The All Things Political Topic - As a Bright Lord bears Beacons of flame.

Amentep

10 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

as a man with real estate to sell however this is making me very nervous. The difference between selling with mortgage rates below 3% and over 3% is substantial. I have a very important decision to make and I’m going to have to make it sooner than I would like.

this spring we told our remaining tenants that they could have until end may o' 2022 to find new accommodations, 'cause we would not be continuing leases. give a year after lease technical expires to find a new place were generous but possible a bit foolish in retrospect. 

'course now am kinda sweating it. is a crap time to buy but a great time to sell, and typical those concerns don't matter much if you is selling and buying at same time as the situation tends to cancel itself out 'tween the loss on one end and the gain at the other. however, am not a buyer. if the bottom drops out o' the market am most assured not looking to do as we did in 2008-2011 and buy cheap. am sell side exclusive... and tell our self a huge loss would cut our capital gains is not as reassuring as you might believe.

we weren't complete joking 'bout the smaug portfolio we mentioned earlier. am expecting things is gonna turn bad for sellers ( and just 'bout everybody else) very soon and am not expecting a quick rebound neither. am hopeful "very soon" stretches into six months and perhaps is delayed 'til after the midterm elections, but we need at least 'til june/july 2022. 

am serious not wanting to go back to work. wouldn't need actual do that even if our property became literal worthless, but if our ira also sudden tanked...

have taken precautions, but...

HA! Good Fun! 

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

9 hours ago, Gromnir said:

this spring we told our remaining tenants that they could have until end may o' 2022 to find new accommodations, 'cause we would not be continuing leases. give a year after lease technical expires to find a new place were generous but possible a bit foolish in retrospect. 

'course now am kinda sweating it. is a crap time to buy but a great time to sell, and typical those concerns don't matter much if you is selling and buying at same time as the situation tends to cancel itself out 'tween the loss on one end and the gain at the other. however, am not a buyer. if the bottom drops out o' the market am most assured not looking to do as we did in 2008-2011 and buy cheap. am sell side exclusive... and tell our self a huge loss would cut our capital gains is not as reassuring as you might believe.

we weren't complete joking 'bout the smaug portfolio we mentioned earlier. am expecting things is gonna turn bad for sellers ( and just 'bout everybody else) very soon and am not expecting a quick rebound neither. am hopeful "very soon" stretches into six months and perhaps is delayed 'til after the midterm elections, but we need at least 'til june/july 2022. 

am serious not wanting to go back to work. wouldn't need actual do that even if our property became literal worthless, but if our ira also sudden tanked...

have taken precautions, but...

HA! Good Fun! 

I hear you. That WAS a very generous notice. But IIRC some of your tenants have been with you for a while. I'm not expecting big jumps in interest rates. More likely a steady but slow increase. The Biden Admin will lean on the FOMC for that. They are independent but not above influence.  As for long term, the treasury notes will do what they are going to do. There is no predicting that. Kiplinger's had an analysis last month that said the Fed was going tp taper purchases of T and mortgage securities. That mean "probably" no big jumps in rates. 

My lot in Dyersburg closes in two weeks. The one in Brownsville hasn't gotten even a sniff. But I have decided to list my house and see what happens. That as not an easy decision to come to. But like you said (and I agree) if the bottom drops out it will be a number of years before it turns around. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Well I will say this about Biden. His administration has not done anything overtly unconstitutional that I’ve noticed. That’s certainly an upgrade. They don’t appear to know what the hell they’re doing on most anything. So that’s a push. If we can get into the midterm elections without any major legislative accomplishments and at least one house of Congress changes hands I’ll be happy. I don’t really care who wins elections anymore as long as the government is divided I’ll be happy.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I hope SOME legislative accomplishments are at hand, for the American people. It's about time you get some federally mandated worker rights over there, so it's not just based on who your employer is. Paid holidays, paid lunch breaks, paid parental leave, and more should be some of the goals to work towards:

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-far-behind-the-us-is-in-offering-worker-protections-2019-7?r=US&IR=T#the-us-doesnt-guarantee-pay-after-getting-laid-off-7

• Like 1

Bye, Maryland? Lawmakers in 3 Counties Float a Plan to Secede From the State.

