Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Neat Party Trick: Eternal Ascension mode

Cipher Priest Party

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

Discord1an

Discord1an

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 2 posts
  • Steam:Discordian

First time poster here!

So, I've been enjoying the game, and playing an Ascendant Cipher has been fun, but the duration for the übermode always feels just too short, doesn't it? Even if you can use the Salvation of Time to make it last a bit longer. (And to be honest, one Ascension is plenty against the vast majority of fights.)

Now, I ran into the actual gimmick once I hit level 13 on the Cipher and got Ancestor's Memory. I discovered that the Brilliant Inspiration is busted when a slot caster class gets it. The fun here really begins when a friendly Priest gets it, and can from then on cast Salvation of Time as many times as you like (1 spellslot comes back every 3.0 seconds from Brilliant). So, buff up, Ascend, and enjoy your Eternal Ascension! No more need to build it up again, and since there are a couple of guns with nice activated abilities that basically fill your focus with one shot, it's easy livin' from there on out.

This is not a superbusted thing, I feel, and not really something that one really needs, but it is a fun trick and smooths up those long boss fights considerably.

• Haplok, dunehunter, JerekKruger and 10 others like this

Manveru123

Manveru123

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 818 posts

This is probably one of the best first time posts I've ever seen. Nice combo.

• jintegrity, Ciphys and Discord1an like this

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5384 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Yeah, there it goes. I was careful to shut up about this but now it’s just a matter of time. Oh well, it’s been good while it lasted.
  • Haplok, JerekKruger, InsaneCommander and 3 others like this

mant2si

mant2si

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 680 posts

Yes, this is my favorite combination of classes which I currently play Skaen/Streetfighter and Ascendant  ;) Don't forget to buff both Priest & Cipher with Barring Death's Door and Suppress Affliction + you can have unlimited Priest summon (with Unlimited Robus inspiration) OR  take new cape, that summons illusions, cast on them Barring Death's Door  and enjoy 5 priests guys with Unlimited resources

But yeah, I think Obsidian should simple remove Briliant Inspiration from the game, it is to OP and just restore 1 - 2 class resources per ability cast and stop Salvation to increase Ascendant duration

This fix will resolve all issues at least for this combination

Edited by mant2si, 17 September 2018 - 04:11 AM.

• Discord1an likes this

Discord1an

Discord1an

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 2 posts
  • Steam:Discordian

This is probably one of the best first time posts I've ever seen. Nice combo.

Thank you. 'Tis nice to get feedback. :)

Yeah, there it goes. I was careful to shut up about this but now it’s just a matter of time. Oh well, it’s been good while it lasted.

Uh oh, I hope not. Building a great first impression here, spoiling a favourite secret.  :unsure: 

(Well, to be fair, Brilliant Inspiration is the bah-roken part of this thing, and how it just gives totally unlimited spellspam to slot casters. Probably needs fixin' anyways.)

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5384 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
I don’t think this combination really qualifies as an issue, but by now I know better than to put forward rational arguments when it comes to the game’s balance.
  • Haplok, Vorad, jintegrity and 4 others like this

Haplok

Haplok

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 759 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Yes, this is my favorite combination of classes which I currently play Skaen/Streetfighter and Ascendant  ;) Don't forget to buff both Priest & Cipher with Barring Death's Door and Suppress Affliction + you can have unlimited Priest summon (with Unlimited Robus inspiration) OR  take new cape, that summons illusions, cast on them Barring Death's Door  and enjoy 5 priests guys with Unlimited resources

But yeah, I think Obsidian should simple remove Briliant Inspiration from the game, it is to OP and just restore 1 - 2 class resources per ability cast and stop Salvation to increase Ascendant duration

Remove Brilliant? Come on, why remove options? Don't you like your games to be fun?

I would consider blocking Ascension from being extended though, since it probably wasn't intended to be extra long.

Edited by Haplok, 17 September 2018 - 04:30 AM.

mant2si

mant2si

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 680 posts

I don’t think this combination really qualifies as an issue, but by now I know better than to put forward rational arguments when it comes to the game’s balance.

