TV's Vast Wasteland

Amentep

That was a great episode. It's hard to get me to laugh, but this one cracked me up multiple times. There's just one thing I really hate: Having to wait a week for the next episode.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Finished Titans. It was OK, not as good as it was made out to be and at times oddly derivative (bad guy makes omelettes) and a bit... tepid as if they were worried about going all out with stuff. Also did not like where it ended, don't think they should have cut the last episode.

OTOH had to laugh at STD's latest episode's

decapitated baby head. I was 95% sure they wouldn't show it when it kept on being just out of shot. Guess you can get away with that when it's a Klingon and not a human

Btw, I'm not dissing Michael Dorn. He did what he could and my boredom with Worf wasn't actor-related. I just didn't find TNG Klingon's interesting or entertaining.

As to the female outfits - it's kind of funny how the female tight "bunny suit" chr. evolved with the different series. I still remember when Troi was  promoted and wore the standard blue/black Starfleet uniform later, imo she was actually more beautiful in that then that silly purple outfit which I thought was actually unflattering on her.

Of course you can go all the way back and chuckle over Uhura and the other female's super-short 60's mini-skirt uniform where their uniform-underwear was constantly on show. But at least that costume probably didn't make anyone faint. :disguise:

Sirtis used to say that she could tell how many lines she would have in an episode by looking at the amount of cleavage costume design had her showing.  In fact one of the reasons she pushed the writers to put in that whole story arc of Troi taking the tests to be bridge command capable was to get a "standard" Federation uniform to wear instead of the wide and varied stuff they put her in regularly.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Finished Titans. It was OK, not as good as it was made out to be and at times oddly derivative (bad guy makes omelettes) and a bit... tepid as if they were worried about going all out with stuff. Also did not like where it ended, don't think they should have cut the last episode.

I'm not sure how that's oddly derivitive but I saw it more as Agent Smiles giving nod to Chang Tzu more than anything else. This comes from Teen Titans/Wonder Woman Linda Carter era lore, the Egg who got fried came back with machine guns to try to kill everyone and conquer the world... Of course he didn't.

I want more eggy villains, they are never bad.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

That was because I watched Daredevil S1 before it and both shows made a big deal of their villains randomly eating omelettes in their beautifully appointed penthouse suites. Didn't help that Titans was clearly very much a post Daredevil show when it came to its general approach to things like violence and production values as well- as compared to Gotham/ CW shows/ Krypton etc.

Velvet Buzzaw/Netflix "original"

...great cast, disappointing movie. I watched it all because of the cast and because I kept waiting for the actual "horror" parts. There aren't many and they're nothing much. Didn't feel cohesive, jumping around between some characters that you never care about and not making any sense. One chr. in particular seems somewhat sympathetic early on but then does this total 180 into a ***** for no shown reason other than the script says so. The actors do what they can but ... yeah. The best part was one chr/actor being in the background during the credits. :p

Edit: there *is* some minor appeal to the satire re: art snobbery, but that wasn't enough for me

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Speaking of omelettes.....

"Felicity Smoak, you have FAILED this omelette!!"

https://youtu.be/_sybx8UQqlM

Edited by SonicMage117
  • Like 2

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

As knobish as hijacking a friend's wedding was to make it all about her she did also literally nuke a city which is probably a bit above omelettes and monomaniacal narcissism. Havenrock, never forget; unlike Felicity who forgot about it the same episode.

While Arrow isn't exactly Shakespeare at the best of times she really has been a dreadfully written pet character. Objectively she's written as (at very best) deeply deeply selfish, if not an outright sociopath yet you're meant to like her...

• Like 2

As knobish as hijacking a friend's wedding was to make it all about her she did also literally nuke a city which is probably a bit above omelettes and monomaniacal narcissism. Havenrock, never forget; unlike Felicity who forgot about it the same episode.

While Arrow isn't exactly Shakespeare at the best of times she really has been a dreadfully written pet character. Objectively she's written as (at very best) deeply deeply selfish, if not an outright sociopath yet you're meant to like her...

Spoiler for Arrow season 7:

We are probably supposed to believe she is not behind the plan to destroy Star City in the flashforwards. But after Havenrock, who knows.

sign.jpg

At this point I'm actively hoping they go the whole hog and actually make her a retroactive villain. She's definitely got the background set up for it, and it would give the flash forwards an actual point too. Apart from the nuking there's also the soliciting torture from an identity thief impersonating an important judicial official and breaking a terrorist out of federal custody in S5 either of which would usually make you an outright bad guy.

Kind of funny how she's been treated on the other shows. She was always better written on Flash since she wasn't the showrunners' pet, but we got a passive aggressive comment about her wedding gift after the hijacking which was almost certainly designed as a WTF? to the Arrow writers; and she was summarily and fairly graphically killed off in Legends' Doomworld.

• Like 2

What We Do In the Shadows TV trailer (mirror, since the official FX one is region locked)

Looks more a straight TV adaptation of the movie than Wellington Paranormal was.

I do wonder how much mileage they'll get out of this premise though. Seems like you'd run out of material to deconstruct fast and it'd turn more into a sitcom about goths but they do occasional supernatural ****.

I hear CBS/online is going to do a 10 episode remake of The Stand. Which I won't see unless "everyone" thinks it's the bees knees and they sell it on DVD, but it does make me curious who could be cast as Flagg, as well as others. Matthew McConaughey might be good but I think he was in Dark Tower so maybe not good to put him in another King? Plus he's typically film over TV. Just not familiar enough with "this generation" of actors to think of good choices...

