What are you playing right now?

Blarghagh

Now that I have more experience laying R2D2 I'd like to say a few other things...

The presence of community is something this game does well. See, if a mission goes awry and you're at risk of being found or followed back to your camp, you will be forced to move location. The feeling of settlers is here, it's something that's never been done before in a game. I mean, it's been attempted, sure, many times.

The reputation system allows for multiple playstyles and various playthroughs. I wonder, does it affect your ending? It certainly affects relationships, reactions in greetings and dialogue as well as mood at camp.

Hmmm... Now I'm wondering how long it will take rpg's to catch up to this. RDD2 is not a rpg by any means but it's one of those action story-driven games that just pulls different things together in such a way you kinda ask yourself "Why aren't complex rpg's here or past this point?" And that goes for all kinds of rpg's really.

So, even though you're stuck to playing a pre-created character, and the story is linear, there is still so much choice and freedom. It's kinda like The Witcher 3 is alot of ways, in fact that's what I've been comparing it to in my head when I play. If Witcher 3 was a western...

Things I don't like about RDR2...

Framerate drops when you ride into towns, it can get pretty bad but it only lasts a few seconds.

Pop-in. The game has a great field if view, you can see for miles, literally, BUT there are alot of pop-in issues.

The horse steering can be complete bullocks at times, janky, whatever. As well as horse to object detection, my horses head got stuck in a tree at one point and its body flew up to shake it's balls in my face, I think the horse was trying to kick me but it flashed me instead.

The hair on npc models looks horrible, like REALLY horrible like yarn. While everything else looks superb.

All that said, the game is still a marvel.

• Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Was Baldur's Gate 2 the origin of companion quests? It's actually getting a bit daunting feeling like that's all I've been doing for the past week. I've still got Keldorn's, the resolution of Anomen's, Neera, haven't even met Rasaad or Cern, just met Mazzy. And I know Wilson doesn't have one, but I haven't met him yet either. And I can't remember if Haer'Dalis has one beyond the planar prison.

I'm running through the shadow wolf dungeon and gave Minsc a throwing axe that kills undead. He has no specialization in axes, but he can hit shadows on a 5 and they tend to die outright. Mummies and Skeleton Warriors I have to fight the normal way.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

A small video comparison on last gen's GTAV on PC (ultra settings) vs consolist Red Dead Redemption 2

Also

Yes, folks. Rockstar is the definition of quality care. This is the proof, you all asked for it and after 8 long years, your patience was finally rewarded.

Edited by SonicMage117
  • Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

This is the proof, you all asked for it and after 8 long years, your patience was finally rewarded.

I never asked for this.

Trying to spend money in FM2018 as I have it...but all the good players find Sweden to be crap so don't want to play for me.  Even unemployed players!  Tempted to say screw this and go manage Atalanta or something.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

If every game needs to be in making for 8 or more years just to satisfy their over the top photorealism, well... No thanks... I rather stick with some lower polygon cartoon graphics to see quality gameplay every now and then.

While RDR2 and FFXV was in the making, Monolith Soft released three epic scale openworld RPGs and one handheld RPG. All with metacritic score of 83-92 and user score 8.7-9.2... Sometimes less is way way more...

• Like 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Well, unfortunately, not as plenty as 20 years ago, when I could spent 8 hours a day playing games, after my homeworks and sports were done :p

• Like 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

If every game needs to be in making for 8 or more years just to satisfy their over the top photorealism, well... No thanks... I rather stick with some lower polygon cartoon graphics to see quality gameplay every now and then.

What does photorealism have to do with it? The videos covered all trchnical aspects of the game, not just the grpahics. I'd say the storytelling and animation are RDR2's biggest feat. And who said DDR2 had bad gameplay? Rpg's don't have good gameplay mechanics as it is, at least I always played them for the story. I.E: Combat in turn-based/rtwp generally like playing chess with a blind/mute child who cannot calculate properties or placement variables correctly.

