What you've done today - There will be no dawn for Men

Gorth

It's easier to ngaf when you are directly employed for a company, it's another story when you are a contractor or worse yet an offshore contractor. There are usually rules for communication that you have to follow that are given by the outsourcing firm. This stops being as important once you work for a couple of years for the same client, but it's sometimes just easier to follow the rules.

I usually start off with Hi so and so, and if I get asked "How are you" I just fire one back to them too.

What's funny to me is that they really do start small talk by asking about the weather... I always thought it was just movies making fun of the office people, but no that really is the case...😂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

3 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Theres only one correct answer to "how are you" and its "Im good". Its just an icebreaker. Anything else and youre a psychopath. :p 

So when you ask people " how are you " you dont expect them to take it literally and offload how " the evil, Capitalist system has denied them anyway to achieve any kind  of sustainable economic  transformation "   ?

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

1 minute ago, Gfted1 said:

:lol: Exactly.

Though it was interesting to read Gorths reply. It was surprising to see that such a throwaway idle chit chat could have such an unintended effect on those wacky Europeans.

It is interesting and funny  how our cultures have slightly different ways of responding to certain comments

And the whole " how are you " can really be interpreted in different ways based on your EU country

I remember when  I use to play Ultima Online and I use to greet people in- game. I once was chatting  to Russian players,I think they were Russian or East Europeans,  I met and I said  " Hi.....how are you " and once or twice people responded with a " why do you want to know  " :lol:

Also sometimes things are misunderstood through translation but I glad its not just a SA cultural way of greeting 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, Gfted1 said:

Theres only one correct answer to "how are you" and its "Im good". Its just an icebreaker. Anything else and youre a psychopath. :p 

43 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

So when you ask people " how are you " you dont expect them to take it literally and offload how " the evil, Capitalist system has denied them anyway to achieve any kind  of sustainable economic  transformation "   ?

I've wondered if this is a case where the language and methods of salesmen overtook the greater generic greeting "How do you do?" (the correct response was, of course, to say "How do you do?" back).  However, a traveling salesperson (either on a wagon traveling town-to-town or walking door-to-door in a city) might literally ask "How are you?" to start a conversation as a wind-up for their pitch (particularly if selling anything purporting to be medicine).  Overtime, use of "How are you?" could have replaced "How do you do" as the generic social greeting to which a real answer wouldn't be necessary, only a response that acknowledges the two are well met.

No clue if that is what happened, but I do wonder.

• Hmmm 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

9 minutes ago, Amentep said:

I've wondered if this is a case where the language and methods of salesmen overtook the greater generic greeting "How do you do?" (the correct response was, of course, to say "How do you do?" back).  However, a traveling salesperson (either on a wagon traveling town-to-town or walking door-to-door in a city) might literally ask "How are you?" to start a conversation as a wind-up for their pitch (particularly if selling anything purporting to be medicine).  Overtime, use of "How are you?" could have replaced "How do you do" as the generic social greeting to which a real answer wouldn't be necessary, only a response that acknowledges the two are well met.

No clue if that is what happened, but I do wonder.

The genesis of these types of words and terms also interest me and I agree, I would say it goes back to the time of wanting to sell something beneficial hence the generalized " how do you do\how are you " and as you mentioned itinerant salesman would have used that as a  way of greeting 

But also the English language as we speak it  nowadays  is an amalgamation of different languages and cultures so it may be from a translation from another language and way of greeting that we just adopted ?

John Milton 

Bezos is about to take off into space....very exciting 🚀

John Milton 

13 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

The genesis of these types of words and terms also interest me and I agree, I would say it goes back to the time of wanting to sell something beneficial hence the generalized " how do you do\how are you " and as you mentioned itinerant salesman would have used that as a  way of greeting 

But also the English language as we speak it  nowadays  is an amalgamation of different languages and cultures so it may be from a translation from another language and way of greeting that we just adopted ?

Well its not just language, but social-cultural norms.  If it was language it wouldn't be as mysterious to those whose native language isn't English as the language would imply the use.  This is a situation where we understand the greeting as a social convention that defies the actual use of the language.

Its possible that its an artifact from another culture (although the likely suspects don't seem to have kept it), but just as likely to be something that was uniquely formed too.

• Thanks 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

12 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Bezos is about to take off into space....very exciting 🚀

Holy Smoke, its over already . I thought they were going into space but it was more of a rocket test .....very quick but still exciting to witness 

John Milton 

IIRC they were only going to suborbital space for 5 minutes or so.

4 minutes ago, Amentep said:

IIRC they were only going to suborbital space for 5 minutes or so.

Yes thats exactly what happened, I was under a completely different impression 

John Milton 

Realized I should start looking for a new job.

• Like 3

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

56 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Realized I should start looking for a new job.

Way ahead of you! Signing the new contract soon and starting in a month. Been in the same company for way too long and I wasn't getting anywhere for the last couple of years...