My issue is unlimited Suppress Affliction + BDD + Salvation combination, this make 2 guys in your party immune to everything, death, afflictions ...

• dunehunter likes this

dunehunter

dunehunter

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2520 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer

My issue is unlimited Suppress Affliction + BDD + Salvation combination, this make 2 guys in your party immune to everything, death, afflictions ...

Maybe make Salvation to only extend a base of 5 second duration, and make brilliant gives resource every 12 second instead?

mant2si

mant2si

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 680 posts

Maybe make Salvation to only extend a base of 5 second duration, and make brilliant gives resource every 12 second instead?

This change will make Salvation of Time completely useless skill, because it's duration doesn't scale with INT and PL 

> Make brilliant gives resource every 12 second instead

Why then not regain 2 resources per cast ?  

Haplok

Haplok

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 759 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

It's a good idea, to make SoT a duration multiplier (x2?) rather then a static additive.

Vorad

Vorad

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 189 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

To my knowledge when it comes to suppress Affliction, it only affects debuffs currently running on the char. If a debuff is reapplied then a new combat check is made and suppress won't work unless recast. Last time I noticed this was vs Fampyrs spamming domination on a playthrough I had a few weeks ago. For as long as resource count is limited (perhaps a rework on current resource renewals).

Edited by Vorad, 17 September 2018 - 04:50 AM.

• peolone likes this

mant2si

mant2si

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 680 posts

To my knowledge when it comes to suppress Affliction, it only affects debuffs currently running on the char. If a debuff is reapplied then a new combat check is made and suppress won't work unless recast. Last time I noticed this was vs Fampyrs spamming domination on a playthrough I had a few weeks ago.

Yes, I completely forget about that, never-mind, but  unlimited Minor Avatar or Shields for the Faithful is also very strong ;)

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 14436 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Scordeo's 0-recovery enchantment + Salvation + Brilliant = finally permanent zero recovery for our AndreaColombo. ;)

Edited by Boeroer, 17 September 2018 - 05:15 AM.

• dunehunter, AndreaColombo and jintegrity like this

Manveru123

Manveru123

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 818 posts

Remove Brilliant? Come on, why remove options? Don't you like your games to be fun?

I would consider blocking Ascension from being extended though, since it probably wasn't intended to be extra long.

Obsidian doesn't let us have nice things. Because balunz.

Meanwhile there's a ****ton of bugs to fix, some still from the release, but who cares when you can nerf dual wield instead right.

• AndreaColombo, Raven Darkholme and jintegrity like this

Raven Darkholme

Raven Darkholme

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1994 posts
  • Steam:Victor_Creed_SFV

Meanwhile there's a ****ton of bugs to fix, some still from the release, but who cares when you can nerf dual wield instead right.

This.

Is my main issue with any kind of balance fixes even if they make sense (that first wave where every single item got nerfed? Nope that didn't make sense btw):

It's nice to invest time for balance, but it never should be more important than blatant game breaking bugs.

The giant cave grub unlimited swallow bug has been in the game in the very first version (it's not the only one but one of the most gamebreaking ones).

Not fixing it with first patch was bad enough, but not fixing it in all patches after?

But hey every single item got nerfed even the bad ones this had more priority and happened with the very first patch....

• AndreaColombo and jintegrity like this

Manveru123

Manveru123

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 818 posts

Well no worries, two more patches and maybe the final boss of the game will always show up.

• AndreaColombo and jintegrity like this

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5384 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Not holding my breath for the final boss. I am, however, fairly certain that the topic of this discussion will be over-nerfed in 3.0. Failing that, 3.1.
  • jintegrity likes this

mant2si

mant2si

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 680 posts

I don't think that nerfing things like infinity BDD or 50+ ticks CW stacking has any relation to bug fixes, currently most of the time devs spent on developing new content. and not on balance 

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5384 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
The problem with infinity BDD lies with BDD, but guess what will remain unchanged when they get to this? You heard it here first.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cipher, Priest, Party

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

arkteryx