What you've done today, tomorrow and yesterday

Amentep

1 hour ago, Guard Dog said:

Poop

well that is really different from our catfishes...

catfish-monster.jpg

• Haha 3

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

21 hours ago, Skazz said:

Today, I wanted to feel less useless, so I volunteered to help with some grocery shopping for the elderly.

So I did. But now I feel useless *and* not very altruistic to boot.

Can't have it all, I guess.

On an unrelated note, I did my shopping in a large supermarket at a major street in Warsaw and despite certain countrywide restrictions (like staying 1,5 meters apart from each other and hard limits on the number of people inside), it was pretty much a chaotic free-for-all for everyone involved.

At least everyone wore masks, so there's that.

I noticed that aswell when I went to the grocery store in Gothenburg aswell, it was packed in there, and no masks either. In my hometown it's much more orderly, people avoided each other and actually waited a bit away until people had picked what they were supposed to and then moved in after, it was actually nice to see.

• Like 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I went to the grocery store. Met an old friend from uni going in. We were the only customers. I hear about packed shops etc. The most people I saw in a store at one time was 6?

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Discovered that the sport supplement store was open and bought sunflower protein powder (soy protein powder was out of stock). Unfortunately, I was unable to follow social distancing guidelines there (not enough space).

---

Jogged for 80 minutes (my new personal record), then walked for 20 more. I suppose, I should increase my physical activity, I did not feel well during the last week.

---

Jogged for 75 minutes, then walked for 30 more, because I misjudged the distance and my walking speed. Still, it felt generally good.

Edited by Hawke64

48 minutes ago, Calax said:

I am now 34...

I feel old

Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday dear Calax. Happy birthday to you! Hope it was a good one! 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

3 hours ago, Calax said:

I am now 34...

I feel old

Happy Birthday Calax, you know how you can feel much better about  your age ...imagine being  45/46, like me, and then ask how you would feel :-. The truth about getting older  is its all good and has its own benefits , you just want to try to have as few regrets and or missed opportunities as possible. We all make mistakes in life and do indeed have regrets but try hard  to not repeat mistakes and always remember you made certain choices at a specific moment in time that seemed correct under those circumstances ...hindsight is 20/20 but this cannot be used to  create anxiety about the past choices...this saying should be seen as instructive going forward only 

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

On 4/17/2020 at 4:11 PM, Skazz said:

Today, I wanted to feel less useless, so I volunteered to help with some grocery shopping for the elderly.

So I did. But now I feel useless *and* not very altruistic to boot.

I have huge respect for people who during the virus help with deeds like you did with assisting elderly people with shopping,  this is a good things and deserves kudos

But why would you feel more useless and less altruistic about this, I am confused as you are doing something very constructive in your own way?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

4 hours ago, Calax said:

I am now 34...

I feel old

Just wait until you hit 35.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

4 hours ago, Calax said:

I am now 34...

I feel old

Happy birthday! 😃

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

8 hours ago, Calax said:

I am now 34...

I feel old

Happy birthday!

4 hours ago, BruceVC said:

But why would you feel more useless and less altruistic about this, I am confused as you are doing something very constructive in your own way?

I guess multiple things contribute to the former. I've been struggling with depression for years, and it has left me with an overpowering sense of guilt and wasted time, something I feel I could have avoided if I had been smarter or more proactive. My life situation went on a rather steep downhill slope in recent months and it doesn't look like it's going to improve anytime soon (hello, Corona). The fact that the world is in lockdown and I'm forced to simmer in all of this day by day really doesn't help things. It's a spiral, and while I'm not suicidal or anything, it certainly feels like an epilogue.

The latter... well. It's going to sound horrible, but I've realized that - deep down - I wasn't doing these things to help people. I was doing them so that I could feel better. So that I could pat myself on the back and come back home thinking myself a better human being. It was about me wanting to feel less useless, and these elderly people were just a backdrop for my ego boost.

I know it's laughable, but I like to believe that people are fundamentally good at heart. I dislike cynicism, and I've always rejected the notion that nobody is truly altruistic.

Right now? I still believe that people can be altruistic, but I've also learned that I, myself, am not. And it's not a pleasant epiphany.

(I'm sorry if this got long-winded. It wasn't meant to be an attention-seeking rant, I swear.)

Edited by Skazz
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Skazz said:

I guess multiple things contribute to the former. I've been struggling with depression for years, and it has left me with an overpowering sense of guilt and wasted time, something I feel I could have avoided if I had been smarter or more proactive. My life situation went on a rather steep downhill slope in recent months and it doesn't look like it's going to improve anytime soon (hello, Corona). The fact that the world is in lockdown and I'm forced to simmer in all of this day by day really doesn't help things. It's a spiral, and while I'm not suicidal or anything, it certainly feels like an epilogue.

