The Blockbuster Oscar Bait Movie Thread

Amentep

Except for the odd beer every now and then I've completely stopped having drinks that contain any form of sugar. 'Twas a much easier way of slashing caloric intake per day than eating less or differently. I can live without coke. I can't live without roasted pork belly. ;)

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

2 hours ago, Amentep said:

exterminatus-gif-8.gif

• Haha 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

If someone told me that film/trailer sat in a vault unreleased for 12 years and was dusted off because one of its producers fell in hard times or whatever, I wouldn't be surprised. Between Jim Carrey's shtick, "Gangsta's Paradise", an approach to the source material that recalls the baffling made-by-an-out-of-touch-comittee feeling of films like Dragon Ball Evolution and The Last Airbender, the woeful CGI and, well, even the choice of source material, this literally feels like a contemporary to these in all the worst ways. But I guess I'm happy Jim Carrey still gets some work nowadays.

• Haha 3

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

this is like a jimmy neutron mod or something, right

(e): actually, I haven't seen jimmy neutron in nearly two decades, it's possible it looked better and had better writing than this

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

It can't be worse than Transformers.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

17 hours ago, KaineParker said:

It can't be worse than Transformers.

That sounds like you're challenging the producers...

• Like 3

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Ok, the Sonic thing is weird, and what is Jim Carrey doing? I mean, the guy is strange, but all of his movie choices (even though they are few and far between) have been pretty solid. Sure, he isn't for everyone, but he hasn't had a lot of just terrible stuff. There is usually a clear audience, which I fail to see here.

Edit: looking closer, it does seem like he has had a couple whiffs lately. Still, hard to imagine this is the guy that became Andy Kaufman.

Edited by Hurlshot

I dare not press play on that trailer, but I can't keep the image of that Sonic saying "Death to Videodrome! Long live the New Flesh!" in James Woods' voice out of my head.

• Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

So, Avengers Endgame. I liked the movie very much, but I didn't understand a few things:

Massive spoilers below

- Is half of the population 5 years older? For example, Peter Parker's colleagues in the Far From Home trailer, did all of them vanish and came back? Are the ones who survived in College now?

- Did Captain America live several decades with Peggy knowing all about Hydra and not telling her? lol

- Is past Gamora with them now? I actually don't remember if she was in the last Guardians scene :facepalm:

- How is the other timeline? No Thanos, Power Stone with the Novas, Loki escaped with the Tesseract and Hydra thinks Captain America is with them?

- Oh, and how did Cap grew old in his original timeline? lol

Edited by InsaneCommander
spoiler tag

sign.jpg

9 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

So, Avengers Endgame. I liked the movie very much, but I didn't understand a few things:

Massive spoilers below

Hide contents

- Is half of the population 5 years older? For example, Peter Parker's colleagues in the Far From Home trailer, did all of them vanish and came back? Are the ones who survived in College now?

- Did Captain America live several decades with Peggy knowing all about Hydra and not telling her? lol

- Is past Gamora with them now? I actually don't remember if she was in the last Guardians scene :facepalm:

- How is the other timeline? No Thanos, Power Stone with the Novas, Loki escaped with the Tesseract and Hydra thinks Captain America is with them?

- Oh, and how did Cap grew old in his original timeline? lol

I'll go ahead and give my answers on this, though it's largely based on memory/opinion/hypothesis so don't take them to be true necessarily...

1. I think the idea is that half the population is now 5 years older, yeah. And maybe Parker and some other guys like Flash, Ned or MJ all happened to be surreptitiously snapped out of existence whereas others in their year did not, and now have come back and share the same grade again with a bunch of people who previously were five years younger... I guess. We'll see how that turns out though.

2 and 5. If you think about that last scene logically for just a moment, it doesn't make any sense. Good thing is, you don't have to! Because I feel the idea behind was led more by the emotional/thematic element and less so the logical one. It's just a somewhat fitting ending I suppose (though it could have made more logical sense had Cap returned back to the "present" an old man). Generally I have to say that I don't feel this film's take on time travel was too egregious, though the ending was a definite violation of its own laws. Others may disagree though.

