Jump to content

What you've done today - The Edge of Night


Amentep

Recommended Posts

36 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

I love the look of Rhodesian Ridgebacks. Ive never owned one but years ago when I lived in FL my neighbor had one. Beautiful friendly dog, but it would always approach me from behind. I asked him about it once, and I dont know if its true, but he said that the breed was originally bred to hunt lions so they instinctually did that. Always made me a little nervous when I would walk by their house to go to the pier. :lol:

Yes that is true, they assisted with lion hunting in packs and would disorientate the lion but didnt do the actually killing historically because a lion would normally kill a Rhodesian Ridgeback in a one on one fight but they are very good hunting dogs when trained  or raised like that 

My dad has had 4 of these dogs in the last 25 years. Monty, Bentley, Wilson and Winston ( bet you  cant guess what European country he identifies with ;)) and only Monty was  a effective guard dog and protector ....but he really was a proper guard dog. That is Bentley in the photo and to be honest somehow the Jack Russell intimidates  him 

So  all the other dogs turned out to be very timid and quite prone to get nervous quickly...but they are lovely dogs and very affectionate🐶

  • Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

I love the look of Rhodesian Ridgebacks. Ive never owned one but years ago when I lived in FL my neighbor had one. Beautiful friendly dog, but it would always approach me from behind. I asked him about it once, and I dont know if its true, but he said that the breed was originally bred to hunt lions so they instinctually did that. Always made me a little nervous when I would walk by their house to go to the pier. :lol:

Tommy was a Rhodesian Ridgeback. He wasn’t a purebred but he wasn’t many generations away from it.

  • Like 2

"The man of virtuous soul commands not, nor obeys. Power, like a desolating pestilence, pollutes whate'er it touches; and obedience, bane of all genius, virtue, freedom, truth, makes slaves of men, and of the human frame a mechanized automaton."

P.B. Shelley

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Today I made a big sandwich for lunch. I ate about 3 quarters of it and had to take a nap. I woke up and finished it. So I've accomplished something today.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Spent half the day at my nephew's birthday party and some time working while listening to the Puella Magi Madoka Magica soundtrack. Seems like a perfect fit. :)

  • Like 1

Give me the eyes, so I see
Give me ears, so I hear
Give me love, so I know what love is
Give me freedom to think, to believe
In something
                        -- Tony Kakko

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Saw a movie trailer on youtube yesterday, which looked quite funny (a movie called "Deadpool"), so being my impulsive, rash self, of course immediately ordered the dvd from a store. Should be here in a weeks time I hope. I noticed it has a sequel, but let's watch the first one first and then decide. If it sucks, it's the equivalent of 10 us dollars wasted, and my tears will dry up fast.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Gorth said:

Saw a movie trailer on youtube yesterday, which looked quite funny (a movie called "Deadpool"), so being my impulsive, rash self, of course immediately ordered the dvd from a store. Should be here in a weeks time I hope. I noticed it has a sequel, but let's watch the first one first and then decide. If it sucks, it's the equivalent of 10 us dollars wasted, and my tears will dry up fast.

 

Deadpool-Wolverine-meme-2.v1.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Give me the eyes, so I see
Give me ears, so I hear
Give me love, so I know what love is
Give me freedom to think, to believe
In something
                        -- Tony Kakko

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fixed the exhaust on my mothers car.

Exiting stuff.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Booked my appointments to get vaccinated, so that's one task done.  Also remained conscious thus far through my work day, so there is that.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Sarex said:

Straight pipe?

You know, I REALLY wanted to mount a 3 inch straight pipe exhaust-system on her little Toyota Aygo, it would've been absolutely hilarious 😂

But no, I just bought a new clamp to hold it together and stop most of the leakage so she could pass the CO2 inspection. :(

  • Sad 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Every time RDR2 goes on sale on PC I think about buying it, then remember it wants a 3rd party account/signup.  So I go "nope, still not in the mood for that."  It's why I'm not getting the Mass Effect remaster either.  Remember when games didn't need you to register for anything and you weren't bombarded with sales pitches? You just saw something on the shelf, bought it, installed, played? Those were good times.

