Somewhere in Old Vailia, 15-year-old Dervide Riso gave his crush, Centa Enricis a carved rod with which she was supposed to scratch her back. A bully, Marco Zaurippi, took the rod and threw it onto a frozen river. While trying to retrieve it, Dervide fell through the thin ice and with him his beloved pet bear Frogfish. They were pulled away by the current. Dervide suddenly found himself in the local library and discovered his ability to "jump" from one place to another. Amazed with his new ability, he left his permanently boozed father and leaped away from home. Frogfish simply drowned that day but was too dumb to notice, so he followed Dervide as a ghooohoohoost. Booo!

Eight years later, an adult Dervide lived lavishly on stolen money and fed his Frogfish imaginary golden currywurst nearly every day. One other day, he was ambushed in his home by Lolrand Capon, a member of the Goldpact Knight Paladins, who was hired to tracking down Dervide because of his habit to steal everything that's not nailed down. But Dervide escaped with some nice evasive leaps. Feeling that he needed to leave the hot zone, he returned to Old Vailia, seeking his old crush Centa. Unfotunately she turned out to be ugly like an Ogre Matron who regularly ate directly from the deep fat fryer without cutlery. When Marco attacked him again, Dervide leaped right behind him and hit him with a newly carved rod. A Blast got released and Marcos head exploded! Yikes! Dervide quickly cleaned up the mess and from that point on decided to turn off the gib option in his life menu. He then returned to Centa. After talking, they shared a kiss - brrrr - and "let the rod have a blast". Yikes again!
Dervide then invited her on a trip to the Dyrwood because some wacko Rodriguez lord made a call for settlers.

Dervide and Centa finally arrived in the Dyrwood by ship. But when they got on shore, Centa tripped over her greasy shoelaces and fell off the gangway and into the Dyrwooden mud. One half-unwitting leap later Dervide found himself amongst some people with a caravan and was a bachelor again. During some neat adventures that followed and which involved going on the nerves of some fake gods, killing a guy with two inbecile living statues with big noses, opening up an ancient forge and killing sevel dragons with magnificent Blasts from his rod he became the Lord of Caed Nua by killing some presumptuous smug. Lots of killing lately, really. Then onother imbecile statue emerged... Yikes!

"See you later Watershaper
far'well-ahoy fishy boy.
I'll have to borrow your back scraper
'cause it will be my new toy."

- Dervide Riso while stealing Tekehu's rod -

the_deep_leap.png?dl=1

===================================
The Deep Leap
===================================
Difficulty: PotD v. 1.2
--------------------------------------------------------------
Solo: untested
Class: Ghost Heart/Trickster
Race: Wood Elf (alternative: whatever)
Background: Old Vailia - Dissident
Stats:
MIG: 15
CON: 03
DEX: 19
PER: 19
INT: 19
RES: 03
Abilities | Skills | Proficiencies (a=automatic)
01. Marked Prey + Crippling Strike + Arkemy'r Dazzling Lights (a) | Rod, Arbalest
02. Escape | +1 Arcana (-> 1), +1 Diplomacy (-> 2)
03. Wounding Shot | +1 Arcana (-> 2), +1 Streetwise (-> 2)
04. Marksman + Dirty Fighting + Mirrored Image (a) | +1 Arcana (-> 3), +1 Bluff (-> 3) | Scepter
05. Blinding Strike | +1 Arcana (-> 4), +1 Diplomacy (-> 3)
06. Two-Handed Style | +1 Arcana (-> 5), +1 Streetwise (-> 3)
07. Evasive Roll + Arterial Strike + Ryngrim's Repulsive Visage (a) | +1 Arcana (-> 6), +1 Bluff (-> 4)
08. Gouging Strike | +1 Arcana (-> 7), +1 Diplomacy (-> 4) | Pistol
09. Marked for the Hunt | +1 Arcana (-> 8 ), +1 Streetwise (-> 4)
10. Concussive Shot + Withering Strike + Llengrath's Displaced Image (a) | +1 Arcana (-> 9), +1 Bluff (-> 5)
11. Protective Companion | +1 Arcana (-> 10), +1 Diplomacy (-> 5)
12. Stalker's Link | +1 Arcana (-> 11), +1 Streetwise (-> 5) | Crossbow
13. Driving Flight + Deep Wounds + Confusion (a) | +1 Arcana (-> 12), +1 Bluff (-> 6)
14. Accurate Wounding Shot | +1 Arcana (-> 13), +1 Diplomacy (-> 6)
15. Finishing Blow | +1 Mechanics (-> 2), +1 Streetwise (-> 6)
16. Concussive Tranquilizer + Toxic Strike + Arkemy'r Wondrous Torment (a) | +1 Mechanics (-> 3), +1 Bluff (-> 7) | Arquebus
17. Survival of the Fittest | +1 Mechanics (-> 4), +1 Diplomacy (-> 7)
18. Devastating Blow | +1 Mechanics (-> 5), +1 Streetwise (-> 7)
19. Accurate Empower + Deathblows + Gaze of the Andragan (a)| +1 Mechanics (-> 6), +1 Bluff (-> 8 )
20. Lasting Empower | +1 Mechanics (-> 7), +1 Diplomacy (-> 8 ) | Wand
---------------------------------------------------------------
Items (!=important, r=recommended)
Weapon Set 1: Watershaper's Focus (! - +Ondra's Wrath, +Legendary)
Weapon Set 2: Spearcaster (+Pinning, +Missile upgrade)