3. I think so? I don't really see any other outcome for her, and am curious as to how that'll all develop too.

4. I think they are separate timelines actually. I guess it's more that every instance in time that is earlier or later to the other is its own separate iteration of time, and the quantum realm is basically allowing them to travel through these like they would travel through dimensions. Hence why Banner says it's always the present, you're not actually going back in time and so on. But I might have completely misunderstood the way it works. Regardless, yes - one has no Thanos, another has Loki free, another has Hydra thinking Cap is with them and so on.

Again, though, my guesses/opinions/estimates. Hope that uh, helped some?

• Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

1.Pretty sure anyone who is snapped is the same age as snapped, and anyone who wasn't snapped it is 5 years older. Presumably Peter and friends were all snapped

2. Cap knows that if he tells her, he's creating an alternate time line which may undo their ultimate victory against Thanos. 

3. Gamora was not there, hence why Starlord had her picture on the screen. 

4. Theoretically there isn't another timeline; that was the whole point of Cap going back.

5. There's nothing saying Cap can't age...?

[/SPOILER ]

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

3 hours ago, Amentep said:

Hide contents

1.Pretty sure anyone who is snapped is the same age as snapped, and anyone who wasn't snapped it is 5 years older. Presumably Peter and friends were all snapped

2. Cap knows that if he tells her, he's creating an alternate time line which may undo their ultimate victory against Thanos. 

3. Gamora was not there, hence why Starlord had her picture on the screen. 

4. Theoretically there isn't another timeline; that was the whole point of Cap going back.

5. There's nothing saying Cap can't age...?

[/SPOILER ]

According to the video below, one of the directors confirmed that Cap did live in another timeline and had to travel back to his original one to give Sam the shield.

Maybe some changes wouldn't have a big impact and would create an essentially indistinguishable timeline. For example, Hydra could check the cameras (if they exist) and see the captain who told them "Hail Hydra" fight against the other one, so they would assume the real cap didn't know about them. However, some changes would be too serious, like Loki escaping with the cube. That would have a much bigger impact and couldn't be the same timeline.

sign.jpg

Spoiler

A couple of quick thoughts on the video -

• Even if the Russo Bros believe that, it isn't established to my mind in the movie so open to interpretation (the 'author is dead' and all of that) until Marvel explicitly states it in a film.
  • Creating an alternate timeline opens up a lot of questions:
  • Is it before or after the infinity stones are returned (ie are there two sets of stones or one or three)?
  • What happens with Thanos in the alternate universe? If Cap allows events to play out the same, then does the second Cap create a new alternate universe to be with his Peggy (crisis on infinite Peggy Carters) and if he doesn't allow them to unfold the way they did in the prime universe, doesn't that mean that he's just taken his alternate self's means and ability to find the same happiness he had (what a jerk!) and also drastically altered Peggy's husband's life from the original timeline (double jerk!)?
  • Did Dr. Strange using the time stone to create a time loop to defeat Dormamu create an infinity of alternate branches?  Or was it always just one timeline because it was a loop?  If it didn't create an alternate timeline, time travel by itself doesn't create an alternate branch which seems to be why the Ancient One ultimately agreed to Hulk's proposal.
  • Why did Peggy in the main universe not have a picture of her husband with her family photos despite wearing a wedding band (Ant Man) and claiming to be married (video IIRC in Captain America Winter Soldier)?  One possible option is that she was trying to hide the fact that she'd married Steve after all from the people who'd recognize that fact.  The other would be Peggy faked a marriage to simplify her life at the time.  If the first, then Steve coming in creates a closed loop that isn't an alternate timeline implying Steve was always destined, somehow, to return to the past.  In the second he could, theoretically, replace the non-existent husband provided he made sure he didn't do anything to create an alternate timeline (keep quiet about what he knows, avoid Peggy's funeral, etc). 

EDIT: A couple more thoughts

• Why wouldn't the Ancient One know when Cap set about to create the alternate timeline to live with Peggy and do something about the fact that Cap was messing up the timeline?  She would have still had the timestone in the 1940s when he theoretically would have branched the timeline off and more than enough power to stop Cap from creating an alternate branch which she seems to think is a bad thing? 
  • If Cap did create an alternate timeline...is that where the Netflix and Hulu shows happened at? :cat:

• Hmmm 1

IMO, the ending for Thor must have been changed in Endgame after  Disney had fired James Gunn.    Why?  After Disney had fired James Gunn, Disney wanted Taika Waititi, the director of Thor: Ragnorok, to replace James Gunn and direct Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3.     So Disney must have thought how Thor and the Guardians of the Galaxy ended in Endgame would facilitate the transition.   Of course, Waititi turned down Disney's offer due to his support for Gunn.  In the end, Disney could not find any directors (i.e., directors who were in the same league with James Gunn) who were willing to take over Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3.   Everyone refused to take the job out of support for James Gunn, (and probably due to how and why he was fired, and everyone thought Disney fired him for the wrong reason.)

On the circumstance of how James Gunn was  fired:   I looked up his past tweets that caused Disney to fire him.  Those tweets were obviously meant to be sarcastic and satirical. It seemed obvious to me that his tweets, instead of endorsing promoting pedophilia, were actually satirical attacks on pedophiles and the Catholic church. The "alt-right" deliberately took his tweets out of context to orchestrate his firing because he had been a frequent and outspoken critic of Donald Trump.

In the end, the alt-right's effort to get him fire backfired: as soon as James Gunn became a free from Disney, Warner Brothers immediately grabbed James Gunn and wanted him to reboot DCEU with The Suicide Squad.  Then Disney rehired him, and Marvel offered him the reign of the "Cosmic MCU" to get him back aboard.  So now he is in an even better and stronger position in his career.   He will direct the future directions of both DCEU (by rebooting it with The Suicide Squad) and MCU (by heading the Cosmic MCU).

As for why Disney decided to rehire James Gunn, I feel here are the two reasons:

1. Disney decided NOT to "feed the (alt-right) trolls".    After Disney had fired James Gunn, alt-right started another "cultural war" campaign to boycott Captain Marvel (due to Brie Larson's feminism.)   The alt-right felt emboldened because they thought they had somehow "won" and succeeded with their campaign to get James Gunn fired.   So Disney decided that they had to put an end to those alt-right trolling, and the best way to end them is to NOT to give the alt-right an inch in any of their social campaigns against Disney.  So Disney went back to rehire James Gunn to deliver a cultural an social "defeat" to the alt-right.  I sensed that was what was going on.

2. Disney is in direct competition with Warner Brothers for talents.  Disney simply did not want to let Warner Brothers keep or monopolize James Gunn. When Warner Brothers hired James Gunn for The Suicide Squad, Disney must have gone, "oh ****," and prompted Disney to reconsider.  

Personally, I think Disney made a good call.  After Disney had rehired James Gunn and Captain  Marvel had made over a "Briellion" dollars at the box office (which caused alt-right's boycott of Captain Marvel to collapse,) the alt-right and incel trolls DO seem to have suffered a morale defeat in this particular round of culture war.

Edited by ktchong

Saints Row made into a movie ?  https://www.destructoid.com/saints-row-movie-on-the-way-but-how-ridiculous-is-it-gonna-be--552174.phtml

Well...I guess they chose an appropriate director.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Don't blame the make believe 'alt right' for Gunns' firing. They doin't control Disney. Disney does and they fired him. Blame the SJW Nazis being easily TRIGGERED.

P.S. I supported Gunn. His firing was asanine bu that is 100% on Disney and the the SJW Nazis. The fact that 'trolls' got them all riled up is hilarious.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I quite enjoyed Endgame. The key is not to think too much - it's pretty inconsistant with its own rules, even though those are pretty vague. Otherwise you will just say a lot of:

I tried to get into Sonic games recently as I like platformers very mucho. I tried Generations and Sonic Mania. Oh boy, I didnt' enjoy them at all. 

• Like 1