What are you playing right now?

Blarghagh

And fetch-quests have always been crappy, no matter since when they existed. It's the laziest quests possible, and if a game offers me more than one or two of 'em, I will feel highly offended and insulted. They just aren't fun, and if developers are using them as a filler for their games world, it is even worse. Yes, I'm looking at you, Fallout 4.

Not really sure the Fallout 4 fetch quests are, in fact, proper fetch quests. The fact that, aside from murdering everyone around, you also get to pick something up and bring it back, barely differentiates them from the ones where you just go murder everyone without picking something up as you need to go back to the quest giver either way...

Aww yeah. After a good month of grinding it finally happened, I got my Susano-o

hvR55va.png

Now I just need to transfer some skills to him, evolve him to 6*, max his level, max his skills, and get him top notch brands. All this will take some time, but this is a big step for me as I now finally have a worthy end-game party. Granted, I may still replace someone in my current group of Asherah, Alilat, White Rider, and Susano-o, especially if a Metatron, Alice, Surt, or another epic tier nuker happens to fall into my lap, but I'm confident I can finish the Aura Gate dungeon with the current team, once fully equipped.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I finished Call of Cthulhu .... I didn't call Cthulhu.

Sigh. Like herding cats.  :banghead:

I'm more of an Azathoth kinda of guy, him I would wake.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I killed Kangaxx. Mostly it was Minsc slamming him in the face with the Mace of Disruption +2 and me off in a corner removing his defenses. He killed the Lich form the normal way. But the very first hit against the Demilich got instakilled by the Mace.

Then I went to clear out the Twisted Rune hideout. Hoo boy, the Staff of Magi is nice.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Civil wars in Rome TW are fun.  Had to deal with 14 legions and 15-16 provinces turn traitor.  The most annoying part are the opportunistic neighbours who take the rebel provinces

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Civil wars in Rome TW are fun. Had to deal with 14 legions and 15-16 provinces turn traitor. The most annoying part are the opportunistic neighbours who take the rebel provinces

On that note, I just found something you might like (a mixture of Total War and Starcraft is how the dev describes it)...

https://youtu.be/OlLOR1OWG7c

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Aww yeah. After a good month of grinding it finally happened, I got my Susano-o

hvR55va.png

Now I just need to transfer some skills to him, evolve him to 6*, max his level, max his skills, and get him top notch brands. All this will take some time, but this is a big step for me as I now finally have a worthy end-game party. Granted, I may still replace someone in my current group of Asherah, Alilat, White Rider, and Susano-o, especially if a Metatron, Alice, Surt, or another epic tier nuker happens to fall into my lap, but I'm confident I can finish the Aura Gate dungeon with the current team, once fully equipped.

You were right about combat in Elex early on being difficult.  Literally everyone I meet is kicking my ass except for the absolute easiest of creatures.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

You were right about combat in Elex early on being difficult. Literally everyone I meet is kicking my ass except for the absolute easiest of creatures.

Yeah, Jax is a pathetic weakling at first. Try to avoid most combat and complete a bunch of easy quests as that will level you up the quickest. You will really start to get stronger once you join a faction.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

You were right about combat in Elex early on being difficult. Literally everyone I meet is kicking my ass except for the absolute easiest of creatures.

Yeah, Jax is a pathetic weakling at first. Try to avoid most combat and complete a bunch of easy quests as that will level you up the quickest. You will really start to get stronger once you join a faction.

My problem is most of the quests require some sort of combat interaction.

Also, I was trying to avoid joining a faction until I'd had a chance to interact with all of them first to see which one I like.  Problem is I literally can't reach any of the factions other than the Berserkers because I get killed so easily traveling the roads.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Putting some time into RDR2 when I can get a couple hours here and there to play as I feel like you need to play and appreciate that game in at least 1 hour spurts.  Over the weekend, picked up Diablo 3 for the switch and absolutely enjoying the heck out of that game.  It's perfect in handheld mode, in short gaming sessions, whether ripping out some bounties, doing a rift or 5 or just doing the campaign mode. Handles just like the PS4 version and has pretty awesome load times for the system it's on.  Yes, I saw Blizzard's latest Diablo announcement, and no, especially at this moment, I don't care.

Problem is I literally can't reach any of the factions other than the Berserkers because I get killed so easily traveling the roads.

It's doable. I reached the Hort, the Fort, and the Domed City all on foot while a pathetic weakling. Granted, it took a lot of deaths and a lot of save scumming. There is a roaming patrol of Crazed Cultist recruiters that go around the land, most often in Abessa. If you run into them they will basically teleport you to the Hort. Getting to the Hort is the hardest journey of the 3 factions' home cities IMHO. Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Do I EVER get strong?  I feel like I keep leveling up, but I still get curb stomped by anything that isn't like a runt.

I've met the major players for the Berserkers and the Outlaws so far, and I'm up to around Level 7 or 8.  And I still get killed in fights if the enemy gets like more than 2 shots in on me.  Meanwhile, I hack and hack for days and the enemy will lose maybe a quarter of their health bar.

AND I'M PLAYING ON EASY!

Yeah. At first you'll be strong enough to defeat most common enemies, at least when there's just a couple of them. Then you can defeat them all. Then come the larger monsters who'll take forever to wear down, but it's doable. If you keep playing, eventually you can massacre everything and even clear out Alb bases.

Played about 2 hours of RDR2. It's basically what you'd expect from Rockstar Games:

-awesome story and characters

-gunplay that belongs to 15 years ago

-okayish graphics

I always like a good story though...