Head: Acina's Tricorn (r - for ranged ACC - also works with certain spells)
Back: Magnificent Escape Cape
Neck: Charm of Bones (for more Blast AoE and longer DoTs)
Armor: Aloth's Leather Armor (+Superb, +Structurally Stable, Known Causality - for the Blast AoE)
Waist: Spellkeeper (for the fun)
Hands: Burglar's Gloves / Aegor's Swift Touch
Rings: Ring of Overseeing (for the Blast AoE), Ring of the Marksman
Boots: Boots of Speed
Pet: Loki (because it's a Trickster and Loki is the trickster-god ;) And because of Blast's AoE of course)
Hi!

The Dead Leap? What's that?
It the combination of Deep Wounds with DoT afflictions, Blast with several jumps and leaping around to and fro on the battlefield.

What's interesting about this build?
It's the Watershaper's Focus! Believe it or not, but when you combine the Focus' inherent jump with Driving Flight and Ondra's Wrath (enchantment of the Focus) you can reliably produce a chain reaction of multiple Blasts jumping around and also multiple crushing waves rolling around so that everything is dead that can't swim. :)
Only thing is: you want to have the enemies in one spot to make this happen - because recovery is so sluggish you can only afford to fire twice: out of stealth and then immediately after (because stealth reduces recovery by 85%). But honestly: two is all you need...

So if there's let's say 5 enemies in a tight spot and I shoot them with Watershaper's Focus + Driving Flight, I theoretically generate 3*5 = 15 hits with one shot. Each hit would have a 15% chance to trigger Ondra's Wrath. This would mean a nearly certain proc chance of over 90%.

Something weird is going on...
But that's not all. Something else is going on. I suspect that the Wrath's crushing attacks themselves jump, too. Because I generate not 15 or even 30, but hundrets of hits with this setup as long as there are enough enemies. Ondra's Wrath usually triggers multiple times as long as there are more than three enemies. Combined with Deep Wounds and for example Arterial Strike I also add so much raw DoT that most mobs just explode in a wave of crushing water *booooom*. Even if some survive they get felled rather quickly by Deep Wounds + Arterial Strike (and/or Toxic Strike and/or Gouging Strike).
If you manage to gather the enemy in one spot, encounter is over before it even starts most of the time.

Single enemies are no problem as well: I shoot them with Spearcaster + Arterial Strike and leap here and there to make them follow me. They die like with any other rogue.

Sneaky crowd control: Who's there?
Now that we know that we have to cramp as many enemies as we can into a tight spot, how can we do that? Sparkcrackers? Meh...
But doesn't Arkemy'r Dazzling Lighs work the same way? It does! That's actuall my no. 1 reason for picking Trickster And if you don't hit an enemy with it you even stay stealthed. That's important because the recovery bonus of stealth (85%) lets you fine two shots in very quick succession if you start shooting from stealth. So the huge recovery malus of Blast is not noticeable between the first two shots. But two shots of this caliber should be enough for most enemy groups, shouldn't it? It should. Even high level enemies with a lot of health (like Rathuns for example) nearly aloways get one- or two-shotted as long as you can get them to gather in one place.

Additional stuff
Besides the powerful AoE behavior I also found out that gaze spells like Gaze of the Andragan work with Driving Flight (=two chances to paralyze) and also work with the hat's accuracy bonus. Neat...

The cons
What are the weaknesses? Obviously enemy gunmen. Since this build is extremely squishy as long as you didn't cast Mirrored Image he can get screwed by ranged enemies pretty quickly. But to be honest I like the "all or nothing" approach.

