Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

TV's Vast Wasteland

• Please log in to reply
309 replies to this topic

Raithe

Raithe

Lurking Caped One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3311 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

On that slight callback... Tor - The Ethical Drama of Farscapes John Crichton

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 9040 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

After Doctor Strange I decided I could skip until Netflix for any character centered ones. Ended up skipping Black Panther and Ant Man 2. Saw Black Panther on Netflix and it didn't change my opinion.

I love Benedict Cumberbatch and I still largely snoozed through Dr. Strange. I mean it was fitfully amusing here and there but...

I'm not tired of superheroes. I'm tired of "Marvelverse." Haven't seen most of the more recent ones, gave infinity War a chance, meh.

I'm also tired of all-CGI-fest and almost no dialogue (outside of one-liners and a couple dramatic short "speeches" or whatever). They're starting to remind me of Transformers in the sense all sound and fury and not much else. And no, purple-face going on about

Spoiler
for some seconds with a sad-face doesn't make me think he's deep. ID4 probably had more actual dialogue and that's saying something.

I was watching some of those low-budget, disaster mini-series/movies with a couple semi-famous ppl in them, from the early 2000's (back when SyFy and others made a ton of those) and as bad as some of them are, I actually found a few of them more interesting than most current big-budget actions of today because ... dialogue. Then again, I'm just a grouse these days so. :biggrin:

Edited by LadyCrimson, 17 January 2019 - 08:40 AM.

InsaneCommander

InsaneCommander

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2008 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Their movies can get repetitive. Deadpool 2 is an example of a different movie and is one of the best in my opinion.

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3247 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Punisher season 2 on the docket for tonight. Will definitely also catch the latest episode of the Orville and still plan on waiting until all of Discovery is out. I've heard some positive things about the first episode of STD such as the rest of the bridge crew finally has names that we get to know. 

majestic

majestic

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 941 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Punisher season 2 on the docket for tonight. Will definitely also catch the latest episode of the Orville and still plan on waiting until all of Discovery is out. I've heard some positive things about the first episode of STD such as the rest of the bridge crew finally has names that we get to know. 

Ignoring the unfixable issues Discovery has that really was an entertaining episode. Michael is also no longer an unsufferable arsehole, which helped immensely. It does have an action sequence on Star Trek 2009 level of ridiculousness, but that's par for the course I guess.

• ShadySands and InsaneCommander like this

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3086 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Continuing the journey of Young Justice. Everything just feels right, although I'd say the animation was better in the 90's DC cartoons, the story-writing is much better now so I guess I see why it's doing rather well in the cartoon space.

Lexx

Lexx

Adventurer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3977 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Oh damn, Punisher s2 is already out? Now I know how to waste my time this weekend.

Orogun01

Orogun01

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3826 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Oh damn, Punisher s2 is already out? Now I know how to waste my time this weekend.

Doing anything else but watching it?

InsaneCommander

InsaneCommander

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2008 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Ignoring the unfixable issues Discovery has that really was an entertaining episode. Michael is also no longer an unsufferable arsehole, which helped immensely. It does have an action sequence on Star Trek 2009 level of ridiculousness, but that's par for the course I guess.

I was prepared for any issues and I really liked the episode.

The Orville was good too. Serious spoiler for the episode below (but I'll word it carefully anyway):

Spoiler

• SonicMage117 likes this

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3086 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Just saw the new Discovery episode.

My two cents: I didn't see any issues, well not any worth mentioning anyway. I mean if you grew up with one of the Star Treks like The Next Generation, Voyager, Enterprise or the others I could see the classic formula being a personal issue. But the new episode was pretty what I expected it to be, which is an ode/tribute to the original which inspired it. We finally get a real return to classic real Star Trek, and the cast is great too.

I knew Anson Mount would be a perfect rendition to Christopher Pike's character. There was only one episode in the classic but that episode had so much Pike that you got everything you needed from it to know the character. Character progression is rarely needed if you have a good actor, production team, direction and writing - which is probably why hour long movies can get popular and well recieved while introducing new characters. The classic episode is really no different and hence why Pike was a beloved character. Check this out :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users