Random Video gamE newS

4 hours ago, Maedhros said:

I'll never understand why workers in the US don't want.....worker rights. These protests won't amount to anything in the long run unless they actually unionize. There is way too much exploitation of people going around in the video game industry, and elsewhere.

https://kotaku.com/inside-blizzard-developers-infamous-bill-cosby-suite-1847378762

The reason is that instead of being organizations that simply fight for their members' rights, unions have become fronts for one political party at the expense of all other parties. So naturally people who identify with those other parties are not going to be supportive of an organization whose purpose is to serve the electoral interests of one specific party (oftentimes even at the expense of their own members' preferences and interests). If unions became truly non-partisan, non-ideological organizations that exclusively fight for their members' workplace rights and nothing else, then they would absolutely be a whole lot more popular.

4 hours ago, kanisatha said:

The reason is that instead of being organizations that simply fight for their members' rights, unions have become fronts for one political party at the expense of all other parties. So naturally people who identify with those other parties are not going to be supportive of an organization whose purpose is to serve the electoral interests of one specific party (oftentimes even at the expense of their own members' preferences and interests). If unions became truly non-partisan, non-ideological organizations that exclusively fight for their members' workplace rights and nothing else, then they would absolutely be a whole lot more popular.

One could say that being political is a way to fight for your members, especially if you're in an important sector like healthcare or education where so much improvement is needed. I don't see why a "video game developer union" should be political though.

On that note...haha: https://kotaku.com/activision-blizzard-hires-union-busting-firm-as-workers-1847386654

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kanisatha said:

Surprised that any personal benefits they can get from the union would not outstrip any loyalty they have for their political party. 

• Like 4

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I have three friend is various unions (plumber, electrical, brick layer) and not a single one are there for the "political affiliation". They are there for the job security, ridiculously high pay, and great benefits. The down side to unions is their prices are x2/x3 of non-union companies, so naturally customers in need of those services gravitate toward the more economical options. They also like to protest in front of non-union business with a giant inflatable rat, which always makes me lol hard.

• Like 5

Do teacher's unions support democrats because democrats support education? Or is it vice versa? 

My wife is a public school teacher and was a registered Republican through her 20's. But eventually it seemed like voting Republican was a vote against her livelihood, so she has been a little less keen to vote red in her 40's. The Republican party doesn't seem to be in a hurry to change that.

As for the liberal bent of most educators, I know I've gone over this before, but you have a group of people that spent 5 years in college to take a job that is high on intrinsic rewards and low on monetary ones. Of course they are going to be idealistic and less conservative than the average person.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

I have three friend is various unions (plumber, electrical, brick layer) and not a single one are there for the "political affiliation". They are there for the job security, ridiculously high pay, and great benefits. The down side to unions is their prices are x2/x3 of non-union companies, so naturally customers in need of those services gravitate toward the more economical options. They also like to protest in front of non-union business with a giant inflatable rat, which always makes me lol hard.

Sounds about right for why people in SA are unionized. You have no idea how unreasonable and harmful our unions are to actual productivity and the ability for both public and private sector companies to be competitive and sustainable 

At least we have no unions in the sectors I work in which are finance and software ...thank goodness for small miracles :thumbsup:  

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Imo, theres pros and cons. In my neck of the woods, union workers do far better than "decent working conditions and living wages" and its a much sought after position. Iirc, they only test twice a year, and theres hundreds more applicants than there are positions available. You can literally be on a wait list for months / years. Thats why its not "what you know" its "who you know" but I digress. Ive watched my friends go from ~$17-19/hour starting to ~$35-38/hour in 5 years (journeyman-->apprentice so just imagine the jump from apprentice-->whatever its called) and of course they have great insurance and retirement packages. All good for them and union workers in general but those costs are passed on to the customers.

go to politics you proletarians

Edited by Chilloutman
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Blessed is the slave that learns to love the lash.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

2 hours ago, Hurlsnot said:

Do teacher's unions support democrats because democrats support education? Or is it vice versa? 