The old mini-series nailed a few of the cast choices imo but really dropped the ball on others. I never liked that they made Harold skinny from the start, either - I hope they don't do that this time around and use special effects or whatnot. I also wish it could be 12 episodes. 10 still feels just a bit too short.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

So this^. Could not have said it better. I absolutely cannot stand her character. Give me moar Dinah Drake. Now she is awesome!!!

I really liked Felicity in the first 2 seasons of Arrow. Her shyness and genuine nerdiness made her attractive to me. She always modeled 3 or 4 different dresses per episode, wore glasses and sported a poneytail.

Now they flipped her character into sorta a b!tc# and she's not very likable, imo. I understand that they want to develop her character but I feel like they've gone into the wrong direction with it. Gotham really showed the opposite with Barbara Keen and developed her into a beautiful villain, the right way.

Who are my most favorite girls in Arrowverse? Hmmm. I had a softspot for Sam aka Reign and even though I disliked Melissa Benoist as Supergirl at first (probably because she didn't look or act like Laura Vandervoort) but now I've flourished a huge crush on her as a character.

But yeah, back to Arrow lol...

I really miss Team A, Prometheus showed just how much Team B sucks - hence why Oliver had to work with past villains to attempt to bring him down. Prometheus is so much cooler than Diaz and whenever I see Diaz, I can't help but see him as the guy in the tank on The Walking Dead. Fun fact: Dinah Drake was ALSO on The Walking Dead but she is more memorable on Arrow, of course :)

2:33 - Watch Diaz tell Rick off

3:16 - A wild Dinah appears

Oh

And BRING BACK the redhead hacker who's a nod to Barbara Gordon ;)

I don't care for Wild Dog, Mr. Terrific, the Emerald Archer or alot if the newer characters. Like I said, Team A was just so much better in terms of likability.

• Like 1

That was because I watched Daredevil S1 before it and both shows made a big deal of their villains randomly eating omelettes in their beautifully appointed penthouse suites. Didn't help that Titans was clearly very much a post Daredevil show when it came to its general approach to things like violence and production values as well- as compared to Gotham/ CW shows/ Krypton etc.

Technically it's just a sunny side up but Lord Zipacna offers eggs on Lost:

Zipacna definitely makes good eggs, ey? :p

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Give me moar Dinah Drake. Now she is awesome!!!

Her actor is very good and is very natural with every other actor in the series, but the character herself just has too much baggage for me stemming from her introduction and consistent poor writing/ plotting, which all the new recruits suffered from. Even really simple stuff like her having literally the same name as Laurel's mother/ Quentin's wife is never addressed as if the writers were hoping no one would notice.

Gotham really showed the opposite with Barbara Keen and developed her into a beautiful villain, the right way.

Haha no. They clearly have an endpoint in mind for Barbara but their journey to get her there has been contrived, even for a Gotham plot line, and she's been used as a sidekick for more interesting villains most of the time as they have no idea what to do with her by herself.

Fun fact: Dinah Drake was ALSO on The Walking Dead but she is more memorable on Arrow, of course

Diggle's wife Lyla (Audrey Marie Anderson, iirc) is also in the same episode and a few previous, playing The Governor's girlfriend. Agent Liberty on Supergirl (Sam Witwer) was in the series 1 Walking Dead Finale in the tank Rick gets stuck in too and has been in heaps of sci fi stuff like BSG, Force Unleashed, Smallville. All the CWDC shows are pretty big on the stunt casting, especially Supergirl.

And BRING BACK the redhead hacker who's a nod to Barbara Gordon ;)

I don't care for Wild Dog, Mr. Terrific, the Emerald Archer or alot if the newer characters. Like I said, Team A was just so much better in terms of likability.

I like Kacey Rohl, but there are far too many hackers in Arrow. Just doesn't have a purpose, especially with Mr Terrible being around, unless Felicity leaves. Wild Dog though is fine, now that they're not doing the idiotic Civil Bore storyline where he was insufferable.

(To be honest, I'd move Felicity and Diggle into a 'not the suicide squad' show and out of Arrow if I were in charge, even with Thea and Quentin gone Arrow still has core cast bloat)

• Like 1

Give me moar Dinah Drake. Now she is awesome!!!

Her actor is very good and is very natural with every other actor in the series, but the character herself just has too much baggage for me stemming from her introduction and consistent poor writing/ plotting, which all the new recruits suffered from. Even really simple stuff like her having literally the same name as Laurel's mother/ Quentin's wife is never addressed as if the writers were hoping no one would notice.

Isn't there a theory that she is Laurel's grandmother and will time travel with the legends? Still dumb though.

• Like 1

sign.jpg

Her name is even "Dinah Laurel Lance" :)

But Birds of Prey character is named Dinah as well

^It's something how something that is considered bad acting from the 90's can be considered top notch today. Birds Of Prey is great, can't wait to see the new take on it, even if they butcher it :p

Speaking of unpopular characters, did Iris come closer to defeating Cicada, on her own, than everyone else with powers, together?

Yep. And she walked away instead of finishing him off :(

If it was me I would have just made sure he was dead before doing anything lol

Young Justice has really grown on me, I feel like - no, I know that Young Justice is better written than any of the Justice League cartoon shows. My inner-teen has developed a crush on Meghon.

What really got me is how much they've concluded - The Injustice League, The Doom Patrol, The court of Owls, the Forever people, the city of Genesis, Apocalypse and the Crime Syndicate! It's all there. So 10 episodes in and the cartoon that is pretty good to phenomenal complex and integral stroy strings.

Enjoying it more than Batman The Animated Series and Batman Beyond. That's saying something, apparently, I'm not alone as tht is the general consensus from DC fans though.

• Like 1