The latter... well. It's going to sound horrible, but I've realized that - deep down - I wasn't doing these things to help people. I was doing them so that I could feel better. So that I can pat myself on the back and come back home thinking myself a better human being. It was about me wanting to feel less useless, and these elderly people were just a backdrop for my ego boost.

I know it's laughable, but like to believe that people are fundamentally good at heart. I dislike cynicism, and I've always rejected the notion that nobody is truly altruistic.

Right now? I still believe that people can be altruistic, but I've also learned that I, myself, am not. And it's not a pleasant epiphany.

(I'm sorry if this got long-winded. It wasn't meant to be an attention-seeking rant, I swear.)

These people still benefited, regardless of the reasons why you helped them. It is fine to feel good knowing that they might feel somehow better because of you.

I can't say anything about depression.

Spoiler

(I'm terrible at social interactions, sorry).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Skazz said:

Happy birthday!

The latter... well. It's going to sound horrible, but I've realized that - deep down - I wasn't doing these things to help people. I was doing them so that I could feel better. So that I could pat myself on the back and come back home thinking myself a better human being. It was about me wanting to feel less useless, and these elderly people were just a backdrop for my ego boost.

I know it's laughable, but I like to believe that people are fundamentally good at heart. I dislike cynicism, and I've always rejected the notion that nobody is truly altruistic.

Firstly thank you for sharing, I dont think your post is long-winded at all. Its honest, sensitive and makes perfect sense. I think many people share your experience and feelings especially at the moment

I also believe people are fundamentally good and most people really try to right thing in these   difficult circumstances and various life experiences 

This virus has made all us reflect on many things which include our choices and things we have done in the past. Sometimes we will ruminate on how these past choices have shaped our current lives. My view is you cannot change the past and all of us can continue to regret things but end of the day only one question really matters...  " what are we going to do going forward " 

So my advice is try hard to not  worry at the moment about past mistakes because realistically the virus gives us limited options but continue to do things that are altruistic as they do matter and there are always people we can help in this dark times, like the elderly 8)

Once the virus is over then make those choices that can change your personal life 

• Like 2

John Milton 

I love Tennessee in spring. The weather is clear and cool, not a cloud in the sky. Everything is bright green. The coyotes are back in the Hatchee river bottom. During the winter you never hear from them. I think they move north into the upper part of Anderson Tully. Well, wherever they go they are back now. They can be a pest. Sometimes you have to do something about them. But I really love just listening to them.

I've got a conference call at 9. About two hours of work to do, and then the rest of the day I'm going to spend playing Stellaris.  

• Like 4

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Happy Birthday Calax!!!!

4 hours ago, Skazz said:

I think this, and receiving kudos, is the driving motivation of most braggarts (not referring to you). Did it even happen if it wasnt posted about? :lol:

But its not a binary thing. Do what you can, love and support those in your life like your family and friends...you dont have to go work the soup kitchen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Hawke64 said:

These people still benefited, regardless of the reasons why you helped them. It is fine to feel good knowing that they might feel somehow better because of you.

I can't say anything about depression.

Reveal hidden contents

(I'm terrible at social interactions, sorry).

we know a woman who helps at local food bank. describe her as religious is understatement. goes to church multiple times a week as well as bible study. in addition to food bank and homeless school volunteering, she also mentors recent immigrants as part o' an esl program run through local public libraries. 

some couple years ago we heard her reference "those people" when describing homeless people who were not taking advantage o' assistance programs. probable shoulda' ignored the comment but we were curious, so we kinda questioned her 'bout her pov on homeless. turns out the woman is a bit o' a bigot who has strong opinions 'bout various minority groups and is dismissive o' mental health problems.

we had a knee-jerk reaction where we were internal thinking o' her as a hypocrite.

then we reflected a bit and realized this were one o' those fu Gromnir moments. (have these moments frequent as we age) didn't matter if the woman were being charitable 'cause she thought it would get her into heaven or 'cause she wanted the praise o' her fellow bible study members. this woman were spending much time and effort helping people to whom she owed nothing. family members is often the folks is hardest to help, but even so there is practical reasons for doing so. helping strangers is different. hypocrite religious lady were/is helping people she, on some level, disliked. every week and month after month and year after year, this woman who kinda despised the homeless and were prejudiced towards numerous minority groups, did her honest best to make better the lives o' less fortunate people. Gromnir criticism were misplaced and embarrassing in retrospect.

not donating time to charitable causes such as soup kitchens and shelters for battered women is hardly some kinda indicator that you are a bad person. can be generous in smaller and more immediate ways. ordinary acts o' kindness add up, or so we believe. go and volunteer at a food bank but be an evil bastard to everybody you meet is seeming like a net loss to Gromnir as well, but such questions is beyond us.

motivations is not insignificant, but such is 'tween you and your conscience. what you do is what matters and for us is most fundamental 'bout choice. we choose. doesn't matter what others think 'cause is our choice. 

