How do you Live? Edition

Bartimaeus

Watching spy x family, it's consistently hilarious so far 😄

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Don't think I'd ever even heard of the Venture Bros. before today, and now I've come across it twice in different places. Odd.

Edit: I decided to watch two episodes, worst show I've ever seen, but probably not worse than all the ones I haven't.

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Spy x Family 28

A Yuri episode. The other characters barely appear, unless you count the short scenes in the end. We learn why telepaths don't go to public swimming pools.

Spy-x-Family-Season-2-03-31.jpg

Spoiler

Anya finally met Yuri and, apparently, he never thought anything bad that she could hear.

She also heard people thinking while they peed in the pool and got traumatised.

• Gasp! 1

sign.jpg

On 10/16/2023 at 11:11 PM, Bartimaeus said:

Don't think I'd ever even heard of the Venture Bros. before today, and now I've come across it twice in different places. Odd.

Edit: I decided to watch two episodes, worst show I've ever seen, but probably not worse than all the ones I haven't.

tumblr_llrzlrdETb1qbiabyo1_1280.png

28 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

Spy x Family 28

A Yuri episode. The other characters barely appear, unless you count the short scenes in the end. We learn why telepaths don't go to public swimming pools.

Spy-x-Family-Season-2-03-31.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

Anya finally met Yuri and, apparently, he never thought anything bad that she could hear.

She also heard people thinking while they peed in the pool and got traumatised.

I forgot this was back.....again. Didn't they make a movie or something?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I started watching this...

https://myanimelist.net/anime/54362/Hametsu_no_Oukoku

It looked moderately interesting after the first 10 minutes, so I kept watching. 3 Episodes so far. No idea if I'll keep watching it, but kept me entertained enough until now.

Edit: Youtube trailer... i.e. sans the blood, gore and over the top brutality

Edit2: Reminded me a bit of Elfenlied for some reason. A revenge story, the young man's teacher got killed and in return he's going to destroy the world and wipe out humanity. After all, if somethings worth doing, it's worth doing properly ☺️

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Spy X Family s2 episodes 1-3: Return of the Anya face. It's ok, but forgettable. I probably wouldn't keep up with the show of this was the introduction.

1 hour ago, InsaneCommander said:

No movie. And you aren't really missing much. These first episodes are not the best.

I watched them last night. Looks like the movie drops later this year.

• Thanks 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

On 10/24/2023 at 11:21 AM, Gorth said:

I started watching this...

https://myanimelist.net/anime/54362/Hametsu_no_Oukoku

It looked moderately interesting after the first 10 minutes, so I kept watching. 3 Episodes so far. No idea if I'll keep watching it, but kept me entertained enough until now.

Edit: Youtube trailer... i.e. sans the blood, gore and over the top brutality

Edit2: Reminded me a bit of Elfenlied for some reason. A revenge story, the young man's teacher got killed and in return he's going to destroy the world and wipe out humanity. After all, if somethings worth doing, it's worth doing properly ☺️

manga have good visual

mediocre writing at most

manga have pretty low bar for writing these years

16 minutes ago, uuuhhii said:

manga have pretty low bar for writing these years

Nah, there are quite a few bangers that have come out. Maybe there is more manga in general so there are more bad manga.

• Like 2

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Spy x Family 29

02e6d2dd67e56b7b44b9631309b2e482c83bc771

Another "bad" episode, divided into two parts. In the first one, Anya and her friends play cards to decide who gets a special dessert.

Spoiler

Her telepathy helps so much that Damian actually suspects she can read minds, forcing her to play again and risk losing.

dee6f5052f48f637b4c816513d995a8861fe8421

The second part is about Yor helping Franky find a cat. 😴

At least we got something interesting in Anya's and Damian's relationship.

Also: @Bartimaeus's prophecy about shocked faces is fulfilled and they reach an entirely new level, with Anya going full super sayajin. Seriously, I'm not even exaggerating, all that was left was for her hair to turn blond:

Spoiler

Spy-x-Family-Season-2-04-24.jpg

80c983ca1db384998ea78125ca5ccea7eb687cc9

• Gasp! 1

sign.jpg

On 10/29/2023 at 7:38 PM, Sarex said:

The new season of Goblin Slayer had such a drop in quality. Strange considering the popularity of the show.

Well, we have Frieren. It just keeps getting better. The last episodes were pretty good in animation, story and character development.

@Gorth have you watched the new episodes (OVA movie?) of Tensei Slime? I wonder if they are good or just filling.

sign.jpg

14 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

Well, we have Frieren. It just keeps getting better. The last episodes were pretty good in animation, story and character development.

Knock on wood, the manga is still awesome. Although at this point it's bi-weekly chapters with all the breaks the mangaka is taking. Was hoping once the anime was out it would go back to regular, but it doesn't seem like it will.

The Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Adventures of Unico (1981).

hGPjbZq.jpg

I had to check and make sure that Isao Takahata didn't have a writing credit for this, for multiple reasons. One reason is that it's a really quite good, very cute, and rather lovely children's movie, and the second reason is... I'm all for traumatizing children, but even I have my limits. Premise of the film is that Unico is a magical unicorn whose ability to inspire peace and friendship the gods (who it must be said appear rather Greek in both appearance and disposition) grow so envious of, they first exile and then hunt him wherever he goes. The film is animated by my guys at Madhouse, though I surprisingly did not know that before I watched it.

Spoiler

Like literally half the movie is setting up this adorable friendship and romance-ish between Unico and Chao, the cat pictured next to Unico above who is great but initially quite capricious and has a single-minded and selfish ambition of becoming a witch, and who the second half of the film is primarily focused on. After some tumult between them and some character growth, Chao then gets tricked, bewitched, boozed up, and then finally straight up drugged...

6sbsfd5.gif

...(no, really) by the suddenly appearing baddie of the film. Unico goes and tries to rescue her, literally gets killed in the process, gets resurrected thanks to some nice setup and payoff (well, as far as magic friendship/love-fuelled resurrections go anyways), defeats the baddie, and then gets forever ripped away from Chao thanks to the machinations of the gods, the two of them to never be together ever again...the end, the credits literally start to roll on Unico's desolate face as the image starts to go all staticy for some reason. Man, that's what I call a rough night. I go look up comments about the movie, and they're largely "great film, but why that ending?". There's a 1983 sequel also released on blu-ray that I'll check out as well, but I've looked at the poster and I don't see Chao on it, so I'm assuming they got completely hosed.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Sad 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

8 hours ago, InsaneCommander said:

@Gorth have you watched the new episodes (OVA movie?) of Tensei Slime? I wonder if they are good or just filling.

I saw there was 3 new episodes out, but it looked more like the start of a third season? Haven't watched them yet :(

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Tokyo Ghoul s1

It's pretty good, sort of straddles the line between a shonen and a sienen. It's much better when it hews close to the latter and almost gets into Evangelion territory with the final episode, but it doesn't feel as embarrassing to watch as something like Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood's silly aspects.

• Gasp! 1

40 minutes ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

Tokyo Ghoul s1

Do you mean Tokyo Ghoul?

Or Tokyo Ghoul:re?

Or Tokyo Ghoul: Jack?

Or Tokyo Ghoul: Pinto?

Or Tokyo Ghoul √A?

Just want to make sure I have the right Tokyo Ghoul anime before I go off and have a meltdown. All kidding aside, does anyone know why anime characters sometimes have specifically this kind of eye patch?

dNeZUci.jpg

I am certain that I have seen at least a couple of other random anime characters that I wouldn't be able to name because I have no idea what they're from that have this particular eye patch, and I'm wondering if it's a medical eye patch specific to Japan, or if it really is just some kind of anime thing, because when I try to do cursory searches, I don't seem to see anything quite like it. It looks like a (presumably) poopy diaper with a local but very direct application to your eyeball, and I would have to think that I would much prefer to get just ye olde pirate eye patch instead.

Edited by Bartimaeus

36 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Do you mean Tokyo Ghoul?

Or Tokyo Ghoul:re?

Or Tokyo Ghoul: Jack?

Or Tokyo Ghoul: Pinto?

Or Tokyo Ghoul √A?

Just want to make sure I have the right Tokyo Ghoul anime before I go off and have a meltdown.

So for the main story it's Tokyo Ghoul, with √A being s2 and re being s3-4. Jack is a prequel and pinto is a one-shot.

36 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

All kidding aside, does anyone know why anime characters sometimes have specifically this kind of eye patch?

I don't know, I've never seen any explanation within any anime or about anime from creators or community. It does look weird and within anime I think the black or decorated eye patches look better than the eye mask/diaper.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

Tokyo Ghoul s1

It's pretty good, sort of straddles the line between a shonen and a sienen. It's much better when it hews close to the latter and almost gets into Evangelion territory with the final episode, but it doesn't feel as embarrassing to watch as something like Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood's silly aspects.

I did follow the manga along and it was fairly popular, but the art was a deal breaker for me. The story was convoluted and on top of that the manga had an art style bordering on the abstract. All of that contributed to you having to study every chapter like a nuclear physics book...

It's very much seinen.

4 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

All kidding aside, does anyone know why anime characters sometimes have specifically this kind of eye patch?

To hide their weeb eye.

Edited by Sarex

Those are Medical Eye Patches as far as I know.  Yoshihiko Noda made a stir appearing with one covering a black eye in January 2012 when he was PM.  I've seen reference to them being prescribed for a variety of things, from detached retinas to styes.

• Like 3

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Frieren episode 9 was a treat, really impressed with how they did the battle and it's going to get so much better plot wise.

Also surprised to see they are doing 28 episodes. Means they will pretty much catch up to the manga.

• Like 2

Watched s2ep1 of the new Invincible. Multiverse stuff again 🥲 I'm so tired of it. Multiverse is boring and predictable and just feels like lazy writing to me now.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."