What You've Done Today - Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.

majestic

I was up till 2am yesterday because of the damn fireworks. Wish people would just gorge themselves into a stupor instead of this bull****.

• Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Triple glazed windows are where it's at. We have the same **** over here every new years (the regular and Serbian). I don't particularly mind it, by my dog can't stand it so that just compounds the issue...

• Gasp! 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

I think fireworks can be pretty and I don't mind a singular show - I'll climb a hill to see a good city-done one - but I'll never get the obsession some have with them as celebratory thingies. I mean, different strokes and all that but doesn't do much for me. Especially ones that are largely just noise makers. And yeah, we get the constant for a week random pops and bangs as well, and then sometimes for a few days after the 4th too, no matter what apt./house/year.  Cats don't like them either.

Last night I did sorta feel like I was in the middle of a battleground, noise and smoke - not seriously, but you know what I mean - which was a bit surreal. Just not a common thing on that level in the West Bay Area vs here I guess. 

Edit: at least these guys were early do-ers and it was pretty much over at/before 10pm.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I think I've done pretty good overall with the interview interally. Sounds like something I'd be good at so here's hoping. Below is the new cat.

292402572_10217269160239625_359763315787

Edited by Calax
  • Like 7

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

2 hours ago, KP wants Blue Velvet said:

I was up till 2am yesterday because of the damn fireworks. Wish people would just gorge themselves into a stupor instead of this bull****.

2 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Same

We've had fireworks going off in our neighborhood all week long and probably for a few days more despite the fact that they're illegal. I really hate these fireworks because they drive my dogs crazy, keep us up at night, and make my PTSD itch. Firework shows don't bother me at all because I know to expect it but the random pops and booms going off in random directions gets to me more often than I'd like to admit.

I don't know if it was like this everywhere else, but in 2020 aka Year of the Covid, for literally about two months after July 4th people were lighting up fireworks late at night...every night without fail. Death to fireworks and those who light them.

• Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

31 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

I don't know if it was like this everywhere else, but in 2020 aka Year of the Covid, for literally about two months after July 4th people were lighting up fireworks late at night...every night without fail. Death to fireworks and those who light them.

The rona years have been bad in many ways, but encouraging this **** is one of the worst.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

My friend turned 40 the year rona started, and had to delay her birthday party to this year, and I've been trying to get the deeds of paksenarrion as a gift because she doesn't have them and she likes books. And she didn't want any of the typical silly presents you'd get for ones 40th. Anyway, I've been trying for over ages to get part 3 of the first trilogy, hardcover and in good condition, but it's been practically impossible. I thought I'd be able to buy them all seperately, so I bought the two first books and tried to find number three. It's been 2 months since her birthday, and I finally found book three.

Though it's in a collection with all three books. I had noticed it before, but I didn't want to buy it because it's 100$ and I only need the third book, and now I noticed another ad came up but in pristine condition for 200$ so all of a sudden it's affordable with 100$ for one 25 year old fantasy book XD

Now, I need to figure out what to do with the other books. >_<

• Gasp! 1
  • Sad 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Got busy with my screwdrivers today... a few weeks ago I bought replacement batteries for my old UPS. Dang those old batteries were just stuck inside 😖

With patience and disassembling it a lot more than it was designed for, I managed to get the old batteries out and the new ones in and lo and behold, I have an as good as new UPS to hook all my hardware up to ☺️

(the batteries were less than half the cost of a new, same model UPS, so a few hundred dollars saved by an hour of work :thumbsup:)

Edit: The batteries are only guaranteed to last for 3 years and mine were 7 years old, they stopped working a long a time ago

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Speaking of fun with fireworks

• Haha 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Fireworks noise doesnt have any affect on my wife, I, or the cats. We sleep like the dead. :lol: Which is a good thing for us because my down-the-street-and-around-the-corner neighbor must get his fireworks from the nearest warzone. I must have counted ~30 of those huge mortar launched ones going off over the neighborhood.

• Like 1

Did final interview, if this place extends me an offer they are devoid of ambition :lol:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

am working on a 1031 exchange for our soon-to-be-vacated rental property... properties? is getting confusing and truth is the point o' selling is to make our retirement as ez as possible, so the exchange option is having drawbacks. regardless, is a headache but simultaneous what we plan represents what is wrong with capital gains in the US. as mentioned many times already, capital gains tax rate is already lower than the income tax rate for just about anybody save those genuine impoverished. is why it makes sense for rich people to take so little income and instead have a bulk o' their wealth in income-generating property. 'course eventual the tax man gets his due, yes? buy an asset which is worth 100k and sell it for 1 million and you need pay gains on 900k. makes sense.

1031 exchange allows us to trade our real estate property but also starts the gains tabulation anew. if we exchange the aforementioned 1 million in property and then hold onto the exchanged property for a year, am gonna be paying extreme low capital gains rate and the tax is gonna be on only those gains which happened over the course o' a year. if property takes a bit o' a hit as it looks like it will the next couple years, then chances are we turn the gain into a loss which we then may hold onto for multiple tax years until it is exhausted by any subsequent irs or franchise tax board bills.

the system in its current form is decided not fair, but that won't keep us from taking advantage o' the current scheme.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

My life is a bit simpler 😝

Submitted my tax return form (took five minutes) and should get $1500 (Aussie dollars) back within a fortnight. Not quite as good as the Danish tax system though, where besides always being spot on with the tax amount, you also don’t have to submit tax returns (unless you have complicated investments or bankruptcies to deal with)

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

It rained all morning and the skies have been overcast all day. The silver lining it that it has resulted in a surprisingly cool & comfortable July day here in Cackalacky.

Lul6kCy.jpeg

A cigar and some delicious beer on the balcony, what more can a man ask for?

• Like 4

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

32 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

A cigar and some delicious beer on the balcony, what more can a man ask for?

To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

Metaphorically speaking.

• Like 4

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

45 minutes ago, majestic said:

To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

Metaphorically speaking.

Yes... Metaphorically. Metaphorically... :shifty:

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Since we have room for one now, we found a store that sells used/refurbished (or whatever) gym/and higher quality home version of exercise machines. Because I still refuse to pay $3k-10k for such a thing. So we got this older Precor elliptical that's taller than I am for $675. Pros: both hubby and I felt comfortable enough on it despite our height/size difference, the motion is very smooth, it is VERY QUIET/build quality seems great, it doesn't make my knees hurt, and it has a spot to hold the tablet/phone. Possible cons: the lowest incline setting is still an incline (although I think I personally prefer that anyway) and the leg "stride" length might be a little short for some ppl's desires.

The motion feels like a cross between a stair stepper and a stand-up cycling motion, if there was such a thing. We just want it for 20-30min. at a time sessions, nothing major. Anyway, for the price. even if it breaks in a few years, or it turns into a clothes hanger half the year, we won't cry about wasting thousands.

More importantly, now I don't have to go outside, even more. :shifty:

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

6 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

Since we have room for one now, we found a store that sells used/refurbished (or whatever) gym/and higher quality home version of exercise machines. Because I still refuse to pay $3k-10k for such a thing. So we got this older Precor elliptical that's taller than I am for $675. Pros: both hubby and I felt comfortable enough on it despite our height/size difference, the motion is very smooth, it is VERY QUIET/build quality seems great, it doesn't make my knees hurt, and it has a spot to hold the tablet/phone. Possible cons: the lowest incline setting is still an incline (although I think I personally prefer that anyway) and the leg "stride" length might be a little short for some ppl's desires.

The motion feels like a cross between a stair stepper and a stand-up cycling motion, if there was such a thing. We just want it for 20-30min. at a time sessions, nothing major. Anyway, for the price. even if it breaks in a few years, or it turns into a clothes hanger half the year, we won't cry about wasting thousands.

More importantly, now I don't have to go outside, even more. :shifty:

What !!! LadyC is investing time into exercise, Im impressed girlfriend..Im very impressed :teehee:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Started the new job today.

Would have been a lot easier if I hadn't spent saturday and sunday basically doing two 11 hour shifts walking and talking as a Handler for the Mando's at LFCC raising money for charity. Didn't get back from London till about 22:40.  Then was up this morning at 0600 to get sorted and train into the new place.

Still, the weekend was an interesting experience, and I did get to shake Simon Kassianides hand when they made him an honorary Merc.

292331758_368266282102949_22110900902423

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 5

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Well, got the offer :lol:  A bit perplexed as I really thought I bombed the interviews or at least didn't come across as all that competent.   The 30% pay raise is very hard to turn down, even worrying about the job sucking in other ways.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Malcador said:

Well, got the offer :lol:  A bit perplexed as I really thought I bombed the interviews or at least didn't come across as all that competent.   The 30% pay raise is very hard to turn down, even worrying about the job sucking in other ways.

Nice, what is your new  job description going to be ?

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Is pretty much the same as it is now.  First time I've actually made a move myself rather than the entire company folding or layoffs, so is an awkward feeling.  Ah well, as Hammerskoljd said "Life yields only to the conqueror. Never accept what can be gained by giving in.".  Then again, he also said "Time goes by, reputation increases, ability declines." .

Will be working with AWS, which is a plus.  I've told them that I don't know it in the interviews, either it doesn't matter a huge deal or it does matter and they just didn't hear me :)

• Like 2

Clouds, clouds everywhere!!

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

8 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Is pretty much the same as it is now.  First time I've actually made a move myself rather than the entire company folding or layoffs, so is an awkward feeling.  Ah well, as Hammerskoljd said "Life yields only to the conqueror. Never accept what can be gained by giving in.".  Then again, he also said "Time goes by, reputation increases, ability declines." .

Will be working with AWS, which is a plus.  I've told them that I don't know it in the interviews, either it doesn't matter a huge deal or it does matter and they just didn't hear me :)

Yes you should feel guilty, think of all the good friends you are betraying by leaving....what about all the Friday afternoons you have spent drinking and carousing with your work colleagues ? 

:teehee:

John Milton