*descends from soap box*

HA! Good Fun!

ps keep in mind we ain't suggesting it is ok to be a bigot as long as you donate time for good causes. bigotry is like a virus and it spreads insidious. however, just 'cause religious lady is a bigot does not change fact she is doing something good, doing more than far too many sjw using social media to be proselytizing the evils 'bout which religious lady is actual doing something to make a real difference.

Edited by Gromnir
ps
  • Thanks 3
  • Hmmm 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

On 4/21/2020 at 10:20 AM, Calax said:

I am now 34...

I feel old

Don't you feel old me! :bat:

Happy birthday Calax 🎂🎁

• Thanks 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Currently living in the surreal land of Zoom and MS Teams ... not special or anything, it's just where the Roost seems to be in this digitised new way of being ...

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

@Skazz

kinda a ps:

one o' the people for whom we has been shopping has set our teeth on edge. bite into aluminum foil with a metal filling edge worthy.  she wants what she wants. only wants motts brand applesauce, but she expects us to call her from the store if they do not have motts so we may tell her what brands they do have. angie's boomchikapop popcorn is a thing at costco- who knew? 'course there is multiple varieties. no specific variety on the list provided which means Gromnir needs call _______ to get clarification on what variety she wants. buy eggs from winco for ________. we only went to winco 'cause is __________ favorite store. ________ wants 2x 18 count large eggs. sure, limit is one per customer, and she knows this, but am buying groceries for five folks so am able to sneak this past the egg police. however, 'pon making our delivery it is discovered one egg carton has broken egg bits on the OUTSIDE o' the container and _________ insists she is gonna drive back to the store (a +20 minute drive for a woman with cancer) to get a replacement, so we literal drive to the more geographical proximate store for eggs to get an 18-count carton for her and we take the befouled eggs. 

not every old person, but more than one, channels a bit o' eddie murphy from the snl family in the attic skit.

am not gonna condemn anybody who throws in the towel after shopping for old people... and Gromnir is +50.  

HA! Good Fun!

• Sad 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

2 hours ago, Gromnir said:

one o' the people for whom we has been shopping has set our teeth on edge. bite into aluminum foil with a metal filling edge worthy.  she wants what she wants. only wants motts brand applesauce, but she expects us to call her from the store if they do not have motts so we may tell her what brands they do have. angie's boomchikapop popcorn is a thing at costco- who knew? 'course there is multiple varieties. no specific variety on the list provided which means Gromnir needs call _______ to get clarification on what variety she wants. buy eggs from winco for ________. we only went to winco 'cause is __________ favorite store. ________ wants 2x 18 count large eggs. sure, limit is one per customer, and she knows this, but am buying groceries for five folks so am able to sneak this past the egg police. however, 'pon making our delivery it is discovered one egg carton has broken egg bits on the OUTSIDE o' the container and _________ insists she is gonna drive back to the store (a +20 minute drive for a woman with cancer) to get a replacement, so we literal drive to the more geographical proximate store for eggs to get an 18-count carton for her and we take the befouled eggs.

Wow. To be honest, I was dreading that something like this might happen, but thankfully, the people I've been delivering to have been lovely so far. Sure, there was one lady who wasn't happy that a detailed product list hadn't been included inside the bag, but other than that, no bumps. Very timid, very polite.

And as weird as it may sound, I actually prefer it when they don't get too, uh, expressive in their gratitude. Guilt stings.

2 hours ago, Gromnir said:

am not gonna condemn anybody who throws in the towel after shopping for old people... and Gromnir is +50. 

I've decided to continue with the shopping, so I hope that if/when the picky people start appearing, my patience will be comparable to yours. Which I doubt, but anyhow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Gromnir said:

My mother is pretty much this, hah.  On the bright side, she has given me experience to tolerate and cope with corporate life.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

When school was put on hold, I decided to start a little RPG Maker project to teach about the next unit. It of course ended up taking way more hours than I expected to put together, and my spring break last week was consumed by the project, but I managed to finish. It's a bit loose with the historical timeline, but it's meant to be a fun diversion about the Renaissance, Reformation, and Scientific Revolution. I hosted a browser version here: https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/753261?updated=1587576382

Be nice, it's for the kids. :p

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

It's a bit loose with the historical timeline,

More leftist SJW rewriting of history!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

50 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

When school was put on hold, I decided to start a little RPG Maker project to teach about the next unit. It of course ended up taking way more hours than I expected to put together, and my spring break last week was consumed by the project, but I managed to finish. It's a bit loose with the historical timeline, but it's meant to be a fun diversion about the Renaissance, Reformation, and Scientific Revolution. I hosted a browser version here: https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/753261?updated=1587576382

Be nice, it's for the kids. :p

You know you could just force the kids to get Bannerlord and recreate the fall of Constantinople, right?

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif