Politics Thread - Ka-tet of 19

Blarghagh

Trump fist-bumped Turkish leader Erdogan, said he "does things the right way"

And people still vote for this douche waffle.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

The case is I cannot find any other news that confirms it but doesn't use CBS as their source. And there is no actual footage. Weird.

The fist bump itself wouldn't be much of a surprise as he fist bumps other world leaders and politicians. It's just circumstances that are a bit skeevy... but I did add supposedly as a CYA :p

Free games updated 3/4/21

Trump fist-bumped Turkish leader Erdogan, said he "does things the right way"

And people still vote for this douche waffle.

Which douche waffle, Captain Orange or the Ankara Watermelon Seller?

I'll say this for Trump, he's 100% correct about the EU being a rival of the US and anyone who doesn't accept that is naive.

Yeah but it's one of those things it's poor form to state, same with China I suppose.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Saying it makes think tankers heads explode with rage though, and that's such a colossal plus I cannot bring myself to care about it being 'impolite'. It's fact, and at some point it has to be stated as fact.

And for all the outrage he is kind of right (facpov, of course) about most of the controversial stuff he has said; Germany is reliant on Russia for energy and won't not be for the forseeable future and that along with their military being... ill prepared gives Russia a huge advantage when dealing with them, the EU is a rival, the list of countries who have had the US interfere in their elections is longer than those invaded by Britain and included that moron Yeltsin's election in 1996 where US intervention was about as overt as you get short of an actual coup. Realistically there will be a European Army at some point, and that's fact. As soon as that happens the time is ticking on NATO, and it won't be the US pulling out. It just outrages some people to have it said out loud.

Well that is true, Trump people seem to really be WUMs as well. Have to imagine that people that actually are relevant do know these things already, diplomacy is a bit of an art involving that and some things are brought up with no solution in mind so is not productive. Really does remind me of pretty much every work meeting, come to think of it. On the bright side, and again similar to work, nothing much will come of it either way, I feel.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Pretty predictable. Trump: @ WTO 'F**k you!' *Trump rips the US out of the WTO, chaos ensues*

He wants to exit the WTO, losing the case would be the perfect excuse, as BS as that is, with it's own wide ranging consequences and implications.

Since Trump is under the belief that Putin runs a tight ship, I'm curious if he'd be willing to take a page out of his playbook to MRGA, considering the crisis the US Social Security system is in:

Russia, on quest for budget savings, to raise retirement age

Andrey Ostroukh, Polina Nikolskaya

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russia’s government wants to raise the retirement age for both men and women and to increase value-added tax, unpopular measures it hopes will ease pressure on state finances, Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev said on Thursday.

Russian officials, including President Vladimir Putin, have long talked about raising the retirement age but have shied away from doing so, in part because such measures risk stirring up popular discontent and damaging politicians’ popularity.

However, Medvedev said on Thursday that the government, which Putin re-appointed last month after his own re-election for another six-year term, was now facing a shrinking workforce and had to act to protect the budget.

“We have long prepared for a higher retirement age and have only reached this point now,” Medvedev told a cabinet meeting in an announcement that coincided with the opening of soccer’s World Cup in Russia.

Medvedev said the government wanted to increase the retirement age for men to 65 from 60 years of aged and for women to 63 from 55. The changes would be introduced gradually, starting in 2019.

The Russian budget is under pressure from a growing number of pensioners and a shrinking workforce caused by sluggish birth rate in the early 2000s.

A higher pension age would allow the government to raise pensions payments while freeing up state funds that could be spent on spurring economic growth amid Western financial and economic sanctions.

Medvedev said the government also wanted to raise value- added tax to 20 percent from 18 percent. That increase could add at least an extra 600 billion roubles ($9.64 billion) a year to government revenue, said First Deputy Prime Minister Anton Siluanov.

He said a higher rate of VAT would lead to higher prices, adding 1.5 percent to the consumer inflation index.

The central bank made no immediate comment on the measures proposed by the government, observing a week of silence before a rate-setting meeting on Friday.

The government is likely to introduce legislation into the State Duma, the lower house of parliament, in the near future to enact the VAT and retirement age changes.

It is rare for the Duma, which is controlled by the ruling party, United Russia, to oppose the government on major policy initiatives.

Hey, the MAGA crowd might give Trump a pass on it. The way some of them tell it the single issue that makes or breaks a candidate for them is whether or not he or she will be careful not to hurt Trump's feelings. 

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

I won't debate that, and arguably this approach is also part of Macron's vision for re-energising France's economy. However Trump talked up a big game that not one cent would be cut from Social Security and Medicare, a platform break from the GOP that likely clinched him the nomination. The goals of ensuring the solvency of entitlement programs for the future, cutting taxes on the wealthy, a proposed infrastructure program, and an increase in defence spending (the current budget was somewhat less than what many analysts were predicting) are tough to reconcile.

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Weren’t there at least two different proposals for infrastructure programs? They both got swallowed almost instantly by the Trump admins own chaos. I guess they might give it another go after midterms, although I’ve heard that Trump was thinking of doing another tax cut push, if Congress is willing to go along with it.

Still astonishes me that there's young who people want these jobs back, in spite of having parents who told them they did the work so they could grow up not doing it.

-Rod Serling

Still astonishes me that there's young who people want these jobs back, in spite of having parents who told them they did the work so they could grow up not doing it.

Wouldn't that be because those jobs have typically paid a living wage, and their disappearance have left a dearth of jobs that do (especially in places that used to be heavily revolving around it)? But that's really just a symptom of a host of other problems - crazy inflation vs. wages not keeping up with it vs. an asinine housing market vs. globalism, outsourcing, and immigrants/imported workers, etc.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

TREEEEEASOOOOON!!!1UNO!

See folks, that's the problem with the sky falling every single day on all these Chicken Little's, you have to keep ratcheting it up for every subsequent story. Pretty soon Trump will have been responsible for the extinction of the dinosaurs. :lol:

Not sure they do, think they've accused him of such so far. Heh, Scaramouchie is probably right when he says he's conflating Russian interference with saying he's illegitimate and he's a small man about insults.

Did you know that the EXACT strain of smallpox that wiped out the Inca's can be found lying dormant in Trump's blood. :p

Not sure that works, you have to make somewhat plausible even if absurd :p