Anime and Manga - I won’t allow your bones to stay on this planet. I will banish your evil soul.

Sarex

Narutaru:

Spoiler

Hoshimaru randomly turns into a sword to kill someone attacking Shiina, and her newfound stu-stu-tu-stu-ttery friend is contemplating suicide after her own Patrick is stabbed by the attacker's Patrick. Nothing makes sense and the feeling of unease is really enhanced by this almost insane sound engineering. Ambient sounds keep being very loud in the mix, as are breaths. Attacker boy gave some exposition about the dragon and the Patricks, but nothing really useful.

Yep. This really isn't going to end well, is it? :p

• Hmmm 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Chainsaw Man 1

If you don't like blood, this is not for you.

85d53ff48cd48646057cc61fde5fe956b5bae95d

Denji hunts devils with Pochita (his pet chainsaw devil dog) to pay the debt his dead father left him.

Spoiler

After being betrayed and chopped into pieces by the Yakuza zombies, Denji is resurrected by Pochita, who replaces his heart. Denji can now create chainsaws in his hands and face and easily destroys the Zombie devil and the Yakuza zombies.

Chainsaw Man 2

chainsaw-man-denji-meets-power-500x280.j

Denji is recruited and joins the devil hunters. He wants to work with Makima, but ends up living with Hayakawa, a guy who doesn't like him, and paired with Power, a crazy devil possessed girl.

Edit: it's devil, not demon. I"m playing too much WotR.

Edited by InsaneCommander
  • Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

sign.jpg

52 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

I"m playing too much WotR.

My kitsune run is going well.

tumblr_p7xgj8kXB41tx45yjo1_500.gif

• Haha 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

6 minutes ago, Sarex said:

If only it was just that...if only...

What else happens?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Narutaru:

Spoiler

Just added a government organisation researching dragons (the Patricks are the children of the dragons, or the children of one particular dragon, whatever that is supposed to mean), there's a terrorist group with Patricks (dead guy from last episode casually killed by Hoshimaru belonged to them), Shiina's mother is really great at parenting and Shiina eats more food than Usagi and promptly throws up. Akira did not kill herself, but she just sits at home and cuts her hair.

Hoshimaru!Patrick stared creepily into the void.

I don't know how to put this, but Texhnolyze made more sense, in some ways. Texhnolyze has the big issue of the viewer being unfamiliar with the setting and one not getting a whole lot of direct exposition, but this one? Here we have a familiar setting, and everything is a little as if there's just a thin coat of paint on a world that's entirely wrong. Basically, this isn't an eldritch horror series, the series IS an eldritch horror entity. :yes:

Edit: Shiina's mother made note of how Shiina spells her name in katakana, and muses that she is ashamed of her name, so I just spent looking at almost fourty different ways to spell Shiina in kanji, but none of them mean anything particularily noteworthy, so no real clues there, although it's hard to say if the site I looked at had all possible spellings. Kanji readings for names are a science in and of themself.

Edited by majestic
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, majestic said:

Basically, this isn't an eldritch horror series, the series IS an eldritch horror entity. :yes:

Ok I'm in. Now where to find the show?

Let me know what you think. It's odd to feel an uncanny valley effect for the entire series, and I wonder if it is just me finally going off the deep end, or on purpose. :p 

• Thanks 1

Spy x Family 16

notWebP

A Yor episode! Finally. Well, two thirds of an episode actually.

Spoiler

811848ba2ec370e77624c499760210a9.jpeg

Yor asks her work colleagues to help her learn how to cook. They all refuse, but a guy appears, reveals Camilla is a great cook and invites Yor to come over Camilla’s place. He also invites Yor’s brother, Yuri, to taste the food.

The initial results are disastrous, but Yuri loves it anyway. Later they remember a dish their mother used to make and Yor successfully recreates it.

Yor goes home and announces she will make dinner:

Ffs-G-c6-Xo-AEd-B2-F.jpg

But they love it.

The last part of the episode is terrible though. Loid's friend whose name I forgot wants to ask a girl out and needs Loid's help. It looks irrelevant to the story, although the girl apparently appears in the preview of the next episode.

• Hmmm 1
  • Gasp! 1

sign.jpg

Gunsmith Cats, episode 2 of 3. If action shows spent less time on unmotivated action and a little more on writing and building up the characters to the effect of making the action more meaningful (and also preferably clever and fun), me and action shows would get along much better. Sadly, that's not the case...except for Gunsmith Cats. It blows my mind that a show like Noir, which steadfastly refused to do...anything at all with its characters in favor of repeating what were effectively the same mindless action sequences over and over, got 26 episodes while this is just a 3 part OVA. Well, this one looks like it was even more expensive to produce than Noir (which is no easy feat with how good that show looked), but still. Ah well, sometimes short and sweet is ultimately the better way to go: I think it's always better to have an 8/10 (great) movie's worth of content than simply a 7/10 (good) show's worth instead, but opinions may differ depending on how easy it is for you to commit time to a show...and possibly how much of a generally disagreeable person you are (spoiler: I am the most disagreeable).