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Way ahead of you! Signing the new contract soon and starting in a month. Been in the same company for way too long and I wasn't getting anywhere for the last couple of years...

Congratulations on more money (hopefully).  Probably need to learn some new things here, maybe can finally learn mobile app development.  Either that or remain in fintech.

• Thanks 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

40 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Congrats Sarex!

Thank you. :)

36 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Congratulations on more money (hopefully).  Probably need to learn some new things here, maybe can finally learn mobile app development.  Either that or remain in fintech.

Yeah around 30% increase in salary, but considering my salary was decreased a bunch in the last few years it's less than a 100 euros more a month than I had at my highest. I could have gone for a lot more money (for me at least), but I really wanted to get out of the company so I applied to a couple of firms I heard were good and took the best offer.

There are plenty of fintech companies working with mobile apps nowadays, surprised yours doesn't have it.

Edited by Sarex

Well, to put it this way, for our application, being 64-bit is a paradigm shift.

Edited by Malcador
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Well, to put it this way, for our application, being 64-bit is a paradigm shift.

RUN! Joking aside my project was in Nonstop/Tandem...

Edited by Sarex
  • Like 1

finished sequel of the black hawks and start trying the sword of kaigen

immediately want to give up in the first half hour

the oppressive japan style might be fresh or interesting for some reader but was too painfully boring now

the black hawks was predictable but with some entertaining part

but with two major character bland as plank of wood

main character somehow couldn't stop making bad decision and lack initiative to do anything in most situation

two books of setup for a depressive sequel hook ending

the ride into sunset ending was pretty bad

main character remain and play game with the only villain with character development would be a much more intriguing hook

Pan-cooked a small salmon fillet for my 1st meal of the day. Was trying to vary my meat vs. all-beef. It was fairly tasty I suppose, but now the house stinks and for three hours I have had doors/windows/ fans going to try to make it not stink. And changed my clothes. Man that lingers forever and ever.

I have three more fillets. I''ll be pulling the outdoor gas grill out of mothballs for them, and likely going to stick with just beef.  :p

Of course ... I'm sure there are those who think cooking beef just smells terrible - do such people spend hours trying to get the smell out of their house too? It's all relative, right?  🤔

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

6 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

Pan-cooked a small salmon fillet for my 1st meal of the day. Was trying to vary my meat vs. all-beef. It was fairly tasty I suppose, but now the house stinks and for three hours I have had doors/windows/ fans going to try to make it not stink. And changed my clothes. Man that lingers forever and ever.

I have three more fillets. I''ll be pulling the outdoor gas grill out of mothballs for them, and likely going to stick with just beef.  :p

Of course ... I'm sure there are those who think cooking beef just smells terrible - do such people spend hours trying to get the smell out of their house too? It's all relative, right?  🤔

Well done for eating healthily or at least trying to :thumbsup: Keep it up 

Its always a good idea  to alternate your meals between meat and fish and you  normally have to accept the smells that permeate your home. I have always had extractor fans above my stoves, they not that expensive and they help neutralize various cooking smells 

But for me I love the aromas of meat and food generally because even with an extractor fan their is generally a smell which lasts a bit and thats okay.....dont use that to stop cooking healthy  food 

John Milton 

5 hours ago, majestic said:

01:30, still working.

Yep, it's been one of these days...

Do you get paid overtime for this, most overtime work I use to do in JHB on projects or SLA I  never use to get paid overtime but I could take time off which was beneficial and advantageous 

John Milton 

16 hours ago, Amentep said:

Well its not just language, but social-cultural norms.  If it was language it wouldn't be as mysterious to those whose native language isn't English as the language would imply the use.  This is a situation where we understand the greeting as a social convention that defies the actual use of the language.

Its possible that its an artifact from another culture (although the likely suspects don't seem to have kept it), but just as likely to be something that was uniquely formed too.

I was thinking about our discussion and you raised some interesting points. I agree its a social-cultural norm for people who speak English,  to generally say " how are you ", as  their native language and not about the language and thats what makes it interesting. It raises a different debate and that is what you touched on which is  " what else defies language in the way we speak English" and you can normally see this when you study the difference between how native English and non-English people communicate like in this example

An example that comes immediately to my mind is the appalling usage of slang and framing of certain  words from native English speakers. I really try not to use slang or certain  colloquialisms  unless its on the Internet where I am forced to and where due to time restraints its easier to say something like " Western\Capitalist " to describe something that gets used as an ideological statement or the word "woke " to loosely describe some  of the debates around BLM and similar discussions. But people on the Internet immediately understand what you mean when you use these words which is why I use them 

But my question is how would you classify slang in this debate and what is your personal view on it when it comes to native English speakers. I thinks it erodes and undermines the way we should communicate and its lazy and shouldn't be encouraged 8)

John Milton