Nothing will come of this. And that is a shame. I think counties should be free to reorganize themselves into other geographically continuous states by simple referendum if the new state is receptive. The democrats will bleat and screech about "democracy" until the exercise of it diminishes their power and influence. But they would and have act JUST like the Republicans with gerrymandering, voter suppression and intimidation if it is to their benefit. Never forget poll taxes and literacy tests was ALL democrat ideas. And both parties fight like starving sewer rats to keep third party candidates off the ballot.  There are no real advocates for democracy in either party. When they say they are they are just shoveling bulls--t and expecting us to eat it with a smile. 

Thomas Sowell

1 minute ago, Maedhros said:

I hope SOME legislative accomplishments are at hand, for the American people. It's about time you get some federally mandated worker rights over there, so it's not just based on who your employer is. Paid holidays, paid lunch breaks, paid parental leave, and more should be some of the goals to work towards:

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-far-behind-the-us-is-in-offering-worker-protections-2019-7?r=US&IR=T#the-us-doesnt-guarantee-pay-after-getting-laid-off-7

Agreed. Workers are now quitting their jobs en masse here due to long hours/low pay with little incentive to stay.

Makes sense really, some people make triple digit income staying home sitting on there asses whilst some bust themselves and exhaust their energy for 30k a year, so there's a growing sentiment of wanting a better slice of the pie so to speak.

Whilst I can't imagine everyone being well off stay at home lottery winners, I think this nation-wide walkout will certainly incentive companies to beef up wages and benefits.  The best things seem to happen by accident and through trends, not by careful design by some kind of higher legislative authority.

Jan 6 knuckleheads were told beforehand they would be pardoned

LOL! The irony of this just drips and it’s so delicious. What have I always said? Do. Not. Trust. The government. Nor anyone in it.

how do you know if a politician is lying? They’re saying something.

LOL I keep thinking about this and laughing. Imagine a bunch of people who are angry at the government, because they think the government is lying, disrupted the government because somebody in the government told them they could get away with it!

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

@Guard Dog

The NSDAP aims at the elevation and liberation of the German working population from economic, political and intellectual suppression and at a complete equality of rights for it in all fields of volkisch and political life... It rejects, therefore, as unnatural a combination on the basis of supra-nationalism. An improvement of the economic and social conditions can, on the contrary, only be achieved by bringing together all those engaged in work on the basis of the individual nationality... [therefore] the NSDAP is not a narrow class party, but defends the interests of all those engaged in honest productive work. The party is libertarian and strictly volkisch, and it opposes all reactionary tendencies, the privileges of the Church, nobility and capitalists, and all alien influences, but above all the overwhelming power of the Jewish trading spirit in all spheres of public life

Sounds eerily familiar with some circles here ;)

1 hour ago, Raithe said:

248179794_10157908821035443_267848933383

Or is that.. "cancel culture"? ;)

I imagine banning "intersection" will make it very difficult to talk about roads.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

I've come to have a partial understanding of the Trumpian platform:

1. Attack everything using extreme hyperbole
2. Be the craziest dog on the street
3. Ignore the science
4. Send more money to the wealthy
5. Blame China

Not sure where they are going with this.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Watched a documentary yesterday - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13622108/ the classroom scenes were interesting, cut off at an interesting part too.

Wasn't anything too earth shattering, although their interviewing some Southerners talking about it being the "War of Northern Aggression" was funny, and moaning about Union war criminals.  Seemed almost too on the nose, but there are people that deluded out there.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 hour ago, Raithe said:

248179794_10157908821035443_267848933383

Or is that.. "cancel culture"? ;)

I can agree with the banning of certain words like " woke" , "whiteness"  and "white fragility" and others because they  not real English words and have been literally created in the USA in the SJ arena 

But words like social justice and racial supremacy have meaning that are not about race baiting or selective views of a particular race  

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

27 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Watched a documentary yesterday - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13622108/ the classroom scenes were interesting, cut off at an interesting part too.

Wasn't anything too earth shattering, although their interviewing some Southerners talking about it being the "War of Northern Aggression" was funny, and moaning about Union war criminals.  Seemed almost too on the nose, but there are people that deluded out there.

You seem confused about history Malc, everyone knows the Civil War was actually the " War of Northern Aggression " !!! 

