Anime and Manga - I won’t allow your bones to stay on this planet. I will banish your evil soul.

Sarex

1 hour ago, InsaneCommander said:

Stone Ocean 23-24

Jolyne gets back to the women's wing, makes a new friend, eats nice food, and... ? confused.png.32c5d2a072ecd70d1035086796733a11.png

These episodes were tense. And this was one of the most satisfying scenes in the whole series:

Reveal hidden contents

Now let's wait months for the next episodes and wonder if Miu Miu used her Stando power on us.

I'll make sure to write it on my arm in case I forget. 

By the way did you guys know JoJo was back?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Battle Angel Alita, a two-part OVA about an amnesiac android girl named Gally.

mpc-hc64_WWsNMo22qC.png

Her head's picked up by some semi-mad scientist in a scrapyard and he resurrects her and treats her like his daughter. Turns out, she musta been a gladiator in her past life or something, because she just destroys. To be honest, it's a little dumb but was a bit more enjoyable than most similar 80s/90s action trash.

Spoiler

1. The semi-mad scientist father actually for real treats Gally like a daughter and doesn't die - a pretty shocking combination for this premise, to be honest. He was a famous doctor of the overcity, but was thrown out for some unspecified reason.
2. Gally (I have no idea why it's "Battle Angel Alita" when the name "Alita" isn't ever mentioned - bad translated English title, I guess, because I can literally hear everyone call her "Gally" in the Japanese audio) has a cute little crush on the shonen non-protagonist boy next door who's obsessed with getting out of the undercity and into the overcity, and he gets a little too shonen-y for his own good and...well, pays the price for both of them.
3. The show takes some time to build up the antagonist with some background about her own desires about escaping her current life...and she has the opportunity to secretly listen to Gally's own hopes and dreams, and it causes a nice little change of heart that makes sense and works because of how similar they are to her own, I think.
4. Contrary to its name, there's honestly not that much action, and that's good.
5. Even though the antagonist has a change of heart, show still ends on a pretty dour note, although both Gally and her father do survive.
6. Show feels somewhat unfinished, since Gally's amnesia is never resolved, they never leave the undercity, and the father's past life never dealt with. I get the impression that this must have originally been a manga that had more to it, but pretty fat chance I investigate that. ...I mean, maybe, but probably not.

Overall, not too shabby for a minor cult favorite. I have no idea why they gave her such gargantuan eyes in the live action adaptation (which no, I have not seen):

VOTQnwSEqEZa6xGU7es8Du2TPxUxdVmSM7UmZqmU

I wonder how much money of their 200 million dollar budget it took to make her eyes like that.

(e): Apparently, James Cameron co-wrote the screenplay for Alita: Battle Angel, so that's gonna be an immediate nope from me, dog.

27 minutes ago, KP From Another World said:

Never heard of her.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Gasp! 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

15 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Never heard of her.

That's a shame. Those Atilla cgi eyes give me the creeps. Come to think of it, isn't Robert Rodriguez doing a new movie? I hope it's good.

• Haha 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

9 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

Miuccia_Miuller_Infobox_Anime.png

Is this the work of an enemy stand?

• Hmmm 1

14 minutes ago, KP From Another World said:

Come to think of it, isn't Robert Rodriguez doing a new movie? I hope it's good.

The only work of his that I've seen is Spy Kids, back when I was like seven or eight years old. It looks very unlikely I would enjoy anything he was director or writer for.

That's a shame. Those Atilla cgi eyes give me the creeps.

Apparently, James Cameron wanted to one-up it when he was slated to be director before he was canned because he was too busy with Avatar trash:

"With James Cameron as potential director, the film was to be produced with the same mix of live-action and computer-generated imagery that Cameron used in Avatar. Specifically, Cameron intended to render the main character, Alita, completely in CGI. Cameron had stated that he would make use of technologies developed for Avatar to produce the film, such as the Fusion Camera System, facial performance capture, and the Simulcam. In May 2006, Variety reported that Cameron had spent the past ten months developing technology to produce the film."

Like...couldn't we just give her a normal head/face but metal android body, like the show did? Wouldn't that look and work a lot better? I don't know, that would just kind of make sense to me. I'm not a famous Hollywood hack director, so my opinion on such things is eminently worthless.

I watched Jojo Rabbit recently, does that count for anything?

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Confused 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

4 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

The only work of his that I've seen is Spy Kids, back when I was like seven or eight years old. It looks very unlikely I would enjoy anything he was director or writer for.

I loved his Mariachi trilogy and From Dusk Till Dawn. Of the 90's directors, I always got the feel that he was the most genuine indie guy of the bunch besides Linklater. On a personal level I think he's a much more interesting filmmaker than Tarantino, who I think is a guy with a lot of talent but mediocre ideas.

8 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Like...couldn't we just give her a normal head/face but metal android body, like the show did? Wouldn't that look and work a lot better? I don't know, that would just kind of make sense to me. I'm not a famous Hollywood hack director, so my opinion on such things is eminently worthless.

I think Cameron has gone full CGI. Probably a shame if you're an action movie guy, but I'm not so I don't really care that much. :shrugz:

9 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

I watched Jojo Rabbit recently, does that count for anything?

I wasn't the biggest fan of JoJo Rabbit, but I guess Waititi directing something besides Marvel is an improvement.

Hold on, I got to punch out a prison guard who has been making me forget stuff with her stand.

