What You've Done Today - Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.

majestic

16 hours ago, uuuhhii said:

just know that windows 11 are a thing now

really really don't want to switch os again

xp to windows 10 was awful

When you (eventually) switch to Windows 11, remember to execute this command:

reg add "HKCU\Software\Classes\CLSID\{86ca1aa0-34aa-4e8b-a509-50c905bae2a2}\InprocServer32" /f /ve

Otherwise you'll end up going crazy.

Well, maybe that's me projecting, but the new context menu sure drove me crazy before I figured out how to turn it off.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

44 minutes ago, majestic said:

When you (eventually) switch to Windows 11, remember to execute this command:

reg add "HKCU\Software\Classes\CLSID\{86ca1aa0-34aa-4e8b-a509-50c905bae2a2}\InprocServer32" /f /ve

Otherwise you'll end up going crazy.

Well, maybe that's me projecting, but the new context menu sure drove me crazy before I figured out how to turn it off.

use cmd or find it in reg somewhere

25 minutes ago, uuuhhii said:

use cmd or find it in reg somewhere

It is a command line call that adds a registry key to disable the new context menu in Windows 11. Requires a reboot. 

You can also use regedit of course but that is slower than just copy/pasting this. :) 

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

17 minutes ago, majestic said:

It is a command line call that adds a registry key to disable the new context menu in Windows 11. Requires a reboot. 

You can also use regedit of course but that is slower than just copy/pasting this. :) 

another in the long line of things to do when switching os

took about 5 hours last time

have to write down a lot of note for next time

hope most of them still work in windows 11

PC just switched off then failed to POST.  Last weekend it did similar behaviour, would turn on then turn off again, turned out it was a RAM stick.  This time taking the RAM stick out did fix it, so guess the stick died. 

Really need to just build a rig, prices are down a bit these days, so I guess that is my weekend project. 

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

52 minutes ago, Malcador said:

PC just switched off then failed to POST.  Last weekend it did similar behaviour, would turn on then turn off again, turned out it was a RAM stick.  This time taking the RAM stick out did fix it, so guess the stick died. 

Really need to just build a rig, prices are down a bit these days, so I guess that is my weekend project. 

Yeah, I really want to pull the trigger too. But I just can justify it to myself, as I would not use it. I'll probably just update the graphics on my existing rig.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Well, RAM stick in another slot seems to be ok. Curious, will have to find time to run memtest, the Windows memory tool spotted nothing.  Wonder if the slot is the issue - which is worse.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

In the final slog of my current role. One week to go and then wrap up next Friday and off to a new role in a new place on the Monday.

My line manager is filling the time up with bits of pettiness in between bouts of pleasant and amiable conversation.

Keeping an eye on the time, since Star Wars Celebration tickets go on sale this afternoon.

I actually spent last weekend at an Armour Party / BBQ / Overnight camp out with the Mandalorian Mercs. Some discussions on all they're setting up in preparation for Celebrations arrivial next April.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

1 hour ago, Raithe said:

My line manager is filling the time up with bits of pettiness in between bouts of pleasant and amiable conversation.

Well as the thread exhorts us to live as if today were our last.....

Kill your manager.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

27 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Well as the thread exhorts us to live as if today were our last.....

Kill your manager.

I think the most unrealistic part of apocalypse movies is that no one decided to kill their landlords or bosses on the way out as resentment. 

Anyways I'm trying to figure out if I should grab tickets to see the restoration of Lost Highway at the Museum of Fine Arts or just wait for the digital release.

• Like 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

We just got back from a family trip to Universal Studios in LA. We stayed at the Safari Inn, which is kind of a little historical icon that also is a fairly affordable family motel. Universal Studios was fun. We've visited before and it just tends to be a much more chill park than Disney. But it was pretty hot and we didn't spend too much time in the park itself. Instead we spent a fair amount of time exploring Burbank, which is a pretty interesting movie studio town.

My daughter really wanted to visit the Hollywood Museum. I took her, but I told her it is a rough part of town compared to Burbank. It is right on Hollywood Blvd along the walk of fame. My kids are pretty good at navigating San Francisco and they understand how dense cities can dramatically change street to street, but my daughter's words were "I'm glad we went to the museum, but now we don't ever have to go back to that area." 

I think we will do the Warner Bros. Studio Tour next trip. 

• Like 2

I was talking to one of G's patients yesterday. Well, the patient's owner anyway. Her actual patients don't say much. He is a retired divorce lawyer. I told him a little about my experiences. He said it sounded like I was well represented both times.  Anyway he told me a story that only reinforced my notion that humans not evolved primates but more likely DE-volved primates.

His client was  a well off middle aged man whose wife was having an affair. He had started the paperwork for divorce but not filed. Before filing he found out he had end stage cancer and would probably pass on within the year. He would be gone before the divorce would be near final. His wife became angry and spiteful when she learned he knew of the affair and told his she was "just waiting for him to die" so she could move her boyfriend in and "have fun" with his money.  The lawyer said he's never seen anyone half so cruel and heatless. Coming from a lawyer that is saying something. 

So the man, his daughter (not related to the wife) came up with a plan. They changed his life insurance beneficiary from his wife to his daughter. Then waited. They didn't need to wait long. The wife maxed out one of his credit cards taking her boyfriend to Mexico for a vacation. So they filed for divorce then to put a freeze on martial assets. The man passed away shortly after and the will to his estate became a probate matter with the daughter and ex-wife contesting the estate. The daughter received the life insurance benefit and the lawyer said she was "set for life". Must have been a good one. The lawyer was so disgusted he offered to represent the daughter in the probate dispute for free. 

So now it's in probate court. The idea they had was not to win, it was to burn the estate to the ground. The daughter would end up with next to nothing from the estate but so would the wife. They forced the appointment of a Receiver and dragged it on for years. In the end the estate was settled with a four figure check for each. Over $1M in fees, receivership costs, etc had burned a million dollar estate to less than $20k. The daughter got the life insurance and the wife didn't even get enough to cover the cost of the trip she took to Mexico with her boy toy. 

I told him that was a great story! He said he's seen a lot of people get screwed over but that was the only time he felt good about it. 

• Like 4

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Worked some weathering onto my Beskad for my Mando Mercs app.

JxcxkDF.jpg?1

yblcyQP.jpg?1

Making sure it doesn't look too shiny and fresh...

JenVQwA.jpg

• Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Happy Independence Day to you US people

• Like 2

I have been tramping over the weekend. I am almost eaten by the bugs but otherwise it was very refreshing (even tho it was hot as dickens)

image.thumb.jpeg.de94edf6ee90e7d4c92ed37622f02dfa.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.a2af2cb3912e06c1298cc20416ca2f47.jpeg497602600_DSC_0211(2).thumb.JPG.b6fa4d1d89863fd430e01af856441ae2.JPG

• Like 6

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

And bonus one of my dog being classy

image.jpeg.e088cac5a0ff3a43e2c8bfb8c687c79b.jpeg

• Like 4

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

bigpests.thumb.jpg.da132afdd1889b144054f9b639fb192f.jpg

our daily battle with the deer continues. the deer are winning. is a picture after we managed to chase the deer from our yard this am. the redwoods and fir is Gromnir property. is our neighbor's propane tank-- neighbor is on what is referred to as a circle lot and we had already landscaped the majority o' common area before he built, so our large lot is effective even larger than it appears to be on paper.

these deer get into the fenced portion o' our yard and destroy, destroy, destroy. worst o' all, am much concerned 'bout our dogs who have free access to our backyard via a doggie door. the delicate looking deer hooves are capable o' caving in the skull o' even a large and ferocious canine in the blink o' an eye and our little yappers instinctive will bark and run at the deer. the possibility for a tragic ending is high.

more first world problems, but am genuine concerned for our ankle biters as the deer literal come up onto our patio to eat potted plants. 

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

The cats are integrating well. Other than that I'm testing out if I want an inside sales role at my current company.

• Like 1

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

19 hours ago, Malcador said:

Happy Independence Day to you US people

C3CA1C1B4DB83E84E911E91F67D5B51B821C7247

4th of July has become my least favorite holiday over the last few years because of both this phenomenon and because so many of the people who most fervently celebrate it seeming to be less than my ideal kind of people. To all of those who are decent and sane still trying to hold the fort down, I salute you...but it might be a lost cause at this point.

• Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

For some reason, recently, every time I turn off the TV, when I turn it back on, the PC doesn't always re-detect it as a 2nd monitor. Reinsert cable repeatedly, turn TV on/off, turn PC on/off, eventually one of those things work, but never know which one. Probably (hopefully it's just) the HDMI cable and not the plug itself - the weight of the cable might be a problem, hmm, pffft, annoying.

Also, our new neighborhood apparently all love fireworks. I guess they're not illegal in this county (not sure if they're still illegal down south either, I don't keep up with such things). So around 9pm last night we had a very impressive 30 minute+ fireworks lightshow in the backyard. Two direct neighbors shooting off mega rounds of large sized blooming rockets in the air, plus other neighbors further away you could still see. It almost felt like they were competing to see who had the bestest. The noise was very loud and the smoke/smell overpowering. Hubby watered our dry, brown lawns for the first time (we were warned by one neighbor that this happens) just before,  just in case. It was quite the display for neighbor fireworks, something I haven't seen since I was small kid in these parts. I took some video but I'm too lazy to upload it. 😛

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Cleaning out the storage area at work today, found a box of carbon paper for a typewriter.  No sign of the typewriter itself...yet.

• Gasp! 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

10 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

C3CA1C1B4DB83E84E911E91F67D5B51B821C7247

4th of July has become my least favorite holiday over the last few years because of both this phenomenon and because so many of the people who most fervently celebrate it seeming to be less than my ideal kind of people. To all of those who are decent and sane still trying to hold the fort down, I salute you...but it might be a lost cause at this point.

Same

We've had fireworks going off in our neighborhood all week long and probably for a few days more despite the fact that they're illegal. I really hate these fireworks because they drive my dogs crazy, keep us up at night, and make my PTSD itch. Firework shows don't bother me at all because I know to expect it but the random pops and booms going off in random directions gets to me more often than I'd like to admit.

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21