Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Which game to buy? (Steam Winter Sale 2018)

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

IndiraLightfoot

IndiraLightfoot

Apex of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5553 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I notice a few neat deals, but thing is: None of them really spoke to me. This may be one of the first Steam sales, where I won't buy any game. In fact, I went ahead and prepurchased the only thing I was sure I wanted: Gathering Storm for Civ6 (and was met with red sentences from Valve: "This purchase does not grant any bonus trading cards…" I didn't care, haha!

Triple - A Foxy Lad

Triple - A Foxy Lad

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 303 posts

"This purchase does not grant any bonus trading cards…" I didn't care, haha!

All this auxillary steam stuff baffles me no end. I just want to play games, not be part of some community and stack gamerpoints and achievements or whatever theyre called.

Honestly thats what really puts me off about steam, the sprawl of it. It makes me feel like an idiot whenever i boot it up cos i dont know what half of it does.

If i want to talk **** with folk about games, im a big enough boy to go find my own outlets.
  • Hawke64 likes this

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3215 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I have to disagree, I love customizing my profile and ahowing off badges and achievements. It really is better than Xbox achievements and PS Trophies.

Thing is, Steam's social aspect is so strong that GoG, Origin and console gamers (non-Steam users) will create an account just to express on the Steam forums how much they hate Steam or just to talk to devs who have games on GoG but hate GoG's forums due to nobody really being there.

For me, the best thing about achievements is having a bookmark for a game that I've played. I have a backlog and from time to time I travel so having markers to indicate or remind is neber a bad thing. They have always been super helpful, to me, anyway. I learned to love them in time because of it.
  • Melusina likes this

Raithe

Raithe

Lurking Caped One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3311 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I have to admit, pretty much all my wishlist was on sale... but eh, with life the way it is I haven't been playing games much the last 4-6 months, and I suddenly thought why buy something that's just going to sit there for half a year before I get around to actually playing it?

So I didn't pick up anything, and just plan to wait for my gaming mood to hit.

Labadal

Labadal

Janitor of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3959 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Me: Ooh, that JRPG looks interesting!

Also me: Don't you have like 5 of those you haven't played yet that are better?

Me: I could use a new horror game!

Also me: But I own everything on the top sellers and haven't played half of them.

Me: Ooh, I could get the 7th game in this franchise. I like it

Also me: You own  1-6, but you're still only on 2. Do you really need to buy it now?

And that is how my backlog is sitting at 275 unfinished games. (Down from 374, at least.)

• Raithe likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users