All that doesn't matter though, as said before, R2D2 sets a new bar for depth in storytelling in games, it will still probably be a good while for rpg's to catch up, maybe Cyberpunk will prove me wrong, I highly doubt this (since R2D2 is linear and focused) but we shall see.

Edited by SonicMage117

Well, quite obviously it isn't setting a new bar when it comes to the control scheme, because lots of people seem to hate the button-madness in RDR2.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Contols are hard to get used to, I must admit. I still have to look at the lower right of the screen sometimes because one button can have 2 functions.

I think... Alot of people are angry they have to wait for animations to skin an animal, cook and crap as well. It's still top animations but people take issue with vissue. This shouldn't affect the enjoyment of the game but well, if it were my game, I'd be happy with that being the biggest complaint I think.

Public service announcement: Your lost hat, and every other hat youve gained, can be found on your horse at any time.

Why must I "buy" a hat I steal in order to own it? :(

Oh well, I guess it's still better than having to "rest at an inn" in BG, if ya know what I mean....

Also, I hunted the legendary man eater but when I went to the trapper, my custom hat disappeared from the store. Myst or Must, I'm wondering if I have to go hunt another legendary man eater to gain the ability to buy that particular item again.

Tis a Kingdom Come: Western Edition

Why must I "buy" a hat I steal in order to own it? :(

I don't have the game so Im not sure what you mean?

Oh well, I guess it's still better than having to "rest at an inn" in BG, if ya know what I mean....

Is that new to the EE version or something? I rested every battle in BG (and BGII and ToB) regardless of location (fields, dungeons, inns).

Is that new to the EE version or something? I rested every battle in BG (and BGII and ToB) regardless of location (fields, dungeons, inns).

I think he's talking about how you can't rest on the street in a city. Or in other people's houses, even empty ones.

I can't recall if you can rest in your stronghold. I think you can.

• Like 2
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I don't have the game so Im not sure what you mean?

Like if I kill a guy and take his hat, I can wear it but if I lose it during a fight it's gone forever, as opposed to a hate you buy from the store. Hat is very easy to lose, if you get hit in a fight or shot at, your hate flies away forever, if you are wearing one that doesn't belong to you. I wish that you could at least swap an owned one for a stolen one, because some folk, say they wear one that not be avail in store or tailor.

And yar, Tale is right. I gotta say though, I love Beamdog <3

Rockstar hype never ceases to snag influx of attention. How long till the drawn out story/missions have you putting down the game for good?

Many pc eletists seem to have this mentality and because Rockstar treats pc eletists as a second-thought I kinda understand any bitterness that comes their way but the hype has been backed up quite nicely.

As others have said on this forum, the horses alone have more depth than any rpg npc you can name. Fishing and hunting in the game equally have more depth than stand alone hunting/fishing games. Companions are written with meaning, a maturity. All these things are lacking in your usual rpg.

To answer your question directly though, like I said, the open world is lively and the story is great. Honestly, I think I have another hundred hours or so befor I stop playing. And that's okay because by that time either Red Dead Online will be released or I'll be buying another game anyway. Either way, it's one of those few games that I am happy I paid over $60 for.

Like if I kill a guy and take his hat, I can wear it but if I lose it during a fight it's gone forever, as opposed to a hate you buy from the store. Hat is very easy to lose, if you get hit in a fight or shot at, your hate flies away forever, if you are wearing one that doesn't belong to you. I wish that you could at least swap an owned one for a stolen one, because some folk, say they wear one that not be avail in store or tailor.

It is my understanding from a Kotaku(?) article that when you lose a hat in a fight, or get hit, or it flies off that it is not in fact lost. I thought I read that there is an easy to overlook menu, buried maybe two layers deep in the wheel, where all the hats you've ever acquired are permanently stored. I could be wrong.

EDIT: Here is a different link that says similar.

• Like 1

Rockstar hype never ceases to snag influx of attention. How long till the drawn out story/missions have you putting down the game for good?

That statement can pretty much apply to every good game developer. But the answer is probably somewhere in the range of 30-60 hours for me. Hard to say so early on.

