What you've done today - There will be no dawn for Men

Gorth

59 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Believe? No, not really. Again, not quite the same as believing there is none. There just hasn't been any hard proof presented and I suspect people sometimes work themselves into some kind of self induced (mass) hysteria, seeing things, because of the way brains compensates for what they expected to see and are not seeing and then fills in the gaps for them. It's a mechanism that is so strong, that people truly believe they saw "something", because it's real in their brains, having generated the same input as if their sensory nerves had registered it. They could pass a lie detector test too, because to them it *is* real.

I agree that all  examples of supernatural phenomena can often be   explained  and dismissed due to  different forms of psychosis or other scientific explanations but this doesnt apply to all examples of this type of phenomena 

So for example  lets take the sightings of Bigfoot and the Yeti. If you follow  the science of paleontology and similar sciences you will see that man as we know evolved from a certain subset of a primate  like creature ( we didnt technically evolve from monkeys we see nowadays but their are similarities )

Also their were other similar evolutionary tracks throughout the world from primates that died out but we survived to eventually become the humans we are today. Neanderthals for example didnt survive but lived amongst side our ancient ancestors

https://www.scienceabc.com/humans/neanderthals-vs-homo-sapiens-different-species-or-subspecies.html

But their were several subgroups of potential humans so the reality of Big Foot could be from one of these groups that survived but didnt evolve in the same way. They survive and live in remote areas like the Himalayas and remote  places in the USA 

And why cant that apply to creatures like Loch Ness? We still discover prehistoric creatures that existed 60 million years ago like the Coelacanth that we thought was  extinct ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coelacanth

So I tend to separate Ghost sightings and hauntings which lack any scientific  evidence or proven historical existence from the possibility that Big Foot could be real 🐲

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

19 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

And why cant that apply to creatures like Loch Ness?

Hundreds

That's the number of creatures there'd have to be to keep up a viable population, and what are they to eat? There's not that much fish in loch ness.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

8 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

That's the number of creatures there'd have to be to keep up a viable population, and what are they to eat? There's not that much fish in loch ness.

Maybe they reproduce by budding clones, like some aphids.  And eat mud and algae. And have very very tiny appetites from doing nothing but lying in said mud playing video games while avoiding sonar and giggling.  :shifty:

• Haha 3
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

8 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

Hundreds

Yes I agree about  the specific example of Loch Ness, their arent the resources in the Loch to realistically sustain such a creature. Which is why I framed the point as " like Loch Ness " because this is not the only example of similar sightings throughout the world. For example in the DRC in Africa in the jungles of the Congo people have been talking about a dinosaur like creature sighted for hundreds of years by different people. And this remote area can easily sustain such a beast unlike Loch Ness. Read the link below that discusses this, its very interesting

https://www.icr.org/article/search-congo-dinosaur/

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

4 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

Maybe they reproduce by budding clones, like some aphids.  And eat mud and algae. And have very very tiny appetites from doing nothing but lying in said mud playing video games while avoiding sonar and giggling.  :shifty:

No need for sarcasm when these things can exist based on science and the evolution of  different forms of life  in the world:p , read my link on the Congo 

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

4 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Yes I agree about  the specific example of Loch Ness, their arent the resources in the Loch to realistically sustain such a creature. Which is why I framed the point as " like Loch Ness " because this is not the only example of similar sightings throughout the world. For example in the DRC in Africa in the jungles of the Congo people have been talking about a dinosaur like creature sighted for hundreds of years by different people. And this remote area can easily sustain such a beast unlike Loch Ness. Read the link below that discusses this, its very interesting

https://www.icr.org/article/search-congo-dinosaur/

Yeah, no, yet again - you'd need hundreds to keep a population, we'd have found credible evidence if there were hundreds of dinosaurs there.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

27 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

Hundreds

They could be distant relatives to the Australian Saltwater Crocodile, which can survive on European backpackers for a long time.

• Haha 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

1 minute ago, Gorth said:

They could be distant relatives to the Australian Saltwater Crocodile, which can survive on European backpackers for a long time.

Oh, never heard of that, but it must be hard to compete with the dropbears!

4 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

Yeah, no, yet again - you'd need hundreds to keep a population, we'd have found credible evidence if there were hundreds of dinosaurs there.

Again that is not what the article explains, their is no credible evidence because the Congo is a vast, unmapped jungle that is only sparsely populated by remote tribes. Its not like the Loch Ness which has been mapped and is tiny compared to the Congo. 

