The Cinema and Movie Thread

Amentep

Gizmodo - The Dune Part 2 release date is slightly worrisome for Denis Villeneuve

“It’s fantastic news, but it’s also kind of a burden,” the director told the Hollywood Reporter. “The good news is that a lot of the work has been done already regarding design, casting, locations and writing. So we’re not starting from scratch. It’s not a long period of time, but I will try to face that challenge because it’s important for me that the audience sees Part Two as soon as possible. It’s not a sequel where it’s another episode or another story with the same characters. It actually has direct continuity to the first movie. It’s the second part of the big huge movie that I’m trying to do. So the sooner the better.”

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

So I will definitely agree that Dune has great visuals and soundtrack, and some very good actors sinking into roles.
The cut off point in the story is pretty much where I imagined it would be.
They've kept the story mostly on track. But, I do think it suffers in some of the things that are barely explained or just have a couple of lines and some off hand references to as basis for things.
So I think a potential struggle for getting the full depths of things if people watch it with no knowledge of Dune.

Now I wait to see what the 2nd part will turn out like....

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Saw LAST NIGHT IN SOHO.  Its a pretty effective supernatural thriller, I think (I guessed the solution to the central mysterys, but to be fair I have watched and read a LOT of mysteries; the others I was with didn't guess it).  

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Going to watch Venom on Wednesday. After the Dune disappointment, it will be a fun experience even though I don't care much for super hero movies in general or Venom in particular.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

On 11/1/2021 at 10:40 AM, Raithe said:

also, 'cause our initial response to morbius also hasn't changed in a couple years.

turns out am living spam. we need never post anything new... just link old posts 'cause chances are am gonna repeat self anyways. 

HA! Good Fun!

ps am knowing it don't fit the mood o' the movie trailer, but am kinda serious that a j.k. simmons/j. jonah jameson take on the morbius name has a chance to be movie gold. 

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

25 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Somebody go watch Ghostbusters: Afterlife already and give a review.

It sucks.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

37 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

Like...in an actual theater? :down:

The AMC theaters around here (are they even still afloat?) was super nice. Full liquor bar, electric reclining seat, and imo the best part...you could buy the tickets and snacks/drinks online and they would deliver it to your seat. But I hardly ever go to see a movie in the theater.

29 minutes ago, Malcador said:

It sucks.

;(