Political Thread XX

Amentep

Okay, but what do you say to people who don't have the primal urge to have sex? There are plenty, they called themselves Asexuals.

"Asexuality is the lack of sexual attraction to others, or low or absent interest in or desire for sexual activity. It may be considered the lack of a sexual orientation, or one of the variations thereof, alongside heterosexuality, homosexuality and bisexuality."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asexuality

Do you believe these people to be going against their primal urges/instinct?

Well yes and no. I am not expert in that field your behaviour is largely affected by chemicals in your body, some pople just have slighlty different mix in them. Pump someone with steroids and they became more aggresive for example

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

it perplexes us why trump, o' all people, would want a military triumph through the streets o' dc. in days and weeks leading up to such a parade, we will no doubt be regaled by numerous news sources with the military exploits o' cadet bone spurs.  he shed no blood for his country. he won no victories for his nation while fighting on the battlefield. why advocate a costly endeavor which will only draw more attention to trump's avoidance o' military service?

at the very least, if a parade does happen, we suggest trump riding at the back o' the parade, with a muslim woman or mexican child deportee holding a golden crown over the President's head and whispering into his ear, sic transit gloria mundi.

HA! Good Fun!

I suspect where some were hoping for something more like the traditional homecoming parades where serving men and women in ACUs and caps waved to crowds while walking down an avenue to a marching band Feldmarschall Bonespurs had this in mind:

I would think Mattis was in the former camp, and may have leaked this himself in the hopes that the bad press might convince Trump to at the very least settle for a far less costly spectacle. The original news piece belaboured the point that this is far more expensive than exercises originally scheduled with the ROK, and given the history of Trump tweets I imagine Mattis rubs his temples whenever Trump tries to lay out defence policy without consulting him first.

Trump's draft-dodging also seems particularly egregious in light of Mulvaney's attempt to drop protections against predatory loaning practices to veterans.

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

You know, they could have just put him on a podium on a mobile platform and towed/driven that podium around. Secret Service would probably have flashbacks to the JFK assassination if Trump tried to do what Jintao did and fervently say 'no bleeping way sir!'.

Trump apparently wanted something like the French parade with the pomp and circumstance. Though I'd imagine that he'd also have the artillery play out 'Hail to the chief!' in booms.

Edited by smjjames

The Old Testament 'God' wouldn't seem out of place in a polytheistic religion with the venegance and stuff, sometimes could have passed as a war god.

The Jewish God is near definitively a fire god from a polytheistic religion where at some point all the other gods' cults got the chop, there's just too many hints at that.

Judaism developing from Atenism is a hilarious hypothesis and about the only other non faith based suggestion with any weight to it, but the timings are problematic since Atenism in Egypt was 100+ years before Ramses II and the most likely time frame of Israelites being in Egypt.

A lot of the 'homosexual' stuff in animals is dominance related. That's probably why a bunch of things aren't included on wikipedia- like cow 'lesbianism' in dairy herds (which can be a serious problem when introducing new herd members...)

Yeah, Atenism was just one guys attempt to unilaterally and massively upset the status quo within a single generation and there aren't any indications of Egyptian cultural influence in Judaism as a religion (outside of being in Egypt for a time and Jesus's family going there for refuge) that I know of.

Thinking back on my own military experience that parade is something I'd be working very hard to get out of. Guys who get themselves a light duty chit for some petty BS are usually disparaged. But in this case it would be understood.

Let me tell you how this s--t will go down for the average Marine for example. Suppose you are a middling Lance Corporal infantryman who is not experienced or imaginative enough to "work the system" yet. If you were unlucky enough to get picked for this, your a-s WILL be there. So about a month before the event they will start having practices. Since this is a parade that ,means a lot of close order drill. An undemanding enough activity that becomes a grinding misery after a few hours. And you will likely do this twice a week the month before.Then about two weeks before the real prep work starts. Every bit of gear, weapons, boots & brass, whatever uniform you'll be wearing (if you are lucky it will be utilities. It will likely be Charlies. If it's Alphas or Dress Blues you poor bastard) will be cleaned, polished, and then cleaned and polished again. Plus every bit of hardware that will be displayed will be cleaned, serviced. then cleaned and serviced again. And again. 

