Is this news about Pillars 3?

Seems that way. It was mentioned before that Obsidian is working on two projects outside the OuterWorlds, so it would make sense for one of the is Pillars related. Whenever it is straight up PoE3, or if series will take a turn after Deadfire remains to be seen. 

After I'd pledged to Deadfire, I figured I was being loyal to a brand that had done right by me in the past.  I would not have pledged anything more than base to Pillars 3.  Now, to my chagrin, I've discovered a time sink in Deadfire, a most excellent game.  Just amazing.  I will buy Outer Worlds sight unseen for various reasons, one of which is the fact that it looks interesting.  I would sink in even more money into Pillars 3 simply because of how much I've enjoyed Pillars of Eternity 2.

• Like 2

"Not for the sake of much time..."

I hope if there is another main Pillars game it jumps forward to Eora Industrialization, significantly alters the system to be turn-based and classless, and is as mod-friendly as DOS2 is.

• Hmmm 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Turn based:  Check!

I tried Divinity Original Sin 2, but it just didn't do it for me.  Maybe I'm too old school and feel the need for classes.  In pretty much every respect, I prefer Deadfire, which is ironic since I had it in my library when I bought and played through Divinity for several hours.  So, the best part of Divinity from my perspective is that I ended revisiting Deadfire because of it.

Note, I'm not attacking DOS2.  I just prefer Deadfire.  Also, if I missed sarcastic subtext, I humbly beg pardon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ArnoldRimmer said:

i would be happy with PoE1 rereleased with the deadfire engine

Yes and no.

I'd be all for the graphical updates, but as there are spells (possibly also monsters?) that do not reappear in Deadfire, they'd have to redo them specifically for the port—quite a bit of work for a re-release, so I'm not holding my breath.

I would not be as enthusiastic about mechanical changes. The first game was balanced around no multiclassing (which by the way would render the multiclass talents utterly redundant), no subclasses, per-rest spells, six skills, and DR mechanics. Changing all that to Deadfire's rules would require extensive, painstaking rebalancing of every in-game area and encounter, which I doubt would happen (much like it didn't happen in BG:EE; I can excuse Tutu/BGT as they were developed for free by modders who contributed their free time to the project.)

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 2

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I hope they not gonna waste time and resources on Turn Based and just polish the RTWP combat something they haven't done in first two games so then there is no need for turn based. 

Maybe now with Microsofts foot on their neck they gonna have to polish the games before releasing last patch and dropping them for good, one can only hope.

Edited by 3x0du5

My guess is that they working on one of everything: TOW2 (all the first-person combat related hiring they've been doing), PoE3 (all the isometric hiring), and a completely new IP project (Sawyer's ?).

For PoE3, though, it had better be RTwP. I'm getting tired of people insisting on and demanding that every cRPG made these days be TB. TOW is TB; I would guess a new IP game would also be TB; everything doesn't need to be TB.

45 minutes ago, MedicineDan said:

I'm playing Deadfire turn based right now.  Why wouldn't they give the same option as they do now?

If they did that would be fine. But I doubt it because incorporating both into the game from the ground up would likely be both complicated and costly. But now that they have MS's money maybe the cost issue is not an issue.

25 minutes ago, draego said:

Ye sawyer mentioned in a talk he was working on a game right now. He mentioned it in  GameDev Days Graz 2019 video on 9/6. also said it was nonviolent. he didnt describe what it was though.

He's long wanted to make an historical RPG, hasn't he? One with a classless system and TB.

In the video he was addressing violence in video games if i remember and made an off hand comment about making non violent video game is fine and that he was working on one. so he really wasnt trying to get into what he was working on. it just caught my attention.

Edited by draego

1 hour ago, kanisatha said:

If they did that would be fine. But I doubt it because incorporating both into the game from the ground up would likely be both complicated and costly. But now that they have MS's money maybe the cost issue is not an issue.

If they use the same engine, they already have turn based and RTwP .  Are they using a new engine that we know?  I mean, I was enjoying Deadfire before they included turn-base mode.  I just enjoy it more now.