What you've done today - The Edge of Night

Amentep

^ You could hire hubby. 

...at any rate, re: windows, you just need black curtains. Multiple layers if they get actual direct sun exposure, because over time that will fade the black into brown/purple. If no direct sun exposure, it won't fade much.  So a couple white sheets, then a couple black sheets over that for example. It won't be pitch black (well, unless you go all-out with window coverings of some kind, like nailing boards up) but it'll be dark enough.  If too much light around window edges just tack stuff to the wall to cover those.  :P  Plus black curtains don't show up reflected in monitors much.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

1 hour ago, ShadySands said:

I'm thinking of moving my office from one of the spare bedrooms on the second floor to an empty storage room in the basement. I find the bedroom to be too bright because it has ginormous windows on the north and east sides and I'm a creature of the dark. The problem is that there is no electrical outlet in that room so today I'm getting quotes for having one installed. 

Have you considered moving to England? You'll never have to worry about getting too much sun again! :shifty:

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Ok, the great basement migration is back on after I got my last quote of the day.

My wife just got a new job and she'll be working from home a lot so she'll need some home office space and since I already have an office she wants to move into it. That sucks for me because she's the exact opposite of me, she wants all the light all the time. I figure it'll be better to give her my current office and move mine to the basement that way she gets all the natural light and we won't get in each other's way.

Sorry, should have given the full story in the first post but I didn't think anyone would care

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 3

Free games updated 3/4/21

46 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

she wants all the light all the time

My mother was like that - she'd leave the front-street living room curtains open all day.  There were zero curtains in the family room/kitchen. She'd enter my kids bedroom, cluckcluck at me, and throw open my curtains like I was a plant that needed sunshine. Then she'd leave and I'd close them again.  :lol:
Makes sense to switch office spaces if you have different preferences. 
============

Unrelated, but the convo made me wonder if I could take a picture of how dark my room is during the day if no lights on.  With the phone.  It's seemingly impossible because of all the auto-filters and focused auto-exposure phones like to do.  I had to put it on "Pro" mode and still only got sorta-kinda close - and the reflections in the TV look purpl/brighter when they're not.  Actually I'd like it a bit darker for watching movies/TV.  Need to toss up a new black sheet on each window I think.

It's noon when I took it.  Edit: if you have your display brightness way up, it's gonna look way brighter than it should be, too.

roomatnoon.jpg

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

On 5/3/2021 at 5:50 PM, Keyrock said:

LC confirmed hipster. :shifty:

On 5/3/2021 at 10:13 PM, LadyCrimson said:

*...waits for Keyrock to make another hipster comment  :shifty:

On 5/3/2021 at 11:44 PM, Malcador said:

Typewriters, PS/2 ports....lot of hipsters here. 😛

How did I miss this? Malc confirmed as Keyrock alt. :p

• Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

So I wake up to pounding on my door, I answer and its the local cops.  He's like "did you call 911?" I'm like "Nope" he's like "What's your number?" I give it to him as he's looking at his notepad and he goes "Ok you're all set boss"

A moment later he's pounding on my neighbors door and after the 3rd round of pounding he's like "Open up or we're gonna kick the door in".

*headscratch*

Edited by ComradeYellow

22 minutes ago, ComradeYellow said:

So I wake up to pounding on my door, I answer and its the local cops.  He's like "did you call 911?" I'm like "Nope" he's like "What's your number?" I give it to him as he's looking at his notepad and he goes "Ok you're all set boss"

A moment later he's pounding on my neighbors door and after the 3rd round of pounding he's like "Open up or we're gonna kick the door in".

*headscratch*

Do you feel served and protected? Lucky they didn't kick the door down, shoot everyone is sight, THEN find out they were in the wrong house. That HAS happened numerous times with no consequences for the cops

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

17 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Ok, the great basement migration is back on after I got my last quote of the day.

My wife just got a new job and she'll be working from home a lot so she'll need some home office space and since I already have an office she wants to move into it. That sucks for me because she's the exact opposite of me, she wants all the light all the time. I figure it'll be better to give her my current office and move mine to the basement that way she gets all the natural light and we won't get in each other's way.

Sorry, should have given the full story in the first post but I didn't think anyone would care

LOL after a few months working down there your eyes will glow in the dark:

image.jpeg.92f51573aa3f81362f6df84f16e48dc8.jpeg

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Got tired of sitting hunched over my work laptop, getting a sore back and neck from starting *down* at the monitor all the time, so relegating my current PC monitor to become external monitor for my laptop (and one of the spare DAS mechanical keyboards I have) so I can sit in a proper work position at home.

Bought a new Philips 28in 4K IPS FreeSync Speaker Monitor (288E2A)

No idea if it's good or bad, but my "budget" for impulse monitor purchases 😇 was around 400 Aussie dollars

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Looks to be a quality IPS pannel. The resolution may be an overkill for that size, I personally would have gone for a higher refresh rate.

Edited by Sarex
  • Thanks 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

1 hour ago, Gorth said:

Got tired of sitting hunched over my work laptop, getting a sore back and neck from starting *down* at the monitor all the time, so relegating my current PC monitor to become external monitor for my laptop (and one of the spare DAS mechanical keyboards I have) so I can sit in a proper work position at home.

Bought a new Philips 28in 4K IPS FreeSync Speaker Monitor (288E2A)

No idea if it's good or bad, but my "budget" for impulse monitor purchases 😇 was around 400 Aussie dollars

An investment in new PC hardware is ALWAYS a good idea....dont feel guilty

:thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

4 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

An investment in new PC hardware is ALWAYS a good idea....dont feel guilty

:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Sarex said:

Looks to be a quality IPS pannel. The resolution may be an overkill for that size, I personally would have gone for a higher refresh rate.

Well, besides being on a "budget", I also refused to spend more than a total of 15 minutes researching tonight, including which nearby dealer had it in stock so i can pick it up tomorrow (edit: and trying to figure whether IPS was a good or bad thing) :blush:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

1 minute ago, Gorth said:

Well, besides being on a "budget", I also refused to spend more than a total of 15 minutes researching tonight, including which nearby dealer had it in stock so i can pick it up tomorrow :blush:

Nice resolution you can  set, 3840 x 2160 @ 60 Hz 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

32 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Well, besides being on a "budget", I also refused to spend more than a total of 15 minutes researching tonight, including which nearby dealer had it in stock so i can pick it up tomorrow (edit: and trying to figure whether IPS was a good or bad thing) :blush:

If you never used an IPS you will take some getting used to the glow the panel produces. The positives of IPS are excellent color reproduction (calibration may be required) and great viewing angles, the negatives are relatively poor contrast ratio.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Got to face time some family members living in Botswana. They typically visit our family in the summertime so it has been a while since we chatted. Their kids have grown so much since the last time I saw them and they are in high spirits. It is good to know that they are doing well.

• Like 2

Spent the day trying to reproduce the unreproducible.  So gave up and watched some dude dogfight in DCS.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The weather is growing warmer and I want strawberry fruit popsicles.

grumpy-sad-smiley-emoticon.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LadyCrimson said:

The weather is growing warmer and I want strawberry fruit popsicles.

grumpy-sad-smiley-emoticon.png

Can't find any in stores to make your own ? I see tonnes of strawberries in the groceries here.  Dubious quality mind you, but still present.  Reminds me we have some from 2 years ago in our freezer.  My family members always fall in love with a foodstuff then buy a lot and then forget it before they use it all up...

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

2 hours ago, Malcador said:

Can't find any in stores to make your own ? I see tonnes of strawberries in the groceries here.  Dubious quality mind you, but still present. 

It's not access, it's the sugar/carbs.  Oh sure, like all such, if I ate one once a week it'd be fine but that wouldn't happen.  My self control usually comes from ... not having any such in the house.  :lol:  I didn't buy/eat ice cream all the time but if I bought a pint, it was eaten in one sitting.

When I got out of the hospital I was all "veggies and fruits, low carb, low fat!" etc.  And I bought a watermelon.  Apparently I should not eat watermelon (bananas are apparently pretty "bad" too).  Or a lot of the high sugars fruit.  When I stopped eating an apple or a pear or a handful or two of cherries with every meal my blood sugar went down/was more stable. Fruit hit me worse than eating a slice or two of bread, or a couple squares of dark chocolate.  So now it's largely just veggies/low fat proteins.

Anyway ... next time I actually walk-in to a grocery store I might try sugar-free fruit bars (Splenda) ... maybe they'd be tolerable and be half the carb/sugar content of most fruit bars. Amazon Fresh tends to be terrible with more specialty items like that.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Ahh ok, my mistake, thought you wanted but could not get not should not get. 

Thought I would get off work early, nope. Some random teammate pops up with "I have done nothing but am all out of ideas". 

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

Fruit hit me worse than eating a slice or two of bread, or a couple squares of dark chocolate. 

Fructose is a monosaccharide and easily processed by your digestive system. The reason why chocolate doesn't immediately raise your blood sugar level is beause the copious amounts of fat in the chocolate delay the absorbtion of the equally copious amounts of sugar in it.

That's why giving chocolate to people who are hypoglycemic doesn't help. It's not fast enough.

• Like 1

So if I eat a few tablespoons of butter with my fruit pops, it should be fine, then, right?  :shifty:

...but then I'd have a heart attack, especially since Type2 seems to keep my triglyceride levels elevated (even tho the other LDL/HDL #'s are "super great" at the same time...).  I can't win.
...vegies/small amount of meat and some high fiber bread/grains seems to be the thing for me. Some Type2's state they can't even eat a few common crackers or a single cookie etc but such doesn't bother me too much as long I'm not scarfing down a whole box every day HAHA

Mental note: Do not write lengthy jobs and force an update on the infolog window. This will slow down processing and cause the infolog box gain focus.

Or in other words, I just screwed myself over until the job's done running, because I can't do anything when a window gains focus every .250 seconds.

Time to get some coffee, I guess.

Edited by majestic