Then the inspections will begin. The pre-inspections, platoon inspections, company inspections, regimental inspections, etc. Then will follow the re-inspections. Now keep in mind all the BS is going on in ADDITION to whatever training or jobs you have to do.

Then on the morning of if the "parade" begins in 0900 you can bet your a-s you will be standing tall, in formation, ready to step off at 0500. And you will stand there at parade rest until called to attention and ordered to forward march. And immediately afterwards you can look forward to 5 ton (if you are lucky) or a Cattle Car (if you're not) ride back to whatever base you came from to clean and turn in whatever hardware your unit brought to the parade. The crowds will be long gone and Trump will be done with his dinner before your day ends.

Ask Shady Sands or Manifested if I'm too far off here. I am not. You want to "honor" the troops? Step 1: Don't put this through this BS. Step 2: Give them a real day off. Full stand down. Better yet a 72 hour pass. THAT is something they will appreciate.

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Yeah, but who cares what the soldier doing the job thinks :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

You've mentioned that before too, Basically, they go through all sorts of crap to prepare for something useless just because the President wants a parade (as opposed to, say, a 4th of July parade, but at least you'd get a sense of purpose out of that) on a whim when the time could be used for far more useful things.

You guys that were (or still are) military can describe it in better detail far better than I, a civvie, ever could though.

Yeah, but who cares what the soldier doing the job thinks :p

Trump doesn't, obviously. He obviously just wants a parade better than the one France got, so he can **** measure.

Edited by smjjames

I remember I used to have to don my dress uniform and "man the rails" whenever we would pass under the Golden Gate bridge on our way out or returning from Westpac's. I actually loved doing it.

Yeah but that's over in like 30 minutes. I'd rather hump a '60 with four belts barefoot up Old Smokey on an August afternoon than take part in a dog and pony show like that parade

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

At that time, I was stationed on aircraft carriers (CVN-65 / CVN-72). We would go up on the flight deck and stand shoulder to shoulder around the outer perimeter at parade rest. That's "manning the rails". The city would also bust out those tug boats that have water shooting cannons on them (for fire fighting) and they would flank us spraying water in long high arcs. People would wait up on the GG and Bay bridges with banners and stuff. It was pretty cool.

The Old Testament 'God' wouldn't seem out of place in a polytheistic religion with the venegance and stuff, sometimes could have passed as a war god.

The Jewish God is near definitively a fire god from a polytheistic religion where at some point all the other gods' cults got the chop, there's just too many hints at that.

Judaism developing from Atenism is a hilarious hypothesis and about the only other non faith based suggestion with any weight to it, but the timings are problematic since Atenism in Egypt was 100+ years before Ramses II and the most likely time frame of Israelites being in Egypt.

I, too, have done a fair share of Judaism, the similarities are true - that's why I chose Non-Denominational Christianity. Seeing how all the pieces of the puzzle fitted together much better with the new testament and thus, making for a clearer picture.

But then, I've also heard some crazy theories that the four horsemen were based off of Atilla pillaging Rome, just because it hapoened before the Four Horsemen were written about. That to me was pretty hilarious in itself. Strange but I guess people will always feel the need to link something that has similarities, everything has to be "inspired" but from what?

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Yeah, Atenism was just one guys attempt to unilaterally and massively upset the status quo within a single generation and there aren't any indications of Egyptian cultural influence in Judaism as a religion (outside of being in Egypt for a time and Jesus's family going there for refuge) that I know of.

There are a few links between Atenism and Judaism, but they're mostly equivocal- shared traits between multiple near east religions, and Judaism clearly evolved a fair bit after Moses which also muddies the waters. There's some circumstantial evidence for an atenism origin as well (timing for example, going monotheistic after leaving Egypt which was the only other place with a known monotheistic religion), but it too is equivocal with a change from poly to monotheistic belief.

