Youtube recommendations, let's beat the algorithm

Sarex

On 6/2/2024 at 10:41 PM, Gorth said:

Disclaimer, not trying to start a religious war nor done any fact checking on his claims. I just listened to it the other day as background while painting miniatures. But his history of theology in this case was intriguing enough that it made me want to dig a bit deeper into the origin of the Abrahamic religions at a later date

I.e. from a warrior god in a larger pantheon to a god in small Caanite pantheon to a single god for the tribes of Israel....

InspiringPhilosophy, a Christian has actually done a lot of videos dealing with claims that Yahweh was a Pagan clone or not. Not trying to kick a hornet's nest but I think a lot of people tend only follow the trail on one side and not the other and then find the other side as zoomers dismissively as "cope". I was one of those teens just using different terms so if you want look at his defenses on this and I think you will get a more balanced views, especially since a lot of Christians weirdly say pagan influences on holidays exist when they didn't

Edited by CopingMarlinsFan
Wanted to clarify on why I posted. Want to emphasize no malicious intent

On 6/17/2024 at 9:08 PM, CopingMarlinsFan said:

I was one of those teens just using different terms so if you want look at his defenses on this and I think you will get a more balanced views, especially since a lot of Christians weirdly say pagan influences on holidays exist when they didn't

I'm more interested in facts than faith to be honest and he's not going to convince me the local clergy in Denmark didn't co-opt the existing pagan Yule celebration at the end of December. Documented as far back as 5th century. The country didn't Christianize until the 12th century, like 700 years later (reluctantly at that, it took a few more centuries to complete)

"In the Nordic lands, Yule (or “Jól”) was a significant winter festival. Vikings celebrated with feasts, boasting, and toasts to the gods, particularly Odin, who was associated with Yule", usually celebrated around winter Solstice (i.e 21st of Dec)

Edit: feel free to create a "theological:debate" thread in way off topic, if interested in subject... it must be at least 10 years since we had one of those!

An interesting history channel covering pre-imperial Rome. The rise of the city state and it's subjugation of first the neighboring Latin tribes and later their arch nemesis, the Etruscan city of Veii.

https://www.youtube.com/@MagistraVitae

The videos are not overly long and illustrated with cute little avatars illustrating events and personalities... I made it as far as the third Samnite war in 343 BC

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

2 hours ago, Gorth said:

I'm more interested in facts than faith to be honest and he's not going to convince me the local clergy in Denmark didn't co-opt the existing pagan Yule celebration at the end of December. Documented as far back as 5th century. The country didn't Christianize until the 12th century, like 700 years later (reluctantly at that, it took a few more centuries to complete)

"In the Nordic lands, Yule (or “Jól”) was a significant winter festival. Vikings celebrated with feasts, boasting, and toasts to the gods, particularly Odin, who was associated with Yule", usually celebrated around winter Solstice (i.e 21st of Dec)

Edit: feel free to create a "theological:debate" thread in way off topic, if interested in subject... it must be at least 10 years since we had one of those!

That's fine and I actually might (especially since my worldview and epistemology has radically changed on the subject). I actually do think you're onto something that the holidays are a bit of a mishmash when it comes to co-opting. I am Lutheran so I am not a fan of the Roman church but logistically I can see the statement of Christmas = Yule more sensible than Christmas = Saturnalia which is a the modern day shift I've seen. I am also more stating on how Yahweh isn't actually pagan in general which to me is facts based and you can never convince me He is actually a co-opted pagan god.

On a far seperate note:

This is how I feel when I debate zoomers online. 

Edited by CopingMarlinsFan
Not assuming Gorth is a zoomer, plus clarifying my view

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Sarex said:

Well this I didn't expect...

fyi @PK htiw klaw eriF

Now that's a pleasant surprise.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

I like Kyles stuff, and I kind of agree with this video unfortunately.

• Like 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

1. What's funny is that smaller forums like these feel like one of the last few holdouts of the old internet where you could actually talk to other humans online. There seems to be fewer and fewer places like this out there as time goes on, and now they're even trying to infiltrate here!

2. Practically every content medium (be it movies, television, music, books, video games, news, artists, bloggers, video essayists...even increasingly niche sub-genres within mediums like "artists who make and post pixel art online") was already over-saturated to the point of it being virtually impossible for any one person to sort through all of it. Generative content threatens to transform that from a waterfall to an endless ocean.

3. I don't really have a point three, but you can't have a list of just two things to say, that's illegal. Form interests and hobbies that don't have much or anything to do with the internet (especially not anything that is brand new and therefore highly subject to online bot interaction and manipulation), because in another ten, twenty years...I just don't know. It's better for you, anyway.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

17 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

1. What's funny is that smaller forums like these feel like one of the last few holdouts of the old internet where you could actually talk to other humans online. There seems to be fewer and fewer places like this out there as time goes on, and now they're even trying to infiltrate here!

2. Practically every content medium (be it movies, television, music, books, video games, news, artists, bloggers, video essayists...even increasingly niche sub-genres within mediums like "artists who make and post pixel art online") was already over-saturated to the point of it being virtually impossible for any one person to sort through all of it. Generative content threatens to transform that from a waterfall to an endless ocean.

