Random-Interesting-Weird

Amentep

1 hour ago, Hurlsnot said:

At least when I sub french, I can just speak in an outrageous accent. In music I just walk around hitting cymbals.

Percussion instruments generally get a "Neutral Clef" which looks like || to indicate that its not indicating notes or tones but rhythm (the exceptions being percussion instruments like the timpani or the xylophone).  Maybe some ideas to practice on here to bring up your cymbals game for next time...? :) 

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Not my recordings, although I do have some footage of my own recorded on my phone from a couple of years ago...

For some reason, Brisbane just loves these low altitude flyovers, especially with the jets coming up and down the river and then swerving in and out of the taller buildings. One video shows what it looks like seen inside an office building 😂

(it's usually part of the annual Riverfire festival)

Edit: My jaw almost hit the footpath first time I saw it with my own eyes (must have been about 4-55 years ago), some F-18's doing slalom runs between the highrises.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Surprised their flight regulations allow that.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

10 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Surprised their flight regulations allow that.

The only flight regulations I've ever heard of were "night curfews" to limit the noise when people are supposed to sleep 🤔

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Carhops in Dallas, Texas 1940

In the 40s, women carhops had discovered their tips could increase by up to $25 a week, about $460 in today’s money, if they wore significantly revealing costumes. One offended woman in Texas complained to the Fort Worth Star “we women are sick of looking at girls’ legs; we’d rather look at men’s” in an effort to force a change in women’s uniforms. Instead a local drive in responded by hiring “four husky young men… in blue shorts, white sweaters, and fancy cowboy boots” to serve women at the drive through.

3e2be23b24a4f6c0bca1f812c118069d5ae55a52

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

https://news.artnet.com/art-world/solid-gold-cube-central-park-2067281?

TheCastelloCUBE.jpg-CREDIT_SANDRA-MIKA-1

This morning, joggers in New York’s Central Park may have come across a curious, rather illustrious sight. A cube composed of 400 pounds (186 kilograms) of pure 24-karat gold, conceived by the German artist Niclas Castello who has billed it as a conceptual “socle du monde” (base of the world) sculpture for our time, was wheeled out to the Naumburg Bandshell this morning at around 5 a.m. 

Although the work is not for sale, according to the artist’s team, based on the current price of gold at $1,788 per ounce, its material worth is around $11.7 million. Flanked by a heavy security detail, the 410-pound work is set to be displayed in the park until the day’s end.

In a message sent this morning to Artnet News, Castello called the work “a conceptual work of art in all its facets.” He said the idea was to “create something that is beyond our world—that is intangible.” 

And so, as with all things in 2022, an accompanying cryptocurrency is being launched alongside the physical artwork. The Castello Coin, traded as $CAST, is available for purchase online at an initial price of €0.39 ($0.44) each, with an accompanying NFT auction scheduled for 21 February. 

3 hours ago, Raithe said:

I'm sure that the NFT will sell for even more than it's physical worth -.-

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

5 hours ago, Raithe said:

Surprised no one's stolen it yet.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

3 hours ago, Malcador said:

Surprised no one's stolen it yet.

Surprisingly, there are armed guards loitering in the area, and it does weight a fair bit....

On other matters of random quirk:

273043310_3069339729982216_3951436282938

37 minutes ago, Raithe said:

Surprisingly, there are armed guards loitering in the area, and it does weight a fair bit....

None of which makes it impossible to overcome for $11MM 😛

Funny story, my father used to work down the docks here many years ago. There are some amazing stories that come out of a working port if you know the type.

Gold bullion came in, and as cinema rarely shows, gold bars weigh a lot. So you'd basically have a wooden palette holding three bars.  The dockies had to pick up a palette and transfer it to the rail car next to the offloading area. The usual armed security there with the ticking and counting of all bars at each stage of transport. 

Dockies being dockies, they weren't carefully setting things down when it was that much effort, to if they could, they'd basically do a swing and drop rather than carry and carefully settle into place.

Everything is accounted for, onloaded onto the rail car. Security onboards around it, and it gets shunted off to a different area of the docks.  The dockies start to move onto the next job.  When suddenly, someone spots in the middle of the tracks, a lone gold bar.  Guessing there was a hole in the rail car and the throwing a palette in had broken and just dropped down.

While some dockies are blinking and looking after the guards and rail car heading off... One walks over and drops his hat on it.  The moment the car had disappeared around a corner, he picked it up.  Now, all this gold has been accounted for when it head headed off so, officially, it was still there on the count.

Apparently he kept it in the back of his shed, and every month or so, he'd saw a corner of it off, melt it down, and go sell it to a pawnbroker and then have drinking money and buy drinks for his mates for the rest of the month.

Too much hassle to try to get rid of that much raw gold at once, so he just.. simply used it for drinking cash over the next batch of years.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Raithe said:

I thought cubism was a thing of the early 1900's 🤔

'Baseball is dying.' 'What do we do?' <_< >_> "WE LET THE F***ING STEROIDS BACK IN! WOO!"

Not hugely behind the scenes, but kind of quirky interesting. And I'm kind of amused by their definition of "the top of Snowden"...

Edited by Raithe

https://www.wired.com/story/microsoft-disables-macros-default-security-phishing/?

Tricking someone into enabling macros on a downloaded Microsoft Excel or Word file is an old hacker chestnut. That one click from a target creates a foothold for attackers to take over their devices. This week, though, Microsoft announced a seemingly minor tweak with massive implications: Beginning in April, macros will be disabled by default in files downloaded from the internet.

On 2/10/2022 at 4:36 AM, Amentep said:

Ghostbusters sales reel made especially for Showest:

sometimes it bothers us that we do like bill murray 'cause is more than a few hollywood stories 'bout how he is a complete %$# &^%$#$# *&^$#@... &^%$# %$##@. perhaps he has mellowed as he has aged? maybe he does less drugs and drinks less alcohol today? would be nice if we could convince self he is no longer the guy he has so often been described.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)