Cinéma vérité - and all other types

Amentep

Its not so much scathing commentary as satire of fascism in general. But it is an entertaining film, with some surprisingly good performances.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Night of the Hunter (1955). Great villain, especially for the time. But the actual movie was rather bewildering and hard to follow in its beats a good portion of the time, often leaving me confused and dissatisfied. I actually watched it with somebody else, and we were both constantly wondering what in the world was happening and why the movie was going down so many bizarre paths. So it ended up being a very bipolar movie in terms of good/bad: half of the time we were utterly hooked, and the other half we were groaning and/or facepalming. Still, it was much more interesting than something that was simply mediocre all the way through. If the movie had been kept just a little more in check in its unevenness and bizareness, I think it could've been great.

I hope you liked the river scenes as much as I did, especially the transition between the chase to the escape.

Yeah, it's a flawed film. But it's very obviously ahead of it's time in many ways.

• Like 1

Outlaw King on Netflix - I liked the fantasy-as-historical entertainment Braveheart and I liked director David MacKenzie's Hell or High Water. So I gave this one a shot.

I hear 20 minutes of the more "political" bits were excised from the film before airing on Netflix, which is probably a good thing, but the intro is still rather snooze inducing and TV-movie feeling. And there was something off about much of the acting that occasionally felt a bit cringy. Or maybe it's something else about the production that just made it feel that way, I'm not sure. Chris Pine is in super dour mode. Once the battle/war starts it's more watchable, if lots of mud and violence are your thing. Becomes less TV-movie feeling later too. I'd say it's watchable and sometimes entertaining/interesting if this type of film generally appeals.

But it's no Braveheart. Or Hell or High Water.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

But it's no Braveheart.

Does that mean it actually contains a few historically true facts?

Edited by Raithe

But it's no Braveheart.

Does that mean it actually contains a few historically true facts?

lol ... yes. Moreso than Braveheart certainly, which is basically "epic" rousing fantasty-fiction like I said. Including the kilt style, apparently.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

lol ... yes. Moreso than Braveheart certainly, which is basically "epic" rousing fantasty-fiction like I said. Including the kilt style, apparently.

Oh, you mean the whole tartan patterns on kilts identifying clans? Yeah, the Scots do seem to like to forget that that whole thing was basically an invention of English tailors for tourists going to Scotland back in the 19th century. Although there is a nod to the Celtic past in it, because the Celts did weave plaid (tartan) for awhile so it's not totally fraudulent. More like an exageration. You could identify areas of origin by the pattern of weave and dyes used due to different resources and weavers.

For the history lesson (as far as I recall ;)  )

Organised tartan patterns became a thing when one of the large commercial weaving factories became the sole supplier to the Highland Regiments (in about 1800 or so)- due to the large quantities they produced they started to develop standard patterns and colours, and give them names.

The clan tartans as a whole kicked off due to Scottish expatirates wanting to save/restore/recreate Scottish culture (partially led by Sir Walter Scott), you got the Highland Society in London wrote to the various clans asking for samples of their "clan tartans" because by then they thought the tartan pattern names actually did represent various affiliations.

Shortly thereafter, George IV visited Edinborough, led by the aforementioned Walter Scott in a kind of "I Love Me Some Scots" party, and then grew into a "tradition" and then tourism.

I wonder if Malevolent is any good, the trailer makes it seem like just another Paranormal horror film but it got some decent ratings from what I've seen.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Decided to go for John Carpenter's Apocalypse Trilogy:

-The Thing: I had watched this before but man, it is still awesome.

-Prince of Darkness: Good lord was this disappointing :lol:

Now I just need to watch In The Mouth of Madness.

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

I've always liked Prince of Darkness.  Its not perfect, but I've watched it several times over the years and always enjoyed it.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Netflix - The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

Western anthology film by Cohen brothers. 6 segments varying from 10-20 minutes long or so.

The first two shorter segments were hilarious, but I have a fairly twisted sense of humor. 3rd was dark/morbid. 4th was more "normal" styled but still great. 5th was a little on the oddball side where I felt like the two relatively talky leads were speaking with a Shakespearen beat delivery but in modern English. Last one was all dialogue and I thought it the weakest one but YMMV. It did have Brendon Gleeson singing a song of sorts, so that was a bonus.

At any rate, worth watching the first 4 segments, at least, imo.

• Like 1

Who here liked Avatar? I thought it was just okay and nothing special. Story wise it was lacking. I'm hoping the second will be better.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Who here liked Avatar? I thought it was just okay and nothing special. Story wise it was lacking. I'm hoping the second will be better.

I watched it at the theaters with those 3D glass thingies. It was fun. :)

• Like 2

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

My wife and I watched a movie called Breaking In, it's one of those Lifetime type movies that empower/impact women and scare them at the same time lol It was decent. Billy Burke is always a good actor, even in Twilight series

I wasn't crazy about Avatar.  Wouldn't have seen it if not for the insistances of family members.  I enjoyed it, but the trailer pretty much told you what all the story beats were so there was little reason to actually see the film (IMO).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man