Spoiler

My only issue with the show is that it's been just a little too free with showing our main characters in their underwear, but it's been largely justified and non-sexualized. Still somewhat questionable, but I'll forgive it given the show's clear good other qualities. Really, this show made me love the main characters and care about the action in just two half-hour episodes' time.

mpc-hc64_RJ3CbpDzwS.png

Rally on the right likes her guns, May on the left likes...well, more like loves her explosives. I'm pretty sure she never leaves the house without at least a few grenades and flash bangs on her person.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Hmmm 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

4 hours ago, InsaneCommander said:

Spy x Family 16

notWebP

A Yor episode! Finally. Well, two thirds of an episode actually.

Reveal hidden contents

811848ba2ec370e77624c499760210a9.jpeg

Yor asks her work colleagues to help her learn how to cook. They all refuse, but a guy appears, reveals Camilla is a great cook and invites Yor to come over Camilla’s place. He also invites Yor’s brother, Yuri, to taste the food.

The initial results are disastrous, but Yuri loves it anyway. Later they remember a dish their mother used to make and Yor successfully recreates it.

Yor goes home and announces she will make dinner:

Ffs-G-c6-Xo-AEd-B2-F.jpg

But they love it.

The last part of the episode is terrible though. Loid's friend whose name I forgot wants to ask a girl out and needs Loid's help. It looks irrelevant to the story, although the girl apparently appears in the preview of the next episode.

I'd much rather have seen Anya at the obstacle course than 10 minutes of Franky.

• Sad 1

Franky is a pretty trash character unless he's magically gotten better in the second season, and it doesn't sound like he has.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

Franky is a pretty trash character unless he's magically gotten better in the second season, and it doesn't sound like he has.

He hasn't and the "pretty" isn't needed. Franky is one dimensional cardboard cutout with an annoying gimmick attached, and this mini-episode just drove home how boring he is. A 10-minute special featuring Mr. Elegant would be preferable to the Franky mini-episode.

• Like 1

Got back to watching Tensura Nikki (my favourite slime protagonist) again. First 3 episodes of season 2 is about world building (not metaphysical, but philosophically). Rimuru's new nation is establishing diplomatic connections and trade agreements with neighbouring countries around 'The Great Forest Nation of Tempest'. Too many things to list in bullet point form, suffice to say it was as funny as I remembered it. The king of the Dwarves review (in private, after the ceremony) of Rimuru's public speech to the Dwarven nation had me in stitches. It was absolutely scathing 😂

Also, looks like a movie is coming out next year...

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

2 hours ago, InsaneCommander said:

I'd rather eat Yor's food than watch 10 minutes of Franky.

I'd rather write a novel length slashfic that simultaneously runs Daeran x Regill and Wenduag x Nenio than watch 10 minutes of Franky.

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

Chainsaw Man 3

30eca3060b63b8518016d850891116e3d32059b3

Another great episode. Denji makes a deal with Power: if he rescues her cat, she will let him fondle her breasts. Or at least that is what is implied.

Funny how everyone underestimates Denji even when he states some facts, that are taken as something figurative or jokes. This will lead to some great scenes when they learn more about him.

Spoiler

A devil is as strong as his name (or concept, whatever) is feared, so why can’t they understand how powerful a chainsaw devil can be? Even Makima finds it merely interesting.

• Like 1

sign.jpg

I really liked the first season of "the devil is a part timer"/"Hataraku Maou-sama" so I was quite stoked to see the second season, just released after ten years. Duke Nukem Forever was less of a dissapointment after the ten year wait.

• Haha 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

7 hours ago, Azdeus said:

I really liked the first season of "the devil is a part timer"/"Hataraku Maou-sama" so I was quite stoked to see the second season, just released after ten years. Duke Nukem Forever was less of a dissapointment after the ten year wait.

Season 1 was good when I watched it years ago, I do wonder how it would hold up to a rewatch.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

On 9/19/2022 at 7:39 PM, Sarex said:

Drifting Home is a hard recommend from me. Best Netflix anime bar none.

Wow, you suggested this over a month ago. That is how slowly I go through my watch list.

This is indeed very good. I also found it funny when I recognized some voice actors and checked the others I didn't. Natsume has the same voice as Raphtalia from Rising of the Shield Hero and they have similar personalities. Reina's is the same as Hestia's from Is It Dangerous to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon and I recognized it as soon as the character started shouting at someone.😂 One of the guys has the same voice as Narancia from JoJo and another one of the boys, Kosuke, has the same actor as... Ermes Costello's from Stone Ocean.confused.png.32c5d2a072ecd70d1035086796733a11.png

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

sign.jpg

Should I really watch it? Saw a few seconds of it but then it felt so much like this bubble anime, which was to me just such a huge amount of wasted time. 😄

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."