3. I don't really have a point three, but you can't have a list of just two things to say, that's illegal. Form interests and hobbies that don't have much or anything to do with the internet (especially not anything that is brand new and therefore subject to bot interaction and manipulation), because in another ten, twenty years...I just don't know.

1. Yeah, I figure I spend 80% of my web "browsing" actually browsing this forum. I used to browse No Mutants Allowed too, but I've fallen off there.

2. I hate that my content "feed" on youtube has stopped being 90% from the people that I actually want to follow and it seems to show bot content farm bull**** that does the same content or just blatantly copying it instead. It doesn't seem to help that I tell youtube to not recommend certain channels either. As I drive an old car, I often have to look for spare parts, and there is basically no shot of finding a legit parts vendor anymore if you just google. I'm stuck using the ones that I know, because I've got to go past page 10 atleast before I get past the SEO optimized malware pages.

3. Good point. 😄

I've started playing pen and paper rpgs again, in person, I still can't stand playing online though, it's ****ing awful and also puts you in the line of fire for being shat on by the publishers in the same way as gaming is infected.

• Like 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

13 hours ago, Azdeus said:

2. I hate that my content "feed" on youtube has stopped being 90% from the people that I actually want to follow and it seems to show bot content farm bull**** that does the same content or just blatantly copying it instead. It doesn't seem to help that I tell youtube to not recommend certain channels either. As I drive an old car, I often have to look for spare parts, and there is basically no shot of finding a legit parts vendor anymore if you just google. I'm stuck using the ones that I know, because I've got to go past page 10 atleast before I get past the SEO optimized malware pages.

On Instagram I started counting how many "sponsored" posts show up for every post of a person I follow. It is about 12 - 1.

• Sad 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

3 hours ago, melkathi said:

On Instagram I started counting how many "sponsored" posts show up for every post of a person I follow. It is about 12 - 1.

That sounds about right. I'm not on instagram myself, but the annoyance on my mothers face when she wants to show me something is clear.

On 7/12/2024 at 3:18 AM, Bartimaeus said:

3. I don't really have a point three, but you can't have a list of just two things to say, that's illegal. Form interests and hobbies that don't have much or anything to do with the internet (especially not anything that is brand new and therefore highly subject to online bot interaction and manipulation), because in another ten, twenty years...I just don't know. It's better for you, anyway.

feel somewhat the same about point 1

but not sure if it was just nostalgia clouding the mind

different website still have generation divide when returning after 4 to 7 year gap

Edited by uuuhhii

On 7/11/2024 at 8:26 PM, Azdeus said:

I like Kyles stuff, and I kind of agree with this video unfortunately.

As a grumpy early adopter I still have to chuckle about the idea that AI killed the worthwhile internet that consists of Fecesbook* and the hellspawn that crawled out of the underworld in its wake. People glorify a time period where the internet was already dead because corporate interests had taken over, i.e. some supposed golden age between 2010 and 2020. The actual golden age of the internet died at the turn of the millennium** - if not even earlier. :yes:

Still, good video, as usual. Kyle makes good stuff most of the time. :)

*The actual progenitor is probably MySpace, but nobody remembers that nowadays.

**The YouTube microcosm is a little different as it took a while for hardware and users to catch up (making videos is much more time consuming and resource intensive), but the downward slope started when Google turned into the Umbrella Corporation, and generative AI making videos is just the nail in the coffin.

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

3 hours ago, majestic said:

As a grumpy early adopter I still have to chuckle about the idea that AI killed the worthwhile internet that consists of Fecesbook* and the hellspawn that crawled out of the underworld in its wake. People glorify a time period where the internet was already dead because corporate interests had taken over, i.e. some supposed golden age between 2010 and 2020. The actual golden age of the internet died at the turn of the millennium** - if not even earlier. :yes:

Still, good video, as usual. Kyle makes good stuff most of the time. :)

*The actual progenitor is probably MySpace, but nobody remembers that nowadays.

**The YouTube microcosm is a little different as it took a while for hardware and users to catch up (making videos is much more time consuming and resource intensive), but the downward slope started when Google turned into the Umbrella Corporation, and generative AI making videos is just the nail in the coffin.

I think the golden age of the internet was around 2000-2005, but ones memories can easilly be wrong. Back then it wasn't hard to find something that you wanted on the net, and it hadn't had time to be completely poisoned yet.

46 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

I think the golden age of the internet was around 2000-2005

Uf. I wouldn't trade for that time. The forums were probably better and IRCs, but everything else...

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone of you can, you should sign it!

• Like 1

Is it worth saving, though

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 hour ago, Malcador said:

Is it worth saving, though

Yes.

That is besides the possibility to expand this to things like cars and other products with digital "locks". Like Fisker cars not being able to use their installed sunroofs anymore.

19 hours ago, Azdeus said:

Yes.

That is besides the possibility to expand this to things like cars and other products with digital "locks". Like Fisker cars not being able to use their installed sunroofs anymore.

Maybe.  Hard for me to get past my amusement at gamers' gnashing of teeth though.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lazerpig and History of Everything go to Ukraine, NSFW and sad, and heartwarming.