5 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

I have broken free of Jailhouse Lock and am now heading to Florida to battle the sons of DIO. Wish me luck.

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

Twilight Q (1987), a two-part OVA that seems like it was intended to be a kind of rip-off of The Twilight Zone.

mpc-hc64_a0ZH0IRjMN.png

Only two episodes were made, but apparently there were supposed to be more - all from different directors with their own original ideas. It's kind of a shame that only two were made, as it was a quality production, and it would have been a fun show to watch an episode here and there of a la an anthology series like Tales from the Crypt or The Outer Limits. Ah well.

mpc-hc64_VBdqMu9rnK.gif

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Thanks 1

On 9/24/2022 at 9:06 PM, Bartimaeus said:

Battle Angel Alita, a two-part OVA about an amnesiac android girl named Gally.

mpc-hc64_WWsNMo22qC.png

Her head's picked up by some semi-mad scientist in a scrapyard and he resurrects her and treats her like his daughter. Turns out, she musta been a gladiator in her past life or something, because she just destroys. To be honest, it's a little dumb but was a bit more enjoyable than most similar 80s/90s action trash.

Reveal hidden contents

1. The semi-mad scientist father actually for real treats Gally like a daughter and doesn't die - a pretty shocking combination for this premise, to be honest. He was a famous doctor of the overcity, but was thrown out for some unspecified reason.
2. Gally (I have no idea why it's "Battle Angel Alita" when the name "Alita" isn't ever mentioned - bad translated English title, I guess, because I can literally hear everyone call her "Gally" in the Japanese audio) has a cute little crush on the shonen non-protagonist boy next door who's obsessed with getting out of the undercity and into the overcity, and he gets a little too shonen-y for his own good and...well, pays the price for both of them.
3. The show takes some time to build up the antagonist with some background about her own desires about escaping her current life...and she has the opportunity to secretly listen to Gally's own hopes and dreams, and it causes a nice little change of heart that makes sense and works because of how similar they are to her own, I think.
4. Contrary to its name, there's honestly not that much action, and that's good.
5. Even though the antagonist has a change of heart, show still ends on a pretty dour note, although both Gally and her father do survive.
6. Show feels somewhat unfinished, since Gally's amnesia is never resolved, they never leave the undercity, and the father's past life never dealt with. I get the impression that this must have originally been a manga that had more to it, but pretty fat chance I investigate that. ...I mean, maybe, but probably not.

Overall, not too shabby for a minor cult favorite. I have no idea why they gave her such gargantuan eyes in the live action adaptation (which no, I have not seen):

VOTQnwSEqEZa6xGU7es8Du2TPxUxdVmSM7UmZqmU

I wonder how much money of their 200 million dollar budget it took to make her eyes like that.

(e): Apparently, James Cameron co-wrote the screenplay for Alita: Battle Angel, so that's gonna be an immediate nope from me, dog.

Never heard of her.

The movie was surprisingly good. I kinda want a sequel.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

53 minutes ago, uuuhhii said:

that movie was weird but like most netflix production it is interesting someone throw so much money into the project

The live action Alita: Battle Angel was a theatrical film from 20th Century Fox.  It really only got made because Cameron wanted it made; I doubt the studio would have put any money behind it otherwise.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Overlord 4.12 and 4.13

Very disappointing episodes. The fight in episode 11 was much more interesting and having villains as protagonists is way more interesting when they are fighting against other bad guys than when

Spoiler

they are massacring an entire city full of innocents. Not that they showed any of that though.

This season has ended and apparently Spy x Family will resume on Saturday.🙂

• Like 1

sign.jpg

Cyberpunk. Very inline with story and feel of the game, maybe a little bit too much, but I can understand why they did it. It's nothing extraordinary, but that doesn't stop it from being a good watch. They didn't go crazy with it and at 10 episodes it feels very tight.

What I find funny is that they were all about female nudity, but there was 0 male nudity (even in a scene where it would really make sense for there to be).

• Gasp! 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

20 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Cyberpunk. Very inline with story and feel of the game, maybe a little bit too much, but I can understand why they did it. It's nothing extraordinary, but that doesn't stop it from being a good watch. They didn't go crazy with it and at 10 episodes it feels very tight.

What I find funny is that they were all about female nudity, but there was 0 male nudity (even in a scene where it would really make sense for there to be).

My watch is list is a mess again. But I know what I'll watch next. I'll start with some suggestions from this thread (Twilight Q and Drifting Home), then Cyberpunk and maybe Ergo Proxy. This will take some time though since I'm playing wotr in most of my free time.

And what happened to Isekai Ojisan??

sign.jpg

4 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

My watch is list is a mess again. But I know what I'll watch next. I'll start with some suggestions from this thread (Twilight Q and Drifting Home), then Cyberpunk and maybe Ergo Proxy. This will take some time though since I'm playing wotr in most of my free time.

Why Twilight Q? You a Twilight Zone fan or something? :p

1 hour ago, InsaneCommander said:

He went back to the other world.

• Gasp! 1

2 hours ago, Sarex said:

I almost thought the nudity was just trailer bait, since it was featured there "prominently" but in the actual episode it's also just a "blink and you miss it"-moment.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

26 minutes ago, Lexx said:

I almost thought the nudity was just trailer bait, since it was featured there "prominently" but in the actual episode it's also just a "blink and you miss it"-moment.

I'm pretty sure every episode had some nudity in it. Again it would have felt more natural if there was some shlong mixed in.

• Hmmm 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP