The All Things Political Topic - Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is an absurd one

Gorth

34 minutes ago, majestic said:

That's what they want you to believe. Don't be a fool! #ITISFLAT :p

That would make things soooo much easier!

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

33 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

as usual, @Hurlsnot would prove a better resource, but...

How to make cross-curricular teaching part of your plan

just a rando interweb link, but cross-curricular is not new, though is likely unknown to more than a few o' us who did matriculate decades past. teach history & math or english & physics as complimentary as 'posed to insular is having more than a few educational proponents.

is a tendency for us older folks to respond to newfangled ideas as wasteful and unnecessary, and perhaps curmudgeons such as gd is correct. nevertheless, am not feeling particular threatened if material which would ordinarily be taught in a 1980s social studies class, such as the underground rail road or the triangle shirtwaist factory fire, managed to be incorporated into science or math lessons. 

our background most assured is not education, so am not suggesting cross-curricular is a good approach. however, am suspecting cross-curricular explains some o' the more ludicrous claims from the current gop regarding indoctrination via math and science textbooks.

HA! Good Fun!

ps  it's monumental stoopid to debate what the florida gop and other red state legislatures might be aggrieved concerning the teaching o' *add scary abbreviation du jour here*. w/o concrete examples, is ridiculous to imagine the phantoms being imagined into existence and then defend or vanquish such manifestations. that said, whenever presented with concrete examples, as the fox article we has mentioned previous in this thread, so far we has seen nothing to support gop fears. 

The truth is I am not going to to have an informed opinion on how best to educate kids. And I can see the value of crosslinks between hard science and soft sciences. Particularly when it comes to things like economics and demographics. Heck the entire discipline of statistics and data analysis cannot even exit in a vacuum. You have to define what the data sets are and the variables that affect them. But we are discussing pre-high school basic math here. Multiplication, division, basic logical problem solving process (algebra). IMHO the only way to master the basics IS to focus on just those without the distraction of cross study. There is time enough for that later. A students ability to master advanced math begins in elementary school. You likely only get one shot at them. If they don't grasp the basics you'll lose them in Algebra and Geometry and  without those they will never understand Trig or Calculus and without that STEM is closed to them. We (the US) are already lagging behind much of the rest of the world on that count.

I'm not saying it's a terrible idea later on. But, early in the education path I think it is. 

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

48 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

The truth is I am not going to to have an informed opinion on how best to educate kids.

same. is why w/o specific examples o' how cross -curriculum is being taught and in the absence o' any data regarding relative effectiveness o' traditional and insular teaching v. cross-curriculum, am thinking it is the course o' wisdom to avoid positing conclusions we cannot support with anything more tangible than gut reactions... but am quirky that way.

HA! Good Fun!

ps and again, is a distraction from the imaginary bogeyman the gop is using to frighten working class whites, tucker carlson viewers and bruce. 

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

1 hour ago, Gromnir said:

same. is why w/o specific examples o' how cross -curriculum is being taught and in the absence o' any data regarding relative effectiveness o' traditional and insular teaching v. cross-curriculum, am thinking it is the course o' wisdom to avoid positing conclusions we cannot support with anything more tangible than gut reactions... but am quirky that way.

HA! Good Fun!

ps and again, is a distraction from the imaginary bogeyman the gop is using to frighten working class whites, tucker carlson viewers and bruce. 

https://casel.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/SEL-in-Elementary-Math-8-20-17.pdf

SEL instructions for Elementary schools seem to focus on how students are able to focus better on studying and how to do group work and to link math to real world.

All things in that instruction sound pedagogically sound for me. 

• Like 3

going for irony again, eh?

whatever. some folks never get tired o' being wrong. while am able to block bruce posts, when another boardie quotes bruce, we will see those quoted portions. such limitations on blocking is a flaw in the system, similar to the inability to block mods. 

that said am admitted pleasant surprised by the absence o' your reflexive qq, clown and deflection schtick.

chocolatechip-cookies_300.jpg

you deserve a cookie as positive reinforcement, even if is a predictable off-topic adventure.

HA! Good Fun!

• Haha 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

2 hours ago, Elerond said:

https://casel.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/SEL-in-Elementary-Math-8-20-17.pdf

SEL instructions for Elementary schools seem to focus on how students are able to focus better on studying and how to do group work and to link math to real world.

All things in that inNoi struction sound pedagogically sound for me. 

No Elerond that  sounds very left and very liberal and very worrying....lets not start lowering the level of education for technical subjects like finance or engineering ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

26 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

@BruceVC I found an article about a San Francisco school that forces poorly performing 9th grade students into "ethics study course" and it seems to have good results:

This Ninth Grade Class Shows Critical Race Theory Has A Place In Schools (forbes.com)

Thanks, I will go through this link later after work. I would like to read good new stories 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

7 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

The truth is I am not going to to have an informed opinion on how best to educate kids. And I can see the value of crosslinks between hard science and soft sciences. Particularly when it comes to things like economics and demographics. Heck the entire discipline of statistics and data analysis cannot even exit in a vacuum. You have to define what the data sets are and the variables that affect them. But we are discussing pre-high school basic math here. Multiplication, division, basic logical problem solving process (algebra). IMHO the only way to master the basics IS to focus on just those without the distraction of cross study. There is time enough for that later. A students ability to master advanced math begins in elementary school. You likely only get one shot at them. If they don't grasp the basics you'll lose them in Algebra and Geometry and  without those they will never understand Trig or Calculus and without that STEM is closed to them. We (the US) are already lagging behind much of the rest of the world on that count.

I'm not saying it's a terrible idea later on. But, early in the education path I think it is. 

Ah, if only basic math was exciting enough to engage 8-year old kids by the numbers alone. :p

I'm going to address the last statement "We are lagging behind much of the rest of the world" first. That is tied completely to economics and poverty. It isn't the textbooks. It isn't the teachers. It isn't the curriculum. Poor states have poor test scores. States that don't spend money on students don't see growth. It is a cycle of inequity. This is, of course, a simplification, because poverty can change drastically, county to county, district to district, and school to school.

Now back to the SEL, or CRT, or whatever buzzword you want to give to teaching to the whole child and not just their number-sense. It's important. They are kids. A few will probably be really into the numbers and will thrive no matter what, but most are going to need incentive. They are going to need to be engaged. Representation is important. Girls Who Code is a great example of that. Ok, I'm on Spring Break, so I'm out of energy to talk about education. :)

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

55 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

@BruceVC I found an article about a San Francisco school that forces poorly performing 9th grade students into "ethics study course" and it seems to have good results:

This Ninth Grade Class Shows Critical Race Theory Has A Place In Schools (forbes.com)

The article is paywalled. Did you mean an 'ethnics' study course? But I suppose calling it 'Ethics' would play better with conservatives.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Through use of reader view

San Francisco Unified School District (SFUSD) launched a pilot program in 2010 where students were automatically assigned to an ethnic studies course if they had a grade point average of 2.0 or less. Around nine in 10 of these students were Hispanic, Black or Asian.

The course aims to provide “culturally relevant” content, looking at the role of different ethnic groups in history, including the experiences of marginalized groups and the impact of discrimination.

Although the principles of the course remain constant, teachers can tailor the content according to the ethnic and racial composition of the class.

An early study found that students on the course had higher attendance, grade point averages and credits, but, as with many other promising interventions, there was a risk the gains could be largely temporary.

But, if anything, the benefits seem to have grown. Students who took the class attended school for an extra one day every two weeks on average throughout the rest of their time in high school, according to a new study by researchers at Stanford, Massachusetts and California universities.

By their fourth year of high school they had passed six more courses than a comparison group. More than nine in 10 graduated within five years, compared with three quarters of their peers. They were 15% more likely to enrol in college within six years.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

9 minutes ago, rjshae said:

The article is paywalled. Did you mean an 'ethnics' study course? But I suppose calling it 'Ethics' would play better with conservatives.

My bad. I must not have used up my free views yet because I dont have a subscription to Forbes. And yes, ethnics, not ethics.

