Nvidia RTX Series

Bokishi

4 hours ago, Humanoid said:

At least the art, unlike RGB bling, doesn't increase the system power consumption. Even if it is only by a couple of watts. ;)

Oh no, luckily, it has that as well. Random system I found with aforementioned Sakura card:

firefox_hjw91dMJnY.png

10 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

I'd unironically buy a Yeston card because of the 'art'.

Uh...thoughts and prayers? :p

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

Oh no, luckily, it has that as well. Random system I found with aforementioned Sakura card:

"Random system", as if that is not a shot of your rig. :p 

• Haha 5

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I don't know about risers, but I believe that there are adapters that will allow you to mount the GPU turned different ways. The problem is that GPUs are so gargantuan these days that they're going to cover up otherwise usable space no matter which way you turn them.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

The 40XX is such bad value at the moment that it's not worth losing your head over, just get a 30XX, or at the very least wait for the new AMD cards to appear. That's got to force some price movement on nVidia's end. Well, at least, I hope it will.

A reminder that 30XX cards and AMD cards are still horribly priced, they just look good next to the pricing catastrophe that is the 40XX series.

• Like 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Continuing to rock my crappy GTX 1060...continuing to not feel any pressure to upgrade. I guess it helps if you've completely given up on all AAA gaming and thus really have no need to upgrade. I'll probably buy a moderately priced AMD card at some point within the next couple of years assumin' the piece of crap works with current emulators, which was the key issue last time when neither the PS3 or Wii U emulators wanted to work with them.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

21 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Continuing to rock my crappy GTX 1060...continuing to not feel any pressure to upgrade. I guess it helps if you've completely given up on all AAA gaming and thus really have no need to upgrade. I'll probably buy a moderately priced AMD card at some point within the next couple of years assumin' the piece of crap works with current emulators, which was the key issue last time when neither the PS3 or Wii U emulators wanted to work with them.

970 here, what will force me eventually is the driver support. When the next gen comes out they will drop the driver support for the 9xx series. But at that point I'll just pick up some second hand crap that's out there.

• Like 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

My ultrawide was simultaneously my worst and my best purchase precisely because of the pressure to upgrade GPU. Especially now that pricing went to hell in a handbasket.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

3 hours ago, Pidesco said:

A reminder that 30XX cards and AMD cards are still horribly priced, they just look good next to the pricing catastrophe that is the 40XX series.

nVidias masterplan is working then 😕

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

So these new 8GB 3060s eh? Almost feels like the counterpart of the 4080, in that making them so horrifically bad (and confusing) would make the products above them sell better for fear of them being discontinued and missing out. The 4080 may have accelerated the sales of the 3080 and 3090 series, and indeed those seem to be in relatively short supply now, but there looks to be still plenty of 3060-3070 class cards around.

The most insane part of this is that if they had gone for 6GB instead and retained the 192-bit bus, it'd probably be a far, far better product than this monstrosity of a 128-bit card we ended up with. Disgraceful.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I still don't know why people don't just settle with laptops.  I mean you can pick up a 3070TiM, which is miles better than the RX 6800m and priced about the same with the equivalent 'other' specs (16gb DDR5, 1TB NvE SSD) for roughly $1-1.5k, seems like a no-brainer these days where glitzing out on glowing boxes and teh latest cement block of a GPU will cripple ya well and good.

JUST THROWING THAT OUT THERE

Edited by ComradeYellow

• 3 weeks later...

I get the feeling Steve is not very happy with the RTX 4070 Ti. Going to be interesting to see for how much these things are going to go in stores here. If it actually ends up being cheaper than the 7900 XTs, the value in terms of performance gain vs. cost over the performance of an RTX 3070 (Ti) isn't as bad as US MSRPs suggest (still not good, mind you), and as long as 7900 XTXs cost 1600€, well, never mind...

Also, uh, good job making the 7900 XT look good. :facepalm:

Edit: all that said, hard pass on this generation. 👎

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, majestic said:

Edit: all that said, hard pass on this generation.

Another generation, another...uh, generation that I skip. Man, my crappy GTX 1060 is getting a little lean in the years...

Although there could be a great mid-end card that I could eventually be persuaded by, regardless of how poor value the enthusiast products are.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Hmmm 1

3 minutes ago, Sarex said:

My 970 is spinning up a storm running Pathfinder WotR. :grin:

Yeah, if I was doing anything that needed or really even encouraged me to upgrade, I'd probably find the motivation to do so. But gaming isn't really a major hobby for me anymore (and hasn't been for maybe seven years now), and even when I am inclined, it's by and large either retro-styled or straight up emulated crap that doesn't need it, so...

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1