Plays like...
This build basically plays like an Assassin without being one. The difference is that you assassinate the whole encounter if everything works smoothly, not only one single enemy. ;)

But what about...
Now you might think: would a pure Ranger with Twinned Shot be even more devastating? I also thought about that and tested it - but funnily enough a pure Ranger with Twinned Shots doesn't perform half as good as the Scout. I guess it is because of Deep Wounds, Sneak Attack and all the DoTs you do apply. But to be honest I don't really know why the scout performs so much better. I only know that the Scout one-shots nearly every cramped group while a Ranger doesn't - even though the Ranger can generate six Blasts with one shot. If somebody wants to find out what really-really happens: be my guest! :)

Variants (after a nerf...?)

Another nice variant is to pick Sharpshooter/Street Fighter instead and use Fire in the Hole and Hand Mortar. The dps is better after the initial attacks because rod's Blast causes 50% recovery penalty.  

Vids
I have huge problems recording the game atm. I get massive flickering blue bars when trying to capture a vid directy from the graphics card. I blame my drivers. What works is Peek (makes short animated GIFs). And if I'm honest I like those even more than Youtube vids for some unknown reason. Maybe because they remind me of Monkey Island? :) Enjoy (open tags to load animated gif)!

Luring enemies to a spot with Arkemy'r Dazzling Lights:

lure_dazzling.gif?dl=1

One-shot of a group of Rotghasts:

one_shot_rotghast.gif?dl=1

Attacking a group of Rathun Raiders out of stealth with Empower:

two_shot_rathun_raiders.gif?dl=1

Attacking a group of Rathun Raiders from stealth without Empower:

two_shot_rathun_raiders_wo_empower.gif?d

With Empower - without Empower - makes no difference, hehe.

Edit: had to rewrite some text because of major forum formatting screwup that put links everywhere. Yikes!

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 18

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

So, how did you make the fancy gifs? :)

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

The rod's Blast AoE hits do not jump themselves. If you have three jumps with Blast you simply get three Blasts as if you had done them one after the other. I suspect that Ondra's Wrath jumps, too and that causes this sort of reaction. It's not infinite though. Just a LOT of hit rolls. :)

Edited by Boeroer

So, how did you make the fancy gifs? :)

With Peek, a very simple tool for Linux (doesn't record sound, only screen). It can also save vids as MP4 and such - but I found this to be cooler somehow when tinkering around with it.  It can do even more pixelated versions. ;)

• Like 1

Wow I love this one, this is spot on my taste in a character! Also u are very detailed in your build descriptions gotta give u credit for that :)

Also I had no idea u could use dazzling lights that way. That's really handy and adds additional flavor to the trickster!

Edited by Dorftek
  • Like 2

Build looks hilariously fun. I think I'd lose interest pretty quickly though if I never have to actually fight 90% of the battles.

Question, where do you get Loki from? Haven't found him but I do have Peter (another black/grey cat) who provides 15% AoE damage to me and 5% AoE radius to party. More or less the same effect?

• Like 1

Nice! The interaction is very interesting to say the least.

And so I took a deeper look,and yes "Ondras_wrath_Ranged" is a ranged attack with a projectile. Or rather is the AoE's delivery mechanism. It even have a Bounce Data node. And therefore affected by Driving Flight.

2Fg9vVv.jpg

So I guess the strength comes from

• AoE modal interaction with bounce
  • Driving flight affected Ondra's Wrath triggered attack
  • Rogue's strikes seems to apply an Initial DoT tick at the initial trigger, and it benefits from the AoE modal.
By tweaking the bundle files, I was able to remove the additional bounce.

JyDauEe.jpg?1

You can see that Ondra's Wrath is procc'ing 3 times because 3 attacks (base + Focus + Driving Flight). So further tweaking yields this. (Limiting OW to 1 proc)

QgwsZFM.jpg?1

I think the real key is the overlapping AoE. First caused by the Driving Flight derived Rogue Strikes, followed by the multiple Ondra's Wrath AoE (triggered by the driving flight affected delivery projectile mechanism).

So obviously, CW will work extremely well, I think :p

Edited by mosspit
  • Like 1

Nice! The interaction is very interesting to say the least.

And so I took a deeper look,and yes "Ondras_wrath_Ranged" is a ranged attack with a projectile. Or rather is the AoE's delivery mechanism. It even have a Bounce Data node. And therefore affected by Driving Flight.

2Fg9vVv.jpg

So I guess the strength comes from

• AoE modal interaction with bounce
  • Driving flight affected Ondra's Wrath triggered attack
  • Rogue's strikes seems to apply an Initial DoT tick at the initial trigger, and it benefits from the AoE modal.
By tweaking the bundle files, I was able to remove the additional bounce.