And no, it's not about muh privacy - it's games,  not my medical records.  I'm just tired of everything (not just game services btw) being attached to a registration process and/or constant sales and "club" messages re: the "benefits" in some pre-play UI or in my email or text msg inbox or .... 

Maybe one day I will just give in to it all, but so far I'm still ... Get off my lawn, companies.  I'm more likely to quit gaming/the 'net at this point.
grumpy-sad-smiley-emoticon.png

  • Like 2
  • Gasp! 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just got into it with a guy not wearing a mask at Petsmart. An employee asked him to please put on a mask. He said the CDC doesn't require it. I jumped in and said it is clearly store policy, it is the policy of the county, and it is still the state policy. He told me to mind my own business. I asked him if he was too entitled to respect the teenagers who work here. He wandered off. Ugh.

Honestly I just don't get it. I don't actually wear a mask because of some rule. I wear it to respect the people I am going to be around that are not part of my social circle. I go into a store and they don't know I've been vaccinated. I teach in a class of students and they all have to wear a mask, so I do too. It's such a weird thing that a fairly simple act of caution and respect to those around us is seen as some sort of terrible tyranny. This guy was a full grown adult, not some dumb kid. Bleh.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

I just got into it with a guy not wearing a mask at Petsmart. An employee asked him to please put on a mask. He said the CDC doesn't require it. I jumped in and said it is clearly store policy, it is the policy of the county, and it is still the state policy. He told me to mind my own business. I asked him if he was too entitled to respect the teenagers who work here. He wandered off. Ugh.

Honestly I just don't get it. I don't actually wear a mask because of some rule. I wear it to respect the people I am going to be around that are not part of my social circle. I go into a store and they don't know I've been vaccinated. I teach in a class of students and they all have to wear a mask, so I do too. It's such a weird thing that a fairly simple act of caution and respect to those around us is seen as some sort of terrible tyranny. This guy was a full grown adult, not some dumb kid. Bleh.

The way some people get so worked up over having to wear a mask indoors is the dumbest thing I have seen. It's like simple courtesy is impossible for these dip****s.

  • Like 2

"I am the expert, asshat." - Hurlsnot

"You need to be careful, lest I write another ten page essay on mythology and how it relates to Sailor Moon." - majestic

"I won't say what just in case KaineParker is reading" - Bartimaeus

"Oh no! Is there super secret ending as well? I don’t care." - Wormerine

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, ArtistFormerlyKnownasKP said:

The way some people get so worked up over having to wear a mask indoors is the dumbest thing I have seen. It's like simple courtesy is impossible for these dip****s.

Some people want to find anything to be a rebel over.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Hurlsnot said:

I just got into it with a guy not wearing a mask at Petsmart. An employee asked him to please put on a mask. He said the CDC doesn't require it. I jumped in and said it is clearly store policy, it is the policy of the county, and it is still the state policy. He told me to mind my own business. I asked him if he was too entitled to respect the teenagers who work here. He wandered off. Ugh.

Honestly I just don't get it. I don't actually wear a mask because of some rule. I wear it to respect the people I am going to be around that are not part of my social circle. I go into a store and they don't know I've been vaccinated. I teach in a class of students and they all have to wear a mask, so I do too. It's such a weird thing that a fairly simple act of caution and respect to those around us is seen as some sort of terrible tyranny. This guy was a full grown adult, not some dumb kid. Bleh.

is noteworthy the cdc never required mask wearing. is no cdc mechanism for requiring mask wearing. the cdc offered guidance, and nothing more.

even under the unhinged socialist regime of comrade biden, there has never a national mask mandate, so cdc guidance change had no legal relevance.

as you observe, states, counties and private entities has implemented mask mandates, and CA has not immediate changed its mandate. 

mentioned in the covid thread, am disappointed by the mask resistance, but not surprised. were utterly American and depressing predictable the pandemic would lead to more than a few people becoming enraged by perceived government overreach, even when were private entities demanding reasonable behavioral limits to slow the spread of a deadly disease.

sweary guy: "it ain't the point of the mask."

'cause next thing you know, they are going to try and take away your guns.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Amentep said:

I thought signing up for pointless advertising grabs to activate games was what Gmail accounts were for...:shifty:

I sometimes use a yahoo address for stuff I think might be a bit suspicious, but want to keep, I'm in the lucky owner (ok, not owner, paying customer) of a hosting service where I manage my own email accounts, ftp, website etc. Also a place where I park a number of domain names I own, including my family name and some legacy game sites I bled a lot of money for to acquire, "liberating" them from becoming parking domains for cheap mortgage type links. I would rather see a blank, white page on those addresses than seeing them being desecrated by low life spam links.

Anyway, it enables me to create any number of email accounts for short term purposes that can just be deleted when I don't feel I need them anymore ;)

Edit: Ok, not quite true that I prefer blank white pages, but I never found the time to put up some proper memorial type sites for something I really loved playing way back.

 

  • Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gromnir said:

mentioned in the covid thread, am disappointed by the mask resistance, but not surprised. were utterly American and depressing predictable the pandemic would lead to more than a few people becoming enraged by perceived government overreach, even when were private entities demanding reasonable behavioral limits to slow the spread of a deadly disease.

Basically this.  Though let's alter it a bit and say that it's more like creating illusory facts and excuses on not wearing one so it fits their tribal narrative, rather than plain "government overreach".

I mean if they truly were against government they wouldn't even run for office, join the military, police, and fire departments so we're not that lucky. ;)

“If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other.” 

-Ulysses S. Grant

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, ComradeYellow said:

Basically this.  Though let's alter it a bit...

you don't get to alter if you don't bother to read the link.

"the alt-right and no-compromise gun folks aren't afraid of needles or masks. they is afraid of the government, but only the wrong government. the same folks angry at being forced to wear masks is perfect ok with the government stepping in and limiting the first amendment rights of big tech, or the voting rights o' predominant minority communities in pennsylvania or arizona. oh, and don't forget the muslim ban."

HA! Good Fun!

  • Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Hurlsnot said:

I just got into it with a guy not wearing a mask at Petsmart. An employee asked him to please put on a mask. He said the CDC doesn't require it. I jumped in and said it is clearly store policy, it is the policy of the county, and it is still the state policy. He told me to mind my own business. I asked him if he was too entitled to respect the teenagers who work here. He wandered off. Ugh.

Honestly I just don't get it. I don't actually wear a mask because of some rule. I wear it to respect the people I am going to be around that are not part of my social circle. I go into a store and they don't know I've been vaccinated. I teach in a class of students and they all have to wear a mask, so I do too. It's such a weird thing that a fairly simple act of caution and respect to those around us is seen as some sort of terrible tyranny. This guy was a full grown adult, not some dumb kid. Bleh.

In SA we have a huge inconsistency with our interpretation and practice  of the virus spread preventative steps , some places  still test for temperatures when you walk in despite it being globally known that asymptomatic people dont have an elevated temperature. But in all shops and businesses its mandatory to wear a mask, not when you sitting in a restaurant, but I dont personally ask people to wear masks. I have asked management to tell people to put on their masks because the worst way to convince a mask denialist to wear a mask in SA would be say something like " do you think you are entitled " ....people dont really seem to respond well to that argument or wouldnt understand it 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

Every time RDR2 goes on sale on PC I think about buying it, then remember it wants a 3rd party account/signup.  So I go "nope, still not in the mood for that."  It's why I'm not getting the Mass Effect remaster either.  Remember when games didn't need you to register for anything and you weren't bombarded with sales pitches? You just saw something on the shelf, bought it, installed, played? Those were good times.


grumpy-sad-smiley-emoticon.png

I have to be honest out all the reasons to not play a game as brilliant and captivating as RDR2  3rd party account requirements  would be my absolute last reason

As mentioned by others just create a spare email account that you never have to check or use unless its for password reset purposes and play RDR2....its the best game ever released by Rockstar and well worth it :thumbsup:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, BruceVC said:

As mentioned by others just create a spare email account that you never have to check or use unless its for password reset purposes and play RDR2

No.

