Random video game news... the critical eyes have it

12 hours ago, Lexx said:

Worst part is, I'm completely turned off by space ships with big front windows now. The Expanse made me fall in love with submarine-style space ships and everything else just feels so science fantasy to me now.

You wot mate
 logh-my-conquest-is-the-sea-of-stars-bri

• Gasp! 1

6 hours ago, melkathi said:

I wonder if modders will be able to add planets.

Also, are those 1000 planets procedurally generated or where they generated then populated by hand with stuff?

Daggerfall IN SPAAAAAAACE.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

7 hours ago, melkathi said:

I wonder if modders will be able to add planets.

Also, are those 1000 planets procedurally generated or where they generated then populated by hand with stuff?

https://www.gamingbible.com/news/starfield-map-could-be-biggest-thing-ever-seen-863802-20230612

I wonder? Here is some further information about the map and planet exploration 

The planets will be procedurally generated and then there will be specific activities and encounters

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

8 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

https://www.gamingbible.com/news/starfield-map-could-be-biggest-thing-ever-seen-863802-20230612

I wonder? Here is some further information about the map and planet exploration 

The planets will be procedurally generated and then there will be specific activities and encounter

It definitely won't the biggest thing ever. Elite Dangerous has 400 billion starsystems full of boring generated planets.

• Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1

18 hours ago, Lexx said:

Worst part is, I'm completely turned off by space ships with big front windows now. The Expanse made me fall in love with submarine-style space ships and everything else just feels so science fantasy to me now.

You think that is bad? The Expanse reminded me that ships have to be vertical.

1 hour ago, melkathi said:

But there is no gravity in space. 

HOW CAN THE DAGGERS FALL?!?

Well, according to General Relativity, a ship accelerating is the same as a planet's gravity well, so things will literally fall.

sign.jpg

Here is a really interesting video, the 175 biggest maps of all time across all games. I shudder to think how long it must have taken the guy to get this information. Daggerfall is 5 and 6 and its the biggest RPG map on the list 8)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, BruceVC said:

Here is a really interesting video, the 175 biggest maps of all time across all games. I shudder to think how long it must have taken the guy to get this information. Daggerfall is 5 and 6 and its the biggest RPG map on the list 8)

ba90f05f-c952-4863-af7e-01f5a182a254_tex

That's pretty interesting but for me, it's all about content density

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

2 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

ba90f05f-c952-4863-af7e-01f5a182a254_tex

That's pretty interesting but for me, it's all about content density

Not just density but also quality and creativity. Pick a random map from a Ubisoft game, look how packed the map is with icons, that's dense, right? How many of those icons represent something interesting, though?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Demo has been released. Despite some bugs I'm highly intrigued.

• Like 2
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

https://donkeyisland.zip/

can be played in browser

Edited by Chilloutman
  • Like 5

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

On 6/21/2023 at 5:17 PM, Keyrock said:

Not just density but also quality and creativity. Pick a random map from a Ubisoft game, look how packed the map is with icons, that's dense, right? How many of those icons represent something interesting, though?

If that is a quiz, my guess would be 2.

What have I won?

• Thanks 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

48 minutes ago, Mamoulian War said:

If that is a quiz, my guess would be 2.

What have I won?

I'm sorry, good guess, but that is incorrect.

I'll give Ubisoft this, their games typically have a handful or two of legitimately interesting activities and at least a couple of fun characters. It's the 874 lame collectibles and 36 copy/paste outposts for you to liberate that weigh the whole thing down. 

Thanks for playing. Be sure to collect your parting gift, a $10 certificate to Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, on the way out.

Edit: The correct answer was 8. 8 of the 1246 icons on an Ubisoft map represent something interesting.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Sad 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Here is another Starfields interview, it discusses some real features and mechanics. For those that dont want to watch the video here is a summary of the main points the game will include ( these aren't my summary points because its a 40 minute video and I havent watched it ) As predicted it will be a modders paradise and Wormie we dont have to worry, there will be Romance options :wub:

• Starfield direct took a lot of time to make
  • Was pleased to be able to highlight so many people on the team
  • There is a faction for being a space pirate
  • There is a large font option
  • Steam deck compatibility will be something they talk about later down the road
  • When players compare character builds they will be unique and varied
  • 10% of planets have life on them
  • If you start to add to many things to a planet it starts to feel gamey
  • The exploration is different than they than they have done before
  • There are a lot of biomes with different temperatures / radiation etc. The players suit helps with these
  • Some planets have multiple biomes some just have one
  • If you survey everything on a planet that information is worth a lot of credits
  • Will need to play the game to see if there are special creatures like how fallout has deathclaws and elder scrolls has dragons
  • There will not be land vehicles or the ability to ride wildlife.
  • Your boost pack will have skills
  • There will be low gravity planets
  • Companions are optional
  • You can spend traits and skills for a more solo centric character
  • Companions relationships can change
  • Four companions have full questlines and romance options
  • Music is one of the first things they start with along with concept art
  • Said the music Inon Zur made for Starfield could be his favourite
  • Music gives the feeling of what the world is like
  • There is one small radio station for a certain location
  • Has never had plans to be an in game radio host
  • All ships are upgradeable wether you buy or steal it
  • If you do steal a ship you have to spend credits to register it
  • You dont start the game being able to afford ship building as it is more of a long term thing in the game
  • The modules you attach to the ship effect the internal area of the ship as you walk around inside of it
  • There is lore in the game to explain how travel works
  • Very happy with current version of the creation engine. Loves the lighting model, volumetric fog, physics, happy with quest system
  • Never looked at taking features, graphics away for frame rate sake as they want consistency over a performance mod
  • Best feeling game to control they have had
  • There will be one-off type sidequests and thats ok
  • Will be a modders paradise
  • Outpost is a deep system like ship building that requires a lot of resources. Going to need to develop character skills. Like ship building it is meant for longer term playing
  • Outposts can be connected between planets.
  • Outposts can be an income generator
  • Worked really hard on Starfield. They put everything they learned from previous games into it. They love it and hope everyone else feels the same
  • Xbox has been very supportive
  • Will not answer if there are black holes
  • Vosco (the robot) cant wear a hat like codsworth / mr handy
  • Asked about why they don't make smaller projects and he pointed to fallout shelter and some unannounced mobile game but said as a player he likes big worlds
  • Thanks 4

John Milton 

7 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Will need to play the game to see if there are special creatures like how fallout has deathclaws and elder scrolls has dragon

So we will kill one within first couple hours of gameplay to suck them out of any impact they would otherwise have?😊

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wormerine said:

So we will kill one within first couple hours of gameplay to suck them out of any impact they would otherwise have?😊

Wormie I should we become  space pirates, what do you think ☠️

John Milton