It is my understanding from a Kotaku(?) article that when you lose a hat in a fight, or get hit, or it flies off that it is not in fact lost. I thought I read that there is an easy to overlook menu, buried maybe two layers deep in the wheel, where all the hats you've ever acquired are permanently stored. I could be wrong.

EDIT: Here is a different link that says similar.

Thank you.

That statement can pretty much apply to every good game developer. But the answer is probably somewhere in the range of 30-60 hours for me. Hard to say so early on.
Yarp, it all depends on the player too or what they want out of the game, how they expect it to be vs how it turned out.

I think a common mistake or a myth rather in the gaming community is that someone can excuse their version/definition of fun by saying "Fun is fun" when in actuality, an outlook on fun and boredom are different from someone else's viewpoint.

Here's a dilemma:

I think the fishing in the game is kinda boring because it has the realistic sense of waiting, then you have to hook a fish as the game doesn't do it for you, breaking line and reeling in can be a pain depending on the fish struggling - however when you compare this to something like a Crpg or Jrpg that has fishing you really appreciate the depth and passion that Rockstar put into this.

As far as missions and side-quests, I haven't seen a bad one yet, some are just fetch quests but at least every one that I've played so far has an purpose and reason to it. Unlike something from a Elder Scrolls, Baldurs Gate or Fallout game. Rockstar just thought everything out well but I guess I could see how some people could view a country cowboy simulation as a bad thing.

The map takes a hell of a while to traverse as well, getting from point A to point B can take 15-20 minutes alone and if you have bounty hunters, it will slow you down even more. That could possibly get annoying but I'm loving every moment of it. If Henry was a cowboy, he'd be Arthur. And if Dragons Dogma's map was western, it would be Missouri in DDR2. If The Witcher 3 was magically transformed into a western, it would be Red Dead Redemption 2 easily, because it's up there with The Witcher 3 in terms of any aspect of quality.

By the way, for anyone who doesn't know, you do actually have to pay for Fast Travel and it only works one way - as far as I know. I just purchased the ability at camp.

Edited by SonicMage117

however when you compare this to something like a Crpg or Jrpg that has fishing you really appreciate the depth and passion that Rockstar put into this.

An RPG doesn't need to have a deep simulation of everything. Most user actions are highly abstract, especially in older RPGs, and they never suffered from it either.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

however when you compare this to something like a Crpg or Jrpg that has fishing you really appreciate the depth and passion that Rockstar put into this.

An RPG doesn't need to have a deep simulation of everything. Most user actions are highly abstract, especially in older RPGs, and they never suffered from it either.
Very true but in comparison their mini-games like fishing are like mobile phone games, that's not a bad thing, just shows how much love the devs put into the small details to make the game as immersive as possible. In most cases fishing in western rpg's and Jrpg's feel like a "claw" arcade game rather than fishing at all. Edited by SonicMage117

Many pc eletists seem to have this mentality and because Rockstar treats pc eletists as a second-thought I kinda understand any bitterness that comes their way but the hype has been backed up quite nicely.

As others have said on this forum, the horses alone have more depth than any rpg npc you can name. Fishing and hunting in the game equally have more depth than stand alone hunting/fishing games. Companions are written with meaning, a maturity. All these things are lacking in your usual rpg.

To answer your question directly though, like I said, the open world is lively and the story is great. Honestly, I think I have another hundred hours or so befor I stop playing. And that's okay because by that time either Red Dead Online will be released or I'll be buying another game anyway. Either way, it's one of those few games that I am happy I paid over $60 for.

Definitely not elite, their style, as said before, is done in the dirt for me. 

Point is, their games aren't replayable. I know that's not their aim but I really just like to stick to replayable games from here on out.

I am not 100% sure but I think it may have multiple endings, given the integrated reputation system and the choices of some main missions/side quests. I am not sure though, I haven't researched it to avoid spoilers. As far as characterization, you're pretty limited to being a outlaw as far as playing any role, so as the story goes so you're probably not gonna miss any of the missions through a single playthrough (unless you kill the npc who gives you the mission or should choose to decline it).