7 hours ago, Gorth said:

I'm in the lucky owner (ok, not owner, paying customer) of a hosting service where I manage my own email accounts, ftp, website etc. Also a place where I park a number of domain names I own,

Yeah, I do the same/similar.  I have four domains I pay for, although only two are active on hosted servers, ones I've had for years and years. Dunno if you remember when I used to  host a little Kotor2 image gallery for this forums users? I still use that domain.  These days I keep paying for it largely to host my game screenshots and not much else.  I tried using imgur (hey, another registration! altho that type I understand more) for a while but eh, being my own image (or file) host is usually better.  =]

(Long-winded-ness starts here, skip if you want)

Anyway I used to have three emails I'd use for only online registration purposes (family/home emails do not use the same domain).  One finally got on a mega-spam list - email server was spammed so fiercely it nearly choked. So I deleted those and created ... let's see ... at the moment it's 45+ email addresses. Only a few of those are gamestore/company related, mostly it's all stuff like banks, hospital, DMV (US dept. of motor vehicles), game forums, Netflix/online TV, etc.

All those emails give me a sense of control/organization but doesn't reduce anything.  I certainly don't want create ever more for every small thing I could do online. If I did that I'd have 300 email accounts. Outside of Amazon I rarely buy anything online because that means I'd have to make yet another email. Disney+? CBS online? Photography outlet? Movie ticket buying? Register with every game company? I've tried to be with-it (edit: even finally bought a cellphone! That I never use). But nah. I've had enough.

I feel like game companies take advantage of people's hobby addictions to produce this registration culture.   It's (kind of) the digital version of when people sitting at a table would ask if you wanted to fill out a form to register for a prize raffle or something, as you walked by to enter the show (or whatever), which you knew was just a bid to get your information - except now you can't continue through the door to see the show if you say no and keep on walking.

To repeat myself:

grumpy-sad-smiley-emoticon.png

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I have made one useless hotmail address a long time ago that I use to register everything I don't care about with (and really never check, if anyone tries to contact me through that mail address, well, sucks to be you), and use my normal mail address for the things I need, i.e. electronic signatures, e-governance, online banking - and yes, various game platforms and online shops I use more than once.

Not that I don't understand, needing an Ubisoft login prevents me from making use of the free Watchdog games I got from Epic. Not going to register there, sorry Ubisoft. Maybe later.

But using a different mail address for everything? That sounds like way too much effort for not enough gain. Just use 10 Minute Mail accounts if you're worried about spam and really only want to be able to complete an activation process. Fire & forget! You can even use these to register with all the hentai games you want to play without your spouse finding out.

Or so I have been told. Really. :yes: 

 

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Give me the eyes, so I see
Give me ears, so I hear
Give me love, so I know what love is
Give me freedom to think, to believe
In something
                        -- Tony Kakko

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, majestic said:

I have made one useless hotmail address a long time ago that I use to register everything I don't care about with (and really never check, if anyone tries to contact me through that mail address, well, sucks to be you), and use my normal mail address for the things I need, i.e. electronic signatures, e-governance, online banking - and yes, various game platforms and online shops I use more than once.

Not that I don't understand, needing an Ubisoft login prevents me from making use of the free Watchdog games I got from Epic. Not going to register there, sorry Ubisoft. Maybe later.

But using a different mail address for everything? That sounds like way too much effort for not enough gain. Just use 10 Minute Mail accounts if you're worried about spam and really only want to be able to complete an activation process. Fire & forget! You can even use these to register with all the hentai games you want to play without your spouse finding out.

Or so I have been told. Really. :yes: 

 

What is the reason you dont want an Ubisoft login, I only use it  when I play their games and I have found it works fine and be unintrusive ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BruceVC said:

What is the reason you dont want an Ubisoft login, I only use it  when I play their games and I have found it works fine and be unintrusive ?

Inertia. My desire to play Ubisoft open world collectathons is far outweighed by the amount of work it takes to create an Ubisoft account.

Edited by majestic
added details
  • Haha 1

Give me the eyes, so I see
Give me ears, so I hear
Give me love, so I know what love is
Give me freedom to think, to believe
In something
                        -- Tony Kakko

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Gorth locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...