:p

• Haha 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

29 minutes ago, Malcador said:

LOL do NOT get me started!

Thomas Sowell

1 minute ago, BruceVC said:

You seem confused about history Malc, everyone knows the Civil War was actually the " War of Northern Aggression " !!! 

It all started when the union attacked Fort Sumter! LOL someone actually tried to tell me that once! 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Thomas Sowell

8 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Yes, one guy said the South never invaded the North.  Sort of curious how he thought stuff like Antietam or Gettysburg went down, to be honest.  I barely know any Civil War history beyond stuff I skimmed Wikipedia over, but geez.

6 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

It all started when the union attacked Fort Sumter! LOL someone actually tried to tell me that once! 

You should ask for the names of his history teachers so you could go slap them 😛

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

36 minutes ago, Malcador said:

and moaning about Union war criminals.

Was there any context provided for this?  I seem to recall this sentiment was strong around, IIRC, the similar conditions at Elmira Prison (24.5% mortality) and Andersonville (28.7% mortality) where only the commandant of Andersonville was tried but that's the only case I recall (unless someone's still hot over Sherman's march to the sea or something).

5 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Wut?

10 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

I can agree with the banning of certain words like " woke" , "whiteness"  and "white fragility" and others because they  not real English words and have been literally created in the USA in the SJ arena 

But words like social justice and racial supremacy have meaning that are not about race baiting or selective views of a particular race  

"I woke upon a cold winters day; the whiteness o'er the ground insulating the world in a blanket of snow..."

Yup, totally legit that 'woke' and 'whiteness' aren't "real English words". Also "white fragility" isn't a word, and frankly in the land of free speech, I'm not sure any words should be 'banned'.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

19 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Me too lmao. There are some interesting alternative facts about that subject.

6 minutes ago, Amentep said:

frankly in the land of free speech, I'm not sure any words should be 'banned'.

I wouldn't mind if "cuck" got banned from the internet tbh.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

With regard to war crimes and war criminals in the US Civil War, there was absolutely no shortage of both on either side. there’s no such thing as a clean war but that one was particularly brutal and nasty by Western standards. That was more so true at the end than it was in the beginning. For a couple of reasons. In the first two years of the war both armies were very well led and disciplined by professional and experienced officers. By the third and fourth year of the war a great many of the professional officers and real leaders in both armies had been killed off or otherwise removed from the battlefield. In the last two years it was clear the south had lost and the desperation of fighting on home soil cranked up the bad acts to an all-time high.  Neither army thought twice about flying the black flag. And yes US army “atrocities “ against southern civilians were both common, documented, and rarely punished. 

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 2

Thomas Sowell

8 minutes ago, Amentep said:

Was there any context provided for this?  I seem to recall this sentiment was strong around, IIRC, the similar conditions at Elmira Prison (24.5% mortality) and Andersonville (28.7% mortality) where only the commandant of Andersonville was tried but that's the only case I recall (unless someone's still hot over Sherman's march to the sea or something).

From his part in the documentary, no, but was talking about looting, destruction of property - which I guess is par for the course in warfare in 19th century (well ok, even now.)  - so maybe was referencing Sherman.  The documentary does have a certain bend to it, so I guess they would choose the dumbest things the guy says.  The guy was celebrating "Confederate Heroes Day", so at least I learned that's still a thing.

• Like 1

Just now, KP the meanie zucchini said:

Me too lmao. There are some interesting alternative facts about that subject.

I remember one of the history books trying to make it about states rights and economics, and everyone in class was like "but...states rights to keep slaves and the fact that the rich people wouldn't make money without free forced labor that slavery gave them!"

Just now, KP the meanie zucchini said:

I wouldn't mind if "cuck" got banned from the internet tbh.

Like a lot of insults, its overused to the point of meaninglessness.  And mostly seems to exist to shut down conversation.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

9 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

But on a serious historical note, the secession of the Southern states was illegal and as far as I know no state can legally leave  the Union unless its agreed by the Federal government or is that even possible ? Of course I cant understand nowadays why you would want to leave the union  but people do bring it up like Texas and  recently when California wanted to leave after the Trump victory. I can only imagine Gromnir and Hurlshot being conscripted into the "new California army " to fight for Californian  independence :grin: 

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/01/29/texas-secession/

John Milton