Youtube recommendations, let's beat the algorithm

Sarex

On 6/2/2024 at 10:41 PM, Gorth said:

Disclaimer, not trying to start a religious war nor done any fact checking on his claims. I just listened to it the other day as background while painting miniatures. But his history of theology in this case was intriguing enough that it made me want to dig a bit deeper into the origin of the Abrahamic religions at a later date

I.e. from a warrior god in a larger pantheon to a god in small Caanite pantheon to a single god for the tribes of Israel....

InspiringPhilosophy, a Christian has actually done a lot of videos dealing with claims that Yahweh was a Pagan clone or not. Not trying to kick a hornet's nest but I think a lot of people tend only follow the trail on one side and not the other and then find the other side as zoomers dismissively as "cope". I was one of those teens just using different terms so if you want look at his defenses on this and I think you will get a more balanced views, especially since a lot of Christians weirdly say pagan influences on holidays exist when they didn't

Edited by CopingMarlinsFan
Wanted to clarify on why I posted. Want to emphasize no malicious intent

On 6/17/2024 at 9:08 PM, CopingMarlinsFan said:

I was one of those teens just using different terms so if you want look at his defenses on this and I think you will get a more balanced views, especially since a lot of Christians weirdly say pagan influences on holidays exist when they didn't

I'm more interested in facts than faith to be honest and he's not going to convince me the local clergy in Denmark didn't co-opt the existing pagan Yule celebration at the end of December. Documented as far back as 5th century. The country didn't Christianize until the 12th century, like 700 years later (reluctantly at that, it took a few more centuries to complete)

"In the Nordic lands, Yule (or “Jól”) was a significant winter festival. Vikings celebrated with feasts, boasting, and toasts to the gods, particularly Odin, who was associated with Yule", usually celebrated around winter Solstice (i.e 21st of Dec)

Edit: feel free to create a "theological:debate" thread in way off topic, if interested in subject... it must be at least 10 years since we had one of those!

An interesting history channel covering pre-imperial Rome. The rise of the city state and it's subjugation of first the neighboring Latin tribes and later their arch nemesis, the Etruscan city of Veii.

https://www.youtube.com/@MagistraVitae

The videos are not overly long and illustrated with cute little avatars illustrating events and personalities... I made it as far as the third Samnite war in 343 BC

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

2 hours ago, Gorth said:

I'm more interested in facts than faith to be honest and he's not going to convince me the local clergy in Denmark didn't co-opt the existing pagan Yule celebration at the end of December. Documented as far back as 5th century. The country didn't Christianize until the 12th century, like 700 years later (reluctantly at that, it took a few more centuries to complete)

"In the Nordic lands, Yule (or “Jól”) was a significant winter festival. Vikings celebrated with feasts, boasting, and toasts to the gods, particularly Odin, who was associated with Yule", usually celebrated around winter Solstice (i.e 21st of Dec)

Edit: feel free to create a "theological:debate" thread in way off topic, if interested in subject... it must be at least 10 years since we had one of those!

That's fine and I actually might (especially since my worldview and epistemology has radically changed on the subject). I actually do think you're onto something that the holidays are a bit of a mishmash when it comes to co-opting. I am Lutheran so I am not a fan of the Roman church but logistically I can see the statement of Christmas = Yule more sensible than Christmas = Saturnalia which is a the modern day shift I've seen. I am also more stating on how Yahweh isn't actually pagan in general which to me is facts based and you can never convince me He is actually a co-opted pagan god.

On a far seperate note:

This is how I feel when I debate zoomers online. 

Edited by CopingMarlinsFan
Not assuming Gorth is a zoomer, plus clarifying my view