My wife is a public school teacher and was a registered Republican through her 20's. But eventually it seemed like voting Republican was a vote against her livelihood, so she has been a little less keen to vote red in her 40's. The Republican party doesn't seem to be in a hurry to change that.

As for the liberal bent of most educators, I know I've gone over this before, but you have a group of people that spent 5 years in college to take a job that is high on intrinsic rewards and low on monetary ones. Of course they are going to be idealistic and less conservative than the average person.

I'm in a teacher's union too but I will never vote D under any circumstances. The D's talk a good talk about education, but what they actually stand for and their education "policies" are the opposite of what will give students a good quality education. Yes the R's are not interested in the education issue (though I think that may be changing nowadays), but the R's not doing anything about education is markedly better than the D's doing something about education, because what the D's do to education is actually harmful to students' education. Do nothing is better than cause harm.

• Like 2

ok I meant go to politics thread you morons

• Haha 4

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Brillant Outer Wilds’ first and only DLC trailer:

Game’s director said that it will “weave directly into the existing world and narrative”. So it’s expanding existing universe, rather then providing stand-alone world to explore? Can I start feeling good about myself not finishing OW yet, and constantly favouring lesser, less demanding titles?

Edited by Wormerine
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Chilloutman said:

ok I meant go to politics thread you morons

More fun to talk about stuff that matters AND increase our post counts, I say.

• Haha 2
  • Gasp! 1

2 hours ago, kanisatha said:

I'm in a teacher's union too but I will never vote D under any circumstances. The D's talk a good talk about education, but what they actually stand for and their education "policies" are the opposite of what will give students a good quality education. Yes the R's are not interested in the education issue (though I think that may be changing nowadays), but the R's not doing anything about education is markedly better than the D's doing something about education, because what the D's do to education is actually harmful to students' education. Do nothing is better than cause harm.

Oh, she would never vote blue either. :p

I did mean to go back to the video game topic, or rather the unions for video game workers topic. Tech workers haven't had a lot of impetus to unionize because tech companies have traditionally paid well and provided sweet perks, and there was a limited hiring pool. Joining a startup and helping build it from the ground up is a high risk-high reward prospect. But now we have a much larger pool of trained tech workers and Tech Giants that rule the world.

So yeah, unions are probably inevitable.

3 hours ago, Hurlsnot said:

Oh, she would never vote blue either. :p

I did mean to go back to the video game topic, or rather the unions for video game workers topic. Tech workers haven't had a lot of impetus to unionize because tech companies have traditionally paid well and provided sweet perks, and there was a limited hiring pool. Joining a startup and helping build it from the ground up is a high risk-high reward prospect. But now we have a much larger pool of trained tech workers and Tech Giants that rule the world.

So yeah, unions are probably inevitable.

A professor in University said he admired us as people just used to do Computer Engineering for the money, but when we entered he was of the opinion that those days were gone, therefore, we did it for the love of the field.  Then he called us subhuman morons, so who knows.

• Hmmm 1

9 hours ago, kanisatha said:

Apologies. :)  I failed to stick with my own rule of not commenting on politics.

You did break your word....you bad boy !!! Absolution awaits you and it can be achieved..I know because I was born into the benighted world of  white, male privlidege and even I am on the path of redemption :teehee:

But its been scientifically proven that what makes people feel better is to buy BruceVC  a $100 Steam voucher, it works I promise you :thumbsup: Let me know when you want my Steam details, I just want to help you forgive yourself....Im all about the feelz 

Edited by BruceVC
  • Haha 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

On 7/29/2021 at 8:36 AM, Lexx said:

It's not just the US anymore. I know a czech person who is strongly anti-union with one of the arguments being that unions make his job worse and stuff like that.

As an 'Murican I'm witnessing a strange phenomenon at the moment: people are so used getting government checks at this point that businesses are getting very desperate and jacking up wages and employment bonuses to fill the ranks.

Looking like UBI is the new "Unions" insofar as forcing businesses to comply with workers rights.

Thanks Covid-19, I always kind of knew that good policies happen by accident and not design, at least in the U.S., where man made miracles are scoffed at.

Now if only we could accidently find a way for living costs to decrease xD