I'm curious how large those ethnic studies classes were, as well. Having smaller class sizes is such a massive difference in how I am ale to teach. My smallest class has 27 kids and my largest is 34, and there is a world of difference between the two.

5 hours ago, Hurlsnot said:

I'm curious how large those ethnic studies classes were, as well. Having smaller class sizes is such a massive difference in how I am ale to teach. My smallest class has 27 kids and my largest is 34, and there is a world of difference between the two.

and o' more relevance is fact what is being described in the forbes article ain't actual crt in any meaningful sense. mentioned earlier how well intentioned libs is making the situation worse by attempting pushback by embracing the talking point and slipshod vernacular o' the gop bloggers who made crt a thing. am gonna note how a linked study in the forbes article refers to crp and not crt. 

culturally relevant pedagogy

http://lmcreadinglist.pbworks.com/f/Ladson-Billings (1995).pdf

am gonna admit the methodology described by gloria ladson-billings shows just how limited were the study conducted, but we did find interesting how the great bulk o' scholarly work tended to focus on explaining minority failure as 'posed to identifying common elements o' minority success, and ladson-billings were coming at the problem from the more novel direction.   

regardless, for the crp efforts from ladson-billings, class size is not a relevant factor so much as is finding a culturally responsive approach. competent teachers who were able speak to engage their minority students showed success, if those educators in fact believed in the educability o' their students. 

the sfusd program looks to be an effort to systematic apply a few o' the lessons gleaned from crp research as 'posed to needing rely on individual competent teachers capable o' overcoming cultural communication obstacles developing their own schemes to promote learning o' historically disenfranchised groups.

HA! Good Fun!

ps didn't make clear, but creating a crp enlightened curriculum does not instant transform crp into crt. 

Edited by Gromnir
  • Thanks 1

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/04/19/libs-of-tiktok-right-wing-media/

I found this to be interesting, and WaPo is free right now so figured I'd link. Given the rash of anti-LGBT bills being passed it's interesting to see a dive into a social media account that feeds into this culture war. Oh and in case you were wondering, the person behind the account was in DC on 1/6/21.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

another unfortunate and predictable side-effect o' the pandemic, other than inflation, has been the rise o' rat aggressiveness and even cannibalism. 

warning: the following clip may be too disturbing for sensitive viewers

Spoiler

is exactly the kinda thing which shoulda' been anticipated, though perhaps some good may come from this if enough o' the filthy rodents destroy each other.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rjshae said:

Tell Putin that the expansion of NATO is about to Finnish...

puns, eh?

well then, am gonna suggest nato may sweden the deal before they is finnished.

and that effort at pun should last us another six months.

HA! Good Fun!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/18/2022 at 12:07 PM, Amentep said:

What I'm saying is that the "CRT" they reference is not CRT, but other items the people object to they're lumping as "CRT", like the 1619 Project.

Chris Rufo openly admitted that the strategy was to bundle up CRT into an all encompassing term to encapsulate a whole bunch of boogeyman things that they are against. If you'll notice the date this was over a year ago now and it's only really gotten more intense.

And I feel it has directly led to the current movement that anything LGBTQ is grooming. Just completely bombarding places so that it just dominates the narrative.

48 minutes ago, alanschu said:

Chris Rufo openly admitted that the strategy was to bundle up CRT into an all encompassing term to encapsulate a whole bunch of boogeyman things that they are against. If you'll notice the date this was over a year ago now and it's only really gotten more intense.

And I feel it has directly led to the current movement that anything LGBTQ is grooming. Just completely bombarding places so that it just dominates the narrative.

Its a pity people on the far right in the US want to take legitimate concerns with CRT ,or similar topics like project 1619, and turn that into discrimination against LGBT 

Never underestimate the propensity or appetite for homophobia from people. Its basically the only form of bigotry that is still legally implemented in countries like Russia, in several counties in Africa and the ME 

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

3 hours ago, rjshae said:

Tell Putin that the expansion of NATO is about to Finnish...

You not allowed to crack jokes on this topic, its too serious :lol:

John Milton