@mosspit do you know if OW proc on each target in rod AOE modal ? I assume obsidian will 100% nerf range AOE skills transferring, and this nerf can reduce OW procs rate for each first projectile and may reduce  average DM for this combination

Edited by mant2si

Solo PotD builds: The Glanfathan Soul Hunter (Neutral seer. Dominate and manipulate your enemies), Harbinger of Doom (Dark shaman. Burn and sacrifice, yourself and enemies for Skaen sake)

@mant2si
What the upgrade for the Focus does is to apply a status of infinite duration to fire off OW 15% of the time. I am guessing it was done this way to decouple the regular attacks from the OW effects. In order words, yes, OW will hit rod modal enemies. That is part of reason why this mechanics has a shotgun effect.

Because OW is decoupled from the regular attacks, there is a consideration to how to select the OW target (epicentre of the AoE). So that's why the game uses a projectile "attack" with no dmg as the delivery method, as the attack proc'ing the effect is also a projectile. But it leads to the effect of multiple OW triggers due to Driving Flight. Intended or otherwise, I am not too concerned with unless it leads the game breaking in other ways (breaking here is meaning crashing or something that really impacts UX negatively).

This is ofc comes from my interpretation of what happens behind the scenes. So feel free to confirm the mechanics yourself as well :)

I've just deleted a bunch of off-topic arguments about the game.   This thread is about a particular build.  There are other places you can go if you wish to discuss the game or the philosophies behind balancing the game.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

So how squishy is this build Boeroer? We talking 1-2 hits and dead?

Because you have Mirrored Image you can take a few attacks. It's not that bad at higher levels. But sure - pretty squishy. But one could easily change the stats and not gimp the damage much. 

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

On topic: @Boeroer how does the build play prior to getting driving flight? Considering rolling it before the inevitable nerf and am curious how painful the early game will be.

It plays pretty nicely because you can apply Arterial Strike and Gouging Strike in an AoE from stealth in a second - and then just escape/evade around (fooling rushers) and attack more (either with Spearcaster or with rod if enemies still clump together). The fun with spearcaster is that you can immediately escape/evade after shots because it has no recovery (only reload). So jumping to a safe distance, reloading, shooting and jumping away right before they reach you is cool. ;)

• Like 1

I'm sorry to write off topic @Boeroer, but I would like to contact you via PM or other direct ways, as it seems you blocked PM's on forum. It's related to modding (but not about how to do, no worries :) I'll delete this post later.

Edited by tonpix

Hi. I didn't block PM. But it may be that my inbox is full again. Unfortunately this happens from time to time without me noticing. I will check and clear it so I can get messages again.

Edit: yep, it was 50 again. I deleted some messages, now you can write me again. :)

Edited by Boeroer

• 2 weeks later...

Outstanding work, Boeroer. Well, to be expected from you, really.

I might try the mortar Sharpshooter/Streetfighter variant. Both for the speed and for the added Sneak damage.

Probably will drop the Dex a bit and raise the Con a little then - speed has diminishing returns after all.

I'm wondering about picking both Escape and Evasive Roll. Aren't they redundant? Or do you think it's worth it to have mobility abilities from 2 different resource pools? I was thinking about picking Evasive Roll only (provides Quick and has slightly longer range).

I'm also debating Strike the Bell. A total of +5 Penetration Ability should come very handy on a low Pen weapon vs armored opponents, no?

Although I guess your version mostly relies on the massive DoTs, which don't care about that much.

Want to also pick Thorny Roots, Slippery Mind.

Any comments are welcome.

Yes, I took Evasive Roll and Escape so that I always have one mobility ability as long as I have at least 1 Guile or 1 Bond.

Thorny Roots is quite cool. I only recently noticed that it's an AoE ability in Deadfire. Totally missed that. Those things happen if you have too much PoE stuff stuck in your brains. ;)

Yes, I took Evasive Roll and Escape so that I always have one mobility ability as long as I have at least 1 Guile or 1 Bond.

Thorny Roots is quite cool. I only recently noticed that it's an AoE ability in Deadfire. Totally missed that. Those things happen if you have too much PoE stuff stuck in your brains. ;)

Ohyes I love thorny roots and the small AoE is no problem with a pull of eora and some timing. The duration on the root is beastly evil!

Seems like rods are Deflection after all.

I'm wondering about Fire in the Hole. I thought its Chain Shot upgrade to be the best thing since sliced bread, but now I'm not sure anymore. +15% Reload time can be mostly avoided using full attacks with another offhand. -15% damage hurts a bit more. Particularly when one considers that the bounce seems to be at -50% damage!

Particularly on a Ranger with Driving Flight, this could potentially be a damage loss.

Does anyone know how to get more information about effects of aoe attacks?

Know individual hit and damage rolls? Right now with mortarts it's along the line of: 1 miss, 1 graze, 2 hit, 1 crit or some such.

I'd like to know a lot more.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's not really busted. Build works still fine but is not as OP anymore - now that Ondra's Wrath is not working like a ranged projectile anymore.

Hand mortars are a nice alternative. I think I mentioned this in the starting post.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

It's not really busted. Build works still fine but is not as OP anymore - now that Ondra's Wrath is not working like a ranged projectile anymore.

Hand mortars are a nice alternative. I think I mentioned this in the starting post.

Got it! Must've missed the blunderbuss part!

• 1 month later...

Wait, gaze spells like the Gaze of Adragon actually works with Driving Flight?!!!

Holy crap.

Has this been fixed or still working as it did?

So I guess Wizard/Ranger is a possibility?

Do gaze spells still work like this?

Could it be that only gaze spells from weapons work like this?

EDIT: Also, what about using The Eye of Wael with this build for more invisibility?

Edited by hansvedic