Its like the Amazon Jungle where their were tribes discovered that had never interacted with humans before

So you cant use an argument we would need to confirm  hundreds of them to keep a  population alive because we dont have resources to have confirmed this because man has not mapped the entire Congo accurately like the Loch Ness . Its the same as the Coelacanth, it exists and its real but we dont know the exact number because of how rare it it, that doesnt mean it doesnt exist

John Milton 

39 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Its like the Amazon Jungle where their were tribes discovered that had never interacted with humans before

You bloody racist!

I'm sure those tribes are human too....

As for the Coelacanth, that one is indeed an oddity. Nobody doubts it's existence either, because hard evidence was produced (fresh corpses, not just 60 million year old fossils) :)

Edit: I should say, nobody has good reasons to doubt its existence...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

3 minutes ago, Gorth said:

You bloody racist!

I'm sure those tribes are human too....

As for the Coelacanth, that one is indeed an oddity. Nobody doubts it's existence either, because hard evidence was produced (fresh corpses, not just 60 million year old fossils) :)

Edit: I should say, nobody has good reasons to doubt its existence...

Touche, they are human. Thank you for correcting me Gorthfuscious :biggrin:

John Milton 

1 hour ago, Azdeus said:

Oh, never heard of that, but it must be hard to compete with the dropbears!

I was semi serious 😁

https://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/stories/s709110.htm

German tourist killed by crocodile in Kakadu

https://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/2017/03/21/teenager-mauled-by-crocodile-tried-to-impress-backpacker-who-th_a_21903819/

When 18-year-old Lee De Paauw jumped into crocodile-infested waters in far-north Queensland on Sunday morning, he was convinced he would walk away with his bravado and the girl he was trying to impress.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/australiaandthepacific/australia/1411154/14ft-crocodile-kills-backpacker.html

14 foot crocodile kills backpacker

(paywall, don't visit)

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/nov/28/british-tourists-film-moment-crocodile-lunged-out-of-australian-creek-at-them

A crocodile attack that left a British tourist with a leg wound has been captured on camera in Australia. In the footage, posted to Facebook by Ally Bullifent, a crocodile can be seen jumping out of the water towards the women as they scream.

(poor lizard was taunted by tourists... didn't get to eat them)

Etc.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Again that is not what the article explains, their is no credible evidence because the Congo is a vast, unmapped jungle that is only sparsely populated by remote tribes. Its not like the Loch Ness which has been mapped and is tiny compared to the Congo. 

So you cant use an argument we would need to confirm  hundreds of them to keep a  population alive because we dont have resources to have confirmed this because man has not mapped the entire Congo accurately like the Loch Ness . Its the same as the Coelacanth, it exists and its real but we dont know the exact number because of how rare it it, that doesnt mean it doesnt exist

There's video of the Coelacanth.

The article is from the Institute of Creation Research which in itself lends it zero credibility. And a herd of sauropods would definetly have been found by now, even in the jungles of congo.

Got second Pfizer shot, so that's one task done.

• Like 3

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

7 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Good luck tonight.

Yeah, hoping have a mild reaction.  But hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I need another non-linear exploratory, can-ignore-story, casual combat, lowish learning curve (easy to drop in and out of) but with busy-work, item collecting, open world-ish, decent/pretty 3D graphics game. Base building optional. That's not early access or underwater/outer space.

Probably doesn't exist.

*turns on the TV again*

• Hmmm 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

43 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

I need another non-linear exploratory, can-ignore-story, casual combat, lowish learning curve (easy to drop in and out of) but with busy-work, item collecting, open world-ish, decent/pretty 3D graphics game. Base building optional. That's not early access or underwater/outer space.

Probably doesn't exist.

*turns on the TV again*

I can't think of a single one myself. 🤔

2 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

Probably doesn't exist.

*turns on the TV again*

Final Fantasy 14?

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

I don't do MMO's anymore either, although I've occasionally been tempted by FF14.

But I think my main problem is "I don't remember all those 20 different options and their controls ...  whatever ... charrrrrrrrrrrrrrge!!!!"

...which is why in Death Stranding all I did 99% of  the time was run up and punch bandits in the face. Luckily that was apparently ok.  :shifty:

Edited by LadyCrimson

I use Killing Floor 2 when I need short term gratification. Pop in. Find a server with a game in progress and kill zombies for 20-30 minutes. Alt+F4. Pick up some other day.

^  I play "annoy the husband."  Which ultimately is the best game ever.

What I did today... bought @melkathi's ebook. Lets see if there really is such a thing as not too short to save the world 😁

• Like 4
  • Gasp! 1