JyDauEe.jpg?1

You can see that Ondra's Wrath is procc'ing 3 times because 3 attacks (base + Focus + Driving Flight). So further tweaking yields this. (Limiting OW to 1 proc)

QgwsZFM.jpg?1

I think the real key is the overlapping AoE. First caused by the Driving Flight derived Rogue Strikes, followed by the multiple Ondra's Wrath AoE (triggered by the driving flight affected delivery projectile mechanism).

So obviously, CW will work extremely well, I think :p

Ah, nice analysis. :)

Combusting Wounds + Ranger (so basically Geomancer) also worked well, but not as good as Scout. It's not only the damage, but also because it evolves a lot more casting time. CW is not really a quick cast. The CW did not seem to get quenched by the Wrath's water/crush attack though (as it's supposed to). It's the same as with Frostseeker + CW. I think those secondary attacks/effects are not keyworded properly?

Build looks hilariously fun. I think I'd lose interest pretty quickly though if I never have to actually fight 90% of the battles.

Question, where do you get Loki from? Haven't found him but I do have Peter (another black/grey cat) who provides 15% AoE damage to me and 5% AoE radius to party. More or less the same effect?

The risky "assassin" all-or-nothing approach that goes horribly wrong sometimes helps to uphold the tension. ;)

Loki can be bought at that pet merchant in Neketaka/Serpent's Crown.

I wanted to have a really big AoE because the damage doesn't matter that much if you get that many procs. Also the higher move speed of the party is Handy. But basically yes: you could easily swap those. Honestly the main reason that I use Loki is the name. ;)

No, it's a special interaction between Ondra's Wrath and Driving Flight + Rogue's DoT strikes. The components themselves are not particularly overpowered. It's technically not a bug because they all work like inteneded - just the combo is very strong. I guess that the jumping behavior of Ondra's Wrath will be removed or capped in the future to prevent this. Then this build would be still totally viable and fun (the jumping rod projectile will still trigger Ondra's Wrath often enough) but will not be able to one- or two-shot every group anymore. But at that moment Fire in the Hole + Hand Mortar would be the better weapon choice.

Hehe. Well it has been the case in the past (Retaliation Cipher, Envenomed Blights and so on) and I guess it will also happen here.

If they only remove the jump feature from the AoE splash of Ondra's Wrath it will only "nerf" this particular build, not the weapon itself (if it's used in a more common way) or the other individual components of this combo.

And as I said: the build would stay viable even when Ondra's Wrath itself does not bounce around ike crazy.

But of course it's always sad if the fruit of one's labor gets spoiled. I mean it takes some time to play, test, record and write that stuff down. More work than simply filing a bug report. ;)  

• Like 1

CW not working is unfortunate, I assumed it did. Guess all good things from PoE1 is gone.

What should work will be Avenging Storm and Turning Wheel. Avenging Storm I am fairly certain can be integrated.

Ofc if you talking about solo, anything that isn’t fast cast is not practical. But in a party setting, this char can be the last to reveal and have a few some seconds to itself to cast buffs and stuff.

Edited by mosspit

CW not working is unfortunate, I assumed it did. Guess all good things from PoE1 is gone.

What should work will be Avenging Storm and Turning Wheel. Avenging Storm I am fairly certain can be integrated.

Ofc if you talking about solo, anything that isn’t fast cast is not practical. But in a party setting, this char can be the last to reveal and have a few some seconds to itself to cast buffs and stuff.

For solo you can use this combination only as first attack from invise then you need to use something else, so no AS on fight start, but i assume you can use shadow beyond rebuff and then repeat  :D 

Edited by mant2si

Solo PotD builds: The Glanfathan Soul Hunter (Neutral seer. Dominate and manipulate your enemies), Harbinger of Doom (Dark shaman. Burn and sacrifice, yourself and enemies for Skaen sake)

Welcome back O Captain, my captain

• Like 3

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

I tried Twinned Shots and Avenging Storm (Scroll). It was beautiful. I guess it was pretty close to what CW could have been.

In any case, the key for the mechanism besides Driving Flight and Focus is the need to have as large as a AoE as possible to ensure the OW triggers

Max trigger times for OW is 9

• 3 times proc by the AoE from the active skill (Arterial Strike). Scales with density
  • 3 times proc by the Driving Flight project delivery method of OW. Triggered by above point
  • Potential 3 times triggers by the base attacks themselves (projectile | non-aoe | density independent)
With enough density, you are almost guaranteed to land 6 OW AoEs. The remaining 3 are semi-decent chance from the base projectile.

The OW AoE is quite generous at 6(m?). So enemies hit by the rod modal will most likely get OW dmg.

Edited by mosspit