The problem really is with Exodus being a religious rather than historical text- even just naming the pharaohs would have sorted most of it out..

according to a unanimous US Senate, the press is not the enemy of the people. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-08-16/trump-indirectly-rebuffed-by-senate-over-freedom-of-the-press

later in the same day, the Senate unanimous concluded the earth is roughly spherical and not flat. the wh criticized the resolution as advancing liberal bias and indulging in a witch hunt against flat earthers. trump, via tweet, claimed a real AG would have prevented the spherical earth hoax and betsy devos reassured americans by pointing out how it would remain up to individual states to decide whether or not to teach alternative earth theories. 

in other news, inspired by trump's recent tweets regarding the press, Sinclair media announced it is hard at work crafting a response to address the evil which is media collusion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCuX4Up-plc

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

@G1fted

Reincarnation is...technically possible. If someone is born that is similar to you in almost every way, then you are reborn!

Likely, 'you' have also lived in the past.

But yeah, telling a child that there is a god that rights every wrong in this world is a very bad thing to do: 'Oh look, there is the guy who bullied me at work and now he is getting a raise, why hast thou forsaken me god!!!'

Edited by Katphood

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

according to a unanimous US Senate, the press is not the enemy of the people. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-08-16/trump-indirectly-rebuffed-by-senate-over-freedom-of-the-press

later in the same day, the Senate unanimous concluded the earth is roughly spherical and not flat. the wh criticized the resolution as advancing liberal bias and indulging in a witch hunt against flat earthers. trump, via tweet, claimed a real AG would have prevented the spherical earth hoax and betsy devos reassured americans by pointing out how it would remain up to individual states to decide whether or not to teach alternative earth theories. 

in other news, inspired by trump's recent tweets regarding the press, Sinclair media announced it is hard at work crafting a response to address the evil which is media collusion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCuX4Up-plc

HA! Good Fun!

Sinclair trying to oust the media for collusion is so ironic when they themselves collude to control many TV stations and be effectively a state TV network.

...and postponed.

Heartening to an extent that the current administration isn't totally immune to, putting it mildly, bad press, particularly in light of the proposed Space Force, a defence budget that only offsets real decreases as a result of inflation, and Trump's own avoidance of service. If the Democrats don't seize defeat from the jaws of victory and the "Blue Wave" pans out, who knows? Maybe this can keeps getting kicked to the right indefinitely.

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

48% of republicans agree, "the news media is the enemy of the American people."

https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/editorials/2018/08/15/editorial/Kt0NFFonrxqBI6NqqennvL/story.html

am not certain there has been such naked hostility directed at the press since the civil war, and whereas there were legit (though inflated) fears o' seditious and treasonous intent 'mongst some northern journalists and publishers o' the day, we do not current have a particular bloody and destructive conflict 'pon which to blame growing suspicion and contempt for the press. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

*points at the bloody war of 2016*. Okay, not literally bloody, but it did kind of crystallize what has been building up for years on the right, fuel lens by the likes of Fox News.

I also wonder how many of those are just people agreeing with Trump without giving any thought to it.

*points at the bloody war of 2016*. Okay, not literally bloody, but it did kind of crystallize what has been building up for years on the right, fuel lens by the likes of Fox News.

I also wonder how many of those are just people agreeing with Trump without giving any thought to it.

Lol, if you think that 'right' wing media are responsible for Trump you are delusional xD

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

This notion that the media, any part of it, is somehow the enemy of the people is more than a little silly. Equally silly is the notion that any of it is the impartial gatekeepers of all that is true. It's a consumable product that people are trying to sell you for a profit. That is all it is and has ever been. Their "standards" and "journalistic integrity" exist only in their actions. There is no law that says they must tell the truth. There are penalties for lying about people in ways that do them harm. When a journalist of any stripe sits down as hist computer, notebook, tablet, they are under no obligation to anything other than their own ethics. Most media imposes standards on itself because they do want to be thought of as credible. If the product you're selling is deemed worthless you won't sell much of it.

Now there IS a law that says the government must leave it be to pursue it's business. And that is a law that is coming perilously close (but never quite) to being violated.

Pepsi is not the enemy of Coca Cola drinkers.

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

Lol, if you think that 'right' wing media are responsible for Trump you are delusional xD

I didn't say that, just that the right has their hand in creating the anti-media atmosphere.

One thing is missing from the article. The acknowledgement that the press is equally responsible for this situation. 

He seems to get what I meant.