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

It's basically what you'd expect from Rockstar Games

Is the mission/quest/plot/whatever design improved from GTA V? I mean, is it a linear "go from objective to objective, shoot men and god forbit you stray 2 meters from the path" again once you start a story mission or did the missions themselves get a bit more open-ended?
  • Like 1

What the heck, Safana? I used you through all of BG1 and SoD and you do this?

Got the Lanfear encounter in BG2. Almost forgot about it being a thing. Coran did not survive, either. It's kind of fun to read the trivia on the wiki as to the origin of that.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Smashed the traitors, had an epic battle against the Iceni.  5000 of them vs 3000 of mine.  Won, even if the 2 legions got mauled up and had to withdraw - so I guess a strategic defeat - suppose I could have done better by not saving my cavalry for their horde of archers.  Still, exploiting the idiotic AI that showed their flank to 8 cohorts about 100 yards away felt nice,

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Is the mission/quest/plot/whatever design improved from GTA V? I mean, is it a linear "go from objective to objective, shoot men and god forbit you stray 2 meters from the path" again once you start a story mission or did the missions themselves get a bit more open-ended?

I wouldn't say the main story missions are more open-ended, but the side missions definitely give you more freedom. I was hunting a bounty last night, came upon a legendary animal, and end up dealing with that instead. I'll go back for the bounty later.

I think that's what makes Red Dead Redemption 2 so polished, much more than GTAV or any other rpg or open world game out there.

A random event can coincide with a side-quest, but the cherry on top is that people actually respond to it and acknowledge everything you do. It's the reputation system if Fallout New Vegas on a higher level.

I was ambushed by the O'Driscoll gang in the middle of the canyon, no sheriffs or townsfolk around. Suddenly, a group of bounty hunters appeared so it was a 3 way shootout between the three of us. I like how they act as factions in the way we see in crpg but the design of hiw they work and the storytelling is quite a step-up.

It's almost as if Rockstar said "We want everything the player does to matter". This is something Fable and Kingdom Come: Deliverance tried to pull off but it didn't work quite the way the developer intended it to. Probably due to lower budgets or limited design options (games get better as tech progresses).

For example, if I buy new pants, people who know Arthur (RDR2's main chraracter) will acknowledge that and say something like "Did you get some new pants? Looks nice" and if I just killed someone and get all bloody someone will say "You might wanna clean your shirt buddy". If you don't eat, you will become underweight and have less energy but will be faster in movement, if you over eat, you will become overweight and run out of stamina quicker but be warmer in the cold. If you don't shave your beard will grow out.

There are probably thousands of small intricate systems all working together in Red Dead Redemption 2 and they actually do their job in a way that makes the game unlike any open world game we've played. That's probably why people claim the game is worth the hype.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Do I EVER get strong? I feel like I keep leveling up, but I still get curb stomped by anything that isn't like a runt.

The big power spike is joining a faction. I don't know about the tree huggers or junkies, but when I joined the crazed cultists I gained 2 or 3 levels, got decent torso armor, and my choice of psi amp or psi thrower. I chose the amp since it has the amazingly OP black hole ability. That took me from I'm scared of everybody to killing low level stuff easily and being able to fight med level stuff if careful. Having a companion also helps a lot, if only because they can take aggro off you.

I'm lev 26 now and there are very few enemies I still fear. I straight up obliterate most baddies.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Do I EVER get strong?  I feel like I keep leveling up, but I still get curb stomped by anything that isn't like a runt.

I've met the major players for the Berserkers and the Outlaws so far, and I'm up to around Level 7 or 8.  And I still get killed in fights if the enemy gets like more than 2 shots in on me.  Meanwhile, I hack and hack for days and the enemy will lose maybe a quarter of their health bar.

AND I'M PLAYING ON EASY!

That's a consequence of the 'flat' damage reduction system. If you're using a near starter tier weapon that does 20 damage a young wolf might have say 5 damage reduction, so most of the damage gets through and you might kill it in 5 or 6 hits depending on combos etc. An adult wolf might have 20 damage reduction though, so you get almost no damage damage even with any combo bonuses. That makes the young wolf manageable but the adult one disproportionately more difficult. But, as a consequence when you get to a low intermediate weapon that does 30 damage suddenly you're a lot more able to handle that adult wolf because your effective damage dealt increases ten fold- instead of doing 1 or 2 damage per hit you start doing around 10 per hit. However your effective damage against a young wolf doesn't even double so you still need 4ish hits to kill one so if you mess around with them too much they're still potentially dangerous; but instead of needing seemingly hundreds of hits to kill an adult wolf you 'only' need about ten.

It's a pretty good system for keeping things interesting in a long game since only the weakest enemies become absolute walkovers, but it's certainly a hard start because you have to get over that initial hurdle of only being able to handle the weak versions of a few enemies until you develop a bit.

As is tradition for Piranha Bytes games if you're really good or really patient you can kill just about anything with starter tier weapons, but it will take a very long time.

(n.b. numbers are illustrative only, I don't know the real numbers involved)

Edited by Zoraptor

There ain't a single developer out there that could challenge Rockstar Games talent in storytelling. The plot/characters these fellas at R* create are better than most movies I've seen in recent years.

For that reason alone, I am willing to forgive R* for having used the GTA3 engine for the 5th time in past 18 years.

Edit: the whole 'we have employees at R* that work so hard they have to sleep under their desks' thing is also a very well fabricated publicity stunt, nothing more.

